An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)

Almost Human S01E06: "Arrhythmia" 

It's weird to think about it, but this was technically Almost Human's fall finale. Obviously, the show started much later in the fall than most newbies, but it has also put forth an uneven, sometimes random-feeling collection of episodes. The good news is that "Arrhythmia" was a really strong episode to finish 2013 on and quite possibly the best episode we've seen from Almost Human thus far. 

I praised last week's episode for remembering the show's anything goes future premise and this one did that and then some. This episode provided us with a solid procedural story about the off-market selling of synthetic organs, primarily hearts, and did so with a few enjoyable wrinkles to keep the story interesting. The idea that synthetic organs from deceased people were being sold on to second customers, only with high price strings attached worked really well for me. It was pretty clear early on what was going on and who was involved, but the show has done a nice job in the last few weeks of showing the characters work through the procedure of doing the job without over-relying on technology or simply stumbling into epiphanies after a group chit-chat. 

More importantly, the organ selling story allowed the episode to at least partially engage with some relevant moral questions, which is the kind of material J.H. Wyman shows tend to mine especially well. It made sense that the synthetic organs shouldn't just be destroyed once the original host passed on, but the criminal activity here--implanting a chip that required the new host to pay an increasing amount of money to keep the organ or it would be turned off remotely--forced the team to think about the consequences of their actions just a little bit. The episode didn't push it too far in this regard, but included a couple of brief moments that saw John, Dorian, and company wonder how their choice to shut down this illegal operation would negatively impact the people who had lined up to pay them (admittedly illegally). 

Of course, the conclusion to the story bailed the characters out when the corporation decided to give all those originally denied (because of insurance, so apparently Obamacare didn't really take off in this version of the future) their necessary synthetic organs. But hey, I'm fine with tacked-on happy endings for random episodic characters if it means that Almost Human is going to use its premise to consider at least slightly fascinating questions about the intersections between technology and "right" and "wrong." Even last week's successful clone story didn't quite manage to do that, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the show engaging in that kind of material. It's not especially hard to do, and it gives the procedural stuff more obvious heft. 

Speaking of heft, "Arrhythmia" also smartly went back to another one of Almost Human's strengths, which is letting Michael Ealy do his almost-watery-eyed emotional acting thing while Dorian confronts difficult realities of being a DRN in a world that has already proven that it doesn't really want them. Here, he and John stumbled into another decommissioned DRN model (one that looked just like Dorian obviously) who had been relegated to glorified custodial duty at one of the local clinics. Dorian, both curious and compassionate, convinced John--or should I say annoyed to the point where John just gave up?--that it would be good to bring the other model on a ridealong for the day and of course that went pretty poorly. This story permitted the episode to fill in some important information about what happened to the DRNs when they were decommissioned, including that someone created the Lugar Test to determine if various versions of the model were defective, and that when they got booted from the police station their "minds" were wiped and the necessary pertinent files were deleted. I've said a few times in five weeks that the show could do a better job of filling in its history and world and although you would have expected Almost Human to save the big Michael Ealy acts against himself scenes until sweeps (and not in the third episode, which this technically is), this was a decent step towards that goal. 

And more importantly, the other DRN's presence forced Dorian to think about what could--and I guess, did--happen to him if this were to all go away in an instant. Despite the fact that he's growing closer with John (no matter how much John doesn't want to admit it) and is generally doing a good job as his partner, it probably wouldn't take much for Dorian to get pushed out of the force and either back in the bag or working on mop duty at the local YMCA. The second DRN also showed a commitment to police work that Dorian has, and they were able to share that great moment where the former recollected on the proudest moment of his time as a cop and how it was really all about the human connection. Unsurprisingly, Michael Ealy did a great job acting against himself and bringing different things to the scene in both roles. Again, like the minor wrinkles with the morality of the case, doing stuff like this isn't hard. Just let Michael Ealy loose and he'll do all the work the scene needs. Dorian being forced to wipe the other DRN's files and send him back into manual labor, only to leave the really memorable case in-tact in the second robot's mind, was really simple, but pretty wonderful. 

