Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Revenge

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Oct 02, 1955 on CBS

• Why is newlywed Mrs. Spann so very clinging to her husband - and what really happened whilst he was away at work?

Alfred Hitchcock seemed to regard television as a kind of sketchbook, where he could make rough drafts of ideas for later films. For instance, both "Lamb To The Slaughter" and "One More Mile To Go" contain striking visual ideas which would be developed later into classic scenes in "Psycho". This very first episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" gives his new leading lady, Vera Miles, a kind of audition for her star role in "The Wrong Man", which Hitch made the following year; both cast her as a housewife losing her grip on sanity in terrible circumstances. But there's one big difference - was Mrs. Spann, the Miles character, ever really sane? Too late, her new husband is given cause to doubt.
  • This isn't my favorite episode but it sets a good tone for the show.

So basically a husband and wife are living in a trailer, the husband is off to his new job and the wife is trying to take it easy after suffering a breakdown. When he comes home the wife claims to have been violated in some way.

Anyway his wife points out the guy that has violated her and then her husband goes out and kills him. He later realizes that his wife is sick and he killed an innocent man. This isn't my favorite episode.

I don't feel for the characters in this episode and they don't really draw me in. I like the other episodes after this one better. Alfred Hitchcock sticks to what he did best, mysteries and suspense. The episode however does set the tone for the series.

Just like his movies, there are twists and turns in this series. In some way this show reminds me of The Twilight Zone. I like both shows btw. The Twilight Zone was all over the place though with fantasy, sci-fi, even the supernatural.

This show deals with mystery and suspense and everyday life. They're good shows in different ways. Anyway, if the first episode doesn't thrill you keep on watching, there are good episodes in the first season.
  • This episode set the stage for what to expect from this series.

"Revenge" left me thinking about it for the rest of the day. The characters were so "normal" and unassuming that when tragedy struck, I really felt bad for both of them. I could have never guessed the ending and when I did see it, I was so surprised. It wonderfully written. You can feel that something is going to happen but you would never guess what did happen. The suspense was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. In the beginning, I thought the neighbor was awfully suspicious because of the way she looked at the woman and the comments she made. Little did I know that the neighbor was just a distraction from the plot of the real story.
  • Way to begin a classic tv show!

This is a neat way to begin a tv show as director Alfred Hitchcock though well-known in the movie industry would really become famous and wealthy off this show that made him more of a household name. As Vera Mills stars in the first show as a wife who is raped as her devoted husband tries to find the criminal that did this to her. Great show and a very suspenseful ending.
  • A woman named Elsa Span (Vera Miles) is attacked in her home by a stranger prompting the husband to seek revenge on the criminal.

Straightforward episode with Vera Miles playing a woman attacked by a mysterious stranger. I didn't even think she was raped till I looked at the notes here.

In fact, the word "rape" is never actually to my memory ever used in the episode. These were still conservative times and these were taboo subjects that weren't talked about much which is a shame.

The woman's husband, Carl wants to find the man that did it but the wife's description of the man is very vague. So what we end up at the end is a tale about mistaken identity and a woman whose nerves are so shot that she'll point out any man as the attacker.

Vera Miles was a movie star and she kinda drifted away from Hollywood but before her big break in movies like "Psycho" (also directed by Hitchcock himself) she showed in this episode she could act.

Overall another familiar story that doesn't quite have a big surprise but it's still done well enough to recommend to watch.
  • Good episode but NOT for the reason which one would expect.

Good episode but NOT for the reason which one would expect. In other words, when one watches a film, it's done for the purpose of entertainment. Well, I would NOT consider this episode as entertainment as it's so painful to watch. INSTEAD,what makes it praiseworthy is the LESSON it teaches. That is, a person must NOT take revenge no matter how justified he feels. There is an adage that goes, "Never make a decision when you feel angry," of which this Hitchcock episode is a classic example.
    There is even a verse in the Bible that says "Vengeance belongs to the Lord." In other words, let God and/or the police handle it. With that said, I could even say that this episode would be very appropriate to show at a Christian church service. I hope that statement does Not sound corny, but that's the way I really feel about this episode.