Allo! Allo!

BBC (ended 1992)

grahambza

Allo! Allo! Fan Reviews (22)

• Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once!

That was the funniest line in the show, spoken by Michelle, leader of the French resistance. This was a comedy like none other, which demonstrtates that the British are masters when it comes to making us laugh. Set during World War II, 'Allo 'Allo! tells the story of René Artois, a French café owner in the village of Nouvion. The Germans have occupied the village and stolen all of its valuable artefacts. These include the first cuckoo clock ever made and a painting of The Fallen Madonna by Van Klomp (known to those who have seen it as The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies). The local commandant has decided to keep them for himself after the war and forces René to hide the painting in his café. Hitler also wants the painting, and sends Herr Otto Flick of the Gestapo to the town to find it. Flick, in turn, conspires to keep it. The paintings are duplicated by a forger, get mixed up and put in knackwurst sausages. One is sent to Hitler on an ammunition train, which gets blown up, one is hidden, and the other is eaten for dinner by Flick himself. This is just one of the many things that happen in that series. Among the most memorable characters are René, the owner of the café, Edith, his wife and possibly the worst singer in France at the time, Yvette and Mimi, the café waitresses who hated the Nazis, Michelle, the leader of the French resistance, Mousier Alfonse, the undertaker, Officer Crabtree, a British spy posing as a French police officer, who thought he knew how to speak French fluently but was actually pretty bad, the British airmen Fairfax and Carstairs, Herr Flick, the local Gestapo agent, among many others. The cast was very good, and even today they are all regarded as one of the greatest casts to ever been chosen for a sitcom. I give this one a 10 out of 10, for still making me laugh until this day.
  • I still love watching this show!

I still love watching this show! It has been a favourite of mine since the first time I saw a rerun of it when I was younger. It made me laugh every time and I was usually still laughing long after I had turned off the tv. The story lines were well written and even though you knew things would always go wrong when happened seemed to always be unexpected. Comedy at it's finest, the British seem to be able to do it better than any other country. The casting was perfect and the acting was superb. It really was one of a kind!
  • The best show ever!

Allo' Allo' is the funniest show that was ever broadcasted on TV. Extremely funny plot, witty dialogues and the perfect cast is what made it very successful. The occurence takes place during the World War II, in a little French town called Nouvignon. Every character speaks english, but with the different accents. The Germans and the French do not understand eachother, but we understand all of them. The main character, Rene, owns a little cafe. With the help of his wife Edith and two waitresses, he runs his buisness well, and every day something new and interesting happens there. The regular guests are mostly German officers that come to the cafe to relax and have a drink. Throughout the series, we meet many different, wonderful and very funny characters. This is a show worth watching over and over!
  • This is some of the funniest comedy ever. Classic tv... :-)

'Allo 'Allo plays out in occupied France during the 2nd worldwar. The caféowner René is wanted by everyone; by the french resistance, the german nazis, his wife, his waitresses and last but not least the German leutenant Gruber... :-D The series is very silly, but in a really good way. The dialogue is great, allthough it is all in english. When they speak french or german they do so in english with the appropriate accent... :-) hehe... René has his problems trying not to choose sides in the war, but ending up choosing all the sides. This is a funny, funny show, and I can absolutely recomend it to everybody!! :-D
  • Unbelievable...

"Allo, allo" is a true classic when it comes to TV shows. The humor is quite simple, a foreigner trying to adapt in the new country with a new language (which, of course, causes problems in the comunication). The characters are also classical, one is stupid, one is humble and so on... This might make you think "so, what is the special thing that makes it so good?". And, frankly I do not have an answer to that question. Perhaps it is the simplicity and originality, perhaps it's the actors geniality... I suggest you watch the show and tell me what you think! :)
  • Great show! Real classic British humor!

When the French resistance takes over Café Rene, Rene's world get upside down!
    His wife, Edith, who is a great singer (yeah right), two sexy waitress Yvette and Maria and Madam Fanny (Edith's mother) are the residents of this café. The café is visited by French people, the French resistance and last but not least the Germans. Can Rene seperate all his troubles with the resistance, from the Germans, from his wife (he is cheating on her with his waitresses) and what about the Gestapo and the Communist Resistance... and can he stay out the arms of his most horrific German Luitenant Gruber?

The war wasn't that funny as this!
  • perfect comedy.