Episodes like "Arrhythmia" show that Almost Human can make good on its premise without doing big, sweeping serialized stories involving multiple layers of a conspiracy and MacGuffin-esque chemicals, toxins, technology, etc. I'd be fine if the show went that direction, but I'm also fine with this procedural-heavy stuff if this is the kind of episode Almost Human can put together. This one is really starting to live up to the promise of its premise, and that means it's worth coming back to in 2014.

NOTES TO BE UPLOADED

– Despite the screwy episode order, this one still hinted at the possible love connection between John and Valerie, and thankfully didn't show us anything that confused the progression of the pairing. 

– Dorian dropping his eye in John's coffee was pretty funny. No matter the episode, those moments in the car between Dorian and John (and in this case, another DRN) are pretty much money. Almost Human could do three straight episodes of just that and it would probably be awesome.

– I haven't talked much about The Chemical Brothers' doing the score, but I really noticed it in this episode—for whatever reason. It's solid and different enough. 

– Although there might be some budget issues in play, shouldn't we see Dorian do some kind of cool physical feat each week? Bursting through the wall, Terminator-style, was great. 

How'd you feel about this one? And will you return to Almost Human in 2014?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

259 Comments
Comments (259)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
We've really enjoyed every episode so far, and it seems to be getting funnier as it goes along.
Flag
good show, started like fringe but needs to be more than this in the upcoming episodes, if it stays in the day by day cases it will disapoint, even tough is dark and well written cases.
Flag
Almost Human Great start so far!!!
Flag
The aftermath of Dorian 2 getting out of the car was hilarious
Flag
I'm enjoying the show--particular the banter and repartee--and will continue to watch it. Do hope it survives beyond the first season.

Although I enjoyed this latest episode, I was bothered by how Dorian's duplicate was reactivated as a cop. Despite having structure/programming that allows for emotion, Dorian is 1) still a cop and 2) his overarching programming would be for him to follow fairly rigid protocols. Yes, Kennex was giving him grief about bending the rules earlier, but to essentially abscond with a service 'bot without any coordination or approval and for Dorian to unilaterally reactivate his twin as a cop and restore his case files? Nah, I didn't buy it. I wish the writers had come up with a more compelling way for this to have come about.
Flag
The plotline with Dorian and the other DRN was a bit derivative of the Star Trek: Voyager plotline where the Doctor was horrified to learn the other holograms like him were redesigned to be mineworkers.
Flag
I've enjoyed every episode and felt that this one was one of the best so far. I definitely plan to continue watching the show (hope it gets renewed)!
Flag
This was probably my fav episode of the season so far. The interactions between John and the Dorians was great.
Ive heard rumors that AH wont be back next year, I really hope thats not the case as Im really enjoying it.
Flag
I liked the episode. It really felt almost like an episode of Fringe in the first 5 minutes.

I'm not really easy with the way Dorian seems more human than John, or at least more likely to break the rules.

Comedian and emotional buddy is not how I imagine AI tech to be in 30 years....
Flag
agree! I like Dorian but he seems more human then human...almost superhuman;-)
Flag
Good episode, love the chemstry between John and Dorian and the way John and Val are sweet for each other.
Flag
Hey, what can I say, I love this show.. and this one was pretty cool. Hope it gets a long TV life! :)
Flag
Am I missing something here? Did I see the same episode everyone else did--everyone who is praising this one? I thought this episode was horrible. It had a decent level of drama and action, granted, but the plot was ridiculous. I'm not talking about the premise of recycling man-made organs, here. That was interesting.

But come on, one of the two ring leaders of the scam, Henry Mills, is confronted early on for illegally harvesting the organs and he's let go. He's not arrested--he's not even brought in as a witness. He's not watched. His facilities aren't searched--I mean if Kleenex and partner had just hobbled around a bit they may have found the guy's elaborate management hub of death. Henry's not investigated at all. It's as if the cops never found him to begin with. Yet, at the end, he's discovered to be one of the two behind the whole thing. When I saw him later on, I couldn't believe it. What sloppy writing. What horrible police work. I mean, they had this guy, a ring leader, and then they just let him go and didn't do anything at all--zip. Four people or so die because of it. And then through such "wonderful" police work--the guy really should have and could have fled with all his cash no problem, but maybe he overestimated the cops' incompetence--the cops find it was this guy after all, you know, the first one they questioned; and then they just drive up to his place of work, and, conveniently, there he is, sloppily trying to get rid of evidence. The writers must be idiots. The police certainly are.

