Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

When do you think alias started going down hill?

jxsilicon9

[1]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    I would say after season 3. The repetitive storylines/plots.Also storylines that were stupid such as Sloane having a daughter with Irina Derevko. Characters that shouldn't have been added(Nadia).The whole Sloane back and forth evil crap. I watched this show from the beginning. But mid-way through season 4.Watching a full episode became difficult. Whether you're a fan or not. You have to admit to the crap that finally put the nail in the coffin.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

reeppi

[2]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 5
    I'd say never. Maybe there has been a few little downhilss but not any conitinious downhill from point a to the very end.And in the very beginnig of th eshow they suggested that maybe Sydney might be Arvin's daughter and not Jack's. So It wasn't any surprise or just a guick desicion to give Sloane and Irina a daughter.
    Edited on 09/17/2006 8:11am

archangelcory16

[3]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 32
    I think Sloane having a daughter was not a bad idea at all. They hinted at that in season one even, because Sloane thought Syd was his daughter...all he knew was that he had messed around with Irina. Anyway, I never thought about that. The show was amazing from start to finish, and it never bored me. So for me, it never really went downhill.

jxsilicon9

[4]Sep 17, 2006
    reeppi wrote:
    I'd say never. Maybe there has been a few little downhilss but not any conitinious downhill from point a to the very end.And in the very beginnig of th eshow they suggested that maybe Sydney might be Arvin's daughter and not Jack's. So It wasn't any surprise or just a guick desicion to give Sloane and Irina a daughter.

I never said it was a quick decision. But a bad one. We already had his wife to give him that push towards being more good.Having him going back and forth evil to good was pointless. Adding Nadia was pointless and she contributed nothing.And then adding her into the rambaldi storyline. The show became lets see how much shock value we can achieve around season 3. Then from 4 to 5 the show was on a downhill slide.

reeppi

[5]Sep 17, 2006
    I think Nadia also evolved Sydney's charecter. And especially Jack's. With Nadia there everyday Jack was forced to face his demons about Irina for good. And so he did and atleast I like to think that Jack really forgave Irina, and he wouldn't have done it without Nadia. With Nadia we were always able to see more of Irina's sisters. With Nadia we got a sneek peek what life is for Weiss outside work, that was fun. And also we got some nice family moments and just hanging out stuff opposite to always being at work. So I think Nadia was needed and she did a lot of good stuff.

jxsilicon9

[6]Sep 18, 2006
    reeppi wrote:
    I think Nadia also evolved Sydney's charecter. And especially Jack's. With Nadia there everyday Jack was forced to face his demons about Irina for good. And so he did and atleast I like to think that Jack really forgave Irina, and he wouldn't have done it without Nadia. With Nadia we were always able to see more of Irina's sisters. With Nadia we got a sneek peek what life is for Weiss outside work, that was fun. And also we got some nice family moments and just hanging out stuff opposite to always being at work. So I think Nadia was needed and she did a lot of good stuff.

I have to disagree. She wasn't needed.All that stuff would have happened without her. And they could have showed Weiss outside work without her. Plus those were boring anyway.

NikeDragon

[7]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 14
    I can't be a matter of season 4. The rating went down even earlier, I mean they didn't release season 4 and 5 in Germany and still they haven't not even on dvd. So it must have been like somewhat earlier than season 4.

BTW I like Nadia...

jxsilicon9

[8]Sep 18, 2006
    NikeDragon wrote:
    I can't be a matter of season 4. The rating went down even earlier, I mean they didn't release season 4 and 5 in Germany and still they haven't not even on dvd. So it must have been like somewhat earlier than season 4.

BTW I like Nadia...

Yea the ratings did go down. But I'm talking about when I couldn't watch anymore episodes. Season 4 was Alias highest tv ratings. But that was because the show was after lost. The ratings fell so low season 5 that people are lucky abc decided to finish the season.

OrsonWright

[9]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 19
    For me, it started to go slightly downhill at "Phase One". I didn't find it very satisfying when Sydney and Vaughn finally kissed, and I was enjoying Season 2 tremendously until that point.

The rest of Season 2 remained high with the shockwaves of Francie being killed and replaced with a double, but it didn't sustain into the Season 3, at which point the show went steadily downhill.

I continued to watch, and there were a few good episodes here and there, but I think the show did get its stride back temporarily near the end of Season 4 when Irina returned, and it returned to its former glory for good with "S.O.S."/"Maternal Instinct" leading up to the finale (the finale itself was disappointing, though).
    Edited on 09/19/2006 8:15pm

Lina___Inverse

[10]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    I don't think anyone will argue with me that Season 3 was worse than two. So it started to decline there, but season 3 was still interesting, especially since they answered the questions that the season 2 finale presented about Vaughn's wedding ring and where Syd was for the last two years. After the ep with Terry O'quinn showing her the tape was when it really degraded, and pretty quickly too. I tuned in because of the Rambaldi storyline and was disappointed that it wasn't adequately dealt with. It was like "The Best of Both Worlds" part two for any other Trekkies out there.

dashm

[11]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    Lina___Inverse wrote:
    I don't think anyone will argue with me that Season 3 was worse than two. So it started to decline there, but season 3 was still interesting

This is how I feel. The first two seasons were in a class by themselves, but everything was still watchable and enjoyable. And when Drew Goddard wrote the scripts (like for Welcome to Liberty Village) even great. Generally they bogged down in the middle of each season and finished with a bang.

