Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

When do you think alias started going down hill?

speedroc

[41]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 12
    I believe the show went downhill after the second season. I understand why SD-6 had to taken down in order to free up some creativity,but once the show started focusing on Syd/Vaughn it became aggravating. Instead of the 2-3 missions an episode,gadgets,and fight sequences, we had to settle for more romance and character development.

Now I have no problem with character development as long as it doesn't bog the show down, which in this case it did. Season 1 wa a non-stop rollercoaster filled with kick ass action and cliffhangers,while season 2 focused on the various (Syd,Vaughn,Jack,Irina) relationships.

I preferred it when those were "part" of the show instead of being in the forefront. Give me season 1 kick ass Sydney anyday.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

trustno1uk

[42]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 9
    It went down hill a little in season 3 where it became like a soap and the shwo never really recoved season 5 though was by no means 'down hill' it was arguably the best season

lakersgirl11820

[43]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    for me it started to go down when sloane was looking for his daughter and that weird green stuff appeared. that was just a little weird

Superdawg519

[44]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 7
    I don't think it ever went downhill. It certainly evolved and was a different show each season, but each season has its merits in my opinion. Season 1 was inventive and exciting, with cliffhangers ending almost every episode. Season 2 was great mainly because of Lena Olin, and the whole spy family dynamic. Season 3 seemed like a much darker Alias, especially since Syd was angry at the world. Season 4 felt fresh and fun at first, but really centered on Sloane's inner conflict towards the end. And Season 5 was engaging because of the new characters (especially Rachel as a spy-in-training), but really was notable for the Jack/Syd relationship. I know some people who had a falling-out with Alias. But I knew I still loved it, because I still had the same excited feeling as I watched each episode, no matter what the season.

malawi69

[45]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 21
    definitely after season 3, season 4 was still somewhat manageable, but season 5, was just offensive to viewers. IMO

bonniekean

[46]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    As soon as I heard that Sloane had an affair with Irina Derevko.

The fact that he loved Emily so much was done so wonderfully, because he was so evil, yet you sympathized with him because he really loved her, etc.

But then it was destroyed when we found out about his infidelity.

Also, the show just got WAY too supernatural.

Synetech

[47]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 22
    I don't think it ever "went downhill" or "jumped the shark", but season five had too many changes, too fast. That (and Ben) was the death blow. Many shows have died because they made too many changes all at once, and ended up being cancelled, most notably Angel and SG-1.

Let these be lessons to other shows. Viewers and networks don't like it, so make changes slowly.

That said, I enjoyed the fast pace of this show. It moved very quickly (they took down the Alliance in the middle of season 2!), yet they always had more to do. I was constantly left wondering what's left, only to be answered quite well.

Also, Lost hurt Alias pretty bad. Both ABC and JJ shifted focus away from this to the new pet project. Lost started out great; the first six episodes (the ones that JJ was involved with) were terrific, but we all know what's happened to it since. Unfortunately, it had already done it's damage and now both shows are toast. Let's just hope that JJ's return to Lost will save it from Alias' fate.
    Edited on 04/13/2007 7:16pm

kellyrox88

[48]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    I believe there were too many characters involved in the final season, it became difficult for the audience to follow along. i don't think it helped that jennifer garner was preganant, she was the main reason this show was so successful. Many people loved seeing the women kick butt, especially me. I do believe the time slot after lost actually was good for alias. I believe it went downhill when they moved it to thursdays, when they put it in the same time slot as csi, that was the mistake.

Stacie_Doll

[50]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 7

Season 5. We already had characters who were under used (Dixon, Weiss)and the new characters that were brought in were less interesting(Tom, Rachel).

Amy Acker is sucky villain.

I new the would some how make Vaughn undead. I wasn't rooting for him to die or anything but how many times are they going to do this?

I kind of like the idea of Sydney mentoring another woman but cast someone better for the role. It was unbelievable how fast they put her in the field after just running away from a mission.

Season 4 didn't bore me at all. Season 3 dragged a little after Sydney's missing years were revealed but season 5 is the only one to piss me off.

athevolunteer

[51]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 20
    Stacie_Doll wrote:
    Amy Acker is sucky villain.

