Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Making the List - Ranking every single Alias episode

cavanagh15

[1]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 35

I'm creating this thread to make the list of my favorite episodes from top to bottom. Feel free to just comment or play along yourself. Pink/Italics is Season 5, Green is Season 4, Blue/Italics is Season 3, Red is Season 2,Blackis Season 1. #'s out of order are rewatched episodes whose ratings have changed.

1. Phase One (10.0)

2. All The Time In The World (10.0)

3. Resurrection (10.0)

19. Truth Be Told (10.0), 9.7 original

4. Full Disclosure (10.0)

5. The Telling (10.0)

6. Breaking Point (10.0)

7. Façade (10.0)

8. Reprisal (9.9)

9. In Dreams... (9.9)

10. The Descent - 9.8

11. Search and Rescue - 9.8

12. Endgame - 9.8

13. Blood Ties - 9.8

57. So It Begins (9.7), 9.2 original

15. Mirage (9.7)

16. The Enemy Walks In (9.7)

17. The Getaway (9.7)

18. The Box: Part 2 (9.7)

20. Page 47 (9.6)

21. Echoes (9.6)

22. Blowback (9.6)

24. Almost Thirty Years (9.6)

53. Time Will Tell (9.6), 9.2 original

25. Reunion (9.6)

26. Bob (9.6)

42. Doppelganger (9.6), 9.4 original

27. The Abduction (9.6)

29. Another Mister Sloane (9.6)

56. A Broken Heart (9.5), 9.2 original

28. Parity (9.5), 9.6 original

30. Dead Drop (9.5)

31. A Missing Link (9.5)

32. Passage - Part 2 (9.5)

33. Tuesday (9.5)

34. Cipher (9.5)

35. Hourglass (9.5)

36. Détente (9.5)

37. The Orphan (9.5)

38. Fait Accompli (9.5)

39. The Two (9.4)

40. Truth Takes Time (9.4)

41. A Man Of His Word (9.4)

76. Mea Culpa (9.4), 8.9 original

43. Maternal Instinct (9.4)

44. Prophet Five (9.4)

45. Repercussions (9.3)

46. 30 Seconds (9.3)

47. A Dark Turn (9.3)

23. Spirit (9.3), 9.6 original

49. Double Agent (9.3)

14. The Coup - (9.3), 9.8 original

50. The Indicator (9.2)

51. Salvation (9.2)

52. Trust Me (9.2)

54. The Index (9.2)

64. The Box: Part 1 (9.2), 9.1 original

55. Taken (9.2)

58. ...1... (9.2)

59. Succession (9.2)

60. The Counteragent (9.1)

61. Rendezvous (9.1)

62. Remnants (9.1)

48. The Confession (9.1), 9.3 original

63. The Shed (9.1)

65. There's Only One Sydney Bristow (9.0)

66. A Clean Conscience (9.0)

67. Second Double (9.0)

68. The Nemesis (9.0)

69. Snowman (9.0)

70. Color-Blind (9.0)

71. The Frame (9.0)

72. Welcome To Liberty Village (9.0)

73. I See Dead People (8.9)

74. The Awful Truth (8.9)

75. Countdown (8.9)

77. Crossings 8.8

79. Legacy (8.7)

80. Mockingbird (8.7)

81. The Solution (8.6)

82. After Six (8.6)

78. Reckoning (8.6), 8.7 original

83. Masquerade (8.6)

84. Solo (8.6)

85. Prelude (8.5)

86. Unveiled (8.5)

87. Nightingale (8.5)

88. No Hard Feelings (8.4)

89. Authorized Personnel Only - Part 2 (8.4)

90. Authorized Personnel Only - Part 1 (8.4)

91. A Higher Echelon (8.3)

92. A Free Agent (8.2)

93. Passage - Part 1 (8.2)

94. Q+A (8.2)

95. The Horizon (8.1)

96. Conscious (8.0)

97. S.O.S. (8.0)

98. Pandora (7.9)

99. Before The Flood (7.7)

100. Firebomb (7.5)

101. Out Of The Box (7.2)

102. The Prophecy (7.0)

103. The Road Home (6.7)

104. Nocturne (6.5)

105. Ice (6.0)

AVERAGES PER SEASON

Season 3 - 9.24

Season 2 - 9.19

Season 1 - 9.10 (Rewatch, 131.5 Through 14, 9.39)

Season 5 - 8.96

Season 4 - 8.75

Edited on 05/20/2008 11:16pm
    Edited 93 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PabloExobar

[2]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 18

Damn me. Well I didn't watch Alias until 4 months ago when I got the dvd's and watched all of the 5 seasons within a few weeks. There was one day when I watched 12 episodes. I think of season 2.