Plus these ring leaders are supposedly smart enough to initiate such an elaborate scam involving high tech equipment, yet they leave the most obvious trail to follow.

I couldn't believe it. I went back and forth through the episode to make sure it was the same guy. And I still couldn't believe it. No, it can't be him. But it was. Wow. I mean WoW.

More+
Flag
Great point. This plot flaw made no sense at all. It seriously weakened this episode. I am finding it hard to believe this is being done by the same producer from the awesome Fringe.
Flag
I finally watched it. It was decent. :)
Flag
I'll be back
Flag
I enjoyed the episode. As everybody said, Michael Ealy is just incredible. His scenes with his other self were touching and funny too. I find myself really attached to John and Dorian's relationship. Great banter, brilliant delivery.
Flag
They should really stop calling this a Sci-fi show, this is so far just a another cop show with not so interesting cases, set in the future. Sci-fi is about asking the big questions, about philosophy, just because its set in the future doesn't make it Sci-fi. Take 1984, today its set 30 years in the past but its still one of the greatest Sci-fi books ever written.

I'm staying with the show for now, waiting for the slim chance that they realise the potential they have here and start to do something with it, enjoying a few good actors and some good banter here and there but I'm starting to run out of patience.
Flag
No no no it's not The Chemical Brothers doing the score! It's The Crystal Method (and in my opinion they're much much better and I'm a huge fan). This is the song that played when Dorian woke up the first time, in case you ever wondered... Love them.

Anyway, I thought this episode was fantastic and I loved Dorian and the DRN. I thought it did a great job of mixing the humor of having two androids in the car with the emotional weight the second decommissioned DRN brought to the scenes. Loved it.
Flag
I noticed the score more than usual this week too. This show really needs to have the synth music going at all times, it's the future people!
Flag
Thanks for your review. I agree that this was the best episode of the seaon. I have found some of them a bit boring but this was great. I hope there are more like this..

