An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
If Vegas had a line on the plot predictions for Almost Human, you could literally take the opposite of everything I predicted the last 3 weeks - and won yourself a butt load of money. I love to be kept guessing, but where I thought we would have a run of arc heavy stories that would crystallize the mythology, we have really just had "case of the week" episodes - with some hints of the greater story dropped in as if out of a Pez dispenser. So, while I was disappointed the penultimate episode did nothing to further the mythology, we did get a very cool story and quite a few mentions of the Wall. And more fantastic tech. And if you stuck around for the preview of the finale, you saw that Kennex's dad might be the puzzle piece that gives us a much clearer picture. Bear with me, here. inSyndicate wants something in the Police evidence locker. Danica's head was in that locker and now we hear Kennex Sr. stole some robotic parts out of there before he was killed. Nigel needs robotics to finish his DRNs and he is on the other side of the Wall - which is mentioned several times in this episode. We see the loneliness of Kennex which magnifies the feelings of loss and betrayal by Anna. There are a lot of elements that may be coming together next week. And the thought crossed my mind that John's dad isn't dead, but friends with Nigel and the head of inSyndicate. I also get the feeling JH Wyman expected to have a back 9 ordered this season due to the pace of everything. We really have what amounts to a Valarie Stahl stand-alone episode here - which is really odd timing if your season was ending one episode later. But... speculation is fun. But when it is from me, it is probably worthless. So on to the show!

Brian Barrow is unwinding in his condo, owning a piece of technology that should be a constitutional right in the 2040s. HoloGolf:

Even worse than someone talking in you backswing, Brian is brutally attacked and tazed.

The unknown attacker appears disfigured and sees quite pleased with what he extracts from his victim. The victim dies, of what we find out to be a heart attack.

Back at the Batcave, Kennex is avoiding a call from his previous night’s date.

Dorian is more than happy to pick it up and be, well, Dorian.

Reflecting an issue we have today, his date appeared too interested in socializing with the technology around her than with him. Dorian’s easy answer is that John is boring.Which may be true, but we are seeing John reach out for female companionship, trying to get over Anna. And having it all really go sideways on him.

And since there is no such thing as coincidence…

Stahl needs their help.A Chrome died last night (Mr. Barrow) of an apparent heart attack.Chromes are created to be genetically perfect.

John questions whether it could be possible there was an error that resulted in a congenital condition like heart disease.

Stahl won’t have it.“Every box is checked” when it comes to creating perfection. She is certain this is a homicide.

The three of them proceed to the crime scene where Dorian spots a small puncture mark on the victim’s neck. A search for DNA from the wound does not reveal one killer… but SEVEN.

Not all Chromes, but all extremely attractive males. Too much coincidence.

Eric, the name of the man who attacked Mr. Barrow, visits a shady, underground lab (lots of those on this show) and meets up with his doctor…of sorts.

Although Dr. McCants tries to extricate himself from helping Eric, Eric simply threatens to reveal that the good Doctor is practicing with a revoked medical license.

The procedure begins…

Valarie was able to ascertain Mr. Barrow was leaving a club shortly before his death.

As Kennex attempts to leave to go check it out, Valarie informs him she needs to go alone.It is a Chrome Club – and see is certain they will get nowhere unless a Chrome is the one asking the questions.

Stahl arrives at the club with MXs in toe.She is hit with resistance by the queen bitch in charge (QBIC?).

The owner of the club steps in and seems much more willing to cooperate with our genetically superior hottie cop.

And she gets the surveillance footage she wanted.

Back at Rudy’s Lab of Creepy © , a nice piece of tech brings the other heart attack victims (that matched the DNA IDs from earlier) in the form of a hologram that can be manipulated.

These folks weren’t killers, they were all victims that were apparently killed with the same device. The same needle.This is all very important information. But Rudy is pissed. He can’t understand why someone wouldn’t warn him there is someone out there killing beautiful people.

Kennex has a good chuckle…

Breaking the awkward moment, a call from Stahl brings their attention on the footage of the killer leaving the club and following Brian Barrow.

Facial recognition gets a hit. And then another.Every time the footage shows his face from another angle, facial recog gets a hit on another ID. And it just so happens – they are from the group of “heart attack” victims from the DNA matches.

