Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

What prophecies were fulfilled and how?

cyyto_degaunt

[1]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 5

So I finally finished the entire series. I don't know if The Prophecy was fulfilled or not.

Sydney was supposed to stop "the greatest power" right? She shot and killed Arvin before he became immortal. Then she indirectly killed her mom who never became immortal.

And then the two sisters battling thing....I don't get it. I just knew that a Rabid Nadia was going to attempt to kill Sydney, forcing her to kill her infected sister, but instead Arvin kills her.

So, I'm hoping for a movie. I think The Prophecy still needs to be fulfilled. I'm thinking Arvin somehow escapes the tomb and becomes all-powerful and Sydney has to stop him.

Maybe you can fill me in on the prophecy stuff. I'd appreciate a list of every prophecy mentioned in the series, and then what even you think fulfilled it. And don't say, "You don't seriously believe this stuff, do you?"

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

myopics

[2]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    Sydney stopped the greatest power in the season 4 finale when she stopped Elena's apocalyptic plan. The "only of will survive" part never really panned out. Though she was shot by Sloane on the night the events were supposed to play out before she could kill Sydney, Nadia still survived and only died a fair bit later into the series.

Page_47

[3]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    OK, let's do this :

There are two prophecies. The "This woman here depicted...will bring the greatest power onto utter desolation" one, and later the "When blood-red horses roam the streets and angels fall from the sky, the chosen one and the passenger will clash, and only one will survive". They are both wrapped up in season 5. It makes sense that they weren't more fully wrapped up before then, as they may have gone on longer than that if they hadn't been canceled in season 5, and they may have wanted to draw the prophecies out a bit longer.

"When blood red horses..." - when Elena creates the huge Ramabaldi ball, she makes the horses look blood red. The destruction causes stone angels to fall from tall buildings. The Rambaldi ball is also the source of Nadia's motive to "clash" with Sydney, as it makes her ker-azy with the help of some local water. They do "clash", and the Rambaldi symbol shows that they fight over a large round thing, which is the Meuller device/Rambaldi ball.

Whilst it's not resolved on the night (JJ Abrams actually says that they were going to kill Nadia, but that the thought of it was just too depressing), only one does technically "survive", as Nadia is still killed by Sloane in 5.13, '30 Seconds'. The prophecy doesn't necessarily say that one will die as a direct result of the "clash".

"This woman here depicted..." was Sydney. Not Irina, not Nadia, not Anna. Apart from Irina telling Sydney that in season 4, the producers and JJ have stated that as a fact in the little book of secrets that comes with the seasons 1-5 DVD. So, Sydney was the one who "will possess unseen marks, signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works", as she does so in virtually every mission she goes on in the series, either getting artifacts for the CIA or SD-6 or indirectly for her mother. Now, we all know Sydney was an angry gal, as she goes on these missions to 'bring down' SD-6, or Prophet 5 etc, so you could say that she bound Rambaldi's work "with her fury". "Unless prevented, at vulgar cost" - probably just being killed - "this woman will bring the greatest power unto utter desolation". 'Desolation' means destruction OR abandonment.

The important thing to register is that Sydney did NOT bring the greatest power unto utter desolation when she destroyed Elena's Rambaldi ball at the end of season 4. Irina told her that she did because she was deceptive, and probably wanted to let her daughter feel proud and give her some closure. Elena's device was NOT the endgame or Rambaldi's plans. It was a perversion of Rambaldi's plans, in order to achieve world domination.

When Sydney's actions result in Irina and Sloane's deaths, she brings the "greatest power" - that is, 'The Horizon' - unto utter desolation: in the case of Irina, the greatest power is destroyed, in the case of Sloane, it is abandoned, and he becomes 'desolate', and is left alone even by the vision of his daughter.

And the prophesy also says that if Sydney had seen "MY sky before Mt. Subasio", maybe she wouldn't have dunnit, presumably because she would have been so mesmerised by it all like Sloane or something. Anyway, Sloane shoots her so she doesn't see the sky, which is ultimately his demise, as it causes her to go after him, and bring him and his precious eternal life unto "utter desolation". See?

The only problem with the season 5 finale, Rambaldi-wise, is that this isn't really clear enough. You're forced to think it all out by yourself. And you may even find alternate interpretations of the prophecies. It would have helped if they had had a little more time for exposition in the finale, but never mind. It was still a great end to a great show

Hope that helps! If there's anything I missed.... I can't really be bothered

myopics

[4]Nov 8, 2008
    • level: 12
    I don't really think Nadia's eventual death was planned as part of the prophecy. Her death only came much time after her showdown with Sydney. Though the events of that night indirectly led to her demise, they no more caused her death than any of the other circumstances that led to her becoming a spy or reuniting with Sydney/Sloane, etc...

