All Dogs Go to Heaven

ABC (ended 1998)

bluecatcinema

All Dogs Go to Heaven Fan Reviews (6)

7.7
  • Sometimes juvenile, sometimes surprisingly clever.

I've been into the All Dogs Go to Heaven fandom for years. When I found out that there was a TV show based on one of my favorite movies, I was psyched. And the first two seasons did not disappoint. (I still have not seen season 3, the "lost" season.) Naturally, there were some episodes that were painful to watch (All Creatures Great and Dinky comes to mind), and others that come down a bit heavy on the educational/moral parts, but others were sheer genius.

Case in point: Episode #25, The Big Fetch. The entire episode is a parody of old film noir movies. Steven Weber does a Humphrey Bogart-ish voice-over as his character, Charlie, plays detective. "Sam Spaniel" was his partner in the detective agency, who mysteriously vanished. Belladonna plays the mysterious lady in need of help with a case. Carface is her boss, and Killer is a hitman (though it is never clear if he is working for Carface or not). Sasha is the mysterious singer at the nightclub who claims to have all the answers. And Itchy does double-duty as the driver and as a local gossip who helps on the case.

"The case" involves a package containing an item known as the Maltese Collar. The location is "San Furcisco", where no cats are allowed. And yet, the Maltese Collar, which everyone wants so badly, is a cat collar.

The episode is expertly written and is filled with references to old movies and their stars which young children would not get. This, then, makes it an enjoyable experience for young and old alike. There are other such episodes, and some very clever songs as well. "Sidekicked," from the episode of the same name, has the same brilliance that's evident in episode #25. And "Party on a UFO" references several popular sci-fi fandoms, including Star Wars and The X-Files.

The characters themselves are still basically the same ones from the first two movies, though Ernest Borgnine's Carface is much more of a humourous interpretation than Vic Tayback's menacing original. But this never bothered me, at least, though I despised how the character was used in the second movie. Charlie, Itchy, Sasha, and Killer are all recognizable. Anabelle is more like her counterpart in the second movie rather than the original "Whippet Angel" character who was unnamed. David, the child character from the second movie, makes occasional appearances, though Anne-Marie was, regretibly, never seen. We also see new, TV-show only characters, such as the cult favorite Belladonna, Anabelle's wicked cousin.

The stories are basic and sometimes typical childrens' show fluff with clever twists: cowardly Itchy is hypnotized to believe that he is a superhero, Charlie tries to help Itchy win over Bess in a parody of Cyrano and ends up making things worse, Charlie pretends to be the perfect dog that Sasha says she wants, and so on. The scripts are written in a fun and original way and it does not matter that they are using many timeworn plot outlines. They find a way to make things unique.

Basically, even though the series is marketed towards children, there is also plenty of material to appeal to older folks as well. And that's the mark of a good TV show.
  • After fetching Gabe's horn in ADGTH2, Charlie and Itchy are back in action in a TV series.

Although this would normally make me cringe, the ADGTH Series could be worse, but overall a very good show depending on the episodes you have available to you.

Plot: Depends greatly on the audience. I believe that a younger audience might appeal to it more than the fans of the original ADGTH, but overall isn't nearly as worthy as the original (even ADGTH2 had a great plotline in my opinion). But ya, the show does have it's moments, and when you get down to it, they really aren't that bad.

Art: Aye, need quite a bit of work. Although the production wasn't made by the original people, it's pretty decent (it's hard to top Don Bluth animation anyways).

Characters: What I like about it is that they didn't change the characters too much in personality (except for Charlie, but that's mainly the fault of ADGTH2). It's impossible to do a character rating for this show since they're spinning it off from the movies, but ya, I like the newer characters (dude, Belladonna just...rocks). It's also great to see Dom and CNR back to doing their characters (Itchy and Killer) as well as Sheena Easton (Sasha), and although Steven Webber wouldn't be my first choice as a Charlie, ya, he's good enough to pull it off. The elements of his voice are still present.

Overall, this is a great show (especially with Belladonna) that is slightly underappreciated for the wrong reasons. However, it could use a bit of a tune-up.
  • It was okay....

7.9
    A knock-off from the movie and the straight to video sequel. The sequel was far off from the original movie, and the series was far off from both of them, which kinda made the situation sadder. But it was a cute charming series for kids with cute characters and a nice way of conveying the moral of the story. So, I was the greatest, but it was okay enough and sometimes kinda cute.
  • It's okay if you liked the movies following it.

This show is overally okay to watch, but there are many flaws in it. For example, the animation is terrible, the character's voices have changed ever since the original "All Dogs Go to Heaven" movie(which now have terrible voices and loss of personalities), uninteresting plotlines, and it's not a very funny show. The show is not as appealing as either of the two movies, much less the original film. Did they really have to waste their time with this? The sequel was bad enough, but this? Also, there are numerous plotholes between this and the 2nd film. Here are the ones I can think of: (SPOILERS coming up!)

-Didn't Itchy stay in Heaven?
    -Isn't Charlie now living with David?
    -Didn't Charlie and Sasha love each other by the end of the 2nd movie?
    -Where did Killer come from?! What is he doing in San Francisco?!
    -Didn't Carface have his soul taken away by Red?

The series really is confusing thanks to these plotholes, and while it is alright to watch once in a while, you wouldn't be missing ANYTHING if you missed it.
  • I liked it very much

It was based off of the movie, and I loved the movies. I guess I can say that because I loved the movies, I really enjoyed this series, though I don't see the series anymore and I do wish that I could. Itchy was always one of my favorite dogs, and the laughter that he gave to everyone was pretty fullfilling as well. I think that if you ever get the chance to watch this show, do so, because you'd really be missing out if you didn't see it. It's fun, and dare I say that cute is actually a good way to describe it too.
  • I love All Dogs Go To Heaven but this show is a big disappointment

I liked the movie I hoped this show would be good too I was glad I get to watch it on Hulu it's about Charlie and Itchy's new adventures and being assigned missions by Annabelle Sure it has some continuity issues with the second movie and I didn't like the sequels very much but I still gave this show a chance I hoped I would like it too bad I don't the plots are dumb and boring *sighs* I'll just stick to the original All Dogs Go To Heaven movie I used to kind of like this show but now I realise how lame it kinda is