Aliens in America

Purple Heart

Aired Monday 8:30 PM Nov 12, 2007 on The CW

• Smoking awesome!

Raja shocks the Tolchucks by smoking. Franny and Gary also secretly smoke with Raja, but the other doesn't know. They vow to quit though. Jeffrey breaks up with Claire. She is really depressed so Justin sends her a purple heart. Purple hearts are a way that the school raises money, but the students have made it as an invitation to hook up with each other. Everyone makes fun of Justin for wanting to "hook up" with his sister. She also makes fun of him. They make up later.

This was a great episode! It was funny and surprising how the parents were smoking. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • LOVED this episode. There was PLENTY of comedy, but what I liked most was the plot development between Justin and Claire.

It was interesting to get another glimpse into Frannie and her husband's (smoke-filled) past, as, this week, one of the main comedic elements of the story (nicotine addiction and its effects) reached into the past, which we have seen on numerous occasions with this show. I am continually struck by the audacity and genius of Aliens in America; while it is family-friendly in a lot of ways, meaning young kids might be able to watch it and learn a little something about prejudice and other issues, it is also very grown up and reflects the paths teenagers take and the many choices/issues with which they are confronted. Most importantly, this week I really enjoyed the character development between Justin and Claire, as they each got a little more insight into each other and learned that "he/she is not so bad"...sometimes. ;-) I was also very impressed with how Justin handled the situation and with Claire's reactions to that. Of course, some of her reactions were totally selfish: she wants her brother "back" so she can continue to reap the benefits. But I still think this is a step in the right direction for her, a direction that will eventually lead her to respect and perhaps get along with her brother. Of course, this can't REALLY happen until the end of the show, but there can be plenty of hints and even some false moments of enlightenment in which things will go forward a few steps and then back a few. That's just the nature of television, and I love it! Especially on Aliens in America.