The Awful Truth

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 12, 2005 on ABC

• You can't handle the truth.

Not exactly Alias' first stand-alone installment, but it's the first of many from season 4. The opening sequence was great, it's rare we get to see so many players duping the same target – it was one of the best openings from the show; Jennifer's accent was hilarious, that woman can act out anything the writers throw at her. The underlining theme, as the title would suggest, is the awful truth – how to hide it from loved ones, as a satisfying lie can bring closure to those that need it, or least that's how Jack spins it. Naturally, that would be his angle after witnessing what lengths Nadia will go to in order to ensure her mother's murderer is dead and buried. It was fun seeing Syd in deep cover and while I never truly felt as though her life was in danger, it was an enjoyable way to round off the APO team by recruiting Weiss into the fold. And only Jennifer Garner can pull off such fantastic dialogue 'I'mma?' 'I'mma gonna kick your ass,' nice! Jennifer Garner looks absolutely stunning in this episode. I just thought I'd throw that in somewhere – from her new yoike character to her natural party character, right down to Charlene, she looks incredible. Overall, it's a fast-paced hour that's not entirely as stand-alone as you may think. This episode explores the emotional barriers between Jack and Sydney in great detail, while adding a bit of Nadia conflict into the mix. It also looks as though the writers are grooming Weiss to be a love interest for Nadia, and it's refreshing to see on television a woman take the first step and ask him out. Yep, definitely a Bristow.