This show is divine. So many great characters with so many great things about them. Poor Rene trying to deal with everyone so he can have a quiet life with his waitresses. The British airmen hide in the strangest places. Michelle of the resistance has the strangest plans and says them only one. Crabtree is amazing because he gets away with his poor french, Helga excels in overdoing the shouting orders part. The leclerc brothers disguises, the interesting situations the characters get in, the fact that most things will go wrong, how Herr Flick of the gestapo is as much a stereotypical cold unfeeling secret service man as you can get. How they filmed this with a straight face I'll never know. This is the zenith of farce comedy.
  • I liked Allo! Allo! I have been watching it since it first started in 1984. I like Rene Artois played by Gorden Kaye because she used to make me laugh.

Meet René, the most wanted man in Occupied France: Women want his body. The Resistance wants his brain. And the Nazis want his sausage! In a small café in occupied France the harassed proprietor, René, is fighting his own war. With the German Army in residence at the bar, René is risking his neck to aid the Resistance by hiding two British airmen and a radio transmitter upstairs. As if this wasn't enough.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes. They helped to make the story more exciting.

Some of the main characters were Lieutenant Hubert Gruber, Rene, Edith Melba, Yvette Carte-Blanche, Mimi, Michelle, Colonel Kurt, Captain Hans, General Erich and Private Helga.

Each episode is a story on its own but it forms part of the whole story.
  • Now Listen very closely, I will say this only once

What can I say about Allo Allo? Its a really cute British comedy about a few French and German people in occupied France. But I'm sure the synopsis would have told you that. First of all, you must know that there are two downed airmen who have been 'adopted' by the French Resistance. The FR want a small cafe owner by the name of Renee' to help them smuggle it out. He and his rag tag bunch of cafe workers, including his wife, the singer, (who sings very poorly) and two women who want to get with him no matter what. Yvett and Mimi. Also there is Leclare, who comes to the bar trying to help the FR, Michele, the FR leader drops by on occasion, and tells them basically the plot of the episode. Then there is also a British policeman, Crabtree, who has learned French, but since the show is in English, he speaks by confusing prononciations of words. The Germans, of course come next. The two Gestapo agents, Herr Flick and Von Smallhausen of which Flick is the brains and Von K is well... not the brains. Then the's Leftenant Greuber, the gay German leftenant, Colonel Von Strohm, who is always looking to bust the cafe in one way or another, and finally the Itallian war hero, Captain Alberto Bertorelli.
  • Listen VERY carefully, I shall say this ONLY ONCE! Set in occupied France, the program tells the saga of Rene: cafe owner (sometimes), reluctant hero, and romantic fantasy of young women everywhere.

'Allo 'Allo is theater of the absurd, and in its absurdity lies its genius. The strength of the show is its bizzare and unrealistic plot twists and happenings. Perhaps the greatest part of the show is its continuity. One cannot simply pick up in the middle, as references to previous episodes are frequent. It is a saga, and a saga must be viewed from beginning to end in order to be understood and appreciated. Otherwise, one would be lost on references to "The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies" by Van Klump, the 320+ exploding Christmas Puddings, the Onion Sellers, and other such strance, yet delightfully original, occurances.

Simply put, the show is refreshing, original, and just plain fun.
  • One of the funniest shows ever and set against the background of World War II in a Nazi occupied France. It could have been flirting with disaster, memories of grief, lawsuits... Instead 'Allo 'Allo turned out to be comedy gold. Make that a gem. Flawless.

René Artois and his despised wife Edith (played respectively by the great Gordon Kaye and the inimitable Carmen Silvera) run a Café in a small french town under Nazi occupation during WWII. René romances the maids Yvette and Mimi, puts up (or rather does not) with his mother in law's antics, life under the nazis, is co-opted by Michelle ("Listen very carefully I shall say this only once!") to the Resistence, is always trying to avoid encouraging Lt. Grüber's advances, suffering english fools not too gladly. One of them speaks an hilarious franglais. Then there are the british aviators, the radio communications with London ("ze flashing knobs!"). And the Gestapo's Herr Flick, his sidekick and nice Helga, mostly sympathetic to the villagers plight, but with a mean S&M streak regarding her passionate hero-worship for Herr F.
    Just one final word for Edith's singing skills - very painful and surprisingly useful at times. (Carmen Silvera actually is a fine cabaret singer and her role here is more self-mockery than anything else)

It's impossible to give an idea of just how much fun this is. It can make you hurt from laughter. But you have to watch it, a couple of episodes maybe. Then you'll ask yourself where has this gem been all your life? Fear not. It's all out in DVD. Preserved for posterity - as any national treasure should be.
  • I enjoyed every single minute of this show!

