Alias

All the Time in the World (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 22, 2006 on ABC

• This series knows how to go out in class. I've seen this episode three times now, and have loved it every time.

This series knows how to go out in class. Yes there were some disappointments in the finale but overall it was much better then the past couple of seasons have been and kudos goes to the producers for raising the bar once again. I've seen this episode three times now, and have loved it every time.

I had suspected Jack would get killed off the show and yet I found it shocking just the same when Sloane shot him in the chest. The look in Sydney's eyes, right when she got to shoot Sloane though was priceless. Sloane killed her fiancée, friend, and now her father? You could see all the anger swelling up in Sydney's face as she finally got to shoot Sloane not once, not twice, but four times and then straight in the head.

The scene that had Sydney and Jack outside with Jack dying, telling Sydney to go along with out him was one of the most moving scenes I've seen on television. Both Victor Garber and especially Jennifer Garner deserve an Emmy for it. You got to love though how Jack went out, taking the just resurrected, immortal Sloane with him. "You beat death Arvin, but you couldn't beat me." Jack gave Sloane a fate worse then death. He wasn't going down alone.

Which leads us to Rimbaldi. I had suspected Rimbaldi's endgame was immortality which helps explain a lot: the clockmaker in season one episode six, the old inmate two episodes ago. I've heard many comments though about why Rimbaldi used Immortality on so many other people but not on himself. I can only assume he realized that immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just ask Sloane. I was a little disappointed that they didn't fully explain how Sydney was the Chosen One and why certain Rimbaldi prophecies didn't come true. He had predicted The Passenger and The Chosen One would fight, resulting in one of them dying. We were assured in season three that Nadia was the passenger (she was able to deliver a message from Rimbaldi using that green liquid) and we had been told Sydney was The Chosen One. But the only fight they had was at the end of season four and neither one died as of a result of that fight. Nadia did die at the hands of Sloane though so it is possible that he was The Chosen One. It doesn't look like we'll ever be certain though.

The prophecy on Page 47 though, if you consider it, did come true in a sense. Jack has told Sydney before that Irina comes from the Greek word eirene which means "peace". At the end of season two when Il Dire (the Rimbaldi machine) printed out the word peace, maybe Sloane shouldn't have interpreted it literally and instead should have taken it as Irina. The message then could have been saying that Irina would be the greatest power. In this sense Sydney did "render the greatest power to utter desolation" when she battled her mom to her death. This is all speculation though.

This leads to my one other disappointed, that Irina turned out completely evil. It makes perfect sense plot wise but it just doesn't seem in character for her. I see how Irina could swing both ways: good or evil. In one way she did work for the KGB, and she's just been manipulating everyone to get what she wants, and all this time she's really just wanted power. It's just that Irina's been leaning towards the good side for so long, it was just a shock to see her act completely evil. I guess though, while she really has always loved Sydney, she would let nothing get in her way of becoming the ultimate power. It was ironic that Irina died reaching out for immortality. Sydney lost both of her parents in a matter of hours. Now that's a rough day. Once again dead Nadia was much wittier then the real Nadia and provided many one liners. I loved the scene where Sloane said he was glad Nadia was there as a witness or else he wouldn't believe it with his own eyes. Nadia responded with: "You're talking to your dead daughter, now's not the time to question your sanity." I loved that Nadia also left him as he was stranded in the cavern. I guess even Sloane's conscious realized he deserved to be alone.

The ending was well done. Sydney and Vaughn finally got to live out their lives, watching the sunset on the beach. It seemed very in character for Dixon to stay with A.P.O. and become head director, it's all he has left. I also liked that Sark is still out there making trouble as usual. Makes it seem as if the 'Alias' world really will still keep going on.

Overall this was an excellent episode. While 'Alias' unarguably, has gone down in quality over the past couple of years it still remains one of the most entertaining shows on television and that's hard to accomplish.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Sark: "Did it have to be so filthy. I mean really. If Rimbaldi could prophesize the future he might have advised me not to wear $500 shoes." Here's hoping for a Sark spin-off.

- The flashbacks were a nice addition and showed many important scenes in Sydney's life that we had heard about but never seen.

- In a flashback Francie mentioned her boyfriend Charlie was bringing a Danny somebody. It was nice to have one last mention of Danny, the only character on 'Alias' who didn't rise from the grave. The only problem I have with this is that Sydney didn't met Danny until after she already worked at SD-6. Does anybody remember Noah? I blame this on the continuous shuffling of new writers. It still bothers me though.

- Uh-oh Isabelle got her hands on the Indicator Puzzle. Could we have a future spy here?

- Sydney: "This is my purpose. I was meant to do this."

Final Rating: No matter the small disappointments. This was the finale Alias deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx

Find this review and many others at: www.motionpicturereviews.com