An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
Well – here we go. The final 3 episodes. And while I was certain this would be an inSyndicate arc heavy last 3 eps, being wrong about which major, season long plot point it would focus on was no disappointment. All throughout the series launch interviews, Michael Ealy spoke about why the DRN was decommissioned and alluded to the fact that sooner or later, Dorian was going to go through the same AI mental breakdown as the rest. To what degree, is unclear. But “Disrupt” brought the issues of Dorian’s programming to the forefront. The DRNs are blessed (or cursed) with “Synthetic Soul”™ and that doesn’t mean they can groove (although I would bet Dorian can). It means that the DRNs feel. And the reason for their shutdown was the fact they felt too much. Finally, in this episode, we are introduced to a hint of an idea. That there may be real human memories in the DRNs – probably as a way to develop human emotion. And Dorian’s are flashing to the surface – a nice bit of synchronicity to the memory flashbacks Kennex is chemically inducing. I can’t say I wasn’t a little disappointed this was a “Case of the Week” and not mythology rich with a big set up for the last two episodes. But it was enough. And unexpected. I am only guessing, but I have to believe the final episodes bring together Dorian’s Synthetic Soul™ issues, Nigel on the other side of the Wall with his fleet of DRNs, inSyndicate, and the return of Anna – Kennex’s traitorous Ex-girlfriend. Let’s hope we are not disappointed.

On to “Disrupt”:

The episode begins with Rudy doing some melon probing as Dorian sleeps.

Remember, Dorian was really freaked out having to recharge overnight with the MXs – so after a failed attempt to talk Kennex into letting him bunk at his apartment, Rudy offered his lab as a place he could grab his android ZZZs.

Unfortunately, Dorian left FOX on his brain based DVR last Monday and he accidentally recorded the show following his…

Rudy quickly remedied the matter.

In addition to that, Dorian had some images of a young boy playing with a toy truck…and it appeared to be his POV. Rudy looks very concerned as Dorian “wakes” while he is still probing his memories. Rudy throws some technobabble that is amazingly unconvincing but John happens to walk in, regaling them all with the stories of Dick.

The show moves to a couple in an incredibly beautiful (see: expensive) home. It appears they are going through the anniversary of an unfortunate event that has touched the couple in a significant way. The Bennetts have been subjected to thousands of threats due to the aggressiveness of their home security system. Last year at exactly that moment, lethal force was used on a trespassing boy and although acquitted of any responsibility – they feel the weight of the tragedy. Michael Bennett grabs a drink while his wife Linda goes for a swim. The Smart Home’s AI, SAM, seems to be functioning fine at that moment – but tragedy strikes quickly.

The heated pool has a retractable cover that closes while Linda is swimming. Michael watches in horror as SAM locks the house down and is unable to reverse either function.

Michael breaks out a window to save her life, but the same security measure cranks up to irony factor 10…

…and guns him down.

Kennex and Dorian arrive at the scene as Maldonado finishes her press conference. Having this double murder occur exactly one year to the hour of Aaron Kasden’s death is way too much coincidence. Dorian pulls a Spock and/or a C-3PO (DON’T tell me the odds!) and informs them exactly how impossible these events occurring like this are.

Detective Richard Paul would normally have this case. But he has requested some “personal time”, and Kennex has some idea of what he is really up to.

First the penis piercing, now...

The group enters the home to talk to the creepy holographic AI that has exactly ZERO answers as to what happened. Apparently the house’s system was hacked and all security footage and information was deleted. Once again we see some of my favorite bits of tech on this show:

Every window can apparently be used as a computer monitor, as the data on all the threats the Bennetts received are brought up for them to see. As Maldonado correctly states, “That’s a lot of suspects”.

Kennex and Dorian arrive at the Synturion (synthetic centurion. Cool!) headquarters where they are greeted by something much more than a hologram. It is their new line of personal security products – a SAM android that may have just a wee bit too much salesman programmed in.