The one really false move to me was killing Vaughan at the start of season 5. Sydney had no one to talk to for the most of the season.

But it rarely got to the point of unwatchability, but perhaps I just had too much emotion invested in the characters.

angelspinknose

[12]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 16
    I would say Alias went down hill right after the episode Full Disclosure in season 3.   I have to agree with the person who posted that the true downslide of the show was when new people were added on.  Especially season 5 when Jennifer Garner was pregnant.  That blond woman, Rachel, is a bad actress and the guy who played Tom Grace was just boring.  Season 5 did nothing but rehash the SD-6 days.  You could tell the writers just ran out of stories.

Maries08

[13]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    I also think Alias started going downhill after season 3. I mean, it was a bit far fetched that she 'disappeared' for two years at the endo of season 2, but at least it left me wanting more! But season 4 really tired me and I actually stopped watching it completely. Here, in Argentina, they are currently showing season 5, and I've seen a few episodes, but its lost all credibility to me, sinse NO ONE stays dead EVER! Pity it became so predictible...

before_the_dawn

[14]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    I think Alias started to go downhill during season three for sure. I think it was simply because everything was continuing to build and move forward, and then season three happened and it felt like a huge roadblock that just severed my emotional tie to some of the characters. Clearly I still felt for Sydney, but that's because to her it was as if time hadn't passed (as it felt for us) so I could relate with her and what she was going through. However, I still feel that season three delivered a solid performance, and as the season progressed we did get some good stories told. But I felt the series had become more about shock value, and less about character growth and development. And it was a huge problem not having Lena Olin take part in the third season (which I know wasn't their fault, but still).

Then season four happened. What a disappointment! Though I will say right now, I still found the season to be entertaining and I did enjoy it as well, but it was nowhere near the calibre that the first two, and even the third, seasons were. They realized what lacked in season three - character development - and so decided to incorporate that into season four. It worked. But they in turn dropped the action and momentum of Alias that season three was filled with. They really should have taken what season three offered and combined it with the story development (and not have had stand alone episodes) and it may have been much better. Of course thanks to Lena Olin agreeing to reappear in the Alias-verse, this season cannot totally be overlooked as a negative one. Her reappearance made for some solid story telling and some great and memorable episodes that I will hold as some of Alias's greatest work.

Season five was actually, in my mind, a season that was closer to seasons 1 and 2. It started out with the first couple episodes being good, then there were the standard few that were lackluster, but then it started to really pick up with "Horizon", one of my all-time-favorite episodes. It literally ranks up there with Phase One for me. The events post-Horizon made for the best hours of Alias, and I definitely think season five holds up as a strong one in the Alias-verse! However, I admit that the series finale disappointed, but I would like to believe this was in part due to the fact that we had 5 episodes cut from us. If they had the extra time, I think the series may have gone out on a better note. But also, with that said, the series finale definitely was good, just not the kind of series finale a show like Alias deserved.

myopics

[15]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 12
    Definitely season three. All the episodes in season three were pretty much much consistently below average, but never excessively bad. I think the main problem is that the show lost its complexity after the downfall of SD-6. They had to resort to contrived and often cheesy plot developments to keep the show going. That's how the Rambaldi mythology really started to get lame and unrealistic and gimmicks like family members popping out left and right became pertinent. Season four had a fair mix of terrible, awesome and average episodes. But it wasn't until the beginning of season 5 where the epsodes became truely appalling. The trash talking between Peyton and Rachel when they face off for the first time was something straight out of a B-movie. Fights in the first two seasons were never like that, never! Even so, I love the show and stayed with it till the end. The second half of season 5 was a large improvement, and the finale was rewarding and appropriate.

Alias2001

[16]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 16
    I think ALIAS started getting bad ratings when ABC kept changing its timeslot. Then less people were able to watch it due to work and confusion of time.

BeastBoy87

[17]Oct 8, 2006
    I had no idea that show ever went down hill. Season one and two is where Alias was fresh and young. Season 3 is where the show started maturing, in my opinion. It dealt with the love triangle, sorta, among Vaughn, Sydney and Lauren. In Season 4 and 5 is where the show lived it's glory days. Then again, that's my opinion. 

BeastBoy87

[18]Oct 8, 2006
    Alias2001 wrote:
    I think ALIAS started getting bad ratings when ABC kept changing its timeslot. Then less people were able to watch it due to work and confusion of time.

Ditto

Page_47

[19]Oct 8, 2006
    • level: 11
    BeastBoy87 wrote:
    I had no idea that show ever went down hill. Season one and two is where Alias was fresh and young. Season 3 is where the show started maturing, in my opinion. It dealt with the love triangle, sorta, among Vaughn, Sydney and Lauren. In Season 4 and 5 is where the show lived it's glory days. Then again, that's my opinion. 

YES. Just YES.

Lol, that is pretty much EXACTLY how I feel too.

iheartjackbauer

[20]Oct 8, 2006
    • level: 2
    I would have to say when they stopped ending the episodes with cliffhangers and kind of made a shift to self-sustaining episodes.  I mean, i remember in season 1,2, and even some of 3...after watching i could hardly wait until next week.  Then in season 4, with each conflict, it was pretty much solved by the end of the episode and it always ended with sydney and vaughn.  Season 5 was pretty much the same way it seemed.