All in the Family

CBS (ended 1979)

millerem99

All in the Family Fan Reviews (69)

• The Best Show Ever

This is the most intelligent, funniest and best show ever made. I wish there were more TV programs of this caliber.
  • The Best and Funniest Ever

I love Lucy is my second choice,but all in the family is still my favorite .I never missed an episode when I was a kid,and like Lucy can see it over and over and still love made as funny as this today .All 4 actors great,story lines controversial and favorite episode on tv of all time,Sammy Davis Jr.

Visit,laughed from beginning to hear in ranked number 13 on the funniest tv episode of all time ,think it should have been in the can't they make shows this funny new

compares to this .
  • A well crafted show.

It was probably difficult to do a show like this from an acting point of view since many of the characters were very different than the actors who played them. A classic show made in an era when such shows were possible. Not made by people who were overly concerned about getting their faces on magazines covers. It was a show of its times that dealt with many issues that took place in those times , unlike sitcoms today that basically avoid anything controversial in favour of plot lines like boy meets girl, girl meets boy, boy meets ostrich, etc.
  • One of the Greatest of all times

This show is one of the best sitcoms of all time in my opinion.
  • All in the Family focuses on life at 704 Hauser Street in Queens. There we see the life and times of Archie Bunker, his wife Edith, daughter Gloria and son-in-law Mike. No subject, politics, race relations, sex, is taboo in the Bunker household.

All in the Family is definitely one of the greatest sitcoms ever produced. It was a show that was the first to take on such taboo topics as race, religion and politics and do so with no boundaries. The great cast and excellent writing are another reason why All in the Family remains so popular more than 30 years after it ended production. Many of the popular sitcoms that exist today owe their sucsess to All in the Family.

• perfect

this is such a hilarious sitcom! I like it a lot. Archie Bunker is a hilarious character. The show isn't too adult oriented or anything, but it is really hilarious. Archie often argues on subjects with Mike "Meathead" Stivic, or his daughter Gloria, or wife Edith. Funny show. I don't watch it a lot but I have yet to see an episode I did not like a lot or I did not laugh at. Really hilarious, my overall grade for this show is an A+, just an all around funny, good show, I recommend to anyone who likes classic sitcoms
  • Time Capsule Material

All In The Family is considered by many to be the most politically and socially charged show since the birth of televison. I usually laugh at comments such as this - but in all honesty it's the truth.

With such hot topics as culture clash, racism, women's liberation, and the Vietnam War among many others - All In The Family should be considered America's first reality television program, as the show is very much true to how life really is.
  • Everyone has an "Archie" or "Edith" in their family or at least knows one.

This was a groundbreaking, wonderful show from the mind of Norman Lear. I love alot of his shows, but, All In The Family is one I can relate to. I have a couple uncles who were like Archie and an aunt who reminded me of Edith. One of my favorite episodes is "The Longest Kiss" because it starts out with an argument over Gloria being allergic to lima beans and ends with everyone doing something crazy when Archie finally arrives home and opens the door. The look on his face is hysterical. I can't imagine anybody else playing the four main characters as wonderfully as Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner did. All in The Family was such a success that two equally terrific and funny shows were spun-off. They were "Maude" and "The Jeffersons". Bea Arthur played Edith's cousin Maude Findlay in a two episodes. Norman Lear liked her so much, she got her own show in 1972 and in 1975, George, Weezy and Lionel were also spun off into "The Jeffersons" because they were so well liked as the Bunker's neighbors. Because it is released on dvd and aired on TVLand, many generations of fans can enjoy it.
  • Very great show, very political, couldn't be done today. Unintentionally led to the Reagan Revolution as a show that was supposed to make fun of conservatism actually led to its rebirth.

All in the Family was considered to be one of the best shows on TV, and Norman Lear, the creator, was during its run hailed as a genius. All the regulars in the show are well known (Rob Reiner, Sally Struthers, Jean Stapleton, and of course the late Carroll O'Connor as Archie.) Even got the Jefferson's started. Very highly rated and critically acclaimed.

