An Alias Community
ABC (ended 2006)

Happy (almost) birthday, America! And happy normal end of the week to the rest of you lot. In honor of our forefathers, instead of blowing our fingers off and stuffing our faces with corn on the cob and BBQ, maybe this year we can just stay inside in the air conditioning and watch TV? HAHAHAHA. Good joke, I know. But before you get drunk and light Mr. Johnson's house on fire in the name of George Washington, might we also suggest a few shows worth binge-watching over the holiday? No matter what your mood this Independence Day, there's something for you in the list below. Whether you're looking for an old favorite, a pensive drama, or a series about fake lesbians, we've gathered a hefty list for you to choose from. Also, if laughing in the face of those Brits is more your style this weekend, check out Tim's list of British comedies you should watch.

OLD FAVORITES WORTH REVISITING

Alias, Seasons 1-5 (Netflix)

Watch it with: Your big sister who won't shut up about [insert good-looking movie star]

Why you should watch it: There were a few times we questioned Alias—like during most of Season 5 and whenever Lauren poked her head in—but it's important to remember that there was a time when Alias was good. And by good, I mean great. The first two seasons of the series remain surprisingly strong more than 10 years after their original airing. Add to that the fun wigs, Spy Daddy, Marshall Flinkman, the surprising conclusion of Season 2, and the knowledge that TV had Bradley Cooper first, and Alias is definitely worth revisiting again if you haven't seen it since it aired on TV. Plus, who doesn't love Julian Sark?

We also recommend: Hey Dude (Amazon), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Netflix and Hulu), and The Wonder Years (Netflix)

COMEDIES GUARANTEED TO MAKE YOU LAUGH

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Season 1 (Hulu)

Watch it with: Your little brother who knows all the words to "I'm on a Boat"

Why you should watch it: Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the perfect series to fill the time between the hotdogs and the sloppy joes. The funniest new show of last season, B99 is a workplace comedy featuring people we'd never want to work with (well, except for maybe Andre Braugher's Captain Ray Holt). With a cast of eccentric supporting characters you can't help but love (lookin' at your Gina!), we don't even mind Andy Samberg in the lead role, because everything else is so damn funny. You'll be surprised how quickly you burn through Season 1.

We also recommend: Review (Hulu), Veep (HBO Go) and The Red Green Show (YouTube)

LADY-CENTRIC DRAMAS

Witches of East End, Season 1 (Netflix and Hulu)

Watch it with: Your mom who doesn't understand why you don't call her enough

Why you should watch it: Lifetime's campy Witches of East End is the perfect summer series. Starring Julia Ormond as a witch and mother of two other witches (Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Rachel Boston), the series is a fun watch that won't suck away your will to live like some of summer's patented reality shows. It's a breezy series that takes itself just seriously enough. Plus, it's easy to pick up where you left off in the off-chance your marathon is cut short by a trip to the ER to have Jimmy's fingers reattached. Season 2 debuts Sunday, July 6.

We also recommend: Scandal (Netflix), Hart of Dixie (Netflix), and Melrose Place (Netflix)

"I ALWAYS MEANT TO WATCH THAT" SHOWS

The West Wing, Season 1-7 (Netflix)

Watch it with: Anyone but your right-wing uncle with an opinion on everything

Why you should watch it: What's more patriotic than The West Wing? In addition to being one of the best written dramas in television history, the series finally made politics seem interesting by giving voices to the men and women who work behind-the-scenes at the White House. It made the world of public service feel cool and romantic, and it did it with snappy, witty dialogue and an idealized view of American politics. The series influenced many millennials and if after watching the show you're not inspired to do something for the greater good of your fellow men, you watched it wrong. Plus: The Jackal.

We also recommend: The Sopranos (HBO Go and Amazon), Twin Peaks (Netflix), and The X-Files (Netflix)

TEEN SHOWS YOU WON'T BE EMBARRASSED TO WATCH

Faking It, Season 1 (Hulu)

Watch it with: Your best friend who knows all your secrets and still hangs out with you

Why you should watch it: On the surface, Faking It's central plot sounds about as well constructed as my fourth grade birdhouse: Amy and Karma—two lifelong best friends—pretend to be lesbians in order to climb the social ladder at their liberal Texas high school. But the series has its merits and often boldly (and hilariously) showcases the confusing world of young love through the eyes of its central duo, who are driven by emotion and lust, and who are coming to terms with their sexuality. MTV's newest comedy takes on more than just your average high school problems while still capturing everything you felt back in your own days of youth. Bonus: There are no vampires at this high school!

