Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Spooks

joshjr

[1]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 12
    There is another show that is suposed to be similiar to Alias. It has 2 different names. On here it is called Spooks but its really called MI-5. I have not read that much about it but enough to see its similiar. It is still in production but I need to catch up on all the seasons so far before I start it. If anyone has seen it on the BBC channel let me know what you think. If you want to check it out on this site then look up Spooks and not MI-5.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

purplepansy

[2]Oct 31, 2007
    ive seen an episode of spooks and its got nothing on Alias! Alias will always be the best

boombye

[3]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    Well MI-5 is more grounded in reality than say Alias was with it's Rambaldi stuff and the other cool storylines.

pjhasham

[4]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 17
    Spooks is more of an ensemble piece, it's rarely outside of England, and its style of violence is closer to 24 than Alias, as is its camerawork, editing and soundtrack. I like watching Alias better but I still think Spooks is better written and produced.
    Edited on 11/06/2007 8:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

joshjr

[5]Nov 13, 2007
    Well I plan on trying it out on Netflix as soon as I finish Alias. I am in season 4 right now.

Page_47

[6]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    pjhasham wrote:
    Spooks is more of an ensemble piece, it's rarely outside of England, and its style of violence is closer to 24 than Alias, as is its camerawork, editing and soundtrack. I like watching Alias better but I still think Spooks is better written and produced.

Yeah it's much more like 24. I don't really like it because its just so clearly another TV show, whilst Alias was often compared to an experience like watching 105 movies. Spooks isn't anything like that good.

YET555

[7]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    it was a replacement for 24, the BBC got out bid for s2 rights by sky or let it go to make there own spooks

Kadodian

[8]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 23
    It's ok

korel4021

[9]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 3

"it was a replacement for 24, the BBC got out bid for s2 rights by sky or let it go to make there own spooks"

Series 2 of 24 was on the BBC the did'nt even bother bidding for series 3 because no one was whatching it on terrestrial television. the saem reason channel 4 stopped buying lost, was'nt worth they're money.

Spooks was named MI-5 when shown in america and is a far more realistic interpritation of how security services run opperations and deal with threats. obviously still taking liberties for TV audiences, and when characters die in it, they stay dead.

Alias was exelent for the first 2/3 seasons then just disintegrated into a pile of Sheeite with everyone dieing and being brought back and being betrayed, then becoming good. it was dragged out to make more money in much the same way lost is just now.

aims80

[10]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    I really quite liked "Spooks." It was one of my favourite English shows along with "Blackadder", "Fawlty Towers" and, more recently "Judge John Deed."

vicky24c

[11]May 10, 2008
    • level: 24

I've watched nearly all of the season os Spooks, and I must admit that there are some things similar between it and Alias.

Its set in England and follows the lives of MI-5 and MI-6 spies. They also cant tell anyone that they are spies so in that way they are similar. But i find that Alias is much faster paced and has better acting in it. I only watch Spooks to pass the time really. All in all Alias is much better, but check out Spooks, because season 1 is quite good.

Kalara

[12]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 5
    I love Spooks. It is well-plotted, and usually manages to surprise me - which few American shows do. I enjoy the characters, and the fact that no one is safe - at any moment any of them can be written out of the show. It makes for more suspense and real drama.

KingofIPirates

[13]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 32
    Caught a few episodes and I have to say they were pretty good, though I still find Alias to be quite a bit better.