Alfred Hitchcock Presents

CBS (ended 1962)

millerem99

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Fan Reviews (11)

• What an amazing show

Alfred Hitchcock Presents is an amazing show that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Tales from the Crypt, The Twilight Zone, and the movies by Alfred Hitchcock. One thing very interesting is that Alfred Hitchcock does not need blood and gore, all this man used was suspense and was used so well that that was all that was needed to scare his viewers. So if you like any of his movies or Tales from the Crypt and The Twilight Zone, I would higher recommended this to those type of fans or anyone.

• Alfred Hitchcock had an amazing gift.

He had amazing power, and not only with his movies, which had the power to have the nation quit showering for years. This show was just as good, with in one hour, he had a well thought out plot, that would creep you out so badly, and he didn't need gore to get you there. He was so good he would let your imagination run wild, to the point some of us weren't able to sleep. Alfred Hitchcock had an amazing gift that I have yet to see repeated, let alone surpassed. Alfred Hitchcock Presents was definitely one of a kind.
  • Master of suspense condensed onto a 30 minute format.

Not only could Hitchcock direct time-warping, ahead of his time, and unique films but he also could turn it into a cult hit television show. Hitchcock was the master of spinning tall-tales and spooky coincidences for our 30 minute pleasure. I have considered him one of my heroes and he will always have a place for me in my viewing pleasure. He had a way to hold my attention and keep it held through those many, many stories he directed on my television screen. How he came up wth these ideas and thoughts? We may never know but I will always watch his show, always.
  • Great television drama presented by the big screen's Master of Suspense.

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is one of the staples of television drama, second only to the original version of "The Twilight Zone" in the category of anthology series. While the twist ending more associated with the latter of these series was also a key component of the Hitchcock series, it was the great director's own personality in presenting each story with his unique wit, his priceless delivery and his comedic knocking of the commercial sponsors each week that gave the show its own special style. An attempted remake of the series in the eighties by colorizing Hitch's same introductions to the original episodes only demonstrated how well they did it the first time. They also hit the jackpot on guest stars, many who were just starting out including Steve McQueen, Lee Majors, William Shatner, Burt Reynolds, Bill Mumy, Robert Vaughn and Walter Matthau, and many established movie legends many of whom otherwise didn't do television, such as Claude Rains, Joseph Cotten, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Raymond Massey, Peter Lorre, Robert Morley and Cedric Hardwicke. This is one show that will get you hooked after the first few episodes.
  • Hitchcock the true star!

Alfred Hitchcock was and is the true star of this
    Show and despite the shows being good and bad in
    Between, still, you can't deny Hitchcock's intimidating but in a good kind of way presence as well as that British classy accent. Who can ever forget "Good Evening" knowing that you were in for a ride. Great show and a true classic like Hitchcock himself.
  • It's good but Hitchcock could've done better.

If you like or love Hitchcock, then you'll like or love this.
    It's pretty much a worse version of the Twilight Zone.
    I'm not saying it's bad. It's worth seeing if you like older suspense shows/movies.
    Each episode is a 30 minute suspense story. The characters change in each episode, so no episode ties into each other.
    Each 30 minute episode included opening and closing vingettes featuring Hitchcock who would often explain some aspect of the day's show and would often offer subtle (or not so subtle) jabs at the shows sponsors.
    This show doesn't air anymore which is too bad. But the first season has 39 EPISODES, and it's only $30 to buy on DVD, so if you're interested at all, go buy it.
  • The true master of mystery and suspense, this television series lived up and still lives up to it's reputation. One of excellence, brilliance and great acting. The entire production was always top-notch.

Alfred Hitchcock the brilliant genius behind these amazing story-telling episodes always brought down the house. A true classic, which I still view today thanks to BOOK television still airing it. Even after watching them a few times, you get caught up in the suspense all over again, just anticipating the next scene. He truly was the Master of Suspense. If you haven't watched this series, get a chance to rent, buy or view it somehow. You won't be disappointed, there weren't many duds in the 9 year run of the show.
  • For those who like classic television, it doesn't come any better than "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

For those who like classic television, it doesn't come any better than "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". Although he did not direct every episode by himself, his stamp is on every program. Almost every episode is of high quality, with clever and creative stories combined with writing and acting that ranges from good to outstanding. There is also terrific variety - you never know whether a given episode will be serious or light-hearted, whether there will be a happy ending or a tragic one. Each show keeps you guessing, and most have a twist at the end, many of them quite memorable. There are also a lot of big stars who appear in one or more episodes, as well as some young actors who would become stars, and the ones that don't have anyone famous generally have a pretty good set of character actors. If all that weren't enough, you have Hitchcock himself introducing each episode with some hilarious remarks - often making fun of TV commercials - and often in humorous settings that have a connection to the upcoming episode.

Episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" are well worth the trouble to find, whether you are fortunate enough to find broadcasts of them or whether you need to track down some videos of selected episodes.
  • A truly special, original, well-made show. Hitchcock's presence as a host is delightfully sardonic and deliciously macabre and the episodes he directed himself were extra special--you could always recognize that special "Master of Suspense Hitchcock touc

I watched this show as a kid when it aired on Nick at Nite. As a teenager, I became a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock's films and was thrilled when "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" started to air on TVLand every night. I taped many episodes from its TVLand broadcast, but I'm still extremely glad it's finally coming to DVD! Hitchcock directed a few of the episodes himself, and those were extra special--you could always recognize that special "Master of Suspense Hitchcock touch on those. But in all the episodes, his presence as a host is delightfully sardonic and deliciously macabre. His famous sarcastic lead-ins to the commercials are still as funny as ever and still work with our modern commercials. As for the episodes he doesn't direct, most of them are also terrifically done. There is an outstanding roster of guest stars and directors, and they always kept up the suspense even if Hitch wasn't there to direct. This was a truly special, original, well-made show. Even though it's coming out on DVD (I've already pre-ordered my copy) it would still be nice if TVLand brought it back again. Sometimes they run a few episodes of it around Halloween but that's about it.
  • Great great show! Unmatched!

I'm always a big fan of the macabre. This was and is still a favorite of mine. I miss it. I wish it was in sydication where I live, but as of now, I haven't been able to find it on any channels. I love this show! It's flippin' GREAT!!!!!!!
  • A contemporary of another classic, "The Twilight Zone," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" was more delightfully perverse and far less didactic: the stories were presented for you to enjoy and take however you wished.

The Hitchcock Anthology series is a classic, both in attitude and, well, in having an icon like Hitchcock stamp his name on it and present it! A contemporary of another classic, "The Twilight Zone," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" was more delightfully perverse and far less didactic: the stories were presented for you to enjoy and take however you wished. While Serling's "Twilight" commentary was often moralistic (though not always obviously so), Hitchcock's wry vignettes would often be like the "in the commercials" remarks you and a clever friend would make, and sometimes the vignettes had their own bizarre or amusing subject matter unrelated to the tale being told. The stories were suspenseful, smart, dark, twisted, riotous, without being low-brow or cheap-shot; they could be very disturbing without being gory, funny without being dumb. A gold standard in adult programming that today's TV shows just can't quite "get." And of course, there is always the surprise and delight of seeing a now-classic actor or actress (or even a "then" one!) doing some earlier work. Wonderful, wonderful stuff....I wish some outlet would run the originals full-length so those of us who didn't see it the first time around could get the full experience.