We also recommend: Teen Wolf (Amazon), The Carrie Diaries (Netflix), and Greek (Netflix)

DRAMAS THAT MAKE YOU THINK

Rubicon, Season 1

Watch it with: Your sophisticated and often pretentious know-it-all father

Why you should watch it: Rubicon, a conspiracy thriller starring James Badge Dale, Christopher Evan Welch, and Miranda Richardson, arrived a few years too early to be a successful hit for AMC, but would probably have found success in today's struggling lineup. Set at the American Policy Institute (API), a government intelligence think tank, the series slowly unravels a compelling mystery involving grand conspiracies committed by a secret society in corporate America. If you prefer your TV with a side of complex puzzles that require actual brainpower, or a drama that poses serious and thoughtful questions, this is a series you don't want to miss.

We also recommend: The Hour (Amazon), Orphan Black (Amazon), and Battlestar Galactica (Netflix)

SHOWS THAT GIVE YOU FEELINGS

Parenthood, Seasons 1-4 (Netflix) Season 5 (Hulu)

Watch it with: Your siblings and a good bottle of wine

Why you should watch it: Everyone needs a good cry every now and then (yes, even you men), and there's nothing better than a good Parenthood cry as the series takes viewers through the ups and downs of the large, loud, and verbose Braverman family. The series deftly explores relationship dynamics while never shying away from difficult subjects like Asperger's, cancer, and even divorce. But at the end of the day, no matter what problems the Bravermans may have (and they have a lot of problems), there's nothing a little well-timed family advice and dinner can't handle. 

We also recommend: Shameless (Showtime Anytime), Friday Night Lights (Netflix), and Rectify (Netflix)

What will you watch this weekend?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2006

Season 5 : Episode 17

268 Comments
Comments (268)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Would it kill you to add Batman: The Animated Series to the list???
Flag
1) Firefly - there's a problem with any list if this isn't on it. the weird gunslinger-in-space drama hits all the right highs in 14 episodes of Joss Whedon genius.
2) Steven Spielberg's Taken - an unusual one i'll grant you but in 10 episodes, you'll see aliens, government conspiracies, families and all the other trappings that'll remind you of E.T.
3) Spooks (UK) - even as Jack Bauer had 24 hours to save the day, the unsung heroes of the British MI5 had their trials too. With favourite characters killed off every season, the harsh realities of the spy world came together with a tv show brimming with epic storylines and surprising celebrity cameos.
4) Buffy - the first of it's kind, this show had a cheerleader not afraid to go toe-to-toe with the worst there is. if you like vampires and all things supernatural, then this show is for you. And after the finale, you can all imagine a future where Buffy and Xander hook up as well.
Flag
Farscape?
Flag
Damn!! Nice one. should really have included Farscape as well. Loved Ben Browder (you aren't him are you with that name) in that as I did when he starred in SG1 with all his quips and "Earth" expressions / impressions.
Flag
I wish I was Ben Browder! But no, I'm just another "John" who loved Browder's "John Crichton" so much (better than Kirk, IMHO), I thought I'd choose him as my avatar.

My holy trinity of TV sci-fi:

- Farscape.
- Firefly.
- Fringe.
Flag
Season 5 alone killed the whole series of Fringe for me.
Flag
Best comedy I ever remember was Coupling (UK version)

Flag
I'm watching lost again Yes, it has lost its shine but still entertaining.
I miss Men of a certain age.
I wouldn't mind seeing Six feet under again
Flag
Brooklyn Nine-Nine is stupid. Stupid dialogue. Stupid characters. Anyone who thinks it is funny either thinks stupidity is funny or needs to look up comedy in the dictionary.
Flag
Binge watch list:
Orphan Black (Maslany will slay it at every scene)
Orange is the New Black (very interesting support cast although I'm still not loving the lead character)
FRIENDS (good memories of comedy without perversity and it's pre-Kardashian era... smelly cat, anyone?

But if you have good emotional investment to spare with good stress I'd say Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead will be my top picks for complex characters, great visuals and amazing storytelling.
Flag
Firefly.
Flag
Binge Watch List
24( I have seen this series 4 times)
BSG (Awesome experience)
LOST( Don't let the finale piss you off)
and X Files (which stills holds up 20 years later) and don't let THIS finale piss you off either!! LOL!!
Flag
Friday Night Lights I definitely agree with. It's a fantastic show, almost beginning to end, with tons of heart.

Alias, again, I agree...most of the show was fantastic. And yes, I also agree that season 5 got a bit...off the rails.

Teen Wolf...it's just a helluva fun show.

Battlestar Galactica was amazing, from beginning to end. Watch it now.

My additions...
Stargate SG-1, SG Atlantis, and SG Universe (maybe skipping over seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1...they didn't hold up to the rest of the series, IMHO)
Firefly (that one would only take a day, unfortunately...)
Band of Brothers, if a TV mini-series counts.
Doctor Who
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
The Newsroom
And finally, Justice League Unlimited (yes, it's a cartoon, but it was FANTASTIC, if you're a DC comics fan).
Flag
Oh, also Longmire. And yes, I realize my viewing habits are all over the place.
Flag
I will always hate AMC for canceling Rubicon and replacing it with The Killing.
Flag
My choices to binge watch:

Millenium,
Soap
Carnivale
Stargate SG1
Kolchak, The Night Stalker
Kyle XY
American Gothic
Earth 2
Daria
Flag
Daria, what do you think people do on dates? I kinda miss that one.
Flag
No, do not watch Kyle Xy. I find shows to be disappointing when they end up with a cliffhanger. (Yeah, it was canceled. There was an explanation on the internet of what might have happened or w/e...but meh. The show itself was pretty good when I watched it but my taste might have improved through tasting the delicious TV shows we currently have)
Flag
Yeah Rubicon and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are superb.