However, the show had critics, and after 35 years or so, the critics look like they were right. The show has not had the legs as some of its contemporaries, like MASH. The premise of the show was Archie, a complete bigot (in just about every way) complaining about the state of the world in the 70's. He was supposed to be a relic, clutching onto an idealized past where men were men and people knew their place. The theme song was famously "those were the days". He was always battling with his liberal daughter, his tired-of-his-ways wife, and son in law (Reiner) who constantly challenged his beliefs. Norman Lear intended Archie to be a fuddy-duddy buffoon, a relic of the past in the glorious afterglow of 60's radicalism.

Critics pointed out the show was too clever for its own good. The show was a big hit, but not for the reasons Lear thought. Most of the viewers did not see the satire and instead related to Archie. The 70's were not a good time to be an American. Oil shocks, the decline of manufacturing, and defeat in Vietnam and later Iran hostages, plus the cities (especially pre-Giuliani New York) were filled with immorality and urban decay.

People saw Archie as a frugal, blue collar, hard working member of the "greatest generation", disgusted with what "modern society" has wrought. They agreed with Archie. Plus Reiner's character was, unintentionally, a pre- caricature of a dirty hippie. Unemployed, thinking he was smart because of college education but without accomplishment, dirty, fat and sloppy. Sally, Archie's daughter was an empty headed, whiny brat.

Between Archie and the 70's, people chose Archie without the racism. Perhaps did as much to usher in the Reagan revolution as Carter's incompetence and Reagan's speeches. Quite the unintended outcome from a show that wanted to make fun of conservatives.
  • I really like the show because how funny racism could be so ignorant and funny. Showed that Carroll o Connor was a great actor he went from being a racist and judgemental about everything. I thought the show was funny.

5.2
    i liked all the old shows like all in the family and the jeffersons because it showed two sides the bunkers the white side and the jeffersons and the black side of racism. Edith was hillarious too she loved the hell out archie especially when he use to call her dingbat. and told her to stifle it. Gloria and Mike was hillarious too especially when mike and archie use to get into arguments about racism and political issues. It was a great show about racism but it was funny. I really liked it and it showed that Carroll o'Connor was a great actor he played a racist and then he played whiteman that was interested in a black woman in the heat of the night.
  • a show that show how a father can be such a biget and showed how it can be funny. and make you laugh time after time.

all in the family such a really well put togeather classic archie bunker and his family he showed how biging a begit and sorta mean to his wife can be really funny and at that time the show came out people were used to that kinda funny ness they were you to seeing family shows the leavit to beaver and the andy grith show and lucy this show came in and changed things brought out funny ness were people could say that is out rages why is he saying that. it was well put togeather had so many funny moments were he was kissed by a black guy and the look on his face could make you cry and laugh at the same time. i love this show and still watch the reruns and have all the boxsets.
  • An amazing show!

Every show needs a character who is rude, cynical and extremely oppinionated. The character in this show is Archie Bunker. He has many beliefs, some of which are quite insane but he is funny in what he does to get what he wants. Edith Bunker, Archie's wife and who he calls Dingbat, is a wonderful, caring character with a heart of gold. Although she doesn't always know what's going on she comes up with great contributions to the show. Not to mention her amazng singing voice. Gloria and Mike are young enough to accept new ideas and so their beliefs differ a lot from Archie's which causes many arguments and debates. All-in-all, this show is wonderful with great lines and quotes, some amazing actions and some very touching scenes that really get to the heart. This show will live in the hearts of people forever.
  • Perhaps the greatest show of all time.

Or one of them, at least. It was crude, controversial, daring, extremely taboo. But these factors made changes to the television industry itself (along with all other Norman Lear programs). Racism, abortion, swearing, and women's rights were always prominent issues that Archie Bunker would try to have opinions on. In nearly every episode of the series, there's an argument, usually consisting of Archie. Speaking of Archie Bunker, one of the great characters of television, was extremely opinionated on things he didn't understand. For example, in the episode 'Archie is Branded', he calls civil rights 'Communism' because he can't think of anything better to say. His stupidity is part of what makes the show so great...the entire family's stupidity, really. Edith and Mike always tend to have their airhead moments (especially Edith). Mike was the very opposite of Archie, a hippie who had a very left-winged disposition. He was married to the Bunkers' daughter, Gloria, who shared his liberal views. She was the most sensible out of all them, and usually ended getting up in the middle of fights with her husband and her father. Edith did everything for Archie, but he always treated her like a dog, often telling her to 'stifle it'. Well, I'd better wrap this up. All in the Family was, and still is, the most important and influential show in television history, and is only outranked by I Love Lucy (in my opinion).
  • Just great!

