TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Just saw the Series Finale

before_the_dawn

[21]May 23, 2006
    • level: 4
    So the finale was definitely a good episode, had some good moments that kicked ass, but overall, I felt a little jipped. The scenes with Irina were too short. I don't think her POV was explored enough for us to understand everything. Sloane's ending was fitting.

It was SO good to have that scene with Francie! I loved it. It felt classic. Especially her remarks in general, very Francie like.

Seeing Syd through the years and how she came to be the Sydney we know was interesting!

The whole Rambaldi thing, I figured it'd be about eternal life, but I don't really get where the Chosen One completes the Prophecy? She didn't really bring forth his works and bind them with fury exactly? And what desolation is there in eternal life.

The final endgame sort of makes Sloane seem not so evil. He knew all along what he was searching for and that Rambaldi would deliver upon his faith. I feel like he knew that he could save everyone and bring back the dead, so his journey of evil choices doesn't really matter, cause in the end he would be able to do the right thing. Having Jack take him out though was a nice touch, and having Sydney be able to shoot down Sloane was satisfying.

With regards to Isabelle at the end. I like that she was able to assemble the puzzle, and I love how she knocked it down so carefree, as to show that she won't follow in her mother's footsteps! They can finally live a normal life. Though Syd still goes on missions??? I thought she didn't want any more "spy crap"??? And I wonder, could Isabelle truly be the Chosen One, and maybe they can play that out somemore!

Overall, it was a good ending, but not completely satisfying for the hardcore fan, IMO. It would have been far better to understand the severity of the "end of nature" of Rambaldi's final gift, and how Irina truly would have used it to her advantage.

Oh, and the fact that Irina turned out to be evil, not so happy with that. And the fact that she and Jack bit the dust, equally upsetting. Though Jack's death was touching!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BeastBoy87

[22]May 23, 2006
    • level: 5
    The season finale was fantastic indeed. Favorite characters remained alive, with the exception of Jack, and Sloane finally got what he deserved. Alias...you will be missed.

SWERJ321

[23]May 23, 2006
    • level: 19

Kinda suspected Jack would die but it was a great way to end Sloane. I just love the irony that he finally unlocks the secret to Rimbaldi, gets eternal life and now has to pay for his sins by remaining alive trapped under tons of rock. O'Henry couldn't come up with poetic justice like that.

And sue me but I loved the ending. After all the crap she's been through in her life, Sydney damn well deserved a happy ending. And that she named her new son Jack was just wonderful.

Yarnalee

[24]May 23, 2006
    • level: 12

I was very disappointed in the finale.  I absolutely HATE that they killed Jack off and that Irina ended as evil.  Also, they promised to answer all the questions and I have to say that they failed to keep that promise.  The biggest unanswered question of all is: What the hell was Rambaldi up to and why did he set all that crap in motion in the first place?

Other thoughts I have about the finale:

I'm glad Sark survived in the end and that he showed some human feeling.

Sloane deserves his fate - but I would have preferred him dead.

I don't care about Tom committing suicide via bomb.  He was a weak character from the start.

I never cared for Rachel until the finale, but she finally seemed likable to me.  I laughed appreciatively at the under-wire bit.  Ah, the joys of being a girl.

I loved Peyton's snake-induced confessions, which I feel is very poetic as she's such a snake herself.  But what happened to her in the end?

I agree with those who have noted that the "drop ICBMs on D.C. and London to profit on the rebuilding" plot line was lame and unworthy of Alias.

All in all, it was a sorry ending to a sorry season.  Alias deserved better.  When it started it was so awesomely perfect!  From the premiere episode, I was enthralled.  But it lost steam toward the end.  It slipped in my estimation in season 4 to the extent that a cartoon - on Nickelodeon, no less - replaced it as my number one favorite show.  Well, I'll hang on to the memory of those early days which were the best the small screen has ever known.

R.I.P. Alias, I'll never forget you.

tylersmom65

[25]May 23, 2006
    • level: 9

Doobie718 wrote:
    My only thought would be that you KNOW Syd would have gone back for Jack, even just for his body, in which case they would have found Sloane. ???

That is a bit odd.  I thought about that too - she was so upset about leaving him, I shed a few tears watching that scene.  Very touching. 

I've only watched it once, plan to watch very end again.  Did Isabel appear to have some kind of telekenetic powers?  Or was I reading too much into that? 

vmars01

[26]May 23, 2006
    • level: 2

VanGriffin wrote:
    HollabackKing wrote:
    Yeah, it was a good finale. BTW, did anyone thought that Sark should have died instead of being let go?
    Yeah I'm surprised myself thast Vaugn didn't kill him. Kinda surprised both Sids parents died. I was rootin for Jack.

I was so sad and dissappointed that Jack died.  At the end I really liked her father, I could really care less about her mother.  I thoughlt the ending was really good.

vmars01

[27]May 23, 2006

Megz028 wrote:
    I thought it was one of the worst episodes of Alias ever!!! How dare they kill Jack & Irina!!! They should have just ended Alias last season when it was still a good show. I'm so mad they killed spy mommy and spy daddy!!!

I have to say at the beginning of the series finale was kind of boring, they shouldn't have killed her dad off.  It gjot better at the end.  I loved when Sydney shot Slone, that was awesome.

vmars01

[28]May 23, 2006
    FaithofGaia wrote:

Francine was there!  I was so glad, even though it was a flashback episode.

Though that scene with Irina felt somewhat anti-climatic, I mean compared to that giant orb last season, this one wasn't all that threatening to me. 

