The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

The Jar

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Feb 14, 1964 on CBS

• Quite possibly the best hour of TV ever

I first saw "The Jar" several years ago in syndication. I had seen a short synopsis in my local TV listings: "Woman is frightened by the contents of her husband's jar". Sounded so ominous. I had no idea what I was in for. This episode had me positively captivated from begining to end. Actually, the first time I saw it I was afraid to watch the ending (hey, it was late at night), because by that point I had a feeling to where it was headed and it was one of those peeking through your fingers moment. I opted to change the channel instead. First thing the next morning I had to come onto this site to find out for sure how it ended. I've seen it more than once since then and I enjoy it almost just much as I did the first time. Herrmann's sinister circus-like score contributes much to the suspense. From the moment the title appears on-screen and the music starts, there's a feeling of anticipation which does not go away until the final fade out of the episode. After watching "The Jar", the name "Thedy Sue Hill" will be embedded in your memory for years to come. It's a shame that a great series like "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" doesn't get a lot of syndication airings.