Rudy knows exactly what is going on here. Nanobots have been created that can read and reconstruct facial tissue. The man has had Nanobot Plastic Surgery.

Kennex and Dorian bolt off to visit Dr. Amir – a man who was at the forefront of research into the nano surgery.

What his trials were testing was the ability to use nanotechnology to do facelifts from the inside out. The nanobots were injected into the target area, collected the genetic blueprint, and then were extracted from the donor and injected in to the patient. Juuuust a couple drawbacks. The donor died from cardiac arrest and the patient was commonly disfigured. Otherwise, a perfectly safe and effective procedure! ;-p

Eric was one of the initial trial participants and the doctors involved all lost their license. Eric was horribly disfigured by the trial.

A way to possibly find the person who is still doing this procedure is to find who could possibly have the “Actuator”.

And to do that – Kennex needs to find an old “friend”.

Ah.The car ride.We have been shamefully deprived of one of Almost Human’s best set-ups.Since the case of the moment has a theme of man’s attempt at perfection, Dorian does that Dorian kind of thing and begins to remind Kennex of all his faults.

Oh, how often have I wanted to do and say exactly this to a client…

“Sometimes when you’re doing this…

...I’m not really listening.”

Dorian continues on scene to scene reminding Kennex of his faults. I was especially amused by the mention of his borderline unibrow. A funny little exchange between the bros about Dorian talking to Kennex’s “Smart Bed” and Kennex wondering aloud if they were in a relationship. Urban and Ealy just have amazing chemistry and I am not sure I would still hold the enthusiasm I have with anyone else in these roles.

They arrive at a street party where Dorian is a bit appalled at the Rock em Sock em robot Fight Club.

Kennex sidles up to a spectator…

And then, out of the blue, busts her face, much to Dorian’s dismay.

As the figure collapses, an interesting thing happens – with shades of Total Recall:

Kennex’s informant, DiCarlo was hiding within the Exosuit. With his usual charm, Kennex gets DiCarlo’s cooperation – and the name of a doctor that would have interest in an item such as an Actuator.

Arriving at Dr. Curtis McCants lab, the boys break in to find the good Doctor jacked up on adrenaline and putting up one helluva fight…until his heart explodes.Once in the lab, Dorian is able to piece together what Eric was trying to achieve. His avatar is the perfect composite of all the faces of the victims…minus one.

They now know who the next victim will be.

A call to Stahl and the next face on the list is taken into protective custody.

Back at the Justice League, Kennex has a revelation. Looking at the map of the homes of each of the victims and realizing they all have the new 3D imaging on their driver’s license…

…Kennex sees that they all would access the same office of the DMV. He posits the murder could have been an employee of that DMV. They have a match.

Proceeding to his residence, they find Eric has been chatting frequently with a woman online. From the description Dorian gives John, he recognizes the woman in her window in the building across from Eric’s apartment.

Unfortunately, Eric is already there. He meets Judy for the first time.

He was hoping to have his face perfect by the time they met, but he knew that his time could be running short.

And as life is full of irony, he finds out that Judy is actually blind. The love they developed over the months by talking and sharing would have been enough. But Eric’s “Body Dysmorphic Disorder” pushed him in to a dangerous procedure. Now disfigured, he went to any lengths to try to repair his damaged face.

Kennex and company busts in…

…and Eric bolts. He is distraught. His obsession with perfection was rooted in his desire to be loved. The irony that he would have been regardless of his face was too much for him to bear,

The case is closed and the day is wrapping up. Part of the loneliness inherent in Kennex after Anna’s betrayal was brought to the fore with the despair of Eric. Dorian senses it and asks him if he wants him to come along and “watch him drink”.

But then there is Valarie Stahl. Kennex gets out of himself and asks her if she has ever been to his favorite bar, Leo’s.

And as it turns out – she loves the place and was just on her way there…

…with her date from the Chrome Club. Kennex has been Chrome Blocked. (“Chrocked”?)

But there is hope. As Stahl turns to leave…

But tonight, Kennex just has himself. Alone.

