All in the Family

Gloria's Shock

Aired Unknown Oct 26, 1974 on CBS

• Sounds familiar

Mike and Archie have a heated discussion about social and environmental issues, which results in Mike stating that he wants to have no children. This news comes as a shock to his Gloria, who was never informed of her husband's opposition to having a family.
    Politically, my father and I disagree on many levels, so in many ways we can relate to All in the Family, with him being in the role of Meathead and I sharing more of Archie's political leanings (although for mostly different reasons). My dad and I both agree on the merits of this show, however, and watching this episode we noticed how many of the themes of the 1970's - more than 30 years ago - are the same issues being discussed and fretted over today. The earth hasn't succumbed to the effects of mankind ten years later as Meathead supposed it would in this episode, which aired in 1974, yet it's still a popular notion today. It was interesting watching this episode 36 years after it originally debuted and only months after one of my girlfriends informed me that her primary concern as a parent is her daughter growing up with smog. The more things change, the more they stay the same, I suppose.