Alfred Hitchcock Presents

And So Died Riabouchinska

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Feb 12, 1956 on CBS

6.7
  • A show with an unusual title that piques the viewer's interest and certainly lives up to it's intriguing name. One reason why AHP was a classic television series, and one of my own personal favorite episodes, which is why I rate it a 10.

Why most reviewers do not think highly of this episode is beyond my comprehension, as it is absolutely excellent. Veteran actor Claude Rains gives the best performance out of several appearances by him on this series, and relative newcomer Charles Bronson also does a superb job playing the part of a detective. The Alfred Hitchock presents show didn't much better than this episode. Its great all around and suspenseful from the begining to the end. The voice of the puppet incidentally was supplied by Virginia Gregg, who also did the voice of a more famous dummy, that of mother in Psycho.
  • A Terrifically Acted and Written Episode

This episode is a tour de force for actor Claude Rains. Charles Bronson gets a meaty role as a detective too. The show involves a dummy who is quite an actress herself. It is a lot of fun. While the premise that someone would commit murder over being outed as a dummy lover, especially when he doesn't seem to care at any other time, the story provides some good acting and writing opportunity for the creators of the show. I like the idea that Claude Rains would act for television, especially for Alfred Hitchcock. It may be one of his last performances, I'm not sure when he died.