I realize how procedural this episode was and the disappointment I mentioned in the introduction I am certain is shared by all of you watching and reading. But IMHO, what an amazing case of the week! I was caught up in the story to the point I didn’t even think about the overall story arc that I wanted answers to. I would have expected this to be more in the mid-season area, not the penultimate episode for the season. After writing the recap, I am even more convinced this was written with the expectation they would get a back 9 order. I loved the fact we had essentially a Valarie-Centric episode, but again was confused it was put here. Unless my theory is correct. There are so many wonderful loose threads right now – it would be a real shame if it tried to tie all of them up in the finale. Since FOX didn’t allow a full season, I am hopeful they give them a second season to flesh out all the wonderful things we have been introduced to. I’ll post the ratings here at the bottom when they come out. If it stays above a 2.0, I think we are going to be ok. Keep in touch here on the Community and I will keep you updated!

It’s been FUN, folks! I hope next week is not our last!

- Edshrinker

71 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, after expecting a wal- or at least season - arc story I was sort of disappointed for the first 10 minutes. But you are right, it was a good "case of the week" for AH. If I hadn't had that expectation, it might have been one of the best standalones they did.
Now, after this episode, I am afraid that they will not have the time in just one ep to bring the whole setup to a satisfying season conclusion. And that raises expectations for the next ep even more, so basically they can only (at least partially) fail.

Over all, I have to say, with the change of ep-order and not getting a back 9 this show had (has) some fundamental problems that I am not sure it can overcome and get a renewal. Which is to bad, because the basic premise and the main cast is really good and interesting.

And I still HOPE we get a renewal.
Flag
Great re-cap. I really wish I'd been reading these from the beginning, it's easier to get caught up with a show when you're discussing it afterwards. I have to say that up until the latest episode of each show I thought Intelligence was the better of the two, but this episode of Almost Human was better than anything I've seen from Intelligence (and the last episode of Intelligence was terrible).
Anyway, I'm glad we finally got a Stahl episode, although the ending was a little too obvious. But the plot with the nano-tech cosmetic surgery was a fantastic idea. I'm looking forward to the next episode, I'm just not looking forward to the seemingly inevitable Series cliffhanger! (I really hope I'm wrong.) I really believe that Almost Human can be a decent replacement for Fringe as long as Fox gives it a chance. I think they could do with some more diverse female characters though.
Flag
Maldonado is definitely one-note. I think Stahl could go in 10 different directions if they choose - especially with her loyalties. Anna - could be interesting if they bring her into Season 2 (God willing). Imagine Kennex - already betrayed by Anna - getting involved with Val only to have her choose the Chromes over him in a conflict. Man oh Man - talk about some serious anger and trust issues.

I have a bad feeling after reading what I have read from different sources, It will take a HUGE bit of luck to get a renewal. NOt hearing of one (since that would boost ratings for the finale) means they either haven't decided or they are canning it. But GOOD DOG! If that abortion of a show The Following (which is even with AH ratings-wise) is renewed and AH not ...I will vomit.
Flag
I've just posted Foxs average ratings per show on @Rolamb's latest article and the numbers look good (really good) in terms of overall viewers - only Bones and Sleepy Hollow have more. The 18-49 demo is a little more worrying (although better than Bones, Brooklyn 9-9, Glee, Dads, Mindy, Rake, Enlisted and Raising Hope), but if Fox are serious about "shaking things up" then I don't see why we won't get a second season of 13 Episode, unless they have a hell of a lot of confidence in their up-coming pilots, which I doubt.
Flag
Nice work, Trev! From your keyboard to the network's god's ears. I think, as with FRINGE, they may not get Idol numbers - but the viewers are LOYAL. They can count on those numbers. And if they allow Wyman to build that loyalty with us, the DVD sales will be impressive. I am skeptical, though. Trev - do you think FOX has learned this lesson?
Flag
I wouldn't bet on it.
But the thing is, if they cancel Almost Human, what does that leave them?
*The numbers for Rake are poor (the demo is terrible) so that won't be back (the show is poor as well, to be honest).
*Glee is only back for one more season.
*Bones looks like it's on it's way out (I'd be VERY surprised if it gets anything but a "Final Season" renewal).
*Sleepy Hollow will be around for a while but it's only getting 13 episode seasons - maybe we could get Sleepy Hollow pre-Christmas and Almost Human post-Christmas?[ &--- HEY, Fox do that ]
*The Following is an enigma to me, but the numbers are good so it will be back - for another 14 episode season unless Bacon pulls the plug.
*The X Factor is a goner and they show 2 other reality shows with crappy ratings on a Friday (Kiddie Chefs and Bad Kitchens).
*That leaves a load of sitcoms (not many good ones) and Sports, plus the up-coming 12 Episode 24 revival and Gang Related, which they are so confident in that it's debuting as a summer series.
They are going to be crying out for non-sitcoms next season and even more desperate the season after.
As I said, I wouldn't bet on it, but I'm certainly not resigned to it being cancelled.