Alias was my post-Buffy show, and now that there's no more Alias, I don't know where I'll get my female-buttkicking fix   And no, Veronica Mars doesn't count because she only investigates things. 

I'll miss Sidney Bristow.

First I was Buffy, that was my favorite show, than I watch Alias and now that is over with, so I am watching Veronica Mars, that's my new show now.

antdude

[29]May 23, 2006
    • level: 27
    I feel bad for Sydney. She lost both of her parents on the same day(?).

archangelcory16

[30]May 23, 2006
    • level: 32
    I think they changed the Rambaldi storyline from what it was originally supposed to be. And I think the finale would have been better had the writers been given an entire 22 episodes to work with, as opposed to 17. There was too much to cram in after the hiatus.

s4ol

[31]May 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    jack is alive i think. maybey isabelle willbe a new bristow agent

Robbieboyagain

[32]May 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    I dont watch Alias much but the finale was ok. Wasnt the best series finale i have saw but ok. The only decent series finale this season has been Will and Grace and Charmed. Where in thoses shows we got total closure. 6/10.

Lina___Inverse

[33]May 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    before_the_dawn wrote:

The whole Rambaldi thing, I figured it'd be about eternal life, but I don't really get where the Chosen One completes the Prophecy? She didn't really bring forth his works and bind them with fury exactly? And what desolation is there in eternal life.

This is what I think. Syd went all over the world for the last 5 seasons (7 years) gathering Rambaldi artifacts for SD6, the CIA, and APO. She did this not because she wanted to but because of her desire to destroy Arvin Sloan over the muder of her fiance, which would, in my opinion, qualify as bringing forth his works and binding them with fury.

As to the eternal life thing, Sloane's trapped alone forever in a cave. If that's not desolation, I don't know what is. Rambaldi was a prophet, he probably knew what was going to happen to the beneficiary of the gift of eternal life.

However, I do agree with the observation that the writers didn't really follow through on a lot of things that were promised in Seasons 1 and 2. It's probably like Lost where they don't know what they intend to do and now they need to pull something off quick that won't make the fans mad. This happens a lot, unfortunately.

kmfc17

[34]May 23, 2006
    • level: 5
    I loved the ending, it was everything i expected and of course we are left with the image of Isabelle being the next Alias. It was good bringing Vaughn for the end because it would not have been the same without him. one detail i did not like was Weiss's death but the rest was great

charm3dkatie

[35]May 23, 2006
    • level: 4

I wish people would stop suggesting a spin-off. If the ratings were so abysmal, taking out Jennifer Garner (the main attraction to the show) would just be stupid. We'll all miss the show but it's better to just let it go than to suggest a spin-off.

The finale was actually pretty entertaining. Tom shouldn't have wimped out and died like that, Sark should've been more assertive and joined the good guys, and Irina must've been on some drug or something. No mother in their right mind would try to kill her own daughter. That was a bit ridiculous.

Sloane got what he deserved and I'm pretty sad that Jack had to die, but it *was* fairly predictable.

As a side note, was I the only one slightly annoyed that young Sydney had bright blue eyes and adult Sydney has dark eyes? I pay attention to those sorts of things and eye color definitely doesn't change by itself. >_> 

tuxedodan

[36]May 24, 2006
    • level: 9
    kmfc17 wrote:
    one detail i did not like was Weiss's death but the rest was great

When did Weiss die? JJ even said that he won't kill his best friend of his show. http://www.tv.com/greg-grunberg/person/1691/trivia.html

melbye80

[37]May 24, 2006
    • level: 33
    One more thing, where the hell was Weiss in this. I would expect him to be in the final episode, he was a part a show from episode one to the first two of this season

fallenangelii

[38]May 24, 2006
    • level: 8
    It was a good series finale. I expected Jack to die, but I didn't expect him to die in that way. Irina's appearance seemed forced. She was suddenly thrown in there and died within a few minutes of appearing (though I'd like to think that she had the time to injects the fluid (or it broke and somehow melded with her through her wounds).

Isabel and the puzzle I see coming a mile in advance. The question was just whether Sydney or Vaughn was going to see her standing there with the finished puzzle or if she'd take it down. However, it's still out. I'm sure her parents will ask whether she was able to solve it.

Swedish television airs the show at really weird times, so I've only caught episodes 1-2 this season. I just got the series finale for the heck of it and am backtracking. Has it been mentioned before that the fluid makes you immortal and apparentely impervious (why didn't Irina injest the fluid as soon as she got it?!)? Sydney said Irina shot her fiancée, so has she appeared earlier in the season? Or they discovered that it was her who shot Vaughn?

jadednirvana

[39]May 24, 2006
    • level: 1

fallenangelii wrote:

Isabel and the puzzle I see coming a mile in advance. The question was just whether Sydney or Vaughn was going to see her standing there with the finished puzzle or if she'd take it down. However, it's still out. I'm sure her parents will ask whether she was able to solve it.

Actually Isabel knocked the puzzle down before anybody could see that she put it together. 

st1983

[40]May 24, 2006
    • level: 7
    I was a little disappointed with the finale, i was expecting more from it. I didn't mind seeing Jack and Irina die, and at first i was completely satisfied seeing Sloane killed, but then they brought him back, and i felt a little cheated. Yes, he's trapped for the rest of his eternal life in the tomb, but it's not as satisfying for me as it would have been if they left him dead. I was also hoping for a more complicated end fight between Sidney and Irina/Vaughn and Sark, knowing their characters, it just seemed like it was far to quick and easy. Although i did love the scene where Peyton was caught and how they got the information from her without having to torture her physically, so that pretty much redeemed the finale for me.