All in the Family

CBS (ended 1979)

All in the Family Fan Reviews (70)

• About All In The Family

This is another show that is vulgar. I cannot stand this show at all, and I also cannot stand the lyrics for this show

Not only are these people racist, but they desire a time where there was war and people suffering and times were less than ideal, and they really don't describe it as it actually happened at all.

All In The Family and Sanford And Son, and all of those other low-budget shows are just about a bunch of old people complaining about how things have changed. Who would want to watch something as stupid like that?!

The jerks on the show should realize that no amount of complaining and wishing things were like they were a long time ago will ever change anything, and no matter what they think, in any amount of time in the past there was always something bad happening, and should have been glad that those things are now over.

Those were NOT the days.
  • The Best and Funniest Ever

I love Lucy is my second choice,but all in the family is still my favorite .I never missed an episode when I was a kid,and like Lucy can see it over and over and still love made as funny as this today .All 4 actors great,story lines controversial and favorite episode on tv of all time,Sammy Davis Jr.

Visit,laughed from beginning to hear in ranked number 13 on the funniest tv episode of all time ,think it should have been in the can't they make shows this funny new

compares to this .
  • I really like the show because how funny racism could be so ignorant and funny. Showed that Carroll o Connor was a great actor he went from being a racist and judgemental about everything. I thought the show was funny.

i liked all the old shows like all in the family and the jeffersons because it showed two sides the bunkers the white side and the jeffersons and the black side of racism. Edith was hillarious too she loved the hell out archie especially when he use to call her dingbat. and told her to stifle it. Gloria and Mike was hillarious too especially when mike and archie use to get into arguments about racism and political issues. It was a great show about racism but it was funny. I really liked it and it showed that Carroll o'Connor was a great actor he played a racist and then he played whiteman that was interested in a black woman in the heat of the night.
  • Pretty good.

Archir Bunker is a pretty good show, and has alot of funny moments. I can't say i agree totally with either Archie or Meathead, as they are both pretty radical. Gloria aka "Little Girl" is funny, and Edith is my favorite. A truly sad episode is where Edith dies and Archie remembers her as he goes thru their bedroom. Edith is a hilarious scatterbrain, but uptight Archie is just a little TOO lacking in patience with his dizzy wife, because she is well meaning. At least Mike is kind, understanding, and alot more mellow. Joey was a really cute addition too. My favorite line is where Edith and Archie recieve a Christmas card for a friend, and she says "Look Archie! It's the 3 wisemen in a blue convertable!"

I like AITF, because, unlike Maude, at least they could bring a poilitical point to light without being so darn biased.
  • Good to know it brought up iffy topics

Which, for me, politics, social, economy, and religion issues should be talked about. Anyway, its too early on to say much

1 random ep (June 2015) Antenna TV
  • Very great show, very political, couldn't be done today. Unintentionally led to the Reagan Revolution as a show that was supposed to make fun of conservatism actually led to its rebirth.

All in the Family was considered to be one of the best shows on TV, and Norman Lear, the creator, was during its run hailed as a genius. All the regulars in the show are well known (Rob Reiner, Sally Struthers, Jean Stapleton, and of course the late Carroll O'Connor as Archie.) Even got the Jefferson's started. Very highly rated and critically acclaimed.

However, the show had critics, and after 35 years or so, the critics look like they were right. The show has not had the legs as some of its contemporaries, like MASH. The premise of the show was Archie, a complete bigot (in just about every way) complaining about the state of the world in the 70's. He was supposed to be a relic, clutching onto an idealized past where men were men and people knew their place. The theme song was famously "those were the days". He was always battling with his liberal daughter, his tired-of-his-ways wife, and son in law (Reiner) who constantly challenged his beliefs. Norman Lear intended Archie to be a fuddy-duddy buffoon, a relic of the past in the glorious afterglow of 60's radicalism.

Critics pointed out the show was too clever for its own good. The show was a big hit, but not for the reasons Lear thought. Most of the viewers did not see the satire and instead related to Archie. The 70's were not a good time to be an American. Oil shocks, the decline of manufacturing, and defeat in Vietnam and later Iran hostages, plus the cities (especially pre-Giuliani New York) were filled with immorality and urban decay.

People saw Archie as a frugal, blue collar, hard working member of the "greatest generation", disgusted with what "modern society" has wrought. They agreed with Archie. Plus Reiner's character was, unintentionally, a pre- caricature of a dirty hippie. Unemployed, thinking he was smart because of college education but without accomplishment, dirty, fat and sloppy. Sally, Archie's daughter was an empty headed, whiny brat.