Both are highly recommended!
Flag
Shamelessssss! Best show you ain't watching.
Flag
Checked out Faking It. Its surprisingly good.
Flag
What about Dr. Who, especially to get ready for a new season in August? I think Teen Wolf is one of the best shows on tv right now so I'm glad that made your list too!!!! Loved the comments about Buffy bc I also believe it transcended teen shows and find it relevant still even though it's been off the air for a few years and I'm not a teen anymore but it still resonates with me. :)
Flag
Staff
I will always recommend Doctor Who (although the back half of the most recent season was lacking). I love that show and the only reason it's not on the list is because I didn't want it to become too long. But yes, by all means, I suggest viewers watch Doctor Who!
Flag
/sigh I blame it on Clara. Maybe it's just that we (or I) got too used to Amy and Rory. I still just don't like Clara that much. It's not that I dislike her, I just really don't care either way.
Flag
I sadly agree with you about the last half of the recent season. Most of the people I spoke to about the last Matt Smith episode were frustrated. I was SO disappointed with his ending show too. I really hope this next season with Capaldi gets that magic back. Thanks for your reply!!!!! :)
Flag
It's not a US or Canada show maybe that's why it's not on the list
Flag
Neither is Orphan Black, yet it's on the list
Flag
One Tree Hill should get a mention under 'teen shows'. Seasons 1-4 were the best!
Flag
Yes to Witches of East End ... and I'm an old guy! Julia Ormond, is truly captivating, as always, and Mädchen Amick plays the part of a world weary tart perfectly. The two youngins, Jenna Dewan-Tatun and Rachel Boston, play their sibling roles superbly for young unknowns. And the writing is crisp and smart. It's light fare, but it's good fare.

Flag
I started watching the first episode, and couldn't get past the horrible FX in the first few minutes (there was some sort of demon or something, and it just looked horrible).
Flag
Dream Lover (1993) :)
Flag
Your reference is to Mädchen Amick I assume, since Dream Lover hardly made blip on the radar, Yes, she's talented and much underused.
Flag
someone, somewhere needed to mention Peaky Blinders! Watch it with English subs if you have a problem with the accent... It is a brilliant show! 6 episodes for season 1 and season 2 is coming up.

Flag
Talking about peaky Blinders, I just saw that Tom Hardy will join the cast for the upcoming series/season. He will play a charismatic leader who presents a unique opportunity for Tommy. Now everyone needs to watch it ! :)
Flag
I'm always surprised and elated to see The Red Green Show talked about outside of my home and native land, it's a staple in Canada, you would be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of 18 that doesn't know Red Green. In fact Red Green and Corner Gas are required viewing to becoming a Canadian citizen. But of course outside of our borders he's less well known.
Flag
Staff
The Red Green Show might be Canadian, but should be required viewing for everyone everywhere!
Flag
Red Green is definitely a classic. Did you ever watch Smith and Smith, Red's prior project in collaboration with his wife (Steve and Morag Smith are there actual names)? Nothing quite like it on TV, Canadian or otherwise.
Flag
No, I never did, my parents did though and they've told me about it. They didn't play re-runs of it like they did with Red Green, I think they still air episodes of it on the comedy network.
Flag
Red Green made power tools, duct tape and the manly man big long before Tim Allen came along.

Canada has produced a lot of skit comedy shows but Wayne and Shuster started it all.
Flag
ooh Rubicon again :(
Flag
This is a fantastic list, I watched/watch most of them and the others are on my list.
Alias is one of my all time favourites, it's a fantastic show. Sydney Bristow has become the yard stick to which I compare all female leads and very few of them match up (Olivia Dunham being one notable exception).
The West Wing is my favourite drama series, I watch all the DVD's every 6 months, it's superb.
I haven't seen Rubicon, Rectify, Friday Night Lights, The Sopranos or Twin Peaks yet, but I fully intend to.
Faking It is surprising fun, I recommend it.
Flag
Friday Night Lights is a FANTASTIC show. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
Flag
Recently ended: (2012-2014)
1. Breaking Bad
2. Fringe
3. Nikita
4. Southland
5. Happy Endings
6. Chuck
7. Treme
8. Raising Hope
9. How I Met Your Mother
10. Being Human (US)

Complex/Dramas with lots of Characters:
1. Game of Thrones
2. Boardwalk Empire
3. Mad Men

Drama dealing with the law/cops:
1. Justified
2. Sons of Anarchy
3. The Good Wife