Page_47

[5]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 11
    myopics wrote:
    I don't really think Nadia's eventual death was planned as part of the prophecy. Her death only came much time after her showdown with Sydney. Though the events of that night indirectly led to her demise, they no more caused her death than any of the other circumstances that led to her becoming a spy or reuniting with Sydney/Sloane, etc...

That's true, but she could have killed Sydney on the rooftop and escaped if Sloane hadn't shot her, which is was led to the coma, which led to him having to pursue Rambaldi again, which led to her death. It was the rooftop showdown that ultimately put the chain of events in motion, IMO. But it was arguably quite obliquely plotted...

martymcflyjb

[6]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 10

Thanks for the analysis. I hadn't really thought about it quite that in depth.

I love Alias and it's one of my all-time favorites, but I feel it's tarnished a little by ABC's influence as far as changes to the style and plot later on. I think they wrapped it up well, but it could have been better. Of course we would have had NO ending at all without these concessions, as they would have cancelled it.

Edited on 12/06/2008 7:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

seto1

[7]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    Thanks for the info guys bdw how many of you all think there should be a movie to tie up loose ends

buffyjl

[8]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 20

Page_47 wrote:
    OK, let's do this : There are two prophecies. The "This woman here depicted...will bring the greatest power onto utter desolation" one, and later the "When blood-red horses roam the streets and angels fall from the sky, the chosen one and the passenger will clash, and only one will survive". They are both wrapped up in season 5. It makes sense that they weren't more fully wrapped up before then, as they may have gone on longer than that if they hadn't been canceled in season 5, and they may have wanted to draw the prophecies out a bit longer. "When blood red horses..." - when Elena creates the huge Ramabaldi ball, she makes the horses look blood red. The destruction causes stone angels to fall from tall buildings. The Rambaldi ball is also the source of Nadia's motive to "clash" with Sydney, as it makes her ker-azy with the help of some local water. They do "clash", and the Rambaldi symbol shows that they fight over a large round thing, which is the Meuller device/Rambaldi ball. Whilst it's not resolved on the night (JJ Abrams actually says that they were going to kill Nadia, but that the thought of it was just too depressing), only one does technically "survive", as Nadia is still killed by Sloane in 5.13, '30 Seconds'. The prophecy doesn't necessarily say that one will die as a direct result of the "clash". "This woman here depicted..." was Sydney. Not Irina, not Nadia, not Anna. Apart from Irina telling Sydney that in season 4, the producers and JJ have stated that as a fact in the little book of secrets that comes with the seasons 1-5 DVD. So, Sydney was the one who "will possess unseen marks, signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works", as she does so in virtually every mission she goes on in the series, either getting artifacts for the CIA or SD-6 or indirectly for her mother. Now, we all know Sydney was an angry gal, as she goes on these missions to 'bring down' SD-6, or Prophet 5 etc, so you could say that she bound Rambaldi's work "with her fury". "Unless prevented, at vulgar cost" - probably just being killed - "this woman will bring the greatest power unto utter desolation". 'Desolation' means destruction OR abandonment. The important thing to register is that Sydney did NOT bring the greatest power unto utter desolation when she destroyed Elena's Rambaldi ball at the end of season 4. Irina told her that she did because she was deceptive, and probably wanted to let her daughter feel proud and give her some closure. Elena's device was NOT the endgame or Rambaldi's plans. It was a perversion of Rambaldi's plans, in order to achieve world domination. When Sydney's actions result in Irina and Sloane's deaths, she brings the "greatest power" - that is, 'The Horizon' - unto utter desolation: in the case of Irina, the greatest power is destroyed, in the case of Sloane, it is abandoned, and he becomes 'desolate', and is left alone even by the vision of his daughter. And the prophesy also says that if Sydney had seen "MY sky before Mt. Subasio", maybe she wouldn't have dunnit, presumably because she would have been so mesmerised by it all like Sloane or something. Anyway, Sloane shoots her so she doesn't see the sky, which is ultimately his demise, as it causes her to go after him, and bring him and his precious eternal life unto "utter desolation". See? The only problem with the season 5 finale, Rambaldi-wise, is that this isn't really clear enough. You're forced to think it all out by yourself. And you may even find alternate interpretations of the prophecies. It would have helped if they had had a little more time for exposition in the finale, but never mind. It was still a great end to a great show Hope that helps! If there's anything I missed.... I can't really be bothered

Wow! Fantastic analysis!

Very well done, monsieur!

fosterdid

[9]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 1

Page_47, you have very similar analysis of the ending as I have. The one thing I'm unclear about in your analysis is the mt.subasio thing...she DOES se the sky by mt.subasio. She supposedly 'disproves' the entire prophecy and defies fate to some degree. sooo...?

SeerMagicX

[10]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 16

I don't see how people have such a hard time seeing it

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

check

"Bind them with fury, a burning anger"

check

"unless prevented at vulgar cost"

check, sloan couldn't do it

"this woman will render the greatest power unto utter desolation."

immortality, desolation, check.

whats so hard to understand about it.