Between Archie and the 70's, people chose Archie without the racism. Perhaps did as much to usher in the Reagan revolution as Carter's incompetence and Reagan's speeches. Quite the unintended outcome from a show that wanted to make fun of conservatives.
  • Not exactly a bad way to past time. Although I have had more enjoyable moments.

Not exactly a bad way to past time. Although I have had more enjoyable moments. All in the Family does have its high points although I certainly wished there were more of them. It left me bored not long after I was exposed to it and that certainly is not saying something entirely positive about it. Nonetheless, it is very well packaged so a 7 rating I feel is very fair.
  • 10 OUT OF 10 for its first 3 years. Then it sinks...

Seasons 1-3, no contest. THAT is the formula. The show unabashedly contronts topics. From sexism, racism, homophobia, every little nuance is found to confront, and confrontation was the goal.

Season 4 starts to show Mike is wrong... and more typical sitcom shlock is introduced. The debates becoming tangential, family "drama" becoming more and more the norm.

Season 5 continues the trend, with a few gasps of sublimeness ("Gloria's Shock" being by far the best story since season 3), but it is this season the Jeffersons come into their own, and with aplomb...

Season 6 and onward are lacking, apart from a Christmas story, Rape's attempted rate, Mike and Gloria leaving (first to California, then what happens after that...), and a transexual we all grow to love then cry over... those moments were great, but what surrounded them were flat.

Of course, season 4 onward we occasionally get product placement malarky. Mike would not approve, but at least early on it wasn't unabashedly vulgar. The worst offender is in a Xmas episode (season 7 or 8?) where Mike and Archie bicker about a boxing game for toddlers, as Archie bought it for Joey - go figure. Trouble is, MINUTES are devoted to the camera doing a big close-up of the game in action, with the box in sufficient view. Disgusting.

Season 6 also has Mike wanting a child despite a big diatribe in "Gloria's Shock" that should have had people concerned, the figures are spot on... Mike also gets treated to reverse discrimination!

• A well crafted show.

It was probably difficult to do a show like this from an acting point of view since many of the characters were very different than the actors who played them. A classic show made in an era when such shows were possible. Not made by people who were overly concerned about getting their faces on magazines covers. It was a show of its times that dealt with many issues that took place in those times , unlike sitcoms today that basically avoid anything controversial in favour of plot lines like boy meets girl, girl meets boy, boy meets ostrich, etc.
  • a show that show how a father can be such a biget and showed how it can be funny. and make you laugh time after time.

all in the family such a really well put togeather classic archie bunker and his family he showed how biging a begit and sorta mean to his wife can be really funny and at that time the show came out people were used to that kinda funny ness they were you to seeing family shows the leavit to beaver and the andy grith show and lucy this show came in and changed things brought out funny ness were people could say that is out rages why is he saying that. it was well put togeather had so many funny moments were he was kissed by a black guy and the look on his face could make you cry and laugh at the same time. i love this show and still watch the reruns and have all the boxsets.
  • A very comical TV show

I like to watch this show with my Grandfather thats the reaon I started watching this show, but it is as good as the other classic TV shows that I watch, The reaon I watch this show all the time like my favorite TV show is because of the how good they pull it off and also because it is extremely funny and when I here or see something funny on this tv show I can't stop watching this great classic! I think that all the classic Tv shows like this and The Dukes of Hazzard should all begiving awards for the passion that the casts had in doing these show's and some of the actors should've been giving awards for the comedy they did on the shows! YEEHAW!
  • The one that changed TV. It covered many important issues.

Let's go back to the late sixties. On televixion, there are black and white shows on. They couldn't do anything which might be considered controversal. All of the shows had the husbands go to work, the wives stay home and do the housework without complaining, and perfect kids. If the children get into trouble, it's usually because they broke their mother's vase, broke a window, told a lie, or something else like that. There are a few of those kinds of shows I like, such as "I Love Lucy."

Then, in 1970, a man, Norman Lear, pitches the idea for a comedy which does the exact opposite that was on TV up to that point. One where the main character, Archie, is a biggot, and makes a lot of politically incorrect statements about black people, Jewish people, and just about any person who is different than him. He has a wife, named Edith, who is the kind of wife that was on the shows before it. Archie is always telling Edith to "Stifle," and when she doesn't, he mimes killing himself. Archie's daughter and her husband Michael are living with Archie and Edith. Archie and Micael are always getting into political arguments because Archie is a conservative, and Michael is a liberal. Through the series, the show covers such issues as rape, miscariages, losing faith in God because somebody was killed for their appearence, forgery, and the KKK, just to name a few.

