All in the Family Forums

CBS (ended 1979)

Most controversial episode

dan_plotz

[1]Apr 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    What was the most controversial episode?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

geoellis2

[2]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 38
    Off the top of my head I would say the one when Edith suffers an attempted rape. The one when they go to California and find that Mike and Gloria are split up hit people hard as well.

459westernstar

[3]Jan 18, 2007
    • level: 3
    How about the one when Archie makes friends with some jerks who are into serious violent hate crime activity. Archie does not clue in that they are like that til later, at first he thinks they are just a bunch of guys who have similar political beliefs, harmless. Then Archie sees that they are fundaMENTALists who burn crosses. Archie tries to leave the group without offending them, but they won't let him go easily. Archie then says he is "part soul brother" or something like that, since he received a blood donation from a black person, so he can't be part of the group. He defies them!! I was proud of him at that moment, even when he feared his own safety, he stood up to the creeps. Archie rocks! Even the Meathead would be proud!

blackula19

[4]Mar 11, 2007
    the hate group episode stands out, but so does the whole transvestite story arch that ended in death and for its time, i'll wager the epsiode when a deserter visits them was probably very polarizing

MARIE62485

[5]Mar 24, 2007
    • level: 10

the rape episode is the most controversial episode ok guys.''

that when mrs.bunker almost got rape on her birthday at the bunke's house ok guys.''

blackula19

[6]Mar 26, 2007
    i don't know, she averted disaster in that one and there was that whole scene where she burned him and the crowd got a happy moment at the end, but some of the other episodes mentioned just ended with a more unsettling feeling, like when they killed of the transvestite character (was he named Bea?) the one's that don't wrap up so nicely were probably more controversial

KillerBebe001

[7]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 2

blackula19 wrote:
    i don't know, she averted disaster in that one and there was that whole scene where she burned him and the crowd got a happy moment at the end, but some of the other episodes mentioned just ended with a more unsettling feeling, like when they killed of the transvestite character (was he named Bea?) the one's that don't wrap up so nicely were probably more controversial

MARIE62485 wrote:

that when mrs.bunker almost got rape on her birthday at the bunke's house ok guys.''

Both of you have a point. For this subject matteer to be on television at the time of this program was inconcievable, today, you can say "Yeah, edith didn't get raped, big deal" But to show an attempted rape on tv, or also to have a transgender murdered for being who they are. I can come up with the episode where archie and jefferson got to get together to stop a puerto-rican family from buying a house o the block. that too could be a contriversal one. It was blatantly racist, and it showed in the episode how realestate people would use, as it's called block busting techniques to take over a neighborhood.

to pick one episode as the most contriversal is extremely hard to do. It depends on what side of the coin you're on, and how you se life through your own eyes.

KillerBebe001

[8]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 2

blackula19 wrote:

MARIE62485 wrote:

Both of you have a point. For this subject matter to be on television at the time of this program was inconcievable, today, you can say "Yeah, edith didn't get raped, big deal" But to show an attempted rape on tv, or also to have a transgender murdered for being who they are. I can come up with the episode where archie and jefferson got to get together to stop a puerto-rican family from buying a house o the block. that too could be a contriversal one. It was blatantly racist, and it showed in the episode how realestate people would use, as it's called block busting techniques to take over a neighborhood.

to pick one episode as the most contriversal is extremely hard to do. It depends on what side of the coin you're on, and how you se life through your own eyes.

AlexKrycec

[9]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    Definately the attempted rape of mrs. edith bunker. I about cried when I saw that happen.

charmedancer

[10]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 12
    Thanks guys! I'm doing a report on this show for my History class and my thesis is "What impact did All in the Family have on America?" I'm exploring the controversial aspect of it now and happened to stumble upon this topic. What luck! Just thought I should say thanks!

Hulkamaniac14

[11]Jun 16, 2007
    • level: 17

459westernstar wrote:
    How about the one when Archie makes friends with some jerks who are into serious violent hate crime activity. Archie does not clue in that they are like that til later, at firsthe thinks they are just a bunch of guys who have similar political beliefs, harmless. Then Archie sees that they are fundaMENTALists who burn crosses. Archie tries to leave the group without offending them, but they won't let him go easily. Archie then says he is "part soul brother" or something like that, since he received a blood donation from a black person, so he can't be part of the group. He defies them!! I was proud of him at that moment, even when he feared his own safety, he stood up to the creeps. Archie rocks! Even the Meathead would be proud!

That group was the KKK. (n/s if you knew, butjust making a note of it for the ones who don't.)

mikeny99

[12]Jan 27, 2008
    When that guy tries to rape Edith I would say. That was tough that episode.

tvking1

[13]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 42
    The series itself was controversial since its inception, and was intended to be. As for the most controversial (not necessarily offensive) episode, the two mentioned, The Rape and Klan episodes, stand out. Another one might be an early episode, when Archie opens the door and sees a swastika painted on it. Some guy visits them, apparently a militant Jew or something, and gets blown up in his car at the end. I don't know if that was all that controversial, but I remember how eerie it seemed to me when I first saw it as a boy.

millerem99

[14]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 51

The Draft Dodger stands out to me as the most controversial. When things come to a head at the Christmas dinner table and they had to bleep out what Carroll O'Connor actually said, you could hear a pin drop, both on the set and in our living room. That was not only the moment that defined where the nation was, but the lines were drawn between duty and will. For that Gold Star father to forgive the actions of the draft dodger and invite him to eat dinner with him was equally powerful.

I also love how only Edith can persuade Archie to relinquish the torrential emotions he's battling and re-join the others at the table.

Edited on 03/20/2008 9:20am

tvking1

[15]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 42

The Draft Dodger episode was certainly controversial, especially at that moment in our nation's history, when draft dodgers were still considered fugitives from justice.

I'm sure I'll think of others. There are so many. As I said, the series itself was intentionally controversial.

millerem99

[16]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 51

Yep, controversy was the epicenter of this series, so it's tough to choose.

I think another great episode in terms of controversy and revealing stark truth came in "The Games Bunkers Play" when Archie isn't even there but everyone else ends up getting on Mike's case and we see that he is flawed just as much as Archie, but his prejiduce is what has come to be termed "soft bigotry" and is accentuated by his hypocrisy.

Inglewolf

[17]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    I'd definitely say "Edith's 50th Birthday, Part I", where Edith is attacked in her home. Like I've seen someone else post elsewhere, watching what happened to Edith is like watching it happen to your mother. And I've seen every All in the Family episode and will continue to do so for the rest of my life...except that one. I have it on tape but never watch it and when it's on in reruns I switch channels. That to me is the ultimate in "controversial".

SUSIEW040170

[18]Apr 6, 2011

To BLACKULA19 the name of the tranvestite was Beverly Lasalle ;-)

SUSIEW040170

[19]Apr 6, 2011

tvking1, you are SOOOOOO RIGHT!!! try making a tv show that controversial now days!!! Fat chance!! I do love the show though!