TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Alias Smith and Jones Forums

ABC (ended 1973)

Introductions

texicogirl

[1]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 4

I thought that since we are getting more people we should all introduce outselves.  You don't have to use your real name.  I am a mother of 3 and a wife of 1. I first saw AS&J when I was about 5, this tells you how old I am because I saw it when it first aired,  and have loved them ever since.  My husband must love me alot because he lets me watch AS&J while the news is on   I live in southern Illinois, about 75 miles east of St.Louis,  in the USA.  I stay at home with taking care of my kids  who are 11, 6, and 4.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alice2810

[2]Dec 16, 2006
    I watched it when it was first aired too, though I was a few years older - I'm 46 now and have two kids aged 17 and 12. I live in Suffolk, England. ASJ is never shown on any channel here except for very occasional TV movies cobbled together from one or two episodes - so I'm thrilled to hear that it is finally coming out on DVD.
    Edited on 12/16/2006 11:39am

texicogirl

[3]Dec 16, 2006
    I'm so happy that the dvd is out. I know that you will love it. It is like for us in the USA when it came out on the Western Channel.

LadyEarthquake

[4]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 3
    I think this is a great topic and a good way for other fans to know a bit about other fans of the show.  I'm a mother of 3, married for 23 years and remembers this show in the early '80's when we lived in Dallas, TX.  I loved the show and watched it with a string of other westerns I couldn't do without (Rawhide, The Rifleman and Bonanza).  But there was something that stood out about this show that held a special "liking".  I would make it a point to see this one if I had to miss the others.  At that time, I fell in love with the Heyes character.  I thought The Kid was cute, but Heyes was the better character.  We moved to California and I lost my westerns until one evening I was home and flipping through the channels and ran across Alias Smith and Jones on Encore Westerns...I thought my eyes were tricking me.  I tuned in the next day and there were again.  I'm once again hooked.  I make sure every day at 6pm I'm spending time with "my boys".  This annoys my kids to no end, and they make me go to another room to watch it and my husband just think I've lost my mind..!  But do I care, absolutely NOT.  As long as they are on, I will be watching.  I am watching and waiting until the series are released on DVD. I CAN'T WAIT..!!!! 

texicogirl

[5]Jan 1, 2007
    Wow, this must be the twilight zone I have the same trouble with my family. My husband has been saying lately that I must have really been in love with the boys to watch them over and over and over again. Of course I say "No Dear I only love you." But secretly I say "Well yes silly why would anyone watch a show so many times."

LadyEarthquake

[6]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 3

Yeah (clapping my hands)...I'm not alone.  I've done the exact same thing.  He just rolls his eyes and walks out of the room.  I just posted under another topic, but I just finished watching my favorite episode on the BIG TV in the family room.  I couldn't have been happier.

babsgil1954

[7]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 1

I see these introductions were done in 2006, so many of you probably don't even check this site anymore and I'm typing this for nothing. I'd originally "googled" FAN CLUBS and such and found several, but none showing up anymore. Found this site and wanted to warn you about those sites selling the Seasons 1-2-3 DVD sets. Anyway, I was in high school when the show came out in 1970. It was a movie of the week and almost didn't get any further. Several of the networks turned it down (I'm telling you, that book I posted about is FULL of information). I was a senior in high school in 1971 when Pete died and my girlfriend is the one who called and told me. It was a Friday morning as I'd just watched the episode "Miracle at Santa Marta" (as had Pete before he pulled the trigger) the night before. It aired at 8:00 p.m. on Thu. nights here in California. We didn't have the internet in those days, so we relied on the news and papers. Magazines were chocked full of stories, but again, they were mostly lies and speculations. Unfortunately, Pete is buried back East in his home town so I cannot visit his grave. I life in San Diego.

A quote from the book is from a friend of Pete's: "I wasn't thrown into fits of depression and sadness and all because I was so annoyed at him for doing it (killing himself). I was so angry, I mean, I was just angry all the time." What truly broke Jobe's heart was that he knew Pete was getting his life back on track. The two friends had had a heart-to-heart talk in Pete's kitchen two weeks before his suicide, talking and laughing late into the night, drinking gallons of coffee, catching up on what was going on in their lives. "We talked about life, love, the pursuit of happiness, everything like that. But he was really getting it together...He was so on the mend. He really was." Jobes thought Pete was on his way onward and upward, with a great series and a great future. Pete had grown to hate the life of a series actor and wanted off the show. He wanted to be a serious actor (movies I guess), but only landed TV shows. Hey, the $$$ was great and the part was perfect for him.

Pete's family was originally going to have his funeral at Forest Lawn (oh, so many celebrities are buried there...including Michael Jackson), but that was a place Jobes knew Pete would hate. So, Jobes went to Pete's sister and they moved it to the Self Realization Temple on Sunset Blvd. (Pete was a little on the hippie side when it came to life and such. He was a total lover of the earth and would speak about it often. He didn't like things done in the traditional way). The memorial service drew thousands of mourners. Roger Davis did not show up because he felt it would not be right since he had been offered the job as Hannibal Heyes.

The book also says that Ben Murphy did not like Roger Davis and they had a hard time working together which is probably why Kid Curry seemed more like the leader of the two (with Pete as Hannibal Heyes, Ben Murphy was the brawn and Pete the brains). Ben took on the more starring role when Roger came on the scene.

Ok. I sound like a "know it all". This is just my introduction. I have 3 kids and 2 grandkids now. Am happily divorced.

texicogirl

[8]Feb 5, 2010
    Welcome aboard1 I'm glad you posted the info. It is very interesting. I was a bit younger than you and wasn't really aloud to watch it, it being so late at night. I would sneak out of bed and sit ing the doorway and watch. I got caught alot. I think you can really tell that Davis and Murphy don't like each other in the epi's. It wasn't blatently obvious, but ther were subtle hints.