All in the Family

Edith's Conversion

Aired Unknown Nov 10, 1973 on CBS

• Edith begins attending mass at Irene Lorenzo's church and getting literature on Catholicism leading Archie to believe Edith is looking to convert.

I would not call this episode a classic like "Archie is Branded" or "Sammy's Visit" mainly because it's pretty predictable from the start. It's a forgone conclusion that Edith never intended to convert to Catholicism. However what makes up for the is the abundant amount of laughs. The best laughs focus around Gloria preparing Frank Lorenzo's horse meat recipe. The scene where Mike gives Edith a hint as to what's for dinner ("The Camptown racetrack five miles long....") always cracks me up. The late Bernard Huges' appearances on the show as Father John Majeski always added to the particular episode's enjoyment. Majeski, though he was only seen a few times always had well written parts. The final segment where Archie finally confronts Edith about what's going on helps cap off the episode. As I saod previously "Edith's Conversion" is no classic but it is definitely worth seeing.