So I really don't remember, only certain episodes.. however, I'm rewatching now, only 2 episodes a day, I'm at 2x08 now, so I think I'll start reviewing the episodes.

One's for sure. My top 2 is

1. The Telling

2. Phase One

The 3rd one is probably S4 finale(Before the Flood), and the 4th is the series finale(All the Time in the World)... I'm going to think about this, and going to start a list.

One thing I remember though, the seasons.

1. Season1 - Most consistent. There was only one episode(Masquerade) which I didn't like. The rest? Wow. Although, there were no "high points". This season of Alias was similiar to Lost season 1. Consistent, no low or high points. Score: 9.6

2. Season2 - Has the 2 best episodes of the series... but unfortunately I didn't find it as consistent as S1. After Phase One, there were 3-4 episodes which were quite dull and slow moving. But it had alot of high points, which made it almost better than S1. Score: 9.5

3. Season3 - Slow start, but steady. Amazing middle part, amazing. Lots of mythology, unpredictable action, twists, suspense... but then, the sucky finale ruined it. To me, the finale of S3 should have been the 19th episode, "Hourglass". Score: 9.0

4. Season5 - Sucky start. Great middle part, mostly mythology. But the ending... now we're talking. Amazing endgame, the writers(without JJ!) pulled it together amazingly well. Too bad for the shortened season... Score: 8.9

5. Season4 - The premiere was good. But then, up until episode 5-6... what a piece of crap. Seriously. The middle part got better, in fact, it contains one of the weirdest plot twists I've ever seen(no spoilers of course). The ending? OH MY GOD. The finale almost surpassed The Telling... only thing is, season 4 was generally the worst written season, with some really bad dialouge(shows in the finale best, although it was meant to be two hour, and then was cut to one). If you get to season 4, you'll see how damn different it is. Sometimes I forgot I was watching Alias... Score: 8.0

Best premiere: SEASON 1

Best finale: SEASON 2

Worst premiere: SEASON 5

Worst finale: SEASON 3

Edited on 08/02/2007 2:11pm

cavanagh15

[3]Aug 8, 2007
    Jyst bumping it up. Now Ive got the artifact box so Im thinking my list will fill up quickly as I beign to watch more and more. Wondering if anyone wants to join. Any little list is cool, all the episodes is just me being crazy. xDDD

lizanator112890

[4]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 7
    i bought EVERY SINGLE ONE of Alias. i am sooo addicted to that show it is crazy! i literally started to cry when the show ended. i loved ever episode. i didnt care for season 5 that much though, the show just wasnt the same... but it ended with a good note

cavanagh15

[5]Aug 12, 2007
    Updated until 4x04
    Edited on 08/15/2007 6:42pm
    Edited 3 total times.

PabloExobar

[6]Aug 15, 2007
    can't say I'm surprised how low season 4 (so far)is rated on your list. it's standalone episode nature is very annoying especially in the beginning, damn ABC. but it gets better... and eventually the real plot of season 4 will kick off, and it won't disappointed. season 4's endgame was **** amazing.

cavanagh15

[7]Aug 16, 2007

I liked the standalone episode of Détente but I think it really was just that scene where everyone is listening in as Sydney lays into Arvin and the kind of person that he is. I think the "10" might be a little high, but I was on a serious need to see a good Alais episode and it had been a while.

