All in the Family

CBS (ended 1979)

millerem99

All in the Family Fan Reviews (69)

• Everyone has an "Archie" or "Edith" in their family or at least knows one.

This was a groundbreaking, wonderful show from the mind of Norman Lear. I love alot of his shows, but, All In The Family is one I can relate to. I have a couple uncles who were like Archie and an aunt who reminded me of Edith. One of my favorite episodes is "The Longest Kiss" because it starts out with an argument over Gloria being allergic to lima beans and ends with everyone doing something crazy when Archie finally arrives home and opens the door. The look on his face is hysterical. I can't imagine anybody else playing the four main characters as wonderfully as Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner did. All in The Family was such a success that two equally terrific and funny shows were spun-off. They were "Maude" and "The Jeffersons". Bea Arthur played Edith's cousin Maude Findlay in a two episodes. Norman Lear liked her so much, she got her own show in 1972 and in 1975, George, Weezy and Lionel were also spun off into "The Jeffersons" because they were so well liked as the Bunker's neighbors. Because it is released on dvd and aired on TVLand, many generations of fans can enjoy it.