CBS took a huge risk allowing this show on their station, but it definately paid off. It lasted for nine season. It had many spinoffs, including "Archie Bunker's Place," which was a continuation of "All In The Family." When this show started, it was the beginning of a revolution of television, and it has a huge impact on TV.
  • Made bigotry into a joke!

Archie Bunker debunked the stereotypes that a lot of people still have about others. This sow wasn't my favorite Nick at Nite classic, but it's up there with some of the best. Seeing Archie deal with all kinds of people he thought were unsavory, inlcluding blacks, Jews, homosexuals, Polish people, etc was strangely appealing. It was funny also to see Archie be put into situations where the people he discriminated against would challenge his beliefs-like anytime Edith's cousin Maude would come on and make fun of him or the infamous kiss between him and Sammy Davis. It was a really aware show that made a lot of statements that were ahead it its time.
  • Bigot, unwilling to change, daughter, wife, job, absolute happiness for one man.

Centered around the time when people were to stubborn to change their ways, of course I mean Archie. A simple bigoted house man who believes that the womans duty is to do all of the house work, whilst the men are out making a living. The father/husband is one who, like many people, looked and based people upon their appearance. This was relevant when the Jefferson's, who got a spin-off from this show, came into the neighborhood and well were pretty much the only African/Americans there. Because Archie was a bigot he of course despised that there Jefferson. Then there was meat head, I mean Michael. Archie didn't like him because he was smarter. But even though Archie was a bigot its what attracted people to the show.
  • Just great!

I remember watching this a few years ago when it was being aired on television. I'm with the teenage generation, so I did not grow up with this, but I can understand the greatness of this. When I watched this, I loved how great the acting was and how perfect it was at giving out its laughs. This, along with many other shows in its time was a very memorable program. I will, as well as many others, will probably never forget Archie's "Get out of my chair, Meathead." Nor will I forget Mike's activism. It's definitely something that I wish oould come back or be placed on DVD. If it was, I would definitely watch it.
  • Spawned so many series and was THE landmark series of the 1970s.

Archie was an uneducated but hardworking simplistic man. Was he racist? No. A bigot? Somewhat. Prejudiced? Definitely. Of course the same could be said of George Jefferson. Edith and Louise Jefferson were the opposite accepting almost everyone as they were making them natural friends. In reality Archie and George were 2 sides of the same coin. Over time both of them evolved and became more accepting of people different from themselves but at their core they still preferred to associate with people like them. Of course in the real world that is still as true now as it was then. Great strides have been made in the areas of race relations but people still tend to form close relationships between people like them (race, religion, political view, ect) but in the end we all tend to get along in America rather well - as compared to other nations.

Above all Archie was a typical blue collar WW II veteran whos primary mission in life was to provide for his family. No matter how bad things got Archie and Edith stuck it out. These days marriages are disposable and as soon as things get tough the marriage ends. Till death do us part doesnt mean a whole lot these days. People like watching Archie and Edith even now because they wish todays marriages were more like that of the Bunkers.

Though the series probably went on a season or 2 too long it ended on a positive note before morphing into Archie Bunkers Place which was ok, but nowhere near as good. The disasterous remake of this series making the family black (704 Hauser) shows what happens when you try to remake such a landmark series. Hopefully they will never try this with MASH (AfterMASH was bad enough).
  • Any show that feels it blazed a trail lies in the wake of All In The Family.

All In The Family took televison to a new dimension and no other show has ever been able to match it. Not that any show dare try. Making us squirm as it made us look at ourselves in a full length mirror. We sometimes don't like what we see, but we keep looking because what we see is the painful truth. The truth does hurt sometimes, but adding humor to it helped us endure pain.
  • much better the 1nd time around

I remember watching this show when I was younger and thought it was funny but not as funny as it is now on reruns. I guess I didn't understand at the time the inside to all the jokes. As an adult it is all clear now what some of the very funny jokes were meant to mean. Archie was your typical make from back then. Edith was your typical housewife of her times. Much better the second time around.
  • Archie Bunker is a riot.

The television show All In The Family is a ground breaking show in T.V. history. All in the Family pushed the envelope in areas that had never been addressed before. The subjects of pre-marital sex, racism, religion, politics, neglagence, alcohol, drugs, and narrow mindedness were all explored on this show. The main character, Archie Bunker, was a very narrow-minded, "christian", repuplican who did not like people of color or of other religion. This type of character had never been allowed on the air and that is why this show revolutionized the evening sitcoms. If you are a fan of Carol O'Conner or comedy, I think this show is for you.
  • Mixing both comedy and drama, toped with great acting, this show presents us the life of 2 diffenrent generations couples.

