Allen Gregory Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for 'Pilot' - 10/30/11

How do you rate this episode?

startug

[1]Oct 30, 2011
    • level: 23

Discuss the pilot of Allen Gregory.

For a first episode, I actually really liked it. It's a show that's gonna start slow, but it's gonna pick up soon. For me, the humor was just pure snappy. I already like it, and I'm giving it five episodes. If the next four episodes are a downer, I'm gonna stop watching. This way I can PROVE I gave it a chance, unlike most people. I think it'll become more successful in the future, like look at Bob's Burgers. It had a bit of a bad start, but it really improved after a couple episodes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

licious23

[2]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 16

As an adopted HIV positive gay male who has a partner of 19 years (over half my life) and an IQ above 160........ I couldn't make it over three minutes into this show. As soon as this (self-described) "intelligent, sophisticated, worldly, artistic and romantic" child utters, "Jeremy has AIDS," (after his father says, "Son, we have something we need to talk to you about.") every pretense for the character is ruined. Here's one reason why: If he (Allen Gregory) is as intelligent as he claims, then he should have assumed/asked "Jeremy is HIV positive" - if he wants to go down that rout. There is a difference, that one of his said intelligence would know. The joke was offensive because it was LCD. The show could (and I hope will) be very funny. I just refuse to laugh at lame jokes that would have been funny to most viewers 15+ years ago. Don't get me wrong… I'm all for a good AIDS/HIV joke, especially ones that should offend me (and hopefully you [who might me reading this]), but are smart. The gay / AIDS stereotype joke is BORING. I might watch the rest of the episode, if I hear enough good things about any future episodes. As for now, my viewing in on pause for this show.

Raccoon1459

[3]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 22
    I liked it. Allen Gregory is a misunderstood boy, who is just different from all of the other kids around him. Maybe if he went to a private school, he wouldn't be treated so differently. I mean, so what if he drinks alcohol. If he wants to, that's his business.

startug

[4]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 23

Raccoon1459 wrote:
    I liked it. Allen Gregory is a misunderstood boy, who is just different from all of the other kids around him. Maybe if he went to a private school, he wouldn't be treated so differently. I mean, so what if he drinks alcohol. If he wants to, that's his business.

I knew I wasn't the only smart one on here. It's actually quite funny, and I honestly do believe that people will turn to like it later on. I'd be sad if it got cancelled.

kanniballl

[5]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 18

I didn't enjoy the Pilot at all.

I can somewhat see what perhaps they were *trying* to do or shoot for, but if so they missed their mark.

The only line I liked from the entire episode was when he was presenting to the crowd and said something like:

When asked how I'd feel about winning a Tony, one word came to mind... pass

The jokes weren't above my head nor was I offended by anything, I just didn't find it funny.

kanniballl

[7]Nov 1, 2011

I do have one question though...

Towards the end, Allen is talking to some black guy. He apparently said something like he walked off the show Bones because he was the only one that didn't think David B would make a good Booth.

Who was that black guy supposed to be?

I started zoning out at that point. The only African American I recall leaving Bones was Johnathan Adams, who played Dr Daniel Goodman.

And the guy that ran the restaurant in the first couple of episodes, that brought you what HE felt you'd like. But that stopped really fast.

SweetMissJaye

[8]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 21

I thought the episode was okay...until Allen met the principal and became infatuated with her. That is just disturbing.

skinsfan05

[9]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 3

This show was terrible. The only way I would watch another episode is if it began like this.

The not sure if i'm gay dad has had enough of the flaming gay dad and kills him and his annoying son then kills himself. Everybody else laughs. THE END

DeadEndInc

[10]Nov 3, 2011
    • level: 2
    I will watch another ep or two to see if it... gets better. However, I really disliked the pilot. I didn't laugh once, I feel very little attachment to any character. Most of the jokes fell really flat and felt like it was trying way too hard to be edgy and ended up feeling forced. If it doesn't get better fast it needs to be cancelled so we can get more episodes of bob's burgers on instead.

ZoneHero

[11]Nov 3, 2011
    • level: 19

THe main character better evolve, otherwise he just going to be a kid-yuppie version of Tidus from FF:X

DOMOJITA

[12]Nov 6, 2011
    i dont know if i want to keep watching this show dusent really feel right, not that i completely hate it but it's just that it dusent feel like a good comedy for me, and why is that one guy takeing all the other characters crap if there just gunna mistreat him so mutch, he shude just be like fine F&^* you dorks i'm out of here have a nice life losers, thats what he shude have dune and left them becouse there sutch d*ckheads towrds him, i wish thay just stuck with the simpsons the cleveland show family guy & american dad insted of adding a show that might not make it pass season 1 or pass 6 episodes like fooly cooly, only flcl was a badass anime with tones of kickass perverted humor this show just seems a little blane, i know it seems like im refering more to the intire show and not just the pilot so yeah the pilot meh wasent intresting enuff, maybe ill give it anuther try maybe it will get better if not then i guess thats it but it's ok if you guys like the show, not saying you shudent so whatever also i wish thay just bring back bob's burgers inlease that kept my intress same with flcl whitch shude have had more episodes and a 2nd or more seasons becouse thats how awsome it was.