I remember watching this a few years ago when it was being aired on television. I'm with the teenage generation, so I did not grow up with this, but I can understand the greatness of this. When I watched this, I loved how great the acting was and how perfect it was at giving out its laughs. This, along with many other shows in its time was a very memorable program. I will, as well as many others, will probably never forget Archie's "Get out of my chair, Meathead." Nor will I forget Mike's activism. It's definitely something that I wish oould come back or be placed on DVD. If it was, I would definitely watch it.
  • This was a great show.

All in the Family was a great show. It was about a family, the Bunkers, going through life with some comedy mixed in. I have watched every season and every episode that there has been. Although there are a few episodes that I did not like, this show was a perfect 10. I would recommend this show to anyone who wants to have a good laugh. While watching they will also see how nomatter what may happen to you in life, your family will always be there for you to help you out. I cannot wait for season 7 to come out onto DVD.
  • Bigot, unwilling to change, daughter, wife, job, absolute happiness for one man.

Centered around the time when people were to stubborn to change their ways, of course I mean Archie. A simple bigoted house man who believes that the womans duty is to do all of the house work, whilst the men are out making a living. The father/husband is one who, like many people, looked and based people upon their appearance. This was relevant when the Jefferson's, who got a spin-off from this show, came into the neighborhood and well were pretty much the only African/Americans there. Because Archie was a bigot he of course despised that there Jefferson. Then there was meat head, I mean Michael. Archie didn't like him because he was smarter. But even though Archie was a bigot its what attracted people to the show.
  • family adventures of Archie Bunker.

This has got to be one of the most incredible shows that ever aired! Its incredible how the viewer can laugh and cry within a 30 minute time range! The superb acting skills of the entire cast is wat added to the enjoyment of the show. From Archie's fumbling of words, to Edith's way of keeping the peace, and even to " MeatHead's" liberal ideologies reflected what was goin on in american society at that time and even now. The range of topics this show covered was incredible! Racism, abortion, communism, economy, government, and even computers were just a few. Amazing show which i feel wil never be replaced.
  • This show represents the greatest in cultural comedy history. Outspoken, cutting edge, and way ahead of its time, All in the Family represented the views of both right-wing conservatives and leftist-hippies in a comical and culturally relevant way.

This family stlye sitcom features the Bunker's and their new son-in-law battling each other in daily life, as well as the changing times in New York during the turbulent 1970's. Archie confronts African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and society as a whole with his distorted view of traditional morality. The creators manage to surf the fine line of neutrality as they poke fun at both left and right wing philosphies. Much more than just a poignant comedy, All in the Family made a statement every week, and created some of the funniest situations any comedy has ever come up with. What was truly most successful about this series was its ability to seemingly represent each niche of viewers, and have those viewers believe that they were asserting their correct points of view onto the supposedly inane other set of viewers.
  • An ornery, loud mouthed, middle aged man and his ditzy wife along with their also ditzy daughter and liberal son in law living in Queens in the early 70s. Occasional celebrity guest stars.

I don't think anyone can argue that All in the Family was completely original. Norman Lear couldn't have picked a better Archie than Carroll O'Connor. As funny as it always was, there was always the lesson to be learned, part of Lear's genius. The show seemed to get funnier each week, until Mike and Gloria left the show. The show really went downhill from there. Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers added more to the show than I had ever realized. The tension between Archie and Meathead was nothing less than spectacular. Endearing Edith, dumb as dirt, but smart how it really counted, in the heart department, when she died on the show it spelled DOA for Archie's Place. I'll keep watching the reruns as long as they keep putting them on the air. I never get tired of them and hope I never do.
  • I always found it hard to wait for the next episode. I feel honored that I was able to watch this show from it's inception. After watching All In The Family my way of looking at life was never the same.