This show is able to mix, like only a few can, a good sense of humor (both situation humor and character) with the drama and human touch a series like this needs in order to pass its message.

This message (and the way it's passed to the audience) is supported by the excellent writing also by the extraordinary performances by the actors, especially Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) and the amazing Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker).

O'Connor acts out his character (Archie Bunker, an annoying, "patriotic", to a certain point close-minded father) so well he makes you admire and "hate" (maybe "hate" is too hard to describe it but I'll stick to it) him at the same time. You "hate" Archir Bunker, he get's on your nerves, he annoys you...and you HAVE to love the way O'Connor performs the character - it's so flawless...!
    In the end Archie is a good man, a friend of his friend even though he does have a hard time showing it to people.

Stapleton to put it???...PERFECT in her role as Edith Bunker, a tipical American Housewife and mother. She's that person you love...putting on a fools face she's actually smarter and more intelligent then she likes to show - but when she does it just moves you. She's just a really nice, sweet person who would do anything for those she loves.

Though I haven't mentioned neither Rob Reiner nor Sally Struthers doesn't mean I dislike them - on the contrary...but I must also admit that it was both Stapelton and O'Connor who I admire the disrespect meant, though.

I consider this to be a MUST for all comedy/drama knows when to be funny and when o be serious, handling both the ordinary aspects of life and other not so ordinary (some of them quite serious), such as raping...

Not to be missed...

• a classic gem!

all in the family one of norman lears best comedies of the 70's. for 8yrs it had laughter, from archieball, edith(dingbat) gloria(daddy's little girl) and of course mike(meathead). from the first show to the last it had racism, bigotry, and of course personnel issues. the main one which nevered aired on tv or shown is the one where edith passes away. that episode was the most in depth than any other. when carol o connor and jean stapleton sung the song 'those were the days'thats exactly what the long running series was all about.
  • One of Norman Leer's great sit coms.

A great family sit com from the 70's dealing with a lot of social issues with comedy thrown in. There was no doubt that Carroll O'Connor was the star of the show as Archie Bunker. His wife Edith was played very well by Jean Stapleton. Their daughter Gloria was played by Sally Struthers and her boyfriend / husband was Michael Stivic who was played by Rob Reiner. Reiner is the real life son of comic genius Carl reiner and has gone on to become a great movie director. The show would talk about tabo issuses such as womens rights, race issues and homosexuality. A great classic show that is still pretty funny to watch today.

• All in the Family: Crazy Funny

All in the Family is a popular and acclaimed American situation comedy that was originally broadcast on the CBS television network from January 12, 1971 until April 8, 1979, when the final original episode aired. In September 1979, the show was retooled and given a new name, Archie Bunker's Place. With that title, the sitcom lasted another four years, finally ending its run in 1983.

Produced by Norman Lear and based on the British television series Til Death Us Do Part, the show broke ground in its depiction of issues previously deemed unsuitable for network television comedy, such as racism, homosexuality, women's liberation, rape, breast cancer and impotence.

The show was wildly popular, and ranked #1 in the yearly Nielsen ratings from 1971 to 1976. Only one other program, The Cosby Show, has tied All In The Family in terms of years at the top of the ratings. In 2002, it ranked #4 on TV Guide's list of the 50 greatest TV shows of all time. TV Guide also named the show's protagonist, Archie Bunker, TV's greatest character of all time.

Currently reruns of All in the Family are aired in the United States on TV Land.
  • one of the best

this show had such a cultural impact that it is not really been matched since.. Archie Bunkers attitudes defined a generation, but they were exposed as misgiven and the biggest bigot on Tv began to change, it almost gave permisson for the older generation to stop and consider what the younger folk were saying,, this show was ground breaking .. and still very enjoyable today it does not get old or very out of date
  • One of a kind. . .

This was the first show to break away from the normal sitom format of a crappy gooey sticky sweet family, and show everybody what a real family was like. It stayed #1 in the Nielsen's several seasons, but during its later seasons, the ratings dropped slightly. However, I think they probably dropped most of all during the shows last season after Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers left the series. It just wasn't the same, and the character of Stephanie could not fill that void.
  • An amazing show!