More +
Flag
Hate to bring less than encouraging news, but a very reliable interwebs source downgraded AH from "Likely" to be renewed to "In Danger". Only by a 100th of a percentage point, but it did cross their statistical line, however.
Flag
Great photo recap. There are so many potential story lines they can take and I kind of don't want them rushing the insyndicate/wall story(s). However I do wish they had a bit more of the Insyndicate/wall arc tying into more of the episodes. Regardless, I enjoyed this episode and I don't have a problem with procedurals.
The killer didn't have the best tastes--he could of picked a better face imo;-P

I want to know more about way Val has issues with other chromes--what is the story here?
Flag
Great question. All of this really points to my theory this pace is slow because of the expectation of the back 9. I think we will find out more about Val if we get a new season. I did like her finally getting a prominent story arc this week.
Flag
I really didn't mind the procedural aspect of this week's episode at all...especially if the whole Syndicate angle is much more complex and going to be the singular hurdel for Kennex to overcome throughout the length of the series (however long or short that may be).

I think though I'm starting to have more and more of an issue with the whole out of sequence thing and the resulting continuity issues. John and Valarie, almost from the start, have had "a thing". Time after time John's pleasantly surprised about something Val does. She's been eyeing him like a fat kid in a doughnut shop and they've had a few "clearly, we're more than just colleagues" moments. So, dude coming in and chroming John's grass seemed sort of out of nowhere. Did I miss a part where they decided to take a step back? Or is Val not the down to earth chrome with the heart of gold I thought she was? I know she too was pleasantly surprised by meeting another chrome with whom she actually got along...but still. Not cool!

"Ah.The car ride.We have been shamefully deprived of one of Almost Human’s best set-ups."

I demand 5 out of every 42 minutes be dedicated to these two bickering in the car...cause it's AWESOME every single time.

"I am even more convinced this was written with the expectation they would get a back 9 order."

Vegas odds or not, I'll put my money down on that. Which would make another good reason to be upset if Fox pulls the plug on this show.
More+
Flag
Thanks for backing up my thinking. NO ONE agrees with me in this life! LOL. That said - remember the last 3 ARE in order. So anything we see from last week on has been set up (just not in the way Wyman wanted - which is HUGE!). I think the Stahlnnex (Johlerie?) part of this - they have set up Stahl has issues with fellow Chromes and was a little pleased she has been able to get along with "her people" better Than Schmoozy McFuck steeped in and ChromeBlocked Kennex. That last look - as she left with him that I noted in my review - I think her heart is his. But If Wyman wanted this romance to happen organically over a 22 ep season, there had to be some obstacles. And the feeling of betrayal (not really with Stahl - but I bet it FELT that way) is prevalent with Kennex with what happened with Anna. If we knew there was more ...this is a perfect set up. Problem is... will there be more.
Flag
Contrarians of the world unite!

My continuity issues stem mostly around Kennex and Stahl, and since that seems to be an every other episode story line (or should have been), it hasn't come into play the past few episodes...until now. Looked at in the proper order...

From the second Kennex walked into the precinct in the pilot, Stahl's had "he's so dreeeaaamy" eyes. And thanks to YouTube, one of her early comments to him, "I find behavioural tendencies in data and identify criminal patterns". Based on his past, I'm sure she's got a clear picture of "the bad boy/good man/great cop with the broken heart just looking to be loved again"...and we all know how much women love fixing broken men.

Then we get some pretty serious flirting...hell, he passed her a note for crying out loud. Kennex clearly starts thinking about it, to the point where he describes Stahl as the perfect woman (hilariously, much to Dorian's delight). And then gets "confirmation" from the psychic as they later enjoy some bourbon and a soccer match.

Hmm...now that I've typed that out, the whole after work drink SHOULD have only happened 3 episodes ago, which makes Stahl going out with Mr Douchey McChromy even stranger. "WTF Val?!? Why you gotta treat a brotha like that?"