All In The Family was a milestone in TV history. A show that gave America a true sense of freedom, in a time when hope was diminishing. Unabashed, relentless, baudy, this show left no one out as far as poking fun at, and gave no one a break. The cast of this show had a chemistry that you rarely see on TV to this day in a comedy show. It's too bad that the innocent but truthful humour of All In The Family is lost in the realm of "Reality TV" and what people seem to think is situation comedy today. It's no wonder that I would rather watch House, or 24, or even CSI (I love CSI) than any of the so called situation comedy's at the present time. I miss you Archie, Edith, Meathead, and Little Girl...I even miss Archies easy chair (what a great episode that was) RIP.
  • a classic gem!

all in the family one of norman lears best comedies of the 70's. for 8yrs it had laughter, from archieball, edith(dingbat) gloria(daddy's little girl) and of course mike(meathead). from the first show to the last it had racism, bigotry, and of course personnel issues. the main one which nevered aired on tv or shown is the one where edith passes away. that episode was the most in depth than any other. when carol o connor and jean stapleton sung the song 'those were the days'thats exactly what the long running series was all about.
  • I like how all the characters get along in All in the Family - Archie, Edith, Mike and Gloria. I like the interaction between Archie and Edith.

My favorite episode of All in the Family was Edith's change of life. This was a very funny off the wall episode. I liked how Edith went from meek to yelling at Archie since that was not usually her persona. It was funny seeing Archie's reaction to her change of life. There was also other funny episodes but Edith's change of life was my favorite episode. I always try to catch the repeats of All in the Family on TVLand. I just wish the shows were on more often. All in the Family is a CLASSIC.
  • All in the Family: Crazy Funny

All in the Family is a popular and acclaimed American situation comedy that was originally broadcast on the CBS television network from January 12, 1971 until April 8, 1979, when the final original episode aired. In September 1979, the show was retooled and given a new name, Archie Bunker's Place. With that title, the sitcom lasted another four years, finally ending its run in 1983.

Produced by Norman Lear and based on the British television series Til Death Us Do Part, the show broke ground in its depiction of issues previously deemed unsuitable for network television comedy, such as racism, homosexuality, women's liberation, rape, breast cancer and impotence.

The show was wildly popular, and ranked #1 in the yearly Nielsen ratings from 1971 to 1976. Only one other program, The Cosby Show, has tied All In The Family in terms of years at the top of the ratings. In 2002, it ranked #4 on TV Guide's list of the 50 greatest TV shows of all time. TV Guide also named the show's protagonist, Archie Bunker, TV's greatest character of all time.

Currently reruns of All in the Family are aired in the United States on TV Land.
  • Spawned so many series and was THE landmark series of the 1970s.

Archie was an uneducated but hardworking simplistic man. Was he racist? No. A bigot? Somewhat. Prejudiced? Definitely. Of course the same could be said of George Jefferson. Edith and Louise Jefferson were the opposite accepting almost everyone as they were making them natural friends. In reality Archie and George were 2 sides of the same coin. Over time both of them evolved and became more accepting of people different from themselves but at their core they still preferred to associate with people like them. Of course in the real world that is still as true now as it was then. Great strides have been made in the areas of race relations but people still tend to form close relationships between people like them (race, religion, political view, ect) but in the end we all tend to get along in America rather well - as compared to other nations.

Above all Archie was a typical blue collar WW II veteran whos primary mission in life was to provide for his family. No matter how bad things got Archie and Edith stuck it out. These days marriages are disposable and as soon as things get tough the marriage ends. Till death do us part doesnt mean a whole lot these days. People like watching Archie and Edith even now because they wish todays marriages were more like that of the Bunkers.

Though the series probably went on a season or 2 too long it ended on a positive note before morphing into Archie Bunkers Place which was ok, but nowhere near as good. The disasterous remake of this series making the family black (704 Hauser) shows what happens when you try to remake such a landmark series. Hopefully they will never try this with MASH (AfterMASH was bad enough).
  • When a show from so long ago still has the ability to stimulate conversation, provoke thought and even, shock the audiences of today, you know you are in the presence of genius!

The impact of "All in the Family" on American culture is hard to accurately measure, but all would agree it is profound. Like no other show before it, AITF dared to tackle social situations that were considered by most to be "too taboo" for TV.

Racial tensions, bigotry, narrow-mindedness all rolled up into one Archie Bunker. Surrounded by his family, Archie showed how a misguided and bigoted man could be lovable.

It was more than just "in your face" because AITF was willing to leave issues without resolution. Archie never really found full enlightenment along the way. For every step forward he took, he still showed how rigid he could be.

Featuring television's first same sex kiss (between Archie Bunker and Sammy Davis Jr.) the shocking humor of this brilliant show challenged viewers to throw open their own bigotry and prejudice to the bright light of day.

