Alias

Reprisal (1)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 22, 2006 on ABC

• Very Sad but a Strong Season Final (Part 1)

A very strong part one to the season final or should I say season final. A lot of twists and turns you do not expect.

Does not seem like a very strong episode and that it would end the way it does which added to the drama and suspense of the episode. It comes together in the last ten, fifteen minutes and turns into a very strong episode in which allows for the very last episode.

Very sad epsiode, especially where Tom dies - I cry every time I watch this episode on DVD. Tom was a brilliant addition to the show in my mind, pity that we did not see too muhc of him and that there was no next season with him in it!
  • EXCELENT!!!!!

in cant belive, just incredible, perfect all the thinks all that I imagined was in this two hours series finale.
    Sloane back to the real sloane the bad gay the best actor in this show, marshall spectacular, Shark 10 points.
    The first episode, "Reprisal," starts with the APO team attempting to get definitive looks at the top members of Prophet Five. The team spreads out and obtains the photographic proof they need, to go along with the rest of the documentation they already have. The plan is to arrest all of the leaders, Sloane included, simultaneously. They don't want the members to be able to warn anyone else before the deed goes down.
  • Awesome episode and review has spoilers

i've just watched both this episode and the next (the last) and WOW they managed to redeem themselves after season 4! The only thing i'd like to say so not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it is, i was shocked by how Tom died in the end- showed himself to be a true hero and saved everyone else :( at first i didn't think Tom was a good character but grew to like him when his past was revealed. the end was good but very upsetting when he then spoke with Rachel over the communications before the explosion AWESOME episode back to its best for the last
  • Review

Good start to the big two-hour series finale of Alias. It doesnt wrap up much of anything, which is good so long as the finale can excite us with some dazzling scenes and still have enough time to wrap up most of the main storylines.

Loved the way this episode began, with all of the members of our team finding the remaining members that make up Prophet Five, so they can prepare to take them down. The kidnapping of Marshall and Rachel was exciting too, I was thinking that one of them might not make it all the way through the torture scenes. I loved the scene where Marshall gave his monolouge to Arvin, I thought it was the best part of the episode. Sark is always comical and this episode was no different - I think the writers made a great decision there to have Sark kidnap Rachel and Peyton Marshall.

The scene between Thomas and Rachel wasnt all bad like I would have assumed. If you have read my reviews of the past couple of episodes you would know the hatred I have of those two having a scene together for a handful of on-screen minutes as the world of Alias ticks away. Thomas dying at the end was exactly the way I would have had it. He sacrificed himself because (in my opinion) after kissing Rachel he realized how much he wanted to be with his wife. After finding out the bullet was meant for him in the last episode he just seemed out of focus. I thought it was a good job by the writers to have him go out with a lot of honor and helping save everyone.

I also loved the ending scene where Arvin was giving the voiceover, I think Alias should have done more of that throughout the years.
  • Just one more episode left.

This episode was really good. APO start mass arrests on Prophet Five members. But before long Rachel and Marshall are taken prisioner. Carrie Marshalls wife helps on technical support. Slone allows Sydney to talk to Marshall, who has a cryptic message for his wife. And then something awful happens Slone plants a bomb near AOP to distroy it. But only Tom can save the day, but he is already too late. The whole building goes up, Tom dies but not before telling Rachel that he would have asked her out on a date. Loved this episode i thought the final was even better. Great story.
  • the excitement never ceases

Sloane kidnaps Rachel and Marshall to find the exact location of the Rambaldi secret site. This is the final episode for Baltazar Getty, this episode is exciting, it's classic ALIAS. The introduction is full of action, different agents go at different locations around the world to get a visual verification of the 12 people running prophet 5. Throughout the episode, the cloak and dagger keeps us on our toes. Sloane's real personality is perhaps very obvious by this time, he is bad to the bone, twisted in every way. It ends with a cliffhanger, it's an awesome episode, I can't wait for the next one.
  • alls well in vaugn heaven he's back!SAKS is so sexy i love him better with the british accent,i wonder when irina will show up.

it was an adrenalin high the way everything is happening. i never knew marshal had any back bone, it was cool seeing his wife again. i love the wya she took charge of the situation, a good thing they both work in the ssame field, i like the way she didnt freak out when she heard marshall was still with the CIA, it was sweet. Sloan was at his best as usual, when is peyton gonna really die, am just glad anna is finally dead for real this time, whao it was becoming creepy the way she keeps popping up. the only sad note was tom dying i would have love for him and rachel to explore the romance budding but i guess he had go home to his wife.
  • Overall this was a very well crafted episode and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It went by fast and it reminded me of the old \'Alias\' days.

