Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

When do you think alias started going down hill?

myosotis75

[21]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 1

:
    I would say after season 3. The repetitive storylines/plots.Also storylines that were stupid such as Sloane having a daughter with Irina Derevko. Characters that shouldn't have been added(Nadia).The whole Sloane back and forth evil crap. I watched this show from the beginning. But mid-way through season 4.Watching a full episode became difficult. Whether you're a fan or not. You have to admit to the crap that finally put the nail in the coffin.

I totally agree with you. First, the affair between Sloane and Irina was out of characher and unbelievable : it put Irina's cover as Laura at risk, and it made Sloane even more of an **** : he was a monster but he was a good husband, his love for Emily was his only redeeming feature, the affair destroyed that.

The affair was a sign, along with Vaughn's marriage to another woman within 2 years after Sydney's death that consistent character development didn't matter on Alias, and that all the characters were mere pawns for JJ and co to play with.

Nadia's presence on the show never felt natural : her relationship with Sloane felt contrived, just like his ride on the good side for the sake of a girl he never knew. It was both boring and unbelievable. Her instant bonding with Sydney felt forced too, just like her relationship with Weiss. She played such a major part in the show that she only came back to die stupidly and that her death was not even mentioned by the mother who spent 20 years looking for her.

Edited on 10/16/2006 11:21am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

andi-pants

[22]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 7

As someone mentioned earlier, the first two seasons seemed to have a mini-cliffhanger at the end of every episode, leaving you wanting more and more. Season 3 seemed to abandon that; also here in Australia, season 3 changed timeslots so many times that I couldnt keep up with the "where has Sydney been for two years?" story.

Less JJ Abrams also seemed to mean less for Alias, with season 4 dropping a bit; not so much in ratings but in excitement. However I admit that I loved season 5, and even though Vaughn was absent for most of it, it was exciting, plenty of action and finished on a high. While it did feel a little rushed, and Rachel was annoying, I dont know any perfect tv shows, or any shows that had such a satisfying finale (wish Amy Acker's character got it though lol).

In my eyes, Alias has been one of the best tv shows ever; it combined family dynamics and relationships with action and excitement, as well as the ever-present Rambaldi storyline. There has never been a show quite like it. I believe Alias only went downhill in ratings, not in excitement or enjoyability. Best. Show. Ever. =)

Page_47

[23]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 11
    andi-pants wrote:

As someone mentioned earlier, the first two seasons seemed to have a mini-cliffhanger at the end of every episode, leaving you wanting more and more. Season 3 seemed to abandon that; also here in Australia, season 3 changed timeslots so many times that I couldnt keep up with the "where has Sydney been for two years?" story.

Less JJ Abrams also seemed to mean less for Alias, with season 4 dropping a bit; not so much in ratings but in excitement. However I admit that I loved season 5, and even though Vaughn was absent for most of it, it was exciting, plenty of action and finished on a high. While it did feel a little rushed, and Rachel was annoying, I dont know any perfect tv shows, or any shows that had such a satisfying finale (wish Amy Acker's character got it though lol).

In my eyes, Alias has been one of the best tv shows ever; it combined family dynamics and relationships with action and excitement, as well as the ever-present Rambaldi storyline. There has never been a show quite like it. I believe Alias only went downhill in ratings, not in excitement or enjoyability. Best. Show. Ever. =)

*hugs*

sh811a

[24]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 28
    I would honestly have to say by Season 4.  Don't get me wrong I still felt season 4 and the final season after that were decent follow ups but they just weren't very strong ones.  Problem was there wasn't enough of a motivation drive, we didn't have a buiding arc until several episodes latter but it was too little to late.  This is how I felt the show was running a little low on ammo.

malawi69

[25]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 21
    myosotis75 wrote:

:
    I would say after season 3. The repetitive storylines/plots.Also storylines that were stupid such as Sloane having a daughter with Irina Derevko. Characters that shouldn't have been added(Nadia).The whole Sloane back and forth evil crap. I watched this show from the beginning. But mid-way through season 4.Watching a full episode became difficult. Whether you're a fan or not. You have to admit to the crap that finally put the nail in the coffin.

I totally agree with you. First, the affair between Sloane and Irina was out of characher and unbelievable : it put Irina's cover as Laura at risk, and it made Sloane even more of an **** : he was a monster but he was a good husband, his love for Emily was his only redeeming feature, the affair destroyed that.

The affair was a sign, along with Vaughn's marriage to another woman within 2 years after Sydney's death that consistent character development didn't matter on Alias, and that all the characters were mere pawns for JJ and co to play with.

Nadia's presence on the show never felt natural : her relationship with Sloane felt contrived, just like his ride on the good side for the sake of a girl he never knew. It was both boring and unbelievable. Her instant bonding with Sydney felt forced too, just like her relationship with Weiss. She played such a major part in the show that she only came back to die stupidly and that her death was not even mentioned by the mother who spent 20 years looking for her.