Every show needs a character who is rude, cynical and extremely oppinionated. The character in this show is Archie Bunker. He has many beliefs, some of which are quite insane but he is funny in what he does to get what he wants. Edith Bunker, Archie's wife and who he calls Dingbat, is a wonderful, caring character with a heart of gold. Although she doesn't always know what's going on she comes up with great contributions to the show. Not to mention her amazng singing voice. Gloria and Mike are young enough to accept new ideas and so their beliefs differ a lot from Archie's which causes many arguments and debates. All-in-all, this show is wonderful with great lines and quotes, some amazing actions and some very touching scenes that really get to the heart. This show will live in the hearts of people forever.
  • This show represents the greatest in cultural comedy history. Outspoken, cutting edge, and way ahead of its time, All in the Family represented the views of both right-wing conservatives and leftist-hippies in a comical and culturally relevant way.

This family stlye sitcom features the Bunker's and their new son-in-law battling each other in daily life, as well as the changing times in New York during the turbulent 1970's. Archie confronts African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and society as a whole with his distorted view of traditional morality. The creators manage to surf the fine line of neutrality as they poke fun at both left and right wing philosphies. Much more than just a poignant comedy, All in the Family made a statement every week, and created some of the funniest situations any comedy has ever come up with. What was truly most successful about this series was its ability to seemingly represent each niche of viewers, and have those viewers believe that they were asserting their correct points of view onto the supposedly inane other set of viewers.
  • All in the Family changed the way TV sitcoms were looked upon forever.

All in the Family was the show that changed the way TV Sitcoms were made forever. Starring Carrol O. Connor, All in the Family made its debut in 1971, much to public disapproval. The show was about a man who was very racist and political, until his son-in-law finally gets him to change his ways. The producers told the cast that if the crowd loves it, say hello to the beginning of a new TV era. However, if the crowd disapproved, the show would be immediately cancelled. Luckily, the crowd loved it, and All in the Family went on for eight seasons.
    The Theme Song:

Boy the way Glen Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
    Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
    Those were the days.

Carrol O. Connor (who played Archie Bunker) was married in the show to Jean Stapleton (who played Edith Bunker). The couple had one child named Gloria (Sally Struthers) who was married to Michael Stivic (Rob Reiner).

All in the Family was altogether a GREAT show. It currently airs daily on TVLand.
  • A pivitol moment in television.

"All In The Family" was a pivitol moment in television - not only did it revive the sitcom format for the 1970's - it also changed the course of television forever. Television sitcoms of the 1950's & 1960's were funny no doubt, but as most people know the characters on these shows didn't really face any real problems. "All In The Family" changed all of that. The characters on the show faced real, everyday issues that Americans deal with. Inflation, unemployment, discrimination, cancer, death, rape, violence. Of course at the center of the show was Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker, a character, of which viewers of the time, had never been seen before on television. Archie was a blue-collar working stiff who had no problems letting his prejudices known to those around him. His wife Edith was played by Jean Stapleton. Edith (who in my opinion is the best character ever portrayed on television) was honest and unbiased against anyone, and although Edith was an old-fasioned wife who catered to her husband's needs, she was not above speaking her mind or standing her ground when she needed to. Archie & Edith had one daughter Gloria (played by Sally Struthers) who had married Mike Stivic (Rob Reiner) who was of Polish descent. Mike's ethnic background was something that Archie had to adjust too - that and Mike was also a liberal and an athiest. These issues became the source of many of the discussions/arguements that erupted between Archie & Meathead (Archie's nickname for Mike; Archie's nickname for Edith was Dingbat). The series first episode found Archie and Mike arguing about the validity of God and the Bible. Other episodes through the years found Edith dealing with menopause and later a lump she disocovered in her breast; Archie's realization that all is not what it appears on the surface in the classic episode "Judging Books By Covers"; Edith's outspoken cousin Maude coming for a visit. Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner left the series at the end of the 1977-78 season. That season found some of the most seriously themed episodes of the entire series including "Edith's 50th Birthday" and "Edith's Crisis Of Faith", which in my opinion are the two best episodes (both hour long/2 part shows) of the entire series.
  • A comedy that wasn't afraid to deal with real issues.

Some people might think All In The Family is offensive and stupid. But I don't think that at all. This is one of the only shows in the history of television that was funny and delt with very serious issues.

Like in one episode (and one of the most well known episodes of AITF) Edith was rapped on her birthday. This is the first time a comedy had delt with the issue of rape. After she was rapped she realized her cake was burning in the oven, she splated it in her rappist face. Getting a laughing roar from the live audience.

In another episode, Gloria suffered a miscarriage. It was delt with beautifully with a touching scene between Gloria and Archie.

This show is a classic and will be shown 30 years from now.
< 1 2 3