Psychological Dramas:
1. Hannibal
2. Homeland
3. Bates Motel

Shows that give you feelings:
1. Parenthood
2. Shameless
3. Rectify

Teen shows you won't be embarrassed to watch:
1. Awkward.
2. The Vampire Diaries
3. Switched at Birth

Spy/Action:
1. Person of Interest
2. Banshee
3. The Americans

Sci-Fi:
1. Orphan Black
2. Continuum
3. Doctor Who

Fantasy/Horror:
1. Penny Dreadful
2. The Walking Dead
3. Supernatural

Superheros:
1. Arrow
2. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
3. The Flash (Pilot is available online somewhere)

(New) Comedy:
1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
2. Review
3. The Goldbergs

Comedy:
1. Community
2. Parks & Recreation
3. Cougar Town

Dramedy:
1. Orange is the New Black
2. Louie
3. Silicon Valley

Sleepers:
1. Masters of Sex
2. Reign
3. Playing House

Online Originals:
1. Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
2. House of Cards (Netflix)
3. Deadbeat (Hulu)

Anthology:
1. Fargo
2. True Detective
3. American Horror Story
More+
Flag
Wow, you've been a busy Bam! Thanks for the list. A few I've yet to taste
Flag
Lol. I can't stop adding TV shows. I watch over 100+ TV shows or something like that. Thank god they air in different seasons and don't all compete with each other. There are shows that are as great as these shows that I watch that I haven't listed and there are probably more that I don't watch that aren't here but are great.

Shows ending next/this season: (As sad as I am to see them go, my schedule has a little room to breathe at last.)
- Parenthood
- Parks & Recreation
- Cougar Town
- Justified
- Sons of Anarchy
- Boardwalk Empire
- Mad Men
- Wilfred
- The Newsroom
- White Collar
- Nikita

Ended 2013-2014:
- Fringe
- How I Met Your Mother
- Californication
- The Big C
- Southland
- Raising Hope
- Dexter
- Treme
- Being Human (US)
- Happy Ending
Flag
BTW, Being Human (US) is actually Being Human (Canada) ... they keep listing it that way because net execs haven't come the the realization yet that Canada exists.
Flag
Of course determining the nationality of a show based on its actors is foolhardy. Ben Browder, American, played John Chricton on Farscape and Cameron Mitchell on Stargate SG1 -- the first was Australian and the second was Canadian. And Lorne Greene, iconic Canadian actor, was Ben Cartwright in Bonanza, the most American of shows you could imagine.
Flag
Actually, Bam, on further investigation this would seem to be SPACE/SYFY co-production and IMDB lists it as Canadian-US. The production company is Canadian and it is filmed in Montreal, but the cast is both Canadian and American and there is certainly some US money invested. The production company, Muse Entertainment, also produces Helix and Bomb Girls, the first of which IMDB lists as American while the 2nd is wholly Canadian. So it's kind of a hard call.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Hmm. Wiki says "Being Human (North American TV series)" I guess that's a better way of putting it.
Flag
Are you saying it's Canada because its a Canadian production? I'm saying it's US because as far as I know it's original channel is/was SyFy.
Flag
Animation - Comedy:
1. Archer
2. Bob's Burgers
3. Rick and Morty

Animation - Story:
1. The Legend of Korra
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)
3. Gravity Falls

Meaning to watch but haven't:
1. The Shield
2. The West Wing
3. Deadwood
Flag
You teally should watch Deadwood, The Shield and West Wing. And if you haven't seen Justified, you just have to. And season 1-3 of Damages.
Flag
I watch Justfied. It's on the list above. I get too lazy catching up on shows and I sometimes also end up multitasking a lot while the episodes are playing unless the show is something like Breaking Bad...one of the few shows I was pretty focused on. I also need to finish Battlestar Galactica (stopped on season 1 two years ago). I also need to check out Lost and a lot of other stuff. I've missed out on a lot :( (due to me being a kid back then/not caring too much about TV shows back then)
Flag
Staff
I would move BSG to the top of your list, ASAP. The final season lost its way a bit, but I'd argue seasons 1-3 were some of the finest TV that's even been produced. It really made you look at the world through a new set of lenses.
Flag
Carnivale is also worth watching. It's pretty strange but I loved it.
Flag
BSG is good, but it has its moments of weakness. It was pretty courageous, creatively, but it did go over the top a few times. I'm willing to forgive that for a good stiry by a crew that seems to care about what they are creating ...
Flag
BSG is SO good!!!! Keep watching, you'll be on the edge of your seat!!!!!
Flag
Flag
I loved Alias to death..it was spectacular. It kinda spawned many similar genres these days but nothing really comes close to it. It made Jennifer Gardner a household name and I always noticed an actor in it that deserved much more screen time and viola, we now have Bradley Cooper! West Wing was intellectually stimulating and really made u wonder about all the BS that goes into playing the massive PR machine in the White house and how seemingly "coincidental" many current issues were depicted then.
Flag
I miss West Wing. I'm not American, but I thinks it's something America needs in these weird times. A rational approach to politics.
Flag
That's a big part of what I like about The Newsroom. It has that same sort of idealistic political feel you got from The West Wing.
Flag
On the "Shows that give you feelings" category: Medium, Fringe and Numb3rs.