Just curious as to why you didn't mention something that I thought was relatively big deal.. Though the moral questions raised by this ep were interesting, I was left thinking more about the side story with the second DRN, and the fact that the DRNs were decommissioned for a good reason, and they were finally trying to show us why. I thought it was sad when Dorian was realizing that perhaps there was something wrong with them... When he asked the second DRN for help outside, he said he was too scared to do anything (prob not good if you are a cop).. And then when he was relating that story about the boy he said that he broke protocol and went inside and killed the man. I know the man was bad guy but that seems a bit wrong to me.. Anyway that's what I read into the whole thing but maybe it was in my mind!
Flag
I also noticed they hinted at the second DRN's reason for being decomissioned, but never told us exactly why.
Flag
Definitely not just in your mind :) I'm fairly certain, though, that getting to that conclusion will be another slow burning process with each episode giving us small bits as to why the DRNs were decommissioned. From that scene, it seems like the DRNs have some sort of hyper-emotional response to situations where innocents are involved and their already blurry black/white line becomes even more gray. Their response seems more human than android and maybe that's part of why they were decommissioned: they became more human than originally intended.
Flag
You are probably right. It will be interesting to see what other things come out over time. While emotions seemed like a good thing at first, being hyper emotional in high pressure situations isn't. There must be some that aren't like that though.. Like Dorian. I guess we will see :)
Flag
I enjoyed this episode but was left with two things that bugged me:
1. Technically the lady they saved wouldn't have counted as one who would meet the criteria for the replacements because she didn't actually get the recycled heart, although they implied that she was included. I guess they included her for good press.
2. Why did the janitor DRN have time off to drive around with them? He said that his shift was over, but would androids be given time off other than to recharge? Dorian is restricted to working the hours that John is, but you would think they would use the janitors 24x7.
Flag
He was maintenance not a janitor. And even if he was I doubt he'd need to work 24/7 to keep the place clean.
Flag
So... In the Pilot there was that (sorta) big thing going on with his girlfriend, who turned out to be a mystery woman involved in the incident in which John lost his leg, and she was lying all along, but we're supposed to care about her intentions and her hidden agenda... When John erased her message, it seems he erased her from his mind too, and the show just swept that under the rug and forgot all about it. That was a let down.
Flag
I'm guessing it'll pop back up again soon enough. Give it a lil time :)
Flag
Sure thing. I'm just surprised at how good John is at compartimentalizing since he seems to have completely forgotten about her, and will only remember her again when the writers find it convenient. A normal numan being would have at least mentioned her once or twice.
Flag
FYI, Mr. Barker, you're mixing up your techno artists from the 90's with drug-inspired names. The Crystal Method is scoringthe show, not the Chemical Brothers. Please correct it before some poor soul goes looking for "Trip Like I Do" and ends up with "Block Rockin' Beats" instead. ;)
Flag
This show can be one of the best SyFy show if they start to dig in Detective John Kennex past and what made his ex-girl friend betrayed him that may make the show more interesting, I really like the show and I hope Fox will not cancel it.. great show
Flag
This show and Sleepy Hollow are my two favorite new shows this year. So, bring on the new episodes please!
Flag
Whoever playing that pretty lady cop is far from being almost human. She is almost robot. I've seen better acting drones.
Flag
To be fair, the actress in question doesn't have a whole lot to work with (Detective Stahl is about as flat and uninteresting as a character can get), but even so, I've seen a lot of other pretty, no-name actresses who I think could do a better job.
Flag
Agreed. Until the writers/directors actually give her an acting job to complete, we''l be in the dark as to whether this is actually a person. And that's the difference between John Falling in love, and John getting laaid.
Flag
Here is an idea. How about a webisode between season breaks which just shows the car ride scene of John and Dorian? I love those moments.
Flag
I think this episode pointed out to me one of the glaring problems with this show. They don't really commit the the plot of each episode. This by all accounts was a good plot. But it lacked. I thoroughly enjoy the chemistry between the characters, it is great, it is the strongest aspect of the show. But the plots, though interesting, and thought provoking, they don't really follow through with it or well, take it to a place where they should. This could have been a fantastic plot. They had a mysterious woman on the phone that they really could have gone anywhere with. But instead, as per adhering to the procedural handbook they make it the first guy that they encounter. And that is sloppy. It is boring and it is taking these actors and actresses that are quite good and giving them very little but themselves to work with.

This show could be good, hell it could be great. They could take a few lessons from POI or even Sleepy Hollow and make the plots compelling, toss a nod to their viewership, keep it fun and show that the actors are enjoying themselves. They have the whole future that they can do anything with. They can bring to the forefront now in their show the ethical dilemmas that we are going to have to face as a society in the future with the technology we are going to have. They could do so much with that. But right now it is a slightly above average procedural.
More+
Flag
Please, TV people give us some good solid show that worth watching! Walking Dead is dead and ridiculous to the point of no return. Homeland is drowned in complete nonsense and islamophobia. Games of Thrones will start only next year. All these new shows are sort of average cliched shows that have no promise of greatness but potential yawns and cancellation. Almost human and Blacklist and Marvel Agents are all average shows, shows for killing your time, shows that you watch while waiting for next great thing. HBO is giving us irrelevant gangster show and copy of Larry David's pseudo-autobiographical comedy. Even Ryan Murphy's past fall show was better than this procedural tryouts. Where's good shows?
Flag
Seems to me that you know where your good shows are. I've mentioned in another post somewhere that maybe shorter, story driven, slightly more graphic series like Game of Thrones etc have lowered responses/heightened expectations of more 'common' (for lack of a better term) shows like this. Your post seems to go along with that theory. Not everyone needs high drama and constant action. Kinda surprised Walking Dead's on there though, Season 4 has been great thus far (not compared to 1 but MILES ahead of 2 & 3)
Flag
Don't need constant action. Just solid dramatic show that forces you to think and not miss any episodes. I guess I mean serialized shows. But dude these Almost Human et cet are average yawns. Even old Law and Order was more exciting than these shows. Mediocrity rules on TV.com
Flag
Between John and Dorian, how many MXs have they "decommissioned" in 6 episodes?..