I don't think I got the same vibe from her body language and "look back" though. No, "I'm not sure about this". No, "But John is such a nice guy". No, "Let me make sure to see if he's okay". More along the lines of, "Let me see what kind of reaction this gets"...which again, WTF Val?

With Kennex have been burned so badly and Stahl's self hating Chrome issues...I figure there's be plenty of hurdles to clear before they ever got close to getting together. With the number of dbag Chromes we've seen thus far, I'd think it would take more than some normal levels of polite banter to get Stahl to start to re-think her position on other Chromes, never mind shelf the dude she's been pining over for 12 episodes to go out for drinks.

Wow, that's a lot of thought into a non-couple from a show that may not even see a 2nd season...lol. I dunno, I just like those two as a "will they/won't they" couple. Not only do I conceptually like their characters (apart and together), but I REALLY want to see them hook up and try and keep it a secret from Dorian. The in car interrogations and ball busting would be EPIC!
More +
Flag
"I don't think I got the same vibe from her body language and "look back" though. No, "I'm not sure about this". No, "But John is such a nice guy". No, "Let me make sure to see if he's okay". More along the lines of, "Let me see what kind of reaction this gets"...which again, WTF Val?"

It is so funny how subjective thinking is on that one little look she gave. I did the Farscape recap earlier this week - and one look Claudia Black gave was really easy to read. This one? I would guess our experiences and expectations would form how we viewed that. I really read it is "Ok. I got it. He's in to me, now. Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this with Chromenuts McSlickFuck"
Flag
Just so long as he keeps his Chromenuts in his Chromepants.

I can already hear the haters blaming a look open to interpretation on Minka Kelly's poor acting. Having never watched 'Friday Night Lights', I've got no preconceptions. But based on how we've seen other Chromes, "aloof, reserves and near emotionless" seem to be in the script slug lines.

Maybe she's really acting or maybe she's just cast perfectly for the role...either way, watching Kennex deal with that personality trait once they finally get together (and they WILL dammit) will be fun to watch.
Flag
Kennex's "Smart Bed" would tell on him anyway. Better go to her place - although by the 2040s, Smart Bed data will probably online anyway, putting TMZ out of business.

Flag
@marcusj1973:
I think Rudy is the type to hang on to the copy for his own private "reflection"

We were out of "replies" so I took this route. I think Minka is playing it exactly how she was told as a Chrome. She has more humanity in her than the others (hence her shunning them). Kennex is detached. Dorian is more human than all of them. It is an interesting set up.

I see the plot line where Stahl is going have to choose between Normal and Chromes - probably in a greater sense then the romantic.
Flag
"Rudy, can you please teach me how to hack and delete the data from my smart bed? I totally fed it to Stahl last night and the last thing I need is Dorian finding out about it."
Flag
Almost Human is taking a leaf out of the Person of Interest book by setting up lots of stuff that hopefully will come in to play at some point. This episode they added tension between regular flavor humans and chrome flavored also someone is leaking stories to the press but that might be nothing.
Flag
The mole could've been Stahl. She's a Chrome and wants other Chromes to know someone's offing them. We don't know much about her, the Capt., or that bald cop (can't remember his name...in so few episodes) so an idea like this isn't too far-fetched.
Flag
My thinking on a second watch was that she leaked the information that chromes were being targeted to put the frighteners on the club owner, and make him more likely to turn over the surveillance footage when she paid them a visit. A bit machiavellian possibly, but I suspect she's a bit smarter than she's letting on.
Flag
That it's Stahl who leaked was my first thought as well. There is a real strong "Us chromes have to stick together" vibe here.
Flag
It MAY be with her... but right now she is lukewarm - barely warming to socializing with Chromes. Seems she loves her job more than the Chromes. But that could change...