To watch with your mom, siblings or father, its that kind of warm, family hour that proves, no matter in which scenario (workplace, university, FBI), your love ones will always be there for you.
Flag
Farscape. That is all
Flag
Agreed. Except for the part where you say "that's all". I want my Fringe, and my Firefly, and Life, and The Wire and ...
Flag
Everyone should watch Alias.
Seasons 1-2 were beyond brilliant.
Seasons 3-4 were not nearly as good but still watchable.
Season 5 is something I like to forget ever happened. Blame it on Ben. Blame it on pregnancy. Whatever you want to call it the timing could not have been worse.
She was the female superhero people always clamor about Hollywood not giving us but she chose family life instead.
Flag
Everyone should watch La Femme Nikita. Alias was a cheap knock-off of Nikita (the original, not CW's mess). Nikita's film and TV incarnations blew Alias out of the water with both quality and yearning. The Nikita finale was powerful, while Alias' was a joke. I won't even touch on Garner's acting, because you obviously haven't seen Peta's.
Flag
Are you speaking of the French film or the Canadian TV series. Wait, it doesn't matter. Both are worth re-watching ...
Flag
And, I must confess, the Americans did a pretty good remake with the CW series. Got the whole spy stuff right. Still, it seemed to lack the heart of the original ...
Flag
Yeah, I did love Alex. Who couldn't. But I still contend that the Canadian series had more heart. Maggie's woes just seemed a little trivial at times ...
Flag
I beg to differ. Peta's acting was off the charts, but in every other aspect, Nikita was superior. In particular, the female villain was much better, more developed.
The addition of Alex was brilliant.
Flag
Nikita ain't La Femme Nikita, but it's a decent TV show, by American standards. You won't get invested in the life of Maggie, as you did with Peta, but it is entertaining ...
Flag
I'll have to go back and look at it again, then. I watched most of the first season, but it just didn't pull me in.
Flag
But, Damn, how could you not fall in love with Peta ...
Flag
Why are you so rude to assume I haven't seen La Femme Nakita?
Hannibal Lecter would have your innards for supper.

I have watched the film at least 4-5 times.

It is a thread about binge-worthy TV shows and you make some obnoxious, arrogant comment about a film (that happens to be incredibly famous and likely seen by a large number of the members of this site...).
Please go away.
Flag
If you read the post again, you'll find I am talking about the TV show, thus making it completely on-topic.
Flag
Flag
I recently watched the first episode of Alias. It was so great! Lately I've been watching Cold Case (love that show!), Bob's Burgers, Doctor Who (S7 now on Netflix), Bob's Burgers, 30 Rock and The West Wing.
Flag
Banshee... slow start but once it got going I was hooked and watched them all in quick succession.
Flag
Slow start? I'd have to disagree. Banshee is an adrenaline fueled ride with only one speed -- overdrive. It's not to everyone's taste -- sex and violence in abundance -- but it is something special. And it has definitely set the bar for fighting choreography.
Flag
Great pick. The brutality of that show is movie quality, without the fights I would still like the show but with them it's a must watch.
Flag
I have to start watching Sleepy Hollow. Also watching Gravity Falls again before season 2 starts in August!
Flag
Alias rocked until season 3.
Flag
Gee! Am I the online one who loved season 3???...

Flag
Although I thought it trailed off near the end the season, Rubicon would now be a show AMC clinged to for dear life.
Flag
Season 4 of Alias had a better surprise ending than season 2. I won't spoil it, but the last line of the season made my jaw drop.
Flag
Rubicon was mostly boring and preposterous rather than intelligent. Awake is a much better alternative for a truly intelligent series.
Flag
Oh my god yes! Awake is fantastic! Everyone needs to watch that show.

Rubicon was interesting at first but after awhile I just couldn't find the conspiracy realistic enough.
Flag
Yes, Awake is an undiscovered gem. But it's cancellation kind of puts a damper on the binge watching. The ending, IMHO, was a little disappointing, not that they had much of a choice.
Flag
To me, the last episode was at the same levels as the last episode of Twin Peaks (esp. when Isaacs takes a phone call from himself). But yeah, the final result didn't really make that much sense to me and it certainly didn't wrap it all up. But I still found it extremely satisfying nonetheless.
Flag
Absolutely agree! Jason Isaacs fans also should watch Case Histories.