The Jefferson's (George and Wheezy) were born here. So was Maude (Bea Arthur). They all got their start interacting with lovable, frustrating, ignorant and offensive Archie. Other classic episodes have Archie "meeting God" while dilusional and trapped in his basement. Or the time that he saved a woman's life, only to find out that "she" was a he! It is almost impossible for me to think of any other show that has done (or is doing) more to challenge the stereotypical mindsets that limit us.

Brilliant television done with style. If you haven't seen any episodes, do yourself a favor and watch. If like me you have seen them, watch again and remind yourself that we are "All in the Family."
  • A true classic of T.V.

There's nothing more that can be said than already has been said. It is the classic of the classic.
    This show is on TV Land all the time, so if you haven't seen it yet, watch it. It might be kind of difficult to get into, because it's so different, but once you like it, you'll know why it's such a classic.

Archie Bunker is the star. The most famous character in all of television.

Edith Bunker: Archie's wife. A classic TV character. You wish she was your mother.

Mike Civic: always argues with Archie because they have totally different views of everything.

Gloria Civic: Mike's wife and Archie and Edith's daughter. Mike's hot wife who, although not as favored as the other 3, is still funny and has common, everyday, marital issues with Mike.
  • Made bigotry into a joke!

Archie Bunker debunked the stereotypes that a lot of people still have about others. This sow wasn't my favorite Nick at Nite classic, but it's up there with some of the best. Seeing Archie deal with all kinds of people he thought were unsavory, inlcluding blacks, Jews, homosexuals, Polish people, etc was strangely appealing. It was funny also to see Archie be put into situations where the people he discriminated against would challenge his beliefs-like anytime Edith's cousin Maude would come on and make fun of him or the infamous kiss between him and Sammy Davis. It was a really aware show that made a lot of statements that were ahead it its time.
  • All in the Family is one of the most important sit-coms in the history of American television

Its easy to underestimate the importance of All in the Family,especially today in the more open environment,and liberal standards.But there was a time when couples had separate beds,and you couldnt even use the word pregnant on a sit-com.All in the Family changed all that.I would argue that the only sit-com more important,historically is I Love Lucy.Before AITF,political ideas were not discussed,gimmicky series abounded,and black people were only ocassionally seen,and life was hunky dory outside.In January 1971,the country was introduced to Archie Bunker,bigoted,loud mouthed,brusque and conservative common man.Norman Lear intended to show the folly of being such a close minded fool.And,lets face it,the show as funny as all get out.With experienced veteran writers and a great director,not to mention perfect casting,it was assured of succeeding.Who knows what have happened if the show wasnt funny.It probaly would have failed and TV might not have changed for several more years.What I find amazing is how funny the show still is today,after 35 years.Some shows have not aged as well,especially after multiple viewings,but AITF has stood the test of time.Of course,eventually the show evolved and Archie mellowed significantly,but the quality remained high until the final season,following the departure of Mike and Gloria,which is a testament to how well the 4 actors worked together.The only negative is that Carroll O'connor tried to keep the show going as Archie Bunkers Place w/out Edith,even though by then the character of Archie had pretty much run its course.But its hard to not consider its influence.Every great sit-com that has followed in its wake,owes at least a tiny part of its existence to AITF.Even today,the famous opening is spoofed in the animated sit-com FAMILY GUY,a series that pushes the envelope as much as any sit-com today,which it couldnt have done w/out AITF.Whoop-de-doo,indeed!
  • This show is an classic.As the song says "Those were the days......"

This has to be one of the best classic show! That I had seen in my life! I mean I wasn't born.When this show had started.But I do love the show.I liked it when Archie calls Michael "Meathead" that is so funny! Carrot O Conner.He does an good job playing as Archie Bunker.Edith makes me laughed too.The cast are funny and I must say they do an good job of acting and all that kind of stuff.I rally love this show its the best.I always watched it whenever its on tvland.
  • this show was way ahead of its time

this show was way ahead of its time. it delt with serious issues. i love this show and i allways have. its wonderfull and it is a classic show. the character of archie was the funniest charecter ever. i loughed evry time he callled the charecter of mike "meet head". it was way ahead of its time, thats for sure. no question about it that this is one of those that is actually a classic. it was one of those shows that i am glad that it was around because it made a diference in the world tha we have.
< 1 2 3