How dare you say that!

michael_LB92

[52]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 24
    Season 1 and 2 were legen - wait for it - DARY!
    Then season 3 was a bit depressing, but still cool.
    Season 4 was a bit more light-hearted, but the show's supernatural theme was getting ridiculous. I love supernatural shows, and I love ALIAS kind of show, but when those two worlds mix together, you end up with a sour taste in your mouth.
    Season 5 was OK, for a few episodes, but ultimately nothing compared to Season 1 and 2.
    Also, the fact that NO-BODY ever stayed dead annoyed me.
    I mean come on!

The_Beekeeper

[53]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 10
    The first 2 seasons were so AWESOME (What's that left hand? Self-five?) but in season 3 I felt that the twists in the story became more about shock-value than emotional character arcs. While I still enjoyed season 3 and 4 (season 5 STILL has not aired in Australia) The first 2 seasons were the best.

karly24

[54]May 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    I actually liked it good up until season 5...I didn't really like Sydney being pregnant...she couldn't do as much stuff then...and it was weird with all that coming back to life Rambaldi water stuff...but it was still interesting I guess

cavanagh15

[55]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 35
    Authorized Personal Only is where the show started going down. The last 4/5 episodes of season 4 were good and the finale of season 5 was good. But thats about it.

marto_dd

[56]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 17

I think that the third season was the best one and I can't understand why most of you don't like it. It was absolutely great! I loved the triangle Sydney-Vaughn-Lauren. And I loved Nadia's storyline. Nadia is one of my favorite characters and I'm really happy that there is such a character.

The show went downhill after the second episode of season 5. The episodes 2-8 of season 5 were the worst episodes ever. The old, loved characters like Vaughn, Nadia and Weiss were gone, there were a lot of new characters… But after episode 8 it became better. First, we had this amazing episode with Sydney and Vaughn and then Irina came back, Nadia also came back a few episodes later, we had the chance to get to know the new characters and they stopped being so new… And the series finale was absolutely great. ^^

Celestra9

[57]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 16
    I don't really think it went downhill either, but it did suffer in a few areas for me.

Season 1 & 2 were outstanding, I can't say anything bad about them at all. Season 3 was extremely interesting, but I didn't like Lauren because I think Melissa George is a terrible actress (and I'm Australian). I loved Season 4. I really liked Nadia and felt she did bring a new side to quite a few of the characters. And having Irina in the last few episodes was awesome.
    Season 5 was different due to the cast changes but still the storyline held me till the end. I also thought that Amy Acker was hard to swallow as a bad guy. She's not a bad actress by any means but she just didn't seem to have the screen presence to pull of being a real baddie. I was annoyed at Jack being killed off but I suppose it made sense that he would do what he could to finally stop Sloane.

I do think that JJ leaving to concentrate on Lost was a really bad thing. I can see how his leaving did affect the show and I never thought Lost was a patch on Alias anyway.

PabloExobar

[58]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 18

never went downhil, the show's formula changed, though.

The first 2 seasons were heavily character centric. Then, the 3rd season was mostly mythology. Not only Rambaldi, but Sydney's missing years. 4th season went out on a high note, but the first half of it was all self contained episodes because of abc's influence. This was the weakest season imho..

Season 5 on a whole was good, not as good as the first 3, but better than the 4th. The fifth season really picked up by the end, though, and Alias had some of it's best episodes.

Blaming Lost for Alias' downhill as I read above is not really accurate. JJ Abrams wasn't really involved with season 3 either, and Lost didn't even exist back then... plus JJ only CO wrote the pilot episode of Lost, he did nothing more. He is not the ultimate man behind Lost.

I believe it was mostly his movie career that simply kept him busy. I was really disappointed to find out back then that JJ wasn't writing/directing the finale ...

goblz

[59]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 10
    I love all five seasons of Alias. But, in my opinion, the best two were the first two seasons. After that it was never as good; for me season 5 came closest and seasons 3 and 4 were the weakest. As good as the storyline in season two was, as well written and well acted as it was, and as awesome as the finale of that year was, it all worked against them in season three. Francie and Will were gone, and their absence left a hole in the show. Vaughn got married too fast and they botched the Lauren thing. Like I said, I love all five seasons; there's great stuff to see in every season. But it wasn't as good after season two. That's my opinion anyway.

neishi-boi

[60]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    I'd say the point in the third season where Lauren turned out to be working for the 'bad guys' - felt they rushed it way too soon and the show never really recovered from that...