I\'ve lived with secrets all my life...and I\'m done.\"

The opening monologue by Sydney was touching but also sad as it fully made me realize how much of an out our characters want from the spy business and that the series really is ending. I was rewatching some earlier seasons the other day and now seeing season five I can see how much Sydney really has grown from her earlier spy days as has this series. Back in season one it was all about the missions, betrayals, double crosses, insane stunts. While all those things remain, \'Alias\' now more is about our characters and the relationships and how much they\'ve grown and changed since the series first started. While I really didn\'t like the aspect of Sydney becoming pregnant it really is a nice way to end the series and show everything going full circle. Isabelle has now given Sydney a reason to want to settle down now. The writers really have done a good job at showing how much the character’s wants and dreams have changed. Years ago, all Sydney wanted was to be a spy and serve her country. Now she just wants to be a mom. While a little bit disheartening, it’s still very refreshing to see that character development. Sydney couldn\'t stay that reckless kick-ass spy forever.

Just like the saying the enemy of your enemy is your friend; Prophet 5 has now been destroyed by Sloane, Sark and Peyton. This is fine by me as I never got into Prophet 5 that much. They remained faceless for most of the season and I think they were intended as a longer arc villain, but when the series got canceled the writers didn\'t have much to do with them. Sloane, Sark and Peyton are the villains that we really have gotten to know and having them destroy Prophet 5 leaves the next hour for us to watch characters that we actually care about battle it out.

Tom\'s death was actually surprisingly moving, although I suspect it would have had a greater effect on us if we actually had gotten to know him better. This probably was another result of the series cancellation, as Tom and Rachel were probably created to last a longer time.

Overall this was a very well crafted episode and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It went by fast and it reminded me of the old \'Alias\' days. We are getting closer and closer to Rimbaldi\'s endgame and I can\'t wait to find out what that 16th century prophet was up to all along.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Marshall: \"You\'re tasking me? What you think you\'re still my boss?\" I loved that Marshall finally got to tell Sloane off. Marshall was very strong during the torture sequence and it showed how much he\'s grown since he was last tortured in season two.

- It was nice seeing Carrie back again. I loved that it was Marshall\'s wife who took over technical support at A.P.O. With parents like his Mitchell\'s going to be a very smart child.

- Watching Sydney take the photos of her targets as she bungy jumped off the building was a classic \'Alias\' moment.

- Sydney got a final \'Alias\' in this episode. First in the leopard spot dress and then in the waitress uniform as Debbie\'s \"fill\".

- I found it hard to believe Vaughn would be roaming around in broad daylight with Prophet 5 still after him. I guess he doesn\'t have to worry about that anymore though.

- Marshall: \"Trust me you don\'t want to see me without a shirt. It\'s not a pretty sight.\"

- Sydney got to go to \'Sydney\' in this episode.

- Tom: “Son of a **** why do I always get the assignments that involve hypothermia.”

Jack: “Because you’re always late to briefings.”

- Sloane: \"There\'s no shying away from fate.\"

Sydney: \"I don\'t believe in fate.\"

- The episode ended with one final cliffhanger as Sydney sinks below the ice. Knowing \'Alias\' a cliffhanger was bound to happen.

Final Rating: 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx

Find this review and many others at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Read my review below.

To have insulted viewers with the flimsy ending that occurred in the second half of the Alias finale was pathetic! I felt as if I were viewing another Lord of the Rings episode instead of a spy drama. I really enjoyed the first hour but feel that in the second hour, the previous five years were ignored. It seemed as if the writers suddenly realized that they only had 15 minutes of air time left and scrambled to put together a hodge-podge-piece-of-crap ending. They should be FORCED to go back to the drawing board a do a re-write. We can view it next week and pretend that this week didn\'t happen.
    P.S. I HATE that JACK DIED!!!!!!
    P.S.S. I HATE that JACK DIED!!!!!
  • After 5 UNBELIEVEABLE years, Sidney finally ends where it all began and most importantly, faces her arch nemeses, Sloane. Thank You Sidney for one HELLVA ride!