Kay and Peter are obviously very protective of their company. Kay Stenson assures the boys she stared this business out of a childhood trauma and that she has the best intentions of protecting people. Kay is adamant that their systems are secure, using military grade encryption. It would have to be one hell of a hacker to be able to break in.

Meanwhile, Dorian is still having the memory flashes that Rudy was analyzing at the start of the episode. Look carefully…

Dorian is upset Rudy violated his privacy and Kennex shoots him an “I told you so”, reiterating why he lives alone.

Back at headquarters, Stahl is interviewing Mrs. Kasden, Aaron’s mom.

It is clear – that while upset nothing came of her suit against Synturion fizzled, she does not have the skills to perform that kind of hack.

Dorian is troubled. The flashes he is having…

…feel way too much like memories he should never have had. As they drive on, the city slides into a complete blackout. A hack by the cyber terrorist group “Disrupt”.

Because they take credit for the blackout and have stood behind the protests of Synturion’s role of Aaron Kasden’s death, they move to the front of the list of suspects. Dorian is able to produce a name: Crispin X.

With Rudy’s help…

…the hope is to be able to crash a post-hack party these types of folks like to throw when they pull off something huge. Rudy was a legendary hacker back in the day and allows Stahl to use his handle to get access to the bash. He also insists she and Kennex have “cop” written all over them, so he suggests a bit of a disguise.

Rudy left out the fact the party was really only in the hackers’ heads…

…a bunch of folks wired in to a virtual reality bash.

Kennex and a purple hair-ed Stahl find their man – Crispin X.

Back at Rudy’s lab, Dorian is getting a half assed explanation as to what is going wrong (or right) with his memories.

Rudy went against lab protocol and woke Dorian up to be company - chats, chess, objectionably dressed women, and the “Mail Order Bride Debacle” ™ which I really want to hear more about.

Rudy describes Dorian’s flashes as nothing more than remnants of those memories that he failed to wipe before he was put on active duty. I don’t know about Dorian’s programming and how effective his bullshit detector is – but it may need some updates.

We move to Crispin X, whose name is actually Niko (not a big improvement). Stahl plays a little tough cop, accusing Niko of the double murder of the Bennetts.

He is having none of it, declaring Disrupt as a future Occupy movement – peaceful demonstration and civil disobedience. Not violence. To his benefit, another murder at a Smart House takes place, pretty much eliminating him as a suspect.

Dorian and Kennex arrive to see Peter being removed from his home. The Fire Suppression System was activated – a neat little trick that kills a fire by sealing the home and pulling out all the oxygen. Peter was asphyxiated. Someone with fantastic hacking skills is making Synturion and all involved in Aaron’s death pay in the most severe way. In a spare moment, Kennex has another possibility to share regarding the absence of Dick. Seems he hooked up with this sexbot and caught a nasty infection…

The looks between these two are priceless!

Again with the window displays! So cool.

Dorian finds a tag in Aaron’s picture (which is included in every death threat) that links it to a picture posted on a social network. (We still have those in 30 years? I would think all interpersonal contact could have been eliminated by then).
The gang has a deal for Niko.

He is one of the best in the hacking community. They can promise him immunity from the actions of Disrupt if he can help them find the person doing the murderizing. He is quickly able to track down the source of the social network picture…

…and Dorian is able to put an identity with the face. And indeed – she is a troubled but brilliant hacker that appears to have had a close relationship with Aaron.

The threats begin rolling in to Kay and our new suspect, Emily, has all the codes for her Smart House security as well as the new generation of SAM androids there protecting her.

A few taps on her tablet and the SAMs turn on Kay, silently hunting her. Dorian goes off to try to find her while Kennex tries to dispatch the SAMs providing the major threat to Kay’s life. Or are they? Niko informs them the Fire Suppression System has been activated and they only have a matter of minutes before the oxygen is removed and John suffocates.

