Alias Smith and Jones Forums

ABC (ended 1973)

AS&J book series

ekokai

[1]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 5
    After a long search I finally located some of the books written by Brian Fox in the 70's. Has anyone else read them? What do you think? I'm only half way through the first one, but I'm not too impressed. We have fic writers who are so much better than this guy, and he doesn't stick to the series. I know some of these were written while the series was still being made, but he must have at least seen the pilot before he started. I'm reading "Dead Ringer" right now and Kid is complaining that Heyes talked him into trying for amnesty. Really? It's pretty clear in the pilot who came up with that idea. I have high hopes these books get better as they go on. It's better than nothing, right?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

texicogirl

[2]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    I didn't even know that there were books. Where did you get them? I would love to read some.

LadyEarthquake

[3]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 3

You know, I just purchased the AS&J book from Amazon.com.  I have to tell you the book is a MUST HAVE for any AS&J fan.  The title is Alias Smith and Jones: A Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men.  It covers the very beginning of the series, how the ideas were born, how the characters where chosen, stories and pictures of the stars, cast and co-stars.  It also has coverage on each and every episode.  I don't know if you can pick this up at the local book stores....I've never seen it.  You gotta have this book if you're a true fan....it's the AS&J bible.  It was written by a fan, and she knows the things we want to know about the show and the stars. If you don't have it, you gotta get it.  There'll be a quiz.!!! haha.!

ekokai

[4]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 5

Yep, I got that book the end of last year thinking I'd like to know all the behind the scenes stuff, but I just found it depressing. There are a lot of interesting parts, but it kind of ruins it for me when I find out certain people didn't really get along and some of the bad things that went on. Of course, it didn't help that I was reading it at the end of the year and the episodes that were being shown on Encore were being shown on the exact same days that they ran in 1970-71.  Then again, that was the same time I found a really sad memorial site for Pete.  Definitely the wrong time to be reading that book.  Maybe I'll try it again.  It does come in handy if I think I spot something strange in an episode and want to check it out.

The book series by Brian Fox can be found on Ebay sometimes (like one auction that closed today) and if you search rare book sites.  I have two more from that series coming from England (eventually) and I hope they're better that the one I have.  I'm not kidding when I say a lot of the fanfic writers are better.  In the book I'm currently trying to get through, Heyes has an identical twin he never knew about, Wheat outdraws the Kid and both of the boys have their pictures on their wanted posters and Heyes carries another picture of himself around with him.

Okay, now I'm really desperate for some new fanfic.  Perhaps another forum topic is needed..............

LadyEarthquake

[5]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    I'm so sorry this makes you sad. I was reading the chapter on "Wrong Train to Brimstone" and I couldn't help but to laugh. It was a great feeling because they talked about the chemistry between Pete and Ben and when asked if they rehersed their "timing"....(how they sometimes move at the same time), Ben said no. They just knew what the other was thinking and therefore knew how to react. It's a beautiful thing and I am so greatful to have had just a year and a half of Pete and Ben's magic.