Alias Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Your favourite inconsistancy/goof...

Doobie718

[1]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 4

What's your favourite Alias inconsistancy? Over the 5 seasons, there were alot of plots/characters to keep track of, and the writers sometimes would forget that we are not complete idiots sometimes!

Mine: Season 5, "the horizon". The whole point of this episode.. kidnapping Syd, hypnotizing her in order to retrieve a piece of information on an SD-6 map that she "may" have seen for like 30 seconds 5 (6?) years ago! Rediculous! HELLOOOOO?! Just ask Sloane, he's working for you now, and he RAN SD-6!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Page_47

[2]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    Sorry it's just my opinion but I thought when they were asking Syd about the code, they forcd to actually relive the memory so she could look again. They couldn't ask Sloane because then he would have:

a) A strong enough bargaining chip to get Nadia's cure, meaning he would then become useless to Prophet Five, and thus he could not have orchestrated the events of 'There's Only One Sydney Bristow'.
    b) Immediately known Prophet Five's plan, and tried to (as Irina did) beat them to it, something they probably didn't want.

I don't mean to annoy you - that's just my opinion

I usually thought the long-term continuity in Alias was always mostly spectacular, although, if anything, I'd say that both Weiss and Irina should have had a little more to do with Nadia's death (e.g. Weiss show up at the funeral/Irina recieve the news from Sloane etc.).

archangelcory16

[4]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 32
    I liked The Horizon, that was the first truly excellent episode of season five. And I liked how they toyed with the idea that the subconcious can remember something so insignificant even if YOU don't realize you're remembering it.

Doobie718

[5]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 4

Page_47 wrote:
    Sorry it's just my opinion but I thought when they were asking Syd about the code, they forcd to actually relive the memory so she could look again. They couldn't ask Sloane because then he would have: a) A strong enough bargaining chip to get Nadia's cure, meaning he would then become useless to Prophet Five, and thus he could not have orchestrated the events of 'There's Only One Sydney Bristow'. b) Immediately known Prophet Five's plan, and tried to (as Irina did) beat them to it, something they probably didn't want. I don't mean to annoy you - that's just my opinion I usually thought the long-term continuity in Alias was always mostly spectacular, although, if anything, I'd say that both Weiss and Irina should have had a little more to do with Nadia's death (e.g. Weiss show up at the funeral/Irina recieve the news from Sloane etc.).

Those are good points (and no need to apologize!!) I guess they didn't want Sloane to have any advantage over them, but LOGICALLY they were still holding Nadia's cure over his head at that point, no? Anyway, this episode was my favourite of the season, and in fact one of my fav's of the entire series. Just even as soon as it happened, I was thinking in my head, "just ask Sloane!!"!

Page_47

[6]Dec 30, 2006
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    I liked The Horizon, that was the first truly excellent episode of season five. And I liked how they toyed with the idea that the subconcious can remember something so insignificant even if YOU don't realize you're remembering it.

Exploring the subconscious has always been something this show has done very well for some reason!

davidearls

[7]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 6
     My favourite inconsistency has to be the season 3 cliffhanger where Syd learns that she is a CIA project (probably as a part of Project Christmas), and that the project is still active. Then in season 4, they try to sell it as she found out her father killed her mother.

sweetsteph

[8]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 13

davidearls wrote:
     My favourite inconsistency has to be the season 3 cliffhanger where Syd learns that she is a CIA project (probably as a part of Project Christmas), and that the project is still active. Then in season 4, they try to sell it as she found out her father killed her mother.

I agree with you, it was one of the biggest inconsistencies of the show. It is especially evident when you think back to the Season 3 finale when Lauren says to Sydney during their fight that "You think the CIA couldn't find you when you went missing? Or that you learned what happened to you by chance?" This insinuated to me that Sydney was some sort of project or her dissapearance was really orchestrated by the CIA but then it was never really explained in the following season. These are the sort of things I would have liked to asked the writers, whether they actually had something else in mind in this finale, or why they pretended to kill of Vaughn and what they actually had planned for Syd in Season 5 before Jennifer Garner's pregnancy.

Page_47

[9]Jan 11, 2007
    sweetsteph wrote:

davidearls wrote:

I agree with you, it was one of the biggest inconsistencies of the show. It is especially evident when you think back to the Season 3 finale when Lauren says to Sydney during their fight that "You think the CIA couldn't find you when you went missing? Or that you learned what happened to you by chance?" This insinuated to me that Sydney was some sort of project or her dissapearance was really orchestrated by the CIA but then it was never really explained in the following season. These are the sort of things I would have liked to asked the writers, whether they actually had something else in mind in this finale, or why they pretended to kill of Vaughn and what they actually had planned for Syd in Season 5 before Jennifer Garner's pregnancy.

That's answered in the book that comes with the 5 season boxset The writers say that they were going to continue the project Christmas plot, and make it that Jack was responsible. To be honest, I'm kind of glad they chose to focus more on and develop the emotional side of things (Irina's season 4 arc) rather than go back to old plotlines.
    However, it seems to me that any of the things Lauren said that weren't really covered later on in the show, were sidestepped by the writers in the one main thing Sydney said to her in the fight: "You're buying time!"
    I think half of what Lauren said was true, but that was just to make Sydney believe that the rest of it was too.