I just wasnt seeing the reason for the season 3's bad finale rating, I rated it well above "The Telling". If you have time, feel free to go and read my review on it on the episode guide. I wrote 400-500 words because I know not a whole lot of people thought it was good. Either way - 35 more episodes to go. Cant wait for season 4 to get that storyarch. xDD

tennisrobe26

[8]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 22
    I thought season 4 was actually one of the best. actually they were all good.

cavanagh15

[9]Aug 17, 2007
    Season 4 (through 14) is garbage. Standalone episodes were horrible and even though the middle part has somewhat of a theme - there still is something missing. No SD-6, No CIA, No Season 3's "What happened?" mystery. Season 4 lacks...a story.

PabloExobar

[10]Aug 18, 2007

I wouldn't say garbage, while it's by far the worst Alias season, and really below the standards of Alias, it's still enjoyable, for the most, anyway.

The three low points of S4 to me:

(in order)

1. Nocturne - Bloody useless episode, with a RIDICILIOUS story. I dont buy this vampire stuff, sorry.

2. The Road Home - Made no sense at all, the whole episode was like... written by 2 teams who didn't consult with eachother: a lethal toy helicopter? What was Jack up to? No idea. It was horrendously balanced, written, directed, and yes, becuase of how bad the script was, the acting wasn't top notch either...

3. Ice - Bizarre, but bad. That's all I have to say.

High points, the last 4 episodes, "Before The Flood" was an amazing finale. "In Dreams" was directed by Jennifer Garner, by the way. And oh, it was such a good episode.

I also loved Another Mister Sloane, and my favourite twist of season 4 was Arvin Cloane.

It lacked an overall plot for many episodes, but the truth is, in every episode, even the most horrendous ones, there was a little bit of character advancement, which is why, afterall, Alias is so watchable.

JJ admitted it ages ago, he hated season 3, and he definitely disliked season 4 -- his perfect Alias would've been season 1,2,5.

S4 is a clear mis-step, but it was mostly because of ABC.

cavanagh15

[11]Aug 18, 2007

Really? I loved Season 3 - personally.

Season 4 was garbage in the beginning, but I will admit it has gotten better. I think its going to finsih with an average rating of about an 8.8 or so. The last 4 episodes Ive watched (Mirage, In dreams, Decent, Search and Rescue) were all AMAZING. And with the way people talk about the finale, I think it will be 5 + episodes with 9.7 or higher ratings.

Season 4 was not garbage, I take it back. The first half of season 4 is garbage, once it passed the halfway point I felt like I was watching Alias again.

EDIT: "Before the Flood" was horrible.

Edited on 08/18/2007 11:53pm

PabloExobar

[12]Aug 19, 2007

im currently rewatching season 3, and the thing is, it's really awesome. i don't know what exactly my problem was with it when i first watched, because currently, it's shaping up to be my favourite season. really consistent, lots of plot to back up the character development, no standalone episodes at all... alias at its best. although,JJ had all the reasons to hate it... once you finish the series i or someone else will tell you. for now, let's just say, some things didn't play out as he wanted.

i read your review of s4 finale, and i agree with basically all points, but i still would rate it 9+. i hated the way s4 was over the top at times... ice, nocturne, etc.. but in the finale, since it was given some explaination, i could go along with it.

the thing about s4 finale is, once again, was manipulated by abc. it was originally meant to be a 2 hour feature. but it got cut down to one, so the writing suffered... for example, when Nadia is attacked. it was later said, in the episode, that she "can' t be killed by them", but for sure, it didn't make any sense... why jump on her at the first place?

but the excitement, and the suspense that was going on really made me forget these errors, and the cliffhanger was the icing on the cake.

i read your review of s5e1, and i'm really surprised. i kinda hated that episode, i believe it was horribly written. the first part of it was slow, and it felt like watching s1 all over again, just in a different situation.

and then, the second part... cruel. thats what i've to say. Vaughn gets shot 5-6 times. he doesn't die... for a good amount of time. then he suddenly passes out. oh, the horror. and the ending was completetly rubbish. i know it had to be done, because of Garner's pregnancy, but... well, I hate it when they jump ahead so much time -except for the cliffhanger of s2, of course.

cavanagh15

[13]Aug 19, 2007

Alias at its best. although,JJ had all the reasons to hate it... once you finish the series i or someone else will tell you. for now, let's just say, some things didn't play out as he wanted.

