All in the Family

Archie's Bitter Pill (1)

Aired Unknown Nov 06, 1977 on CBS

• Part one of a two part episode sees Archie deeply depressed because Archie's Place is not doing any business and bill collectors are calling. Archie soon turns to pills to combat the depression.

I found it rather difficult to put into words just how this episode is one of the best not just of the season, but of the entire series. One thing that is quite easy to say is the late Carrol O'Connor gives his best performance of the series here. The final scene at the bar when Archie comes crashing back to reality will stay with you long after you have seen this episode. Jean Stapelton is just as tremendous in this episode with yet another excellent performance. The episode also has the right amount of laughs as well. Classic episode.
  • This is the best episode of All in the Family!

Alot of people aren't familiar with this episode, however it remains my favorite. The first 15 minutes are hilarious, while the second half is so moving, so incredibly sad. It cements Carrol O'Conner as the greatest actor that has ever graced the small screen. I wait with baited breath for this season to be released on dvd, so all of my friends can see what I've been raving about. Archie's charactor reached heights of complexity never imagined in a movie, much less a sitcom. My favorite performance by an actor.