All Saints Forums

Seven Network (ended 2009)

Discussion For Episode 11.8 'Beginings'

scarlettslegacy

[1]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 12

The thing with the mysretious preacher could have been done a lot better if he hadn't been treated so dismissively. AS has in the past done some quite classy storylines about faith and disbelief which amounted to 'in God's hands' but this felt like a rush job. Nice to see Wil Traval doing something, though.

Thought the storyline with Mike and Steve had interesting potential. Both recovering addicts not recogising that in each other. LOVED the bit where Gabby asked 'are you ever tempted' and Steve said 'everyday. but he makes it easier.'. Those of you who know my history know I'm qualified to say YES! THEY GOT IT!

Thought Dan's proponsal was really quite sweet. The way Traval described it as 'there's a baby monitor in the room...' made me cringe because it sounded tacky, but they did it in such a good way. I loved the way Zoe, Jack and Charlotte were listening and knew they shouldn't be but had to anyway. It was very sweet and homey and reminded me or a time AS could write such sweet personal storylines.

But... to BAW (because the "Bart/Annie Wreck" bores me). Frank goes from a hectic, short-staffed ED because his precious Barty needs some guidance? No bloody wonder people are sick of him. I'd be ropable if things were as thinly-run as the ED was and the boss went walkies to help out a staff member on a personal problem. Not to mention the fact that staff member is the reason agency staff don't want to work with him. I know it's partly Oliver and his grudge, but I think Frank has a lot to answer for, after so many years of him jacking people off.

Would have given this episode an 8. 5 because BAW dragged it down.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vicious_minx

[2]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 3
    I really, really enjoyed the episode. It had a little of everything. Suspense, laughter, tragedy, comedy & seriousness. It really felt like an old episode of All Saints.

The BAW was BAWring, though thankfully a chapter of it concluded and only a little amount of time was actually dedicated to it. Though seeing Von break down was pretty sad and for me managed to salvage the storyline a little bit.

I thought the priest storyline was handled okay and you're right it did give Jack something to do.

I really liked the tension between Steve, Dan & Mike, especially about Steve and Mike and their addictions. Great tension and for once I actually could see a purpose for their characters. Zoe, as much as I despise her I felt incredibly sorry for her. Now it's either her or Frank. She is conflicted, so she isn't completely spineless. Frank I really did feel for though. He was excellent with Bart and it for him to reach such a hard decision just shows what a good leader he is.

Dan & Erica were good and I thought it was hilarious when Jack, Charlotte & Gaby could hear them. Then they all let out their excitement.

Scarlett, I would have given it a 9.5. I really enjoyed it, though considering the calibre so far this year and the BAW disaster it isn't that high praise.

scarlettslegacy

[3]Apr 3, 2008
    Is that 9.5 before or after you take points off for BAW?

scarlettslegacy

[4]Apr 3, 2008

vicious_minx wrote:
    Frank I really did feel for though. He was excellent with Bart and it for him to reach such a hard decision just shows what a good leader he is.

See, that made me think LESS of Frank as a leader. His team is stretched to the limit partly because of his accumulated actions and he's running off to give personal guidance to one member? No team leader I know would help the one instead of the many in a crises like that. It emphasised that Bart is a priority to me, not that he's a good leader.