Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Why do they put Alias next to Buffy and Tru Calling and other shows

Kadodian

[1]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 23

Does anyone notice when you talk about shows related to Alias they always say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena Warrior Princess and Tru Calling.

But Alias is tottally different, it is nothing like these shows.

Why do they put Alias in the same cateogary.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvfan332

[2]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 37
    Probably because all those shows are centered on strong women saving the day.

Alu1985

[3]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yeah, I think that's the main reason...
    And IMO Sydney and Buffy are very similar characters.

JoeyzPizza47

[4]Dec 18, 2007
    As much as I LOVE Buffy, Alias is on another level. I think it wasn't so much geared toward teens, which made it so much better. Alias is horribly underrated. I would put it more in the category of Heroes and Lost, which is funny because Lost is another J.J show.

mackymacaspac

[5]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 78
    I haven't seen Tru Calling. I'd probably place Alias in the same level as Buffy. IMHO, both shows are for mature audiences. Same as Lost. I wouldn't say the same about Heroes though especially after season 2.

archangelcory16

[6]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 32
    I'm a fan of all of those shows and I think they're somewhat similar - all have otherworldly elements and are centered on strong female characters who make a difference in the world. And I know that there are **LOTS** of crossover fans for each series. They appeal to the same basic audience I think.

Celestra9

[7]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 16
    Yes there are definite supernatural undertones to Alias. I mean have you ever seen a Mueller Device for real? Plus what about some of the other Rambaldi artifacts that are also otherworldly?
    Edited on 01/07/2008 6:46pm

wzychee

[8]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 7
    I'd say it's almost solely because of the supernatural aspects of the shows. Alias, for better or worse, kept going back to Rambaldi, thrusting it into the same category as the aforementioned shows -- even when it was an entirely different beast altogether.

Kadodian

[9]Jan 24, 2008
    • level: 23
    Well I guess your right

BenoitFan989

[10]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    I agree with the poster who said its because the show is centered around a strong woman charachter. I only saw a little of Alias back in 2004, but yeah its nothing like Buffy and DEFINITALY not like Tru Calling.

MovieMark17

[11]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 35

Alias, to a lesser extent, is very much a sci-fi show. Even in the first season, when Syd meets that clock maker, he hints at having been friends with Rambaldi back in the day -- in fact, I think he was hinting he was rambaldi. In season, however, it's when it really gained sci-fi momentum. The old man in the prision who had been there for centuries, not to mention Sloane coming back from a bullet to the head. Plus, the prophecies and so on have really connected it to sci-fi, so that's one reason.

The others would be strong women fighting to save others, and all of the shows are linked in with Destiny and Prophecy, too.

Ossie

[12]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 14

Buffy is a show centered on metaphors about teenage/young adult life.

Alias is a show centered on action and mystery.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Different genre

JoeyzPizza47

[13]May 4, 2008
    I just think that the quality of Alias is far above Buffy. Buffy was/is a great show, but there are alot of times when it comes off as cheesy. Alias had its farfetched moments, but to me never came off as cheesy. Alias was one big adrenaline rush, the master of cliffhangers (especially season 1!!)

grit1313

[14]May 4, 2008
    • level: 11
    Mainly I think it is the strong female heroines that link all four of these shows. Joss Whedon has said he created Buffy because he was tired of watching the cute blond girls get killed and wanted to have them fight back and win. To a certain degree Alias presents the same format. Sydney is pretty and often uses a weak or ditzy female as an alias before kicking butt. Buffy and Sydney are women action heroes. While they might not appeal to the same target audience the fundamental make-up of their characters is similar. Also while I agree that Alias relates well with Lost and Heroes with their extensive thriller like endgames, Bufffy also had extensive show mythology and its own endgames. Although Buffy might look like a silly teen show on the surface it was much deeper than that. All these shows wanted to project strong women and they succeed. I think that is why they are grouped together. Also in a little triva nerd moment Sydney and Buffy share middle names and their inials are the same in reverse order. Buffy Anne Summers / Sydney Anne Bristow. I know a trivial coincidence, but I am a nerd.