Alias Smith and Jones Forums

ABC (ended 1973)

What is your favorite episode?

texicogirl

[1]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 4

I have too many favorites, but one of the top 5 is the one where PD, BM, Will Geer, and Roger Davis work a mine in the desert and RD takes off with the gold, leaving everyone to die, which Will Geer does. When PD and BM find RD he is living it up and owns a saloon. In the end BM kills RD, in a fair fight of course.

How about the rest of you?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Pud816

[2]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 1
    A couple of mine were "Something to get Hung About" where Kid Curry has to keep a guy occupied while Heyes goes to get a woman to go back to her husband.  Another one was "Six Strangers at Apache Springs" where Heyes and Curry goes off to find a woman's gold, only to get ambushed by Indians.  I wish they would show the original pilot and "The Day They Hanged Kid Curry" on Encore Westerns.  Anyone know why they don't?

texicogirl

[3]Aug 5, 2006
    So do I! I guess it is because they are longer ones. I think if they cut out a few parts they could fit it into the hour slot. I went to tape the epi. "Night of the Red Dog" and the clock on the timer was off by an hour. I was so aggrivated I could have chewed nails. I always miss the middle of that one.

alice2810

[4]Aug 12, 2006
    Hard to say after all these years since we never get any repeats in the UK, but one that sticks in my mind is the one where Heyes and Curry get locked in a shack all winter playing a never-ending poker game, and Curry gets pneumonia.

texicogirl

[5]Aug 15, 2006
    That is one of my favorites. I get a good chuckle when that quack of a doctor says the old guy is going to die and then later shows up at the cabin.

LadyEarthquake

[6]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 3

I know it's been a while since anyone 's posted here, but I'm new to this site and thought I'd add my comments.  My favorite episodes are every single one with Pete and Ben.  The episodes with Roger were ok and I watched mainly for The Kid's character.  If I had to pick one of my favorites, it would be "The McCreedy Bust; Going, Going, Gone" - (episode 31 of season 2).  This is when the boys were on a job for McCreedy (Burl Ives) to recover the bust of Cesar from a well and take to an auction - to get rid of it once and for all and to end the feud with Armenderez (Cesar Romero). Well, the boys were confronted by a bully (Lee Majors) and told not to wear their guns in town, but of course Curry had a problem with that and here begins the drama.  I love this episode.  What's better than The Kid dancing a jig for the bully just to wear his gun....until he's had enough......no more turning the other cheek.

texicogirl

[7]Dec 19, 2006
    Welcome LadyEarthquake glad to have you. I like that epi also. Oh lets face it I love all of them. But I can't agree with you more seeing the Kid do a jig was great. You could see that he wanted t draw his gun and shoot Lee Majors the first few timeshe had to do the jig, but he stuck to his promise to Heyes and didn't. I also think that it is funny that he is always hungry. There was another epi where he kept telling Heyes that he was hungry

LadyEarthquake

[8]Dec 27, 2006
    Thanks for the welcome texicogirl and I agree with you too. There is not a bad episode in the bunch.  And it's always a special treat whenever we get to see The Kid handle his gun. Although Heyes (played by Pete Duel) is my favorite, the episodes with Roger Davis seems to show a more angry, somewhat aggressive Kid.  Not that I mind that at all, I really enjoy seeing The Kid give more depth to his character.  You know I've been seeing a lot of talk on the pilot episode and I can't seem to remember seeing this.  I'm hoping it will air on Encore, but once the DVD's are available, I will be more than happy. 

LadyEarthquake

[9]Dec 27, 2006

Another of my favorite is "The Posse That Wouldn't Quit" - Season 2, Episode 20.  The boys has been on the run for days from a posse and decided to hitch a ride with a lady to her ranch house.  The husband has a busted leg and they have 2 daughters that are money hustling tomboys.  And I can't say I was at all disturbed with The Kid won his money back..!!

Also in this episode, The Kid came to the rescue of the mother in court, keeping her out of jail and he stated his full name as Jedediah Curry (like "Kid" much better) and was put in jail.  Of course a brilliant plan all along by Heyes as he was already in jail under cover as a town drunk and was able to spring them both with a hidden gun in the boot.  And the icing on the cake, leaving the poor family a gift in the cookie jar....money they didn't steal.  I love MY BOYS...!!!! 

ekokai

[10]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 5

Many favorites, but one just aired recently that I didn't recall seeing before: The Reformation of Harry Briscoe.