P.S. sorry, guys this isn't a review, I had to write 100 words so I kept repeating myself, Please read the finale review in the next episode.

• The penultimate episode.

Arvin Sloane reveals his true colors, as the mask totally comes off in this episode.

Sloane really hurt Marshall and Rachel in this episode. It was difficult to watch two such likable characters go through that.

Sloane's unmitigated lust for power drives him to do unspeakable things.

He shows himself to be the traitor he always was, and not just that. A miserable excuse for a human being too.

Avrin Sloane killed virtually anyone he ever got close too, betrayed associates and entire organizations with such well-practiced ease that toward the end it almost seemed graceful.

In this episode, torturing people he used to supervise - from each of the last two organizations he ever worked for - was really sinking to a new low.

The most dissatisfying thing about this episode: that Sloane is not dead already.
  • Next to last episode

I will miss this show a lot and despite it
    Not being a top ten show, it still has the loyal and great fan following as it made Jennifer Garner a star overnight
    As she and Vaughn must rescue their friends as it is non-stop action to the end
    Great acting and writing and again, will miss the show a lot but I will at least see Victor Garber in the fall on a new Fox show!
  • "I lived with secrets all my life... and I'm done!"

Alias - 5.16 "Reprisal" [1-part of the SERIES FINALE]

5.16 "Reprisal"
    I loved the beginning, it was so great. Felt like "old"-Alias. With taking pictures of the P5 people and that they where like everywhere. And especially Sydney's mission was awesome!
    I'm so glad that they at least mentioned, that Syd climbed Mount Subasio, back in season one. But they didn't really explained anything, what's up with the Passenger/the Chosen One etc. But well, I kinda don't care. Because so we can have our own thoughts: is Irina actually the Chosen One? Or was it Anna (as Syd)? Or is it actually Sydney? Somehow I like that we have to make our own thoughts about that.

Marshall was so cool - good to see him all that "hard". Also good to see Carrie back - even a little bit "back in action", yay. *g*
    Rachel was also really cool. I liked her and Tom together so much. They were so cute. :O
    And I'm so glad that they didn't kill Rachel and Marshall. *puh*

The end was great. With the explosion and the voice over of Sloane. Tom's death was real sad, I liked him. :(
    So now you can say, that Syd wasn't supposed to see these lights, which the amulet made, and it wasn't meant the Mountain, but those lights, which could just be done ON the mountain. So the prophecy makes sense... kinda, I guess. :P
  • Overall, this episode continued to escalate the stakes, setting the stage for a potentially satisfying resolution in the series finale. The quick and dirty plotting is still evident, but at this point, it’s more a question of how well the story flows.

As usual, when “Alias” airs more than one episode in a given night, the two installments are blended together. This review, however, covers only the first hour of the finale; this preserves the format for those who will ultimately see this episode on its own in the DVD set or in syndication. Besides, it actually works better on its own, because it doesn’t fell like the network is rushing the series out the door when viewed at the proper pace!

As much as Prophet Five was an annoyance more than a boon, there is a nice symmetry with the first season and the original Alliance of 12. In a way, it could be argued that the Alliance was Sloane’s attempt to recreate this particular organization. Either way, Sydney and APO get to do something they never really could with the Alliance: identify and locate every single one of the P5 leadership.

It certainly moves the plot right along, which was a necessity under the circumstances. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize that the real threat is likely to come from Sloane, and he’s been using P5 since he turned. This episode, then, is logically the mission to take down Prophet Five and force Sloane to make the final stretch on his own.

Like the previous episode, the initial scenes with Tom Grace and Rachel feel like a complete waste of time. And it certainly doesn’t help that the two of them have their little moment, since it’s the most predictable outcome imaginable. With so little time, what else were the writers go to accomplish? Thankfully, the moment is brief, and Rachel and Marshall are tossed into the main plot thread.