Once I finish Ill def ask you what you mean by this.

"Prophet Five" was an interesting episode. I guess after S4 I was just happy to see some long-term story arch begin to devolop. I liked the ending of skipping ahead four months in time, so we get less of Sydney crying and all that. I know the only reason they did that was for pregnancy reasons, but still....I dont know. I still am not a huge fan of building up Sydney and Vaughn for 4 seasons, only to have everything crash and explode once they finnaly get engaged. I might have rated it too high, but I guess it all depends on how well the story turns out for me...

PabloExobar

[14]Aug 19, 2007

Well, I really can't wait what your opinion will be on season 5 as a whole. The first half of the season is "great", but the second half is... awesome.

It's established that alot of people hated the first half of season 5. Mainly for bringing new characters in... and for "reusing" plot threads. But I really don't get this. New characters are essential. And, they were insurence for a possible season 6, and there was also a rumour going on that Jennifer Garner might quit, so...

The only problem I had with s5 was the premiere, and Reneé's character... until she was developed.

So, it's as good as the first 3 seasons, i believe.

cavanagh15

[15]Aug 19, 2007

I wasn't feeling Tom when I first saw him, but after the last one Im warming up to him. I didnt have any issues with any of the other "new characters". People just hated because the newbies could never stand up to Weiss + Vaughn, no one could have played the role of Rachel/Tom/Renee/Dean to make anyonehappy...I might be a rare one who actually likes the first half of five, though my ratings are gradually slipping by each passing episode.

9.4 > 9.2 > 9.1 > 8.8 through the first four. Obv I know this will turn around, you and I seem like we agree on most aspects of the show with minor differences.

PabloExobar

[16]Aug 20, 2007
    well, unlike you i loved The Horizon and S.O.S, but that's understandable if you didn't. however, the last 7 episodes are "all that". imho.

cavanagh15

[17]Aug 21, 2007
    Finished. What were those loose strings in S3 that were never tied up that JJ talked about?

PabloExobar

[18]Aug 21, 2007
    One of the main reasons he openly criticized the season was the Sydney's egg storyline. It was never really explained... they wanted to bring it back in season 4, but because of the standalone episodes, it wasn't possible. Ironically, in season 5 it was brought back, but never really explained...

Secondly, he disliked that the 2 year missing plot thread was dragged out, and there were no real clues given for hardcore fans. And then, in the end, the explaination was somewhat anticlimatic, with Kendall simply telling Sydney how everything happened.

Thirdly, Jeff Pinkner's original version of the finale was terrible according to JJ Abrams, so he reshot some scenes, but still, he wasn't really happy with the outcome. The cliffhanger's meaning would've been something else. Originally it would had to do something with Project Christmas and it still being active.

Also, Lena Olin(Irina Derevko) was unavailable because of family issues. It was also a huge setback in the storytelling. And finally, Bradley Cooper(Will) didn't want to do Alias anymore, because he was unhappy with his character. His decision was to quit, and it was mostly inspired by the internet fans, who openly criticzed Will Tippin for NOT realizing that the woman he's dating is not Francie.

Season 4... basically, all of the ideas the writers had had to be erased, because of ABC. Again, JJ didn't like the premiere, he didn't like the standalone episodes, he was unhappy with the finale...in fact, he was unhappy with everything that had to do with the 4th season... they had to drop Rambaldi for a good amount of time, had to downgrade some characters... etc. The reason they brought back Helix in season 4, was to undo Irina's death, because apparently, the actress was available again.

benboy606

[19]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 7

I don't see why J.J Abrams would be mad about Season 3/4. I mean, sure, he may dislike him, but he barely wrote/directed any of it, except the premieres. He could've written more for it, and helped out more, like how he wrote six or so episodes in Season 1.

My list is done, but I just finished a rewatch of Season 4 and 5, so I might be a bit biased towards them. I need to do a full rewatch to get the right ratings. I'm a bit...nice here, for a lot of episodes. Almost half the episodes are 9-10's, so I'm being really nice, and maybe a bit too harsh on some. But, here it is. I'll do the color coding thing like you guys did! So...