Rubicon - what, they fired all the writers halfway through??? Super global conspiracy to orchestrate the commuter train disaster; then the "hit man" they send to kill the hero is nothing but a third-rate amateur bungler??? And the "vast conspiracy" turns out to be 4 guys sitting around in a dark room??? WTH happened to that show???
Flag
More or less what I feel about Rubicon as well. Can you tell me more about Case Histories?
Flag
Bradley Cooper was a travel host on PBS's Globe Trekker. Wasn't that before Alias?
Flag
I don't think anyone took notice of him until Alias. What the heck is Globe Trekker?? Im sure most ppl don't know either.
Flag
Thanks for recommending Faking It, Kaitlin. I watched it and I fell in love with this show :)
Flag
Staff
You're welcome!
Flag
The funniest new show of last season was Trophy Wife.
Flag
Tout d'un coup !
Flag
Actually, that's a damn good question. With only ten episodes per season, it seems like a good candidate for bingeing. On the other hand, it's the kind of show that gives you a whole lot to think about while waiting for the next episode. OB tends to answer the viewers questions in a timely manner rather than dragging its threads out (hear that LOST and many others?) but, at the same time, anticipation is kind of a thrill. On the other hand, I could watch each episode several times to glean the dramatic gems. Hell, I could watch Tatiana do her thing 24/7 if I didn't have a life to lead. She's absolutely incredible in her various roles. However you watch it, you won'ty be disappointed. Except for the fact that you have to wait for Season three.
Flag
Thanks for your advices, john. my motivation to see that show is higher after reading your comment.
Flag
Binge watch, no question. For me, at least, it's a show that is confusing as heck, so I profited from the binge watching. Still waiting for Amazon Prime to catch up with Season Two. Tatiana is almost as amazing as the tech wizards behind this show. Too bad it (and Louie) is not on a pay channel.

Enjoy!
Flag
Staff
Orphan Black is definitely an easy show to binge watch! And once you get in to it, you won't want to stop anyway. So I highly recommend watching as many as you like at one time! It's powerfully addictive.
Flag
Thanks Kaitlin. Finally the advice i need. I will follow my pleasures without thinking too much. I suddenly feel lucky for having 20 episodes to see. It's gonna be great !
Flag
Yes, indeed, it will be. The best thing Canada has ever put out. Maybe the best thing anyone has ... oh, yeah, but I keep forgetting about The Wire.
Flag
Rubicon!! What a wonderful, thought provoking show that was. Still hurts it was cancelled so soon :(

Flag
Would it not be a waste to watch since there was never an end to it?
Flag
Batman Beyond. 'Nuff said.
Flag
And Justice League Unlimited.
Flag
Hunh?
Flag
It was a cartoon from 1999 to 2001(2?) with Kevin Conroy as the 80+ year old Bruce Wayne and Will Friedle as a 16 year old Batman...awesome - look it up.
Flag
I loved that Batman! They cut it too short =(
Flag
OK, did I read that right? An 80 year old-Bruce Wayne and a 16 year-old Batman? At the same time? This is starting to sound like Bubba Ho-Tep .
Flag
Young Justice, both seasons. Now, 'nuff said.
Flag
Nope, Batman Beyond is way better. Bruce Wayne voiced by Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle as Batman...awesome.
Flag
I meant Batman Beyond and Young Justice _both,_ 'nuff said.
Flag
My bad. I'm not real big on animation since my girls grew up. But I do appreciate the art. It's just a somewhat limited adult audience.
Flag
My niece gave a graphic novel for my birthday. She and my nephew (both adults) are fond of the genre and wanted to hook me so we had one more thing to share. But I just can't get into it ... which is weird because I'm not usually someone averse to new experiences. There's just something about comics I left in my childhood and can't recoveer ...
Flag
Yeah, but Batman Beyond is fairly adult with awesome graphics.
Flag
Friends don't let friends watch past season 2 of Alias
Flag
Agreed. It got progressively worse after that. I think season 3 was tolerable, but season 5 was absolutely horrible. Some of the worst garbage I've seen.
Flag
By the time season 5 rolled around, it made season 3 better. But the first two seasons were BOSS. The first season is still (to me) the best first season of ANY show ever put on NETWORK TV.
Flag
And the Pilot!?!?! Top best pilot episode of all time! No doubt!! I damn near worshipped that show, but I couldn't finish the last season smh. They butchered it ='(
Flag
Binge on Alphas, Farscape, Awake, Rick & Morty, Star Trek TOS/TNG/DS9, Homicide: Life on the Street, Columbo, Happy Endings, Tron Uprising, Married with Children, and Futurama.

Cherrypick from Justified's later seasons after watching season 1 and 2 all the way through.Watch one episode of Friends or ER or The Rockford Files, there, now you've seen them all.

Find only the color episodes of Wild Wild West after they stopped trying to be all serious. And Watch Maverick but only the James Garner episodes and maybe one or two Roger Moore episodes even though that made no sense at all.

