All in the Family

Archie and the Miracle

Aired Unknown Nov 23, 1974 on CBS

• Archie decides to become a devout Christian after a narrowly cheating death at work. However Archie's epiphany does not last long.

"Archie and the Miracle" is not only the best episode of season five, it is one of the best episodes of the entire series. I have seen this episode many times in my life and I always laugh myself silly each time. There are many reasons why this episode works so well. The biggest reason is its very well written script. There are great jokes here. Also Archie's explanation of the accident at work which nearly killed him is classic. James Cromwell gives his best performance as Stretch Cunningham in this episode as well. Cromwell almost became a regular on the show because of a contract dispute with Carroll O'Connor. While I think it is good the issue with O'Connor was resolved, this episode showed that the alternative may not have been so bad. This episode is just as great today as it was the day it premiered on television. If you have not seen it already, I highly recommend you do.
  • Carol o conners First full episode after contact dispute.

Norman lear was going to kill archies charachter off if he didnt sign a new contract and put strech cunningham in his house this i dont think would have worked and the show probally would have went off the air after that season or next.
    Norman would have been smart just to go without archie and revolve the show around jean stapleton she was the barney fife the niles frasier the george caznatza gracie allen she was hilarious and some of the other characters escpicialy george jefferson were good also but strech cunningham in the lead role please gimme a break.