Alias Smith and Jones Forums

ABC (ended 1973)

Duel or Davis?

texicogirl

[1]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 4

Who do you like better as Heyes and why?

I like Pete Duel better mostly because of the way he potrayed the character.  He cared more about the people they came across and especially the Kid.  Davis' portrail seemed  more self centered.  the only time I felt that he really cared was in the epi 10 days that shook Kid Curry. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alice2810

[2]Dec 16, 2006
    I like Pete Duel better, because he originally created the character and gave it so much warmth (also he's better looking!).

But I do like Davis too (especially love his voice) and thought he did care. I recently saw one of the TV movies cobbled together from two or three episodes with Davis, and there was a bit where the Kid falls while trying to climb on a train and Heyes thinks he's dead - there were tears in his eyes. Not sure which episode this is from.

LadyEarthquake

[3]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 3
    There is really no comparison.  Pete Duel hands down.  Davis was ok and had his own style, maybe better as a recurring character, but for sure not as Heyes.  If it wasn't for Ben Murphy, the show would not have lasted as long as it did after Pete's death.

ekokai

[4]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 5
    Pete. No question. I'm sure Roger is a nice guy and it must have been rough jumping into an established character, but it wasn't a good idea to have someone who has already been in an episode of the show (Smiler With a Gun) to come back as one of the leads.  Whenever I see him, I don't think Heyes, I think Danny Bilson.

LadyEarthquake

[5]Dec 31, 2006
    I agree and that episode made you really not like the guy.  He left them at the dig site, in the middle of the desert without horses, food, supplies or the gold.  Plus the old miner died so that the boys would have a chance to make it back to town.  Nope, not a good image of the next Hannibel Heyes.

LadyEarthquake

[6]Jan 12, 2007

And to add one more thing.  Ben didn't play the guitar and sing like Pete.  And Lordy, that smile..!!!  He was the all around best Heyes there could be. 

BelovedBluebird

[7]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 1

Because No body played Hannibal Heyes/Joshua Smith better then Peter Duel. And yeah he was also the better looking then Davis.

Donna48

[8]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    I LOVED Pete Duel! I just couldn't get used to Davis.

LadyEarthquake

[9]Mar 23, 2007

I give Davis some credit "trying" to fill such huge shoes.  There was no way he was gonna win that battle.  Pete was the one and only Heyes.  No one else could have given that character so much personality.  Simply beautiful.  My heart breaks every time I see that smile.  Yup, its all Pete, no question about it.

jd1975

[10]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 5
    No offence to Roger, who did his best, but it just HAS to be Pete Duel for me. The guy had a certain *magic*.

LadyEarthquake

[11]Apr 7, 2007
    Magic....AMEN..!!! I'm watching the pilot from my iPod..!!
    Gotta have my boys

tvking1

[12]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 42

I agree that Duel was probably the better of the two, but that may be because he was the original. Roger did an admirable job. He was excellent as the series narrator and at the time was married to Jaclyn Smith, who was relatively unknown at the time but whose fame would eclipse his, as one of Charlie's Angels.

As for Pete, he was also a regular in the series Gidget and Love On A Rooftop. I was shocked when he committed suicide on New Year's Eve, 1971.

pollardgsp

[13]Sep 7, 2007

I became familiar with the Alias Smith&Jones Television series in 1986. I was watching a Philadelphia UHF station where they were showing old westerns tv series. I started to watch this series and immediately wanted more. I then began doing some research on ASJ. After watching a few episodes I noticed Peter Duel & Ben Murphy had an excellent on screen chemistry and the two of the them made their relationship believable. Peter Duel had a great comic timing. It is my true opinion that Peter Duel was the best Hannibal Heys simply because he was first and the viewers some him first. It is also my opinion that Roger Davis did a pretty good job based on the circumstances he was in. RD suddenly took on a role that a another actor had already establised and left behind and that is very difficult for any actor to do. When Peter Duel died the show died also.

pollardgsp

[14]Sep 7, 2007
    When the show opens,it is clear that Peter Duel had top billing.However,in most of the episodes with Duel& Murphy I sometimes thought Ben Murphy was the star because he was dubed
    the gunman with his quick draw and Kid Curry always seem to get the girl.

pollardgsp

[15]Sep 7, 2007
    pollardgsp wrote:
    When the show opens,it is clear that Peter Duel had top billing.However,in most of the episodes with Duel& Murphy I sometimes thought Ben Murphy was the star because he was dubed the gunman with his quick draw and Kid Curry always seem to get the girl.

pollardgsp

[16]Sep 7, 2007
    pollardgsp wrote:
    pollardgsp wrote:
    When the show opens,it is clear that Peter Duel had top billing.However,in most of the episodes with Duel& Murphy I sometimes thought Ben Murphy was the star because he was dubed the gunman with his quick draw and Kid Curry always seem to get the girl.

texicogirl

[17]Oct 16, 2007
    I think you are right. At that time the tough guy was the one that people liked most, that's just how it was back then. I don't think people are like that as much. When I was a kid I was in love with Kid Curry, OK I still am , and didn't really think one way or the other about Heyes. But now I appreciate Heyes for his wit and wisdom and have come to love him also. Can that be considered poligamy? I guess not. Anyway if PD hadn't died I think Heyes would have seen more romance.

Catwoman87531

[18]Jul 21, 2009
    • level: 55
    I liked Pete Duel better. Heyes was his role and Davis had to step in at an awful time and did a good job.

SandyEshelman

[19]Aug 12, 2009
    I am a little biased, he was my cousin. I loved his acting.

texicogirl

[20]Dec 25, 2009
    Cool. I used to work with a lady that was a distant cousin to Ben Murphy.