Totally agreed season 3 was the top of the wave, then it went downhill. I personally haven't finished season 5, and the lack of Vaughn and Weiss on the team, is really something you can't overlook, not that this means that Tom or Rachel suck, but their trade off for Vaughn and Weiss left IMO the viewers in the losing end of the deal. Plus I'm watching the re-airs of the 1 through 4 seasons, and Syd, looked definitely preetier in the first 2 seasons, and the whole A.P.O. white scenic backgroung doesn't help her, I dunno if it's coz she's wearing less makeup, but in my mind I'll cling to how Syd looked when she had her secret briefings with Vaughn in seasons 1-2. And she also wasn't at all pretty pregnant, mind me but I ahve to say it.

Also the seasonly change of the current enemy (season 1: SD6, 2: SD6 & Sloane, 3: Covenant, 4: crazy Rambaldi followers/ Katya Derevko, 5: Prophet 5) gave the feeling of closed chapters, specially since every gruop/individual they fought had a view of Rambaldi in their personal way. Let just say that enemies weren't as cool or sexy after season 3, and the only thing that made wanna watch an episode, was when Sark appeared again, but on the other ends Peyton was just a cheap and poor bad guy.

Also the season 5 cut back in previous characters was lousy, we lost Vaughn, Weiss and Sark (he was on like 3 o 4 epis only) , and gained Rachel, Tom, Peyton and Renee (wich BTW was totally fuc#ed up how she died), bad move thew whole thing IMO.

malawi69

[26]Oct 21, 2006
    myosotis75 wrote:

:

Totally agreed season 3 was the top of the wave, then it went downhill. I personally haven't finished season 5, and the lack of Vaughn and Weiss on the team, is really something you can't overlook, not that this means that Tom or Rachel suck, but their trade off for Vaughn and Weiss left IMO the viewers in the losing end of the deal. Plus I'm watching the re-airs of the 1 through 4 seasons, and Syd, looked definitely preetier in the first 2 seasons, and the whole A.P.O. white scenic backgroung doesn't help her, I dunno if it's coz she's wearing less makeup, but in my mind I'll cling to how Syd looked when she had her secret briefings with Vaughn in seasons 1-2. And she also wasn't at all pretty pregnant, mind me but I ahve to say it.

Also the seasonly change of the current enemy (season 1: SD6, 2: SD6 & Sloane, 3: Covenant, 4: crazy Rambaldi followers/ Katya Derevko, 5: Prophet 5) gave the feeling of closed chapters, specially since every gruop/individual they fought had a view of Rambaldi in their personal way. Let just say that enemies weren't as cool or sexy after season 3, and the only thing that made wanna watch an episode, was when Sark appeared again, but on the other ends Peyton was just a cheap and poor bad guy.

Also the season 5 cut back in previous characters was lousy, we lost Vaughn, Weiss and Sark (he was on like 3 o 4 epis only) , and gained Rachel, Tom, Peyton and Renee (wich BTW was totally fuc#ed up how she died), bad move thew whole thing IMO.

malawi69

[27]Oct 29, 2006

I just saw "Reprisal" the other day, and I'm frankly shocked at how the writers killed Tom, I mean I thought how Renee and Nadia died was pretty stupid, a slashed throat and a piece of glass, but after seeing how Tom jsuts sits by the bomb it was just, silly (I couldn't find a better word). No wonder ALIAs went downhill in it's last seasons, I mean who could blame people for stoping to watch such a silly writng of a series.

This tuesday's do to air the Series Finale I just hope it goes down sails blazing in full glory, or I'll add another notch to my "lame end, to a cool series" experience alongside JAG for one.

I just hope they don't do something really anoying like killing Jack or Marshall, or doing it for real with Vaughn

PS:to avoid killing the suspense I haven't read any ALIAs spoilers or realted pages, regarding the ending

Edited on 10/29/2006 6:16pm

grimface_87

[28]Oct 31, 2006
    malawi69 wrote:

I just saw "Reprisal" the other day, and I'm frankly shocked at how the writers killed Tom, I mean I thought how Renee and Nadia died was pretty stupid, a slashed throat and a piece of glass, but after seeing how Tom jsuts sits by the bomb it was just, silly (I couldn't find a better word). No wonder ALIAs went downhill in it's last seasons, I mean who could blame people for stoping to watch such a silly writng of a series.

the reason Tom just sat there was because he knew there wasnt enough time to get away

malawi69

[29]Nov 1, 2006
    grimface_87 wrote:
    the reason Tom just sat there was because he knew there wasnt enough time to get away
    still then why did Dixon and Jack tell him to bail out when the counter hit 60 seconds ? anyway I'm not gonna start controversy over this, I just say I think the way Tom died was as silly as Renee's

grimface_87

[30]Nov 1, 2006
    malawi69 wrote:
    grimface_87 wrote:
    still then why did Dixon and Jack tell him to bail out when the counter hit 60 seconds ? anyway I'm not gonna start controversy over this, I just say I think the way Tom died was as silly as Renee's

sorry, but jack said leave before the timer hits 60 seconds, and tom said "ok", looked at the timer, saw 20 or 30 seconds, and gave up.

but, i agree with you regarding renee's death. in that episode i really started to love that character, Sydney: "Come on Renee, join the CIA" Renee: "Hmm...OK"
    Sydney: "Really"
    Renee: "No"

but i knew after they replaced her in the opening credits that she was not long for the alias world.

