Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Martha Mason, Movie Star

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM May 19, 1957 on CBS

6.7
  • A housewife dreams of becoming a movie star. When her husband refuses to see as such and grant her a divorce, she's had enough and plans to get rid of him.

A fairly routine story of a spouse killing their significant other. However, this one for the most part is played for laughs.

First is the housewife who looks anything but a movie star (reminds me of a little bit of Ethel from I Love Lucy) who wants to be treated like one. Maybe in her younger year she was an attractive beauty but those years are long behind her.

To mount her misery and dismay that she won't be a movie star, she has a rather useless, annoying husband. He's fat, old, and won't grant her a divorce.

Eventually she murders him and then through a very stupid twists gets caught. For 1950s this might have been daring as these type of storyline started to become popular especially the murder of your husband or wife.

It's not a terrible routine just a rather routine one. However, as I said it's funny for the most part.