Alice (Mini-Series)

Syfy (Mini-Series 2009)

walrus_8463

Alice (Mini-Series) Fan Reviews (5)

• A lot of fun, but a bit unpolished.

I love Alice, it's a stand-out among the many works that have been inspired by Lewis Carrol over the years. It comes off as more of an affectionate tribute to the original story than a rehashing of the same or attempt to "modernize" a classic. In the universe of the series, we are told that the events of the original story did happen 150 years ago, but have little impact on the rest of the series. I thought this was a far better and more respectful way of doing things than Tim Burton's film, which seemed like an egotistical attempt to make a true sequel to the original.

I loved the aesthetic of the series, especially in the city. I only wish they had spent more time on the plot, or given the writers an extra episode or 2 to flesh things out. In a lot of scenes, something interesting would be brought up and I'd get curious but then they'd never be explained. Like, what was up with Hatter's hand that made people scared of it? Also, you put Tim Curry's name in all the ads and then he's literally in only one scene? There's all this talk about how bad things are in Wonderland, but very little is actually shown. Why did Charlie's trick with the skeleton army work?

Overall, though, it's great. However, it's a small made-for-tv event from a minor cable channel. That gave me very low expectations of quality. However, Nick Willing took the resources he had and got the very most out of them. This is an entertaining watch with likable characters, action, and eye-catching visuals. Definitely worth watching if you're looking for fun and a little nostalgia for childhood.