I watched this show when i had 12 or 13 years and now i watch reruns and this show is a true comedy. "Allo, Allo" is a show that is just for everyone. If WWII was really this funny i wish i was a french waiter :D But seriously, you must love the story which is pretty simple, but complications and various situations that they made from it, it is realy amazing. French resistance where only women fight, German soldiers that only want to make profit from the war, Gestapo in a very funny way, ugly Renes wife and hot waitreses, who can resist this show!
  • British humor at its best

This is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, it has talented actors and great writing.
    This show makes fun of WWII, which was a terrible war but the show is so good that it does it in a way that everyone has no choice but to laugh at it, it takes the horror out of the story and adds tons of humor.
    The policeman that can talk "french" properly and makes funny mistakes is a good example of the kind of humor that this show has.
    In my opinion this show is a classic, I just wish more shows would take "Allo! Allo!"'s example and make great and tasteful comedy.
  • So funny!

I don't think there are many shows like this, and there should be because this is so funny! The characters and silly things that happen to them are guaranteed to make you laugh. Everyone I know that has seen it liked it and both parents and kids, it's family fun. Aww, it is such a great show, I loved watching it and I even watch it on reruns... so funny.. it's a classic. They don't make them like that anymore...
  • There may just be nothing funnier on TV.

This show is hilarious. From start to finish you're bound to get more than a couple of laughs. I don't know who is the funniest. They're all so great though I think the Englishman who thinks he can speak French is the best. I especially love his "Good Moaning" and of course "I was just pissing by." You couldn't make that stuff up if you tried.

All the characters are great and they just add to the show’s quirky humor. It's kind of an oddball show for humor yet each episode deliver's more and more laughs. A must see for any British TV fan and even if you don't like British TV, watch this show!! It may be the funniest show you ever see.
  • René the café owner's trying to cooperatate with the Resistance while putting on a good face for the Nazis. With an annoying wife, a German military officer with a crush on him and a moron of an policeman for help this isn’t as easy as it looks.

The thing I’ve always found particularly charming about this show is the fact that French people are those who speak English with a French accent whilst if you’re German you have a German accent. But where they really hit a home run is with the English policeman whom is supposed to have learnt French and thus pronounce some English words wrong, so everything he says is hilarious. Other than that I find the whole set up of the show, how it’s more like a play rather than a standard sit-com, to be good. With costume changes and added out-door scenes since it’s all shot in a studio and René’s monologues to the audience to give a résumé of what has happened all add to make the show more charming.
  • This is a great show.

This is a great show. I am from Bulgaria and I watch it on the local TV chanel called BTV. This show is really funny. I like it very much. I missed it in the begining but now I watch it every day. This is realy a fantastic show and for me it is a real classic. This show can make you cry from laughing.In my opinion this show needs to be one of the most popular shows because in it there isn't any violence or agression. It is just funny. Don't miss it. It is very cool and 100% it will make you laugh.
  • I watched this 5 times now and it never gets old or corny - it is always as fresh as the first time.

This show should be entered in the annals of time as the all time classic comedy show - the one that shows the others how comedies should be made.

The show revolves around a caffee owner named Rene who is forced to work for the french resistance and help them a lot although his greatest wish would be to run away from the war torn country with one of the waitresses Ivet and away from his old wife Edith, but he must remain in his small village and balance between helpin the resistance, the Germans and his own interests while staying alive.

If you ever come across a DVD of this or an old rerun don't miss out on watching it, you will regret it.
  • Pay attetion. I will write this only once. I Love 'Allo! 'Allo!

Rene is in the frensh resistence and he's forced to act on most silliest mission Michelle, head of the resitence comes up with. I can't help but laugh about everything that is going on with this show. Every episode cracks me up, and I love it so much I keep watch it, even if it's silly from time to time
  • The fact that this show was already out of date when it began on our screens has helped it to become so successful.

It's rarely seen on terrestrial television any more, but whenever it is aired, i especially make time to watch it.
    Such a funny and 'educating' situation comedy designed in a soap opera like way.
    Each week continues from the last week, constantly battling on against the germans, but also the french and British.
    It's not the best of comedies overall, but it must be at the top of the list for me.
  • What a wonderful show.

An interesting idea of setting a BritCom in France during WWII?!?

I think that it was one of the most original shows EVER put on the air! It's funny how the French are trying to communicate with the English, even though we can understand them both. A great show for people who haven't watch BritComs before to begin with. No tough accents to get around.

A True Classic!
  • How did I miss it the first time?

Back in the early 90s, by local PBS station aired 'Allo 'Allo but I didn't watch it. In 1999 they brought the series back and I thought I would give it a try. How could I have blown off this show the first time? It's one of the funniest series I have seen. I like how they established everyone's language in the pilot episode. Who can speak what language and who can understand whom.

The show is well written and well acted. If you've never seen it give it a try. It's worth a watch.