Flag
Yes on Farscape and Awake. No on Homicide simply because it's too depressing to binge on, despite its magnificence. The Wire is a good binge because it comes up for air every now and again. Homicide doesn't, but damn it was good. Alphas, yeah. Somewhat lightweight but very entertaining despite it's furiously inconclusive ending. Personally, I wouldn't binge any of the Star Treks. Not enough serialization to keep the creative juices flowing. And I hardly remember Columbo although I do have fond memories of Peter Falk's character. My 2 cents ...
Flag
Homicide: Life on the Street? It is great, but marathon view only if your holiday is proving to be one that was filled with way too many uppers.
Flag
Agreed. Unless you are completely insensitive, Homicide is bound to throw you into a depression in large doses.
Flag
122 hours? I say it can be done! There are only 76 hours in this holiday weekend? That's why they call them "challenges"!
Flag
Good choice, current, my first thought! I was going to give a shout out to this magnificent show, but didn't think anyone still cared.

I'd recommend Boom Town and Dead Like Me and Six Feet Under, as well. Bring a box of Kleenex to the last six minutes of the finale of SFU.
Flag
Dead Like Me deserved a better ending than that horrible movie.
Flag
Flag
Oooo, bonus points for Tron Uprising! Criminally underrated (and apparently under-viewed series)!
Flag
That's what happens when you put something on Disney XD and then do next to no marketing, and move it to midnights.
Flag
That and Thundercats are about the only animated shows I've watched in the last 8 years. And both disappeared.
Flag
I didn't watch Young Justice because I was a huge fan of the 90's Young Justice comic series and was incredibly peeved that they didn't even remotely follow the events of that series but basically went for yet another nonsensical rehashing of Teen Titans instead.
Flag
Well, if you had watched Young Justice, you would have been disappointed by its sudden cancellation. A lot of non-comedy animation lately that doesn't have "Star Wars" in its name has been getting shorted. But Tron Uprising really stings because it was so good and an in-house license that they just let die on the vine.
Flag
ugh i wish Teen Wolf was on this in a more official manner. I love that show so much, even though its incredibly flawed.
Flag
Flawed - Adj. Definition: Of or having the qualities of being FUCKING AWESOME!
Flag
ok ya it is pretty fucking awesome, but it has its faults. :P
Flag
Staff
I love Teen Wolf, but sometimes you need to spread the love around!
Flag
Agreed! :D
Flag
Polygamy endorsement???? Big Love binge watching!!!!
Flag
I've been watching the original 1984 Transformers cartoon as protest for the new movie, does that count? I'm only 1 episode away from season 3 though, so I think I'm done as season 3 is "let's throw the baby out with the bathwater".

I'm considering popping in my Star Trek: TOS blu-rays, watching at least one Bladerunner alternate cut blu-rays, and other things that would ensure my girlfriend leaves me.
Flag
Then you are with the wrong girl! lol That sounds like a great night in.
Flag
Alias, binge on the first 2 seasons, then run as far as you can from the rest. Jack Bristow is the man, but even he couldn't entirely salvage this series, the last 2 seasons utterly soiled it for me.

I'm shocked you didn't put The Wire into the list of "I Always Meant to Watch" Shows, as it's one of those for me. Twin Peaks is not a show that should be in this category though, it should be "Dramas That Make You Think" because you will have to fill in a fuckton of blanks and confusing yet compelling shit. Also, who the fuck hasn't watched The X-Files? Climb out of that cave you've been living in for the last 25 years!
Flag
Both Twin Peaks and X-Files fall into the category of infuriatingly brilliant. They toyed with us, over and over again, until we were full invested, then they left us out to dry. Kinda likes cults, that promise everything but fail to deliver in the end. It was great TV, but it was damn poor stiory tellinfg.
Flag
I haven't seen The X-Files. I was a pretty casual TV viewer and I mostly just watched whatever was on Nickelodeon and Disney at the time. I was also not as open to trying many stuff out. Around 2008 or so, I slowly started to become a TV addict. :S (It all started with one show and another and another. I didn't feel like waiting too much between seasons so I wanted to watch more shows. A few good shows to watch is better than watching just one :P) Oh...I also used to go outside a lot...something I don't do as often anymore. Lazy me :/
Flag
Staff
Telling people to watch The Wire feels almost like a cliche now. But I agree that it DOES deserve to be seen.
Flag
The Wire is kinda like the TV equivalent of gold. Many of us have never seen it, but we all know it's incredibly valuable. I've got my Five Season set and I share it with anyone up to the challenge. It really is an artistic wonder to behold.
Flag
I agree. Im that type you're talking about. I've heard about it for years. I even have HBO..but for some reason I just won't click it..is it really that great? And I mean like great great? Production wise, acting wise, story wise and all??
Flag
Sometimes, when people hear about something that is artistically great, they fear it will also be esoteric and dull. Not so with The Wire. At times it's hilarious, at others it is heart-breaking.
Flag
And all! Watch the first 2 minutes, the "snot boogie" scene, and then decide if you want to go forth.
Flag
I even have the soundtrack, 4 different versions of Tom Waits' brilliant "Down In The Hole" ... next to the original, my favourite versin is Steve Earle's, who alos had a small role in the show.
Flag
BTW, I don't suppose you folk have a job opening for an aging cynic like me. Apart from writing, I could probably figure out how to put an edit button on this page.
Flag
Damn. katiling, when are you people going to invent that edit button. I'm a writer, not a typist ...
Flag
I'll be watching China Beach.... just started season 3 YAY!!!

