Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

I think they made a very very bad mistake canceling this show (Poll)

Do you think they should have kept this show on air?

matrix103

[1]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 14
    I think they made a very very bad mistake canceling this show. I liked this show and I still do and I have all of the Seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lizanator112890

[2]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 7
    i serisouly cant believe why they cancelled the show! that was/is my favorite show! RGGH!

Razor_Leaf

[3]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 5

I think they made a mistake cancelling it when they did, with only 17 episodes in the final season, but I do think it was the right time to end it. Although the five seasons as a whole are still very strong, especially compared to a lot of shows on TV, I think there were signs that they were running out of ideas and re-using plotlines a little too often. I am glad that they went out after five seasons still maintaining a high standard and on a high, rather than going on for longer and the show beginning to deterioriate.

However I do think it was unfair that they only got 17 episodes in the final season. Having even 3 more episodes would have been nice to give them more time to give the series a completely satisfying and complete ending, if not 5 more episodes to make it a full 22 episode season. It's weird that the fifth season is shorter than the previous 4, and it would have been nice for them to have more time to build to the finale, as they would have had more time to tie up everything satisfactorily.

wzychee

[4]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 7
    Blame it on Ben Affleck. He knocked up Garner and singlehandedly put the series to bed. Plus, it had come to a natural transition to where it was probably time to end the story. The characters could have gone on, of course, but after season four, it was going to take a lot to top what they'd done in the past. Not to mention that Abrams had his bastard love child Lost to distract him.

In all actuality, though, I'm surprised that it went to season five, after having finally resolved the entire Rambaldi arc.

While I think that a spinoff with Rachel might have worked, Alias went out in true Alias fashion. The only thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was the absolutely horrific conclusion to the character of Irina. So much time and energy went into making that character so multi=layered ended up crapped on by making her a prototypical Bond villain.

Anyway, these days, five seasons is a blessing in the world of television.

sweet_em

[5]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 26
    I think that it was time for the show to be over. They could have had maybe one more season, but the quality may not have been so good. I was OK with it ending at that time and with the way it ended.

Selene_47

[6]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 6

First off, I love Alias, it's my all time fave show, and I wish it hadn't been cancelled. However...sometimes I think they should have left it at the end of season 3, quit while they were ahead and all that.

The show was cancelled by the network, so there was nothing anyone on the show could have done about it. Jen getting pregnant didn't help but it's definitely not because of that the show was cancelled, it was going downhill since season 4.

Plus, the reason there were only 17 episodes is because it got cancelled, not the other way round. They had to cut the storyline short because of Fox, and no other reason. Damn Fox.

sweet_em

[7]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 26
    Selene_47 wrote:

First off, I love Alias, it's my all time fave show, and I wish it hadn't been cancelled. However...sometimes I think they should have left it at the end of season 3, quit while they were ahead and all that.

The show was cancelled by the network, so there was nothing anyone on the show could have done about it. Jen getting pregnant didn't help but it's definitely not because of that the show was cancelled, it was going downhill since season 4.

Plus, the reason there were only 17 episodes is because it got cancelled, not the other way round. They had to cut the storyline short because of Fox, and no other reason. Damn Fox.

Why Fox? Alias was on ABC.

marto_dd

[8]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 17

Alias was my favorite show… And it will always be my favorite show. I really love some new series, but will never love anything as much as I loved Alias.

And I am happy that it ended. It's just finished and it has the perfect end. I love it.

The_Beekeeper

[9]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 10
    I adore the first two seasons of this show, but if you ask em it started to go downhill from there. So I'm fairly happy that the ended it when they did.

Page_47

[10]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 11
    I think the real mistake with the series was ABC's eagerness to get it back on the air. Even with having the show air in November 2005 would have given the writers more time to deal with the bad situation of Sydney's pregnancy. The best thing I can think of in terms of what could have happened would have been to give Garner a break, and let the show return with a flat-stomached Syd in 2006. With the sexy outfits and fight scenes back on the menu, not to mention the time for J.J Abrams to write an episode or two, the show could have gone for at least another full season of 22 episodes. What do you think?

Vyce3

[11]Sep 3, 2007
    I think it was time to end the Sydney/Rambaldi/etc arc of Alias once and for all. But I strongly believe they should make a spin-off with some of the characters (Sark, Rachel Nichols' character, the computer expert and maybe have Sydney and Michael come in once in a while) and a new story created by JJ Abrams.

PabloExobar

[12]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 18
    they made a bad mistake not letting the show have 5 more episodes. a spinoff would've worked... WITHOUT rambaldi. rambaldi's done, any more of him would've been a mistake.

matrix103

[13]Sep 5, 2007
    I agree with all of your theories.