Alfred Hitchcock Presents

The Door Without a Key

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Jan 16, 1962 on CBS

7.6
  • Untypical for Hitchcock.

Untypical for Hitchcock in that the plot does not involve any crime at all. I don't know whether that would disappoint other viewers or not, but for me, it was a delightful surprise. Always good to have a change-of-pace, and in this case it works wonderfully, especially with using Billy Mumy who was even younger than when he appeared in the "Lost In Space" TV-series.
    To put my feelings in a nutshell, what I'm really trying to say is that the episode's ending is actually HEART-WARMING!!
  • Was the amnesia real?

A man wanders into a police station claiming to have no memory of who he is, and carrying no ID, or even money. His clothes suggest he isn't a vagrant, he's well-spoken and sober and he's not injured. He just doesn't know who he is. As he waits for a car to take him to the hospital, others come in, including a young kid who's been abandoned by his no-good dad. Is the man really amnesiac, or is he just disgusted by his life and wanting to start afresh, from scratch? We're never told. The happy ending - happy for the man and the young kid - is as unlikely as it's sentimental; after all, there is such an offence as wasting police time, and it's impossible that the cops would consent to his adopting the kid with no legal formalities. Still, Claude Rains is just terrific, as so often, and the other actors are pretty good, too. And Hitchcock's wrap-up, where he apologizes for the absence of blood in this week's show, and adds that the upcoming commercial will compensate for this, is exactly right.