While driving some cattle into town, the boys come across a pair of nuns in a broken down wagon. Naturally they load the nuns into their wagon and continue on.  When they stop to make camp that day, one of the nuns begins to question Kid on their religious background. He gives a goofy answer that causes Heyes to jump in to the conversation and he as he's trying to stumble his way through without having to outright lie to the nuns, Kid keeps offering new information about their past.  When the nuns finally walk away, Heyes gives Kid this dumbfounded look at says, "I swear if you'd talked to her much longer you would have told her about the prices on our heads."

I must have watched that scene 50 times by now. (Gotta love Tivo)

LadyEarthquake

[11]Dec 31, 2006

Yeah, I remember that one.  Although Heyes has the silver tongue, it's very intertaining whenever Kid gets to blabber.!!!

texicogirl

[12]Jan 1, 2007
    I love when the older nun asks if they are catholic and the Kid says "No mam were from Kansas" I almost fell out of my chair laughing

LadyEarthquake

[13]Jan 1, 2007
    !!! I LOVE MY BOYS..!!!
    Edited on 01/01/2007 8:30pm

BelovedBluebird

[14]Mar 5, 2007
    My favorite episodes are the ones with Peter in but my least favorite is the Bounty Hunter but my favorite is Miracle at Santa Marta.

ekokai

[15]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 5

Now that I have the season one DVD's, I'll have to change my favorite.  I'd never seen the pilot episode before, but now I've watched it at least 10 times.  There are far too many great scenes in it to pick one, which is why I like it so much.  The only word that fits this show is "classic".  Love those boys!

LadyEarthquake

[16]Mar 23, 2007

Same here....I never saw the pilot until I got the DVD.  I absoutely LOVE the way Heyes peeks into the train to see why the dynamite didn't blow..!!!  Pete was the best.!!!

pollardgsp

[17]Sep 8, 2007

The majority of my favorite episodes are the ones with Peter Duel in them. Nothing against Roger Davis because it is what it is.However, there are some episodes with Roger Davis I liked also. One of my favorites is The Bounty Hunter with Louis Gossette JR. Although Gossette's charater was bound and determined to turn the boys in and collect $20,000, the boys saved his life twice because the Bounty Hunter continued to run up against people who did not approve of him taking white men into custody. With everything they went through with the Bounty Hunter, Heys&Curry did grow to like him and they did not want him killed. That impressed me a lot. After the Bounty Hunter was wounded by a wealthy rancher, the boys tried one last time to save his life. Moreover, the boys had decided to take an even bigger chance with their freedom by telling the Sherif what happened to THE BOUNTY HUNTER. Another episode I liked included Sally Field and Rudy Vallie. The boys were blackmailed by Salley Field's charater Clemintine, to expose,con and make a fool of Winford Fleture played by Rudy Vallie. The Smiler and the gun episode was another favorite of mine. The boys and another man were stranded in the dessert left to die for days with out food or water. The other man died in the dessert and that made the boys determined get out of that jam alive and they did. The acting and the close chemistry Duel&Murphyportrayed was extraordinary. The man who left them in the dessert to die was played by Roger Davis. The boys were eager to settle the score with Roger Davis's charater. It was that episode in which Kid Curry shot and killed someone in self defence. That episode was amazing for a couple of reasons: 1, It maked the debut of Roger Davis's acting on AS&J 2, Seeing RD&PD exchange dialogue and 3, I believe the producers used that episode as a guide to cast RD as a replacement for PD. I liked Ben Murphy's charater Kid Curry as well. Curry was tough and brave and he never backed away from a challenge. I admired his heart. His quick draw not only saved his own life but Heys's as well. Heys could talk his way out of a lion's belly and Curry could out draw any man on any day. Those two were superb together. If Duel had not died, I believe the show would have run 4 or 5 seasons. ABC had lightining in a bottle with Alias Smith & Jones.

babsgil1954

[18]Jan 6, 2010
    "Night of the Red Dog" was always my favorite. I loved the way Heyes took such good care of the Kid. Well, I don't think you're a real doctor! and later, I think he has a bad cold!

babsgil1954

[19]Jan 6, 2010
    Nope, but they're on the DVD of Season 1. I'd never seen "The Day They Hung Kid Curry" and bought a VCR tape of the pilot long ago which really makes me wonder how the show really got made. The pilot wasn't all that good in my opinion.