Pink - Season 5

Green - Season 4

Blue - Season 3

Red - Season 2

Orange - Season 1

1. Phase One (10)
    2. The Telling (10)
    3. All The Time In The World (2) (10)
    4. Before The Flood (10)
    5. Almost Thirty Years (10)
    6. Truth Be Told (10)
    7. Truth Takes Time (10)
    8. Maternal Instinct (10)
    9. There's Only One Sydney Bristow (10)
    10. Rendezvous (10)
    11. The Box Part 2 (10)
    12. Reprisal (10)
    13. Prelude (10)
    14. Full Disclosure (10)
    15. Search and Rescue (10)
    16. Endgame (10)
    17. A Dark Turn (10)
    18. 30 Seconds (10)
    19. Tuesday (10)
    20. In Dreams… (10)
    21. I See Dead People (10)
    22. Hourglass (10)
    23. Another Mister Sloane (10)
    24. Passage Part 2 (10)
    25. Welcome To Liberty Village (9.5)
    26. The Box Part 1 (9.5)
    27. The Horizon (9.5)
    28. Echoes (9.5)
    29. S.O.S (9.5)
    30. Façade (9.5)
    31. Blowback (9.5)
    32. The Nemesis (9.5)
    33. The Descent (9.5)
    34. No Hard Feelings (9.5)
    35. Color-Blind (9.5)
    36. A Higher Echelon (9.5)
    37. Double Agent (9.5)
    38. Firebomb (9.5)
    39. Authorized Personnel Only Part 1 (9.5)
    40. Authorized Personnel Only Part 2 (9.5)
    41. Snowman (9.5)
    42. The Solution (9.5)
    43. A Man of His Word (9.5)
    44. Remnants (9.5)
    45. Fait Accompli (9.5)
    46. Q&A (9.5)
    47. Time Will Tell (9.5)
    48. The Enemy Walks In (9.5)
    49. Dead Drop (9.5)
    50. The Indicator (9.5)
    51. The Index (9.5)
    52. Pandora (9.5)
    53. Solo (9.5)
    54. Nightingale (9.5)
    55. The Prophecy (9)
    56. Mirage (9)
    57. Mea Culpa (9)
    58. Conscious (9)
    59. Page 47 (9)
    60. The Two (9)
    61. The Shed (9)
    62. A Second Double (9)
    63. A Free Agent (9)
    64. The Abduction (9)
    65. The Getaway (9)
    66. The Orphan (9)
    67. The Awful Truth (9)
    68. Ice (9)
    69. Countdown ( 8.5 )
    70. Passage Part 1 ( 8.5 )
    71. Bob ( 8.5 )
    72. Spirit ( 8.5 )
    73. Blood Ties ( 8.5 )
    74. Taken ( 8.5 )
    75. The Confession ( 8.5 )
    76. Trust Me ( 8.5 )
    77. Out of the Box ( 8.5 )
    78. A Missing Link ( 8.5 )
    79. Reckoning ( 8.5 )
    80. Breaking Point ( 8 )
    81. Legacy ( 8 )
    82. The Coup ( 8 )
    83. The Counteragent ( 8 )
    84. The Frame ( 8 )
    85. The Road Home (8 )
    86. So It Begins ( 8 )
    87. Unveiled ( 8 )
    88. Resurrection( 8 )
    89. Parity ( 8 )
    90. Prophet Five ( 8 )
    91. Doppelganger ( 8 )
    92. Cipher ( 8 )
    93. Salvation ( 8 )
    94. Nocturne ( 8 )
    95. A Clean Conscience (7.5)
    96. A Broken Heart (7.5)
    97. Succession (7.5)
    98. Repercussions (7.5)
    99. Reunion (7.5)
    100. Détente (7.5)
    101. Masquerade (7.5)
    102. After Six (7)
    103. Mockingbird (7)
    104. Crossings (7)
    105. …1… (7)

Edited on 04/24/2008 11:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

cavanagh15

[20]May 18, 2008
    Surprised Season Four is so high, mainly episodes like "Ice" and "The Awful Truth". Lots of S3 epsiodes on the bottom as well, I thought it was the best season.