Flag
It was a good show, but it had the bad fortune to be a show questioning the wisdom of going to war when we decided to go to war.
Flag
Good show with a good soundtrack. There were a few good storylines as well. I won't pretend to know any of the politcs about it either.

I watched this show when it actually aired on tv and back then I was too young to understand what it was really about.

I'm not watching it to make a statement just watching it because I enjoyed it and wanted to revisit it.
Flag
Watch Carnivale. Only 2 seasons but it was so weird and gorgeously shot. It won several Emmys. Plus it'll wet your appetite before American Horror Story:Carnivale.
Flag
Spelling nitpick: In that context, the word is whet (sharpen), not wet.

Agreed on the recommendation. Who would've thought something so overwhelmingly brown could look so good? And it was wonderfully creepy in places. It's an all-time favorite of mine.
Flag
Oh thank you very much for pointing that out, I had no idea! To my defence, English is not my mother tongue. So do you spell a " whet stone" this way then?
Flag
Yes, it's whet stone.

I never understood why Carnivale was canceled, it was amazing. And in the extras for the 2nd season DVDs, the actors mentioned that they were working on the 3rd season. So why not at least finish off the series?
Flag
Right, whet stone (two words) or whetstone (one word). Either is acceptable.

As to Carnivale, its lukewarm ratings just weren't worth the very large expense it took to create. Plus, they'd have needed another four seasons to finish telling the story as originally envisioned. Sigh.
Flag
P.S. that's "in" my defence not "to". I await a justifiable amount of humiliation for my typos at your hands in the future.
Flag
Ah, thanks, translating literally from French again, where we would use "to" (pour) my defence. I think I'm going to start using "nip it in the butt".And yes, we should all believe in the Petal Stool. Hey, we can start a cult!
Flag
Yes, another member of the grammar police. I don't do it because I like it, I do it because it is needed.
Flag
I try really hard to avoid pointing out spelling and/or grammar mistakes as a rule, especially on the Internet where they're rampant. I hope I don't come across as one of Those People. But if someone is obviously making an effort to write well and misspells an uncommon word that's a homophone for a common one, I figure it's worth chiming in -- hopefully in a nice way -- merely to educate rather than embarrass. That stems from my own preference for being corrected once and learning something I didn't know than being wrong in perpetuity.

Flag
And I am grateful when people take the time to point little things like that out. Sometimes you can spend years being convinced a certain spelling is accurate only to find out you've been wrong all along. The funniest I've ever encountered was someone on a fan forum who spelt "pedestal" "petal stool".
Flag
Hey, Bad, I went through 17 years of this with my ex-wife. I still haven't convinced her that "nip it in the butt" doesn't make botanical sense. "Nip it in the bud" I repeat, to no avail. And yet ... we continue to believwe in petal stools.
Flag
Freak Show! A title HBO wasn't bold enough to use for Carnivale at the time!
Flag
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Flag
I have a feeling I'm gonna be binging Sleepy Hollow pretty soon. I miss it too much. I need Yolanda and skinny jeans.
Flag
Staff
I was going to add it to the list, but the entire season is not available for streaming, I don't believe. Such a bummer.
Flag
Sadly no. :(

But I'll take what I can get!
Flag
Too many C/Kaitlins in one comment thread, Caitlin overload!
Flag
Overload, maybe, but it's not a caitastrophe.

Flag
One can't Kait enough in my opinion. Good writing knows no bounds. Except , of course, when it becomes annoying, as mine often does. But Kaitlin never ...

P.S. I'm serious about that job ... if it doesn't involve physical activity (disabled) I'm in. Unless it involves lying, or thinking to hard.
Flag
Witches of East End
Flag
"7 Learning Experiences to Make You a More Loyal Minion to Kaitlin Thomas"
Flag
Staff
You've discovered my secrets.
Flag
There was an excellently bingeable Canadian show called "Intelligence," about the Canadian Government working with criminals to create an intelligence network.
Flag
There was a painfully unimpressive American show called "Intelligence," about the US Cyber Command and some guy who couldn't think of many interesting uses for a super computer in his brain.
Flag
After the first episode was such colossal suck I re watched this series instead.
Flag
I totally thought it was going to be Chuck if John Casey or Bryce Larkin got the Intersect instead of Chuck. Let's just say I was a little bit more than disappointed.
Flag
Hey, it wasn't that bad. Forgettable, yes. But damn that woman was hot! I hear she's on a soap or something similar. I wanna see her in something watchable.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members