Llama_of_Drama

[31]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 5
    Like I've said in another thread, i feel like ABC totally screwed up the format of Alias during season 4 when they demanded stand alone episodes in the early part of the season, and for some reason or another the original plot line from the season 3 finale got changed so we got a whole new ''resolution'' which didn't really make sense. Then ABC goes and decides to disrespect the fans and the ppl who worked on the show by cutting the season down and having the writers make a rushed ending...i mean what was the harm in having a full 22 ep season as opposed giving 17....i was tootally appalled when i first found out and i am still kinda upset even if it has been awhile lol

Page_47

[32]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 11
    Tom commited suicide because he couldn't live with the knowledge that he had indirectly killed his wife. And he'd just saved a huge mass of people by giving them time to escape (= slight redemption). It's what's called ending a character-arc you MUFFIN.

malawi69

[33]Nov 4, 2006
    Page_47 wrote:
    Tom commited suicide because he couldn't live with the knowledge that he had indirectly killed his wife. And he'd just saved a huge mass of people by giving them time to escape (= slight redemption). It's what's called ending a character-arc you MUFFIN.

Then when Danny was killed why didn't Syd show up at SD6 with a bomb strapped to her waist, she was responsable for Danny's death yet she moved on and met Vaughn, Tom mcould have done the same and finished with Rachel. If you wanted a decent "ending a character-arc" fine do something like Will remove him in a righteous way, not like Tom or Renee

abuck4skij

[34]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    I don't quite remember when the show started going downhill, but I know that Season 5 made me cringe. Ohh if I could cry about TV shows, I would've cried then. ALIAS was my sustenance! So now I'm reliving the series all over again from the beginning.

lucy18

[35]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 2

BeastBoy87 wrote:
    Alias2001 wrote:
    I think ALIAS started getting bad ratings when ABC kept changing its timeslot. Then less people were able to watch it due to work and confusion of time.
    Ditto

Me too. I also think that the fifth season was when it really went downhill. Sydney couldn't do anything pregnant, they were adding new characters, Vaughn was "dead"... And the finale.. don't get me started. But it was still a great show!

HeleN_Corr

[36]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    sh811a wrote:
    I would honestly have to say by Season 4. Don't get me wrong I still felt season 4 and the final season after that were decent follow ups but they just weren't very strong ones. Problem was there wasn't enough of a motivation drive, we didn't have a buiding arc until several episodes latter but it was too little to late. This is how I felt the show was running a little low on ammo.

I agree with that! I think Alias started a decline in season 3 as well, but for me, season 4 wasn't that bad, I liked Nadia a lot, and the final episode was great. But I didn't like season 5!! They killed everyone: Nadia, Jack, Irina, Tom, Ranee,... , and I didn't like the newones except for Renee. The fact that Irina at the end is bad really sucked too!! For me the best seasons are 1 and 2!

archangelcory16

[37]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 32
    HeleN_Corr wrote:
    sh811a wrote:
    I would honestly have to say by Season 4. Don't get me wrong I still felt season 4 and the final season after that were decent follow ups but they just weren't very strong ones. Problem was there wasn't enough of a motivation drive, we didn't have a buiding arc until several episodes latter but it was too little to late. This is how I felt the show was running a little low on ammo.

I agree with that! I think Alias started a decline in season 3 as well, but for me, season 4 wasn't that bad, I liked Nadia a lot, and the final episode was great. But I didn't like season 5!! They killed everyone: Nadia, Jack, Irina, Tom, Ranee,... , and I didn't like the newones except for Renee. The fact that Irina at the end is bad really sucked too!! For me the best seasons are 1 and 2!

I actually liked Rebecca, the blonde chick they brought in. I was a fan of hers from "The Inside", and I was glad she was getting a new role. I also liked the progression of her character, after she first went into the CIA she was feeling weak and became stronger and more confident as the season progressed...

I never cared for Tom much until the finale, and when he died, I was a little sad.

Dmluciano

[38]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 12
    The Show went downhill in my opion when francine died and when lauren came in

archangelcory16

[39]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 32
    Dmluciano wrote:

Lauren was one of the highlights of the series. In fact I just finished rewatching season three and it's my favorite season, even though I still hate the absence of Francie.

Doobie718

[40]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Dmluciano wrote:

Lauren was one of the highlights of the series. In fact I just finished rewatching season three and it's my favorite season, even though I still hate the absence of Francie.

I totally agree, again. You rock!