Flag
i smell drinking game :)
Flag
Last episode someone said "Michael Ealy has chemistry with anything".. That person was oh-so-correct!! coz Michael Ealy with Michael Ealy..wow!.. Grumpy Karl Urban is really growing on me. He is brooding and grumpy most of the episode but the way Kennex is attuned to Dorian's moods, really sells their partnership.
Flag
I think the chemistry is what they've been focusing on (maybe too much in some people's opinion) but hell, Michael Ealy even has chemistry with HIMSELF!
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. This show is really getting an interesting feel about it. Like Continuum, it's growing into something that makes it distinct from other shows. And I loved how the beginning had a real Fringe feel but different feel to it.
Flag
I agree completely. I think people have reacted too quickly to this show. Fringe started off almost the exact same way and turned out epic.
Flag
I've very much enjoyed watching this show from its first episode, i think it's a pretty good sci-fi/cop scenery with great acting (except the i-don't-remember-her-name good looking woman cop), great futuristic tech stuff, humor, music and plots. I didn't even notice the episodes order mix-up until i came up here to check out the reviews. But i must say that this episode was not as interesting as the previous ones, i found it slow-paced, the resolution of the case was pretty obvious from the beginning (at least to me) yet kind of blury in the end, i thought the 2 "Dorians" idea was cool but nothing much happened with them, i got... bored. And it's not easy for me to say as i've been quite impressed with this show from the beginning and i'm always happy when good sci-fi potential is around. I'm just very surprised of what most of your comments say, that it might be the strongest episode so far, i kinda expected to read the opposite! Maybe that's because i watched Iron Man 3 last night, my expectations moved to higher levels since then ;-)
Flag
The thing that Wyman is great at is ideas that connect technology, morality and mysticism/spirituality. It really showed in Fringe: love that forces a person back into existence, preservation and proof of existence of souls etc. Fringe used to talk about God. Even Walter, the Einstein of our day, who managed to break a universe, talked about God and seemed to believe in him.

I would love if Wyman would do more of this stuff. In the last episode he proposed the idea of technology improving the human brain so that a person could even communicate with the dead. He almost outright confirmed it. We weren't actually told if that girl was just hearing voices or she was really talking with people who have passed. We were left to decide ourselves. This kind of nearly perfect balance is a thing Wyman is capable of and he should more of that.

I am pretty sick of the future = technology = just rational thought, no mystery, no spirituality concept, so the thing Wyman is doing in these two last shows is really refreshing and welcome.

Looking forward to new episodes in 2014.
More+
Flag
Yikes. I'm happy with dealing with moral issues, but please please please leave religion out of it! There's already been enough murder and mayhem, lies and hypocrisy in the name of some god or other.
BTW: I assume when you say "spirituality", you mean "religion". I can't see any difference anyway.
Flag
Reality can only be described in two languages ... metaphor and mathematics.
Flag
Metaphysics, in my novel, is the discipline of describing reality through a metaphorical process using definable words and concepts. It's an adjunct to the mathematical process which realtes to nothing human,
Flag
Well you assumed the completely opposite of what I was trying to say. And nobody in their right mind would ever discuss the various religions on a TV show. I was talking about the things Wyman did in Fringe. Have you watched Fringe?
I meant that I like when Wyman deals with the yet unknown areas of human life, of life itself, the possibility of a beyond and so on.

And as MikeUK123 already said, spirituality and religion are not one and the same.
Flag
Got it. You mean metaphysics, not spirituality.
Flag
No, I mean spirituality.
Flag
"I assume when you say "spirituality", you mean "religion""

Why? They are not one and the same.
Flag
You're probably thinking about "organised religion". I'm more thinking about a more general belief in something esoteric, "referencing some higher power or transcendent nature of reality" (Wiki). To me, a belief in some unproven higher power comes under the heading of religion. - We're just not on the same page, definition-wise.
Flag
I was thinking what I was thinking. The words are clear. The meaning is clear.

