Alfred Hitchcock Presents

The Man Who Found the Money

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Dec 27, 1960 on CBS

• A Good Deed goes Wrong

Teacher William Benson finds money outside a gambling casino that he just left.He is unsure as to what to do with it.He rents a safe deposit box to leave the money there.He later makes the decision to turn the money over to the police.He will regret this decision.I have seen this episode years ago .Twice.To this day whenever I think about it,I'm still of the same opinion,and that is:,it does not always pay to do the right thing.I wish that I could phrase it better.I still think that the man did what he thought was the right thing to do.To people that think he was dumb to turn in the Money,you should think twice if you found that Money,and decide to keep it.You do not know what keeping,and,or spending could lead to.Good deed,or Bad deed,the results could still prove fatal.How was he to know that the money belonged to a gangster?Or,that the gangster would demand the missing cash that he did not know about?Such a situation in real life can go either way.The Man was going by his conscience of right,or wrong.Not too many people can,or want to do that.
  • A teacher in town finds money outside a casino when he tries to turn it he gets more than he bargained for.

One of those episodes that supply a funny twist that tells us that sometimes a great deed is not the best thing to do especially when it concerns money.

Arthur Hill was great as William Benson, a teacher out gambling who finds money outside a casino. He puts in a security PO BOX but can't decide what to do with it.

When he goes to the police, the cops think he stole it and then give him a strange figure that tells us that more money was involved (a big clue into how the story will end).

It was great overall. These half-hour episodes move very quickly that ending was unique. Nowadays, people in this day and age wouldn't have done what the teacher did.