I see The Chromes being The Observers. An original ally but now unexpected enemy. (except now some of us expect it).
Flag
Ever seen GATTACA? when it comes to the Chromes it's like a prequel before you know it the only job available for natural born humans is that of janitor.
Flag
Richard Paul. I just refer to him as DICK. It fits. But he has internal and external hemorrhoids, an infection from a Sexbot, and a penis piercing gone wrong. So - he may not be back for a bit. ;-p
Flag
See? If that's the most memorable info about him, then he doesn't really need a name ;)
Flag
Perfect. You really hit that exactly right - and the 2 shows never occurred to me, but you are exactly right. Wyman wanted stuff to develop in a REAL way. NOw it is up to FOX to let that happen.
Flag
It was a decent enough episode. I think what's hurting the show is that they introduced the traitorous girlfriend/InSyndicate arc and basically have said nothing since the 2nd episode. I hope we get another season. Doubtful but hopeful.

Your recap was great and greatly appreciated. :)
Flag
All i keep thinking is, that it was quite sad for the killer of chromes...
he went through all those troubles. Al that pain and surgery for what...
The girl is blind and have no clue how he looks and likes him anyway...

Still loving the bitchtfights, between Dorian and Kennex..
Dorian is so cool, the way he comments on things and acts...!!
Flag
Yep, that was some bittersweet irony - and the killer realized it too.
Flag
Eddy great review considering the subject matter. It was a so-so procedural again. There was a touching story about peoples need to be loved and accepted. A sad pointed end in a good way. This was a single message episode really! For whom and why I just don't know. This episode certainly did not move the story on for me. The next episode will be doing some work to be a finale for the season!

Flag
Great review as always Ed.
Lol @ two-timing whore gene! Seriously even in a Valerie centric episode she's still such a bland character. Maybe all chromes are just bland - maybe it's their thing! (Nah. It's just Minka Kellys limited acting skills)
Lots of 80's sci-fi movie vibes all over this episode.
Michael Eklund, the guy who played Eric is a master character-actor, he has this crazy look in his eyes - he's very good at playing unsettling weirdos. He played Milo Stanfield in Fringe (episode 3x03 "The Plateau") who was also a drug trial test subject - it was a very memorable performance.
Something tells me that J.H Wyman had very little control of Almost Human's (he's tweets certainly hint it) serialised arcs amongst other things. I really hope he gets a chance to do it his way with Season 2.

P.S. If TV.com reviews the season finale, I really hope Corey gives you some credit (by mentioning your reviews) for all the hard work you've done.
Flag
I don't care if I am not "Staff". The way you guys have supported me - I think it is fair to say TV.COM always does the reviews. They are just done by ME. I would not let you guys down. That said, Cory would be foolish NOT to but I will let Jen know I wil be putting MASSIVE time into it. Can you PM me her email/screenname?
Flag
I am a few episodes behind so many this has been discussed already but the broadcast order of these episodes doesn't make any sense and it's clear that they've rearranged the order compared to how the episodes were originally produced.
It's creating some inconsistencies in the character development.
Flag
Yes it certainly is. I tried to include the instances in my past reviews as well as the CORRECT order of viewing (@Grumpyclown and myself listed it on the Community page) Almost Human Episode Order

We plan on watching it in the correct order after the season and discussing it.
Flag
I did that during the hiatus since starting with this ep everything is back in the intended order.
It didn't reveal anything major, but with this ep it solidifies your (and my) opinion, that a back 9 was expected and planned for in the setup of the season.

I'm defenitly looking foreward to your discussion on that marathon. :D
Flag
Be there or be square, Xub!

I haven't sat down and watched it taking notes, but on 1st glance I'd agree. I know it is subjective, but it just had a smootherfeel to it. It had a better flow
Flag
That's an interesting idea. Maybe something to consider if I have time in the off season.
Flag
If we get a renewal - I guarantee it will be in the Friday Death Slot next season.

Flag
The good news is Almost Human was FOX's #1 show Monday. The problem is with CBS Sitcoms, the Voice and other assorted SHITE - it scored a 1.6 So did The Following and Intelligence was a 1.2. So... I am not feeling too good right now unless I look at what the other Drama's scored.
Flag
A little better angle:

