Alias Smith and Jones Forums

ABC (ended 1973)

Any other ASJ fans here?

alice2810

[1]Jun 29, 2006
    • level: 4

I loved this show so much - have been reminiscing about it today because there was a rare repeat on British TV of parts of three episodes cobbled together into a TV movie, The Long Chase. One of those with Roger Davis rather than Pete Duel, but still great stuff.

Wish they would bring out a DVD box set!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvan01

[2]Jul 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    I just started watching it (it's on the Western chanel.) I dig it a lot... the right mix of humor, action and western.

Pete Duel is great when he does his "hmmh" grunt.

vdb1972

[3]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 6
    I really liked this show. I watched quite a lot of TV when I was a kid (well, for those days I was quite the couch potatoe, 'those days' being 1976-1990), and just reading about this show brings back all kinds of fine memories. Yup, good show! Fun 2 watch.

texicogirl

[4]Aug 2, 2006
    I used to love this show!!!! And I still Love it!!!! I remember when Pete killed hisself it was very upsetting. I was just a kid. I am glad that they kept the show going, but it was never the same after. Roger Davis did an ok job, but he changed the caracter of Heyes a little. He was more look out folr #1 than Pete. But now that it is on Encore Western Channel we can see them Monday-Friday, Woo Hoo!!!

alice2810

[5]Aug 12, 2006
    Wish we had the Western channel in the UK - I think I'm right in saying ASJ hasn't been repeated over here for about 20 years!
    All we ever get is a couple of cobbled-together TV movies, 'The Gun and the Nun' and 'The Long Chase', plus the pilot. Five also keeps showing a TV movie starring Pete and Roger, 'The Young Country', which is quite good but not up to ASJ standards.

texicogirl

[6]Aug 15, 2006
    I was watching Chisum, the John Wayne movie, the other night and when I was looking at the beginning credits it had "introducing Geoffery Deuel" and I wondered if he could be related to Pete. He has to be Pete's brother because he looks almost exactly like Pete. About the only differance is that Geoffery has curly hair, a narrower nose and his eyebrows are thicker. After I got to watching it I remembered watching it on TV when I was a kid and I thought that It was Pete, but now I know that it couldn't have been it was released in 1970 After Pete died. I think that he is Pete's brother, He wasn't old enough to have a sone that age, probably in his 20s.

alice2810

[7]Aug 19, 2006
    You're right, Geoffrey is Pete's brother - he kept their original surname. I agree he looks a lot likePete.

pirategennie

[8]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 10
    i have such mixed feelings! i do get the western channel and have the occasional opportunity to watch this show. i was so interested in it as a teenager, mostly because the leads were young and i was desperate to see someone even APPROXIMATELY my own age (yes, even 30 seemed young) playing something other than a crazed fan or a campus bomber (or someone in LOVE with the campus bomber). we sure got stereotyped back then.

on the other hand the episodes i watch now are not moving me. i wonder what, apart from the passage of time, changed?

g

alice2810

[9]Nov 12, 2006
    It probably moves me more now than it did then... the rare episodes I do get to see, that is. I have found some other series I loved as a kid seem to have lost their magic if I catch a repeat now, but this one has kept it. For me, anyway.

LadyEarthquake

[10]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 3
    I can't tell you how much I love this show.  I lived in Dallas Texas in the mid 80's and found the show during my "western" phase.  I moved to California in 1989 and lost them for what I thought was forever, then what do I find when browsing the cable channels a couple months ago...????  MY BOYZ..!! I can't tell you how wonderful it felt to just sit down and watch them again.  It's like a visit from an old friend you haven't seen in years.  Now I make it a point to catch up on all the episodes every weekday @ 6:00pm.  I don't have the series on DVD, but I am looking into that right now.  I have Heyes and Curry as my screensaver, um about 125 pictures.  Yeah, I love my boyz...!!!!  One of my favorite episodes is "The McCreedy Bust, Going, Going, Gone"...#35, season 2.  How can you beat Kid doing a jig. Have I said it enought.....I LOVE MY BOYZ.!!!! 

texicogirl

[11]Dec 16, 2006
    Welcome to the group! That is one of my favs to! I was just a little thing when they were on, probably up past my bed time, but Mom let me watch them.

LadyEarthquake

[12]Jan 1, 2007
    Tomorrow's a sad day.  The episode to air tomorrow is the last one of Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes.  A little bittersweet as today's episode is my favorite. 

NikkilN

[13]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 1
    My husband and I watch that show everyday. Of course, we've seen all the episodes before, but it is still fun to watch. After doing some research today, I found that Pete Duel, aka Hannibal Heyes, was buried this day 35 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago! God I'm old! )

texicogirl

[14]Jan 9, 2007
    Have you read any of the articles about it. there is a website that has articles about Duel and Murphy. When ever I think about his death it makes me want to cry. He will always be sorely missed by all AS&J fans.

LadyEarthquake

[15]Jan 12, 2007

I visit the AS&J Collection website and they have some great information there.  There is also a Pete Duel memorial website that is also very good.  I go there from time to time.  Now that some smart person decided to take it off Encore Westerns every day and put it on at 7:30AM on Saturdays, I'm having withdrawals.  It's not an easy thing since I am such a huge fan