This is not about complex definitions. They are two separate things, sometimes the words are used interchangeably by people who don't know better.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think your right the car scenes are the best part if they could transfer that chemistry to the rest of the show they would be
Flag
Wasn't it not Dorianate who dropped the eyes in John's cup?
Flag
Liking Dorianate (maybe just Doriate though) Problems gonna be if more than the one crop up. lol
Flag
Yes Dorianate may sound a little hard to the ears but it was close to Walternate. I hope there won't be another one or he would be nameless!
Flag
Sorry. Should have mentioned I got the Walternate reference. Wasn't having a go, just offering alternatives if we're gonna be naming them (Doriate's sounds like a good collective name lol)
Flag
best line of this very good recap =
"Dorian being forced to wipe the other DRN's files and send him back into manual labor, only to leave the really memorable case in-tact in the second robot's mind, was really simple, but pretty wonderful."
very simple difference between the two diff robot models.

Flag
I wasn't too impressed by the case of the week. I don't think any of the cases has stood out as particularly good, or particularly bad. But maybe that's just because I find the entire concept of a case of the week really boring. The best parts of the show has been the interactions between Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, and I found them to be weaker here than in some of the other episodes. So I don't see a reason to call this the best episode. I just thought it was an average episode.

I really hope that they get some sort of arc going soon, because the procedural stuff is wearing me out.
Flag
I agree as well. I mean sleepy hollow is the eiptome of batshit crazy and silly and yet even with its procedural moments, there is a feeling of coherent story telling. It's too soon to tell but I think as soon as they dont have to deal with the screwy episode order it might get better. I mean it's like every time they have momentum to build character it falls flat and resets itself. eh... we'll see where it goes.
Flag
I agree completely.
Flag
How come they've got humanoid robots, cloning and various other high technologies, yet they drive around in vehicles that appear to be very similar to vehicles now, especially that old van and ambulance from last week.

And it never seems to matter what year it is in these programmes, guns are nearly always the same as todays guns, naff.
Flag
Well, the obvious reason would be that fancy future-y cars (batmobil, fifth element, star wars) are really expensive to make and use in a production. and I would suspect TV-shows simply can't afford anything to fancy on a regular basis.

And I am really glad the have something "car-like", since some of the best scenes take place there :)
Flag
Yeh I understand that reason and agree, it's just that the only significant difference in appearance is the metal wheel trims, they could have done a little more. Watched this weeks episode last night and they can also grow organs from stem cells, and then modify those organs with comuter chips, so given the rest of the technoloogy you would expect an automated transit system or flying vehicles, as you said, like the vehicles in The Fifth Element, or maybe something like the vehicles and transport network in Minority Report, surely that wouldn't be too hard or expensive to shoot.
Flag
Well, i guess I understand where you are coming from. If the had more money to spend per episode they might even go for it.

I just think that they allocate their money where they feel it can do the most good for the feel, look and mythology of the show. And that seems not to be cars but things that are central to the story they are trying to tell.
The car for them seems to be mainly a confined space that gets them from A to B while enabeling the actors to have some great interaction. No real tech-whiz-bang required.
Flag
But I do like the show :-)
Flag
I enjoyed the ep very much! Ealy is Gold!

I did notice the score as well... thought it was really cool and it definitely enhances the show.

I do not know if anybody has mentioned it, or noticed it, but I had an eerie Blade Runner flashback at the very end, before they get the DRN "home"... there was the city and for like 1 second the music brought back the feeling of Blade Runner... like a ton of bricks... It was a film that really impressed me as a kid.
Flag
It basically a buddy cop show set in a flawed utopian future but the opening credits contradict what the show is actually about. The credits suggest we are entering a city like Detroit in Robocop. Gangs roaming the streets, cops being killed on daily basis and crime rates that are through the roof...

Instead we get a clean cut show about moral choices. Crime isn't that bad to start with and pairing human cops with synthetics seem unnecessary.

It's not particularly a good show, but it isn't bad either. Get some continuity going and a larger more dangerous season arc already. And change the credits to something more realistic..
Flag
Watching the domino effect of the second DRN's bumbled attempt to apprehend a former criminal was probably the best part of the whole episode that didn't involve Michael Ealy making a nearly teary-eyed speech showing himself to be more compassionate than anyone else on the show.
Flag
"Double your Dorian, double your fun."

This was definitely the best episode of the series so far and I understand why they decided to air it before the holiday hiatus. The strength of the series is the chemistry between Dorian and Kennex. Other than Rudy, have any of the other characters been featured so far? For me, character likability has always included back story to the point of telling the story. I want to know more going forward.

