All-American Girl

ABC (ended 1995)

All-American Girl Fan Reviews (3)

6.7
  • Gag me with a spoon

All-American Girl was ABC's attempt to strike gold for a third time by giving stand-up comedienne Margaret Cho her own sitcom. They'd previously had success with Roseanne and Brett Butler. The show was billed as groundbreaking when it premiered because it was the first sitcom to deal with an Asian family. All-American Girl might have been billed as groundbreaking but what we got on-screen was a bloody awful mess that I rank as the third worst sitcom of the 90's behind The Brian Benben Show and Veronica's Closet. Cho was awful as an actress. Her character seemed to change every episode. The rest of the cast wasn't any better. Several Korean-American groups criticized ABC for using actors of non-Korean descent to play Koreans on the show. What they should have criticized them for was their awful acting.

The viewing public is always the ultimate judge on the quality of a show and they gave All-American Girl a thumbs down. It was deservedly canceled and consigned to the scrap heap of sitcom history. Except that now it's being released on DVD. Which just goes to show you that they'll release anything on DVD these days. There may yet be hope for Me and the Chimp and My Mother, the Car.