Fox’s other Monday night show, Almost Human, also hit a 1.6 rating but it drew more total viewers than The Following, scoring 5.7 million viewers. Its rating was down one tenth from last week’s 1.7.
Read more at http://collider.com/#ixXtdDgez5p0tciv.99
Flag
I was expecting the big story arc after the episode with Danica too, but even though it didn't happen I'm still really enjoying the case of the week episodes, especially this one. This episode really reminded me of Fringe, which can't be a bad thing! I know you've mentioned the episode order not going in the way the writers intended, and that's how the show feels to me. I'm wondering if I missed something about the Chrome's, was last week the first time they were mentioned? I felt it came out of nowhere that Valerie is a Chrome, or that there are Chrome's, and there hasn't been much in the way of explaining what Chrome's are. We know they are genetically created people but they seem to be apart from human society. I'd like to know more about this.
I really hope the show is picked up. I love the commraderie between John and Dorian. I love how Dorian is constantly have a go at John. All of the main characters, John, Dorian, Valerie, Rudy, the Captain, are interesting and strong enough that I would like to know more about them, and they could handle their own episodes. Why oh why can't more people watch scifi?
More+
Flag
Yeah, Val being a chrome was mentioned in a previous episode.
Flag
It was actually mentioned by DIck early in the season
Flag
Small, unimaginitave minds ;-p
Flag
Nice review, thanks! Definitely one of my favourite episodes of the season, possibly because it had such a Fringe feel to it - body horror, a strong emotional core, lots of chat about the perils of technology and the ever-creepy Michael Eklund from The Plateau. A couple of annoying plot weaknesses (Why was the killer following the first victim home from the club if, as a DMV employee, he could have found his address? How did he not realise the girl was blind when he had been staring into her apartment for months?) The final irony for the poor guy was a little bit on-the-nose to the point of making me laugh out loud, but still a great episode. And Stahl got some character development, played verbal chess with a chrome and dating chess with Kennex. I just wish his name was a few more letters away from sounding like tissue product placement.
Flag
Yeah, the stalking thing seemed unneeded, as you said.

As for not realizing she was blind, he seemed to only see her when she was in her apt, where she would be familiar enough to not appear to be blind. In fact, when we saw her as he was staring at her, she merely looked contemplative, not blind. But, in retrospect, we realize that her vacant look was not contemplation but blindness.

I love me some irony. Though I thought his reaction should have been more visceral. "I became a serial killer for you. And you're BLIND!?! What have I done!?!"

But now, just a tear, which could just as easily have been because she seemed to love him.
Flag
I have to admit - I let out a laughing WTF when I found out she was blind. That was really good.
Flag
I really liked this episode. Apart from you talking about it in the community, I never expected an arc, so I am not disappointed. I do see a theme: the chromes.

This episode showed again that the series takes new developments series and uses them as a given for these stories. I love that! The story was catching enough although the sardonic ending was pretty devastating. I am not sure it fitted the feeling of the episode. Sarah must also have been devastated, what happened with her further down the line. It's something these series never bother about. I do understand that although in this episode it was even more devastating.

Now we know Stahl is a Chrome, why would she be interested in Kennex: an example of old days, vintage, not as bright as her human being. It's almost like Aeryn being interested in Crichton.

The fact that John is boring may be good for the viewers as it will make them connect to the old fashioned (old as in our days) John.

I'm not sure I liked the idea of a smart bed. In the future everything will be connected, but we need the possibility to secure some of those intelligent devices from the interwebs or buy items that are not connected. I'm not sure why I woud want to connect the bed itswelf.

I had a real LoL when Rudy told them about him being a child model and still thinking he was gorgeous.
More+
Flag
Rudy is so creepy funny. MacKenzie rocks (that'd be a good T-Shirt).

I think it is the vein of the bed that adjusts to your personal comfort settings. Just 25 years from now.
Flag
Yeah, but it needn't give any information about the activities that took place on/in the bed ........
Flag
LOL. Just think if the bed's AI was a jealous female!
Flag

That's why.

Flag
Eh.... serious and not series in the second paragraph ........
Flag
I agree with the disappointment that the story wasn't more arc heavy but I do think they are hinting at something to do with the Chromes. Kennex mentions a 'us vs. them' scenario whilst discussing the case and I hope this ties into insyndicate's motives.

I enjoyed the episode but felt it was a dip from the last 3 episodes.

PS. Good work once again Ed! Wanna take bets that Cory will have a review up for the finale (whilst pretending the community simply stopped in his absence lol)
Flag
LOL "What is this Almost Human" show you speak of?"
Flag
lol. I rather think it will be 'Almost ALIAS' if your predictions are right (which I think at least won't be far off) with Kennex and his Dad mirroring Sydney and her Mum.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members