Leaving aside for a moment the faulty logic of messing with the hands of the man who holds the key to the Big Plan in his computer-savvy fingertips, the plot for the episode feels suspiciously like a delaying action. Why not jump right to the point of the matter? The answer is simple: there must be a situation during which Sloane’s actions on his own exact consequences, especially this close to the end.

With so little time, it’s great to see characters get some strong moments for themselves. Marshall shows a lot of backbone, and in a way, that’s a nice end for his character arc. Marshall is certainly not the same man from the first season, who never would have stood up to Sloane so completely as he does in this episode. And in a nice touch, Marshall’s defiance plays into Sloane’s own insecurities, channeling Nadia’s ghost as his conscience.

The codes tossed back and forth between Marshall and Rachel are a little obvious, and if there was more time to play out the plot threads, the writers probably wouldn’t have Sark be so blind. However, any such disappointments are quickly wiped clean by the realization that the writers pulled off a very clever twist. Tying this last key to Rambaldi’s plan to the most problematic aspect of the “Page 47” prophecy (the reference to Mt. Subasio), thus explaining why Sydney’s trip there in the first season didn’t violate Rambaldi’s prediction, is a stroke of genius.

As fake as the scenes on “Mt. Subasio” looked, it was a minor distraction from the fact that the endgame was finally being revealed. Given how many restrictions were placed on the mythology by the network, it was a moment few fans had any right to expect. The “exotic” location was old school Rambaldi to the core, as was Sloane’s masterful manipulation.

Sloane and Sydney have always had an odd relationship, and evoking Emily’s name was the perfect touch. Even if the end isn’t all it might have been, there’s still so much that works. What’s best is the slow but undeniable build towards Sloane’s apparent victory. The final act of this episode is about as close to the excellence of the first two seasons as one could expect under the restrictions.

Tom’s sacrifice was perhaps a bit too obvious, and it eliminates any chance that his Cardinal plot thread will have relevance to the Rambaldi endgame. And that renders the character and his inclusion in the fifth season all but worthless. Had the series continued, he would have effectively replaced Vaughn, but almost from the beginning, he had all the hallmarks of a character without a future or any lasting impact. Thomas Grace will go down as one of the true missteps (and missed opportunities) of the series.

By the end of the episode, the Prophet Five mishap is likewise cut down, leaving only the most potent and impressive element of that organization in its wake: Kelly Peyton. Peyton is the kind of character that could have thrived into future seasons, and it’s no surprise that Amy Acker played the role. After all, one of the most missed characters from the final season of “Angel” was Illyria. Acker’s beauty works for characters with deadly purpose.

With the end of this episode, the stage is set, and there’s only the final endgame.
  • Great way to start a series finale.

Honestly, IMHO, I found their series finale actually better than 24's season 5 finale. The episode was very consistent and people actually died. First, we start off with APO taking pictures of all the Prophet 5 members, then Flinkman and Gibson getting kidnapped. It was pretty cool when Gibson just literally owned the person who tried to kill then before they were rescued by the APO gangs. Kelly Peyton proved how lethal she can be after she killed all the Prophet Five members by herself. And as for Thomas Grace.. 2 words.. HOLY CRAP! Now, that scene was just crazy. The sad part is that he and Gibson actually had a thing going on before he died. And all that stuff for a sphere?! And it seems Sloane and the crew has outsmarted the entire APO.
  • It brings back sweet memories. (Spoilers)

The team gathers recon on Prophet 5 in an effort to bring them down. Soon enough, Rachel and Marshall are abducted by Sloane and are forced to help him. Sloane later attacks APO with a large bomb, and Tom loses his life in the process of buying time for the others to escape.

I'm sure if Alias wasn't getting cancelled, the Tom and Rachel relationship would have been a fresh chemistry to enjoy, but Tom's death was incredibly touching and sad. The scene was quite 'satisfyingly tragic.'

The episode ends with Sloane once against winning the battle after he sends Sydney to fall through the ice.
  • Music by Boris

I love Alias, and this episode is not the exception to the rule. The music is fantastic, really really fantastic. Seriously.

The final montage uses music by Boris called \"Song Name Too Long\", a clip of which can be found here - http://www.myspace.com/heyhey12345

It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite. It is your favourite.