All Saints Forums

Seven Network (ended 2009)

Discussion for Episode 10.6 'Careful What You Wish For'

scarlettslegacy

[1]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 12

OK, WTF was going on with Bart? His spiel about giving someone attention only to have it thrown back in your face - was he actually trying to blame Annie for being short with him? His ense of entitlement just defies logic.

I really felt for Annie. I have never despised a character as much as I did Bart, and a big part of that is I feel cued to find it ROMANTIC that Bart loves her so much he'll emotionally blackmail her into something so horrible for what, a few extra months at the expense of quality of life? That's not romantic, that's him being a selfish prick She looked so sick and in so much pain, I don't know how he can live with hismelf, let alone turn it around so it's Annie's fault for pushing him away after 'everything he's given her'. I loved how she called him on it when he said 'I want to do stuff for you' and she said 'no, you want me to do this for you'.

Actually kind of liked Zoe in this episode. Could it be they've finally worked out what to do with her - something in between the false nicey-nicess and a hard-nosed b*tch?!?!? I felt for her the way Frank kept talking down to her.

The storyline with Conner weas nicely done, I think Steve and Dan work great together and I think Steve has a nice renegrade streak in him that reminds me a little of Mitch. I was laughing at the bit where he talks his way around Gabby, and I don't usually find their interactions all that engaging.

The storyline with Kimberly and Sandra was brilliant, although I guessed Maunchousen's by proxy within a few minutes (could be I've had an interest in the mental illness for years). It was nice the way they utilised Von and I think Zoe Carredes (sp??) was excellent as Sandra. People who inflict MPB are almost exclusive parents, and they often have a break in logic, so on the one hand, they'll poison their children to get the sumptoms they want, and on the other, be truly convinced their child is sick, and I thought teh actress did a fantastic job of portraying that break in logic.

The scenes with Mike, Frank and the son (name?) were nice, I liked the open ending.

All in all, a great episode, but as usual, taken away from the trainwreck that is the Bart and Annie show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vicious_minx

[2]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 3

Umm, Just Bart being Bart. God I'd love to be Bart, you know where the whole world revolves around you, you can be a selfish prick whenever you feel like, you can emotionally blackmail anyone and then twist it around so you're the victim. I really hope the writers actually have Bart euthanise Annie, that would be great to watch and hopefully knock the little sh*t off his pedastool and hopefully he won't dish out his false hypocritical plattitudes and manipulations any longer. The ending with Von was classic Von and hopefully gave Bart a much needed wake up call.

Definitely agree Scarlett, Zoe is getting much more likable now that the writiers have settled on a two-faced, pompous conniving b*tch. We all knew deep down that was what she was, and now finally she has ditched the fake facade and now hopefully the fireworks can begin. Cannot wait until we see Charlotte's reaction.

Steve is also much more likable as well. I'm glad he and Gaby have distanced themselves apart, as that whole relationship seemed fake, forced and false. It's good to see some actual chemistry (even if it seems like Mitch & Terri version 2.0). Dan and Steve do work well together, though Dan can work well with anyone.

Kimberly/Sandra storyline was extremely well done and due to the different way of filming and writing made me have a lot more interest and respect for the storyline. Agree, Zoe Carides was great in the episode.

Little things that I really liked was that it actually felt like an emergency department where Charlotte and the others were really racing against the clock to try and save Kimberly. Also liked Dan, Steve & Jack working together to try and a solution for Conor.

Apart from Bart/Annie, Mike's storyline really didn't interest me. As if he is going to give a crap now that he has donated a kidney. He never did before.

Though, still a great episode.

scarlettslegacy

[3]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 12
    I don't think Zoe was so much a two-faced b*tch, or at least, if she was, it was a realistic portrayal of a two-faced b*tch. I think they struck a believable balance between loyalty to a former mentor and her own ambitions, especially in light of the fact said former mentor often spoke down to her. I didn't sympathise with her per se, but I found her a more interesting character. I actually WANTED to know what she'd do next, instead of resenting every second she's on screen.

I was thinking today after I'd posted my first comment that Steve and Gabby did kind of have that Mitch and Terri chemistry before they got involved, friendly and respectful and their differences - his cheekiness and willingness to bend the rules, her more seriousness and by-the-book proessionalism - made for farmore engaging watching than any of their couple stuff. I think Steve and Gabby as mates and colleagues has the potential to be a far more interesting dynamic than Steve and Gabby as a couple, and I hope TPTB don't frack that up by going the OTP route.

I liked the bit where Kimberly died anyway, just as Sandra 'remembered'. I liked the hurriedness of it, I liked the way it portrayed such a pointelss waste of life for Sandra's attention. As I said, MPB is a fascinating mental illness and I think the episode portrayed that well.

Yes, I would like to live in Bart's world. His rationale defies logic but it must be lovely to live in a world where you can blab confidential patient information, emotionally blackmail someone who's dying then accuse THEM of being selfish (not to mention the unprofessionalism of dating a patient in the first place!) and still come out thinking you're the hero/hard done by one. I have no idea what TPTB think they're doing with him. I know for a while Andrew was one of the most popular figures on the show and I think they tried to work with that, but the way they've done it, created such an unprofessional, selfish character, I've known people who've stopped watching because they couldn't stand him anymore. All Saints is no longer in the top 20 when it usually was last season, and I wonder how much of it is to do with the increasing loathing I'm seeing for Bart.