I am excited about watching more Almost Human in 2014, man.
Flag
Nice touch at the end.
Flag
When the reviewer says it was pretty clear early on what was going on and who was involved are you saying you knew immediately the "morgue" guy in collaboration with the assistant at the transplant centre were the primary bad guys? That's pretty impressive, I thought he did a good job of seeming nervous when the 'courier' was eyeballing him. I didn't guess the doctor was a stooge and unaware of the timers until his interrogation and the sinister conversation the morgue guy had with Dorian at the end impressed me especially after he'd been caught trying to eliminate the body of the assistant.

"Put this guy in a cube" love the cubes!

Did he say Voight/Kompf test [Blade Runner]? No Lugar test.... so do only German named scientists/doctors/individuals come up with tests for androids and replicants? Makes sense I guess. [Kidding]

It did have a happy ending but I also enjoy Kennex's cynical comment that the company did it only to alleviate some of the bad press and their failings to control organs from creation to disposal and its possible consequences.

How much do those android cops cost and did that woman get away without getting a ticket?

Liked exploration of Dorian's attachment to "existence" and the question of time we have left, again similar to replicants with only the 4 year lifespan.

More+
Flag
Turing.
Flag
Episode also had nice little touches like the the monitors and timers the morgue guy controlled had peoples names on tape attached suggesting there had been a good number of victims that had met gruesome ends prior to the current batch of new ones. Don't trust peoples altruistic motives in the future or donate just to buy off an android's silence.
Flag
You're right Corey, although they've messed with the episode order it still works (which is great). I'm definitely watching in 2014.
Flag
No offense, but I'm getting tired of the mentions of episode order. The John/Dorian, John/Valerie, Dorian/rest of the precinct, and Maldonado storylines aren't any in danger of seeming random and are actually progressing (slowly) in growth. Episode order really shouldn't matter anymore. It's starting to sound like Agents of SHIELD in here (with the fact that they've mentioned Coulson's death in 3/4 of the episodes, if not all of them).

I thought this episode topped last week's with no problem. Again, it was a fantastic balance of procedural, with small bits of backstory, and random futuristic ideas/tech. Organ harvesting is a real thing so to ramp it up and make the organs synthetic time bombs was sheer genius. I really want to explore more of the other DRNs, who they were decommissioned by, and the more sinister "Why?" (c'mon...it's definitely not just the Lugar Test). Loving Dorian showing his physical side and acting a little more Terminator/RoboCop.

Can't wait til 2014 and what it holds for this show!
Flag
Man dis is really going to be addictive season for me 2 DRNs plot was really awesome and to express d BOREDOM of DRNs is really very good
Flag
This was definitely a fantastic episode. The case of the week was interesting and the backstory for the DRNs was really great. I hope this is the direction the show is heading!
Flag
I think the reason why the score on this one stood out is that they had this one shot that was full-on Blade Runner, all neon from the top, and they went all Vangelis there for a second. I had the same reaction of "Huh, what was THAT music?", which prompted the whole thing for me as well.
Flag
The score was like an elaborate heart beat, wasn't it?
Flag
Ah, somebody else noticed! Good!
Flag
Yeah I caught that, homage or theft, ehh, either way I dug it
Flag
I've been watching Almost Human since day 1 and I must say, I think it's great. It has fresh dialogue with a cup of humor thrown in. The characters are pretty pleasing to the eye. The stories are decent and the acting is excellent. I will continue to watch every week.
Flag
Random observations

- This episode was clearly out of order, but those moments were relatively small. The two "big" ones being John and Valerie only shared a lingering gaze and the setup for Dorian's fingers in John's coffee gag.

- This show could put aside the asking of any kind of moral questions and just be and excuse for Karl Urban and Michael Ealy to banter back and forth...because that was AWESOME. Their chemistry perhaps too good to be the 3rd episode in.

- Michael Ealy has the best smirk on television.

A solid episode even if I still see no real reason for it to be shown out of sequence
Flag
best smirk on television since the heyday of 2 1/2 men
Flag
On 2 1/2 men, they're more like leers.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members