All in the Family

Success Story

Aired Unknown Mar 30, 1971 on CBS

• Archie is thrilled beyond words when his wealthy friend Eddie Frazier stops by for a visit. However Archie does not know Eddie's success came at a huge cost.

"Success Story" is one of my favorite episodes of the inaugural season. The late William Windom does very well as Eddie Frazier, one of the best guest appearances in the series' entire run. As much as I like this episode, I do have a few problems with it. My biggest problem, probably the only time I would say this about an episode of this series, is Michael. I never understood why Michael held Eddie Frazier in such contempt. Saying Eddie has "no conscience" and being rude to him upon his first meeting. I just did not see any justification for Michael's rude behavior. If a reason were presented I would have at least understood Michael's feelings but not necessarily agreed with them. On the other hand I never understood why Archie and his friends worshiped Eddie as they do. I understand they admire him for his work ethic which has brought him tremendous success, but I don't think that is a reason to put him on a pedestal. The scene where Archie and his buddies sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" was one of the most powerful and emotional of the series as a whole. Michael almost redeems himself in that scene. This episode may not be a perfect "success" but it does succeed enough for me to recommend it.