A nice little trickeration as Niko uses the holograph generators to confuse the android SAMs…

…as 4 or 5 Kenni is better than one. (4 or 5 Kennexs? Kenni? See what I did there?)

Dorian has a throw down with a SAM…

…while Emily continues her tablet tapping while hiding.

The countdown to suffocating continues, but despite Emily warning Dorian to get John and Kay out of there and forget her – Dorian talks her down invoking the memory of Aaron to get her to stop the carnage.

She complies…

…as Niko hacketty hacks the system.

The girl lives. The CEO survives. Our heroes win again!

As we move to the close of the episode, the kind hearted cop gives Maldonado the money he raised for Dick’s donut pillow. Those nasty outside hemorrhoids!

Detective Paul is taking his mom to Mexico for her birthday (wut? I’d prefer the hemorrhoids!) Maldonado has absolutely no clue.

Stahl brings in Mrs. Kasden to inform her of the resolution of the case. While they were picking apart the social network picture Emily was using in her threats, they found hundreds of embedded pictures of loners, like Emily, that he helped.

Aaron touched a lot of people. In fact, when the accidental shooting occurred, he was on the way to help Emily. He was a good kid who died tragically and much too soon.

There is one more matter.

Dorian is not just having a run of the mill glitch. Rudy was doing his stealth work on Dorian because what he finds deep in his memory core is not programming. They are real memories – the same kind you and I would have.

If Kennex tells Dorian, things will escalate and he could very well be shut down again like the other DRNs. This is nothing like Rudy has ever seen before. One thing he does know...

…they have to keep an eye on him.

Almost Human wasn’t at all what I predicted this week, but nonetheless a good solid episode. There was just enough foreshadowing in each of the last 4 episodes that lead me to believe we are in for a helluva ride to finish season 1. Let’s hope it is enough of a payoff for FOX that we will see JH Wyman’s vision for a season 2.

So - your thoughts? What do you think is behind the memories of being a Caucasian boy, treated for some type of medical condition? Is "Synthetic Soul" not quite as Synthetic as the name indicates? Are the memories really Dorian's or are they someone else's, embedded in his psyche? Will we see the truck again? And will a totem like that truck trigger even more memories?

Take Care Gang!!! See you next week.

Edshrinker

Tackling on some ratings news mews here Tuesday morning ... Almost Human was below the "needed" number to assure renewal. But that number is weighed against the ratings slobberknocker that is the Olympics. At 8pm (US EST), the 'limpics scored a 5.6 - which is just a life-sucking proposition. And networks are cognizant of this. AH scored a 1.6 in the main demo - beaten only by the shite, but ratings powerhouse, that is The Bachelor. Weighed against the 'limpics - it is not a terrible number. I didn't want a layoff again, but I almost wished they have waited for early March to show these last 3 episodes. It is hard not to think that FOX is just tossing these up put there because they have no plans for renewal. Hope I am proven wrong.

**** Ratings were adjusted up to 1.7 - matching the top viewed program Monday night at any time slot (sans Olympics). I feel that is a VERY strong statement.
75 Comments
Comments (75)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I hope the smart homes in future use tasers instead of real bullets. Then we can avoid these types of episodes!
Flag
Even with all the non-lethal force capabilities... I sense this world will get MORE violent, not less. We seem to be getting numb towards authority using deadly force and society letting it slide even when it is not clearly justified. It is frightening. This may be what JH Wyamn is hinting at. Despite all the tech - the world is MORE dangerous, not less.
Flag
Yeah I get that, The slide of society in mind-numbing violence and lack of humanity is what I totally understand. Still common sense and being politically correct should be required in the future right?
Flag
I really hope so. But I sure do see us sliding the wrong way everytime I accidentally hear the damn news. Quite frankly - I'd like to hear things a little LESS politically correct and more freaking straight up honest. Maybe getting hit in the face with honesty and reality will snap us out of this terrible condition. Gets worse before it gets better, you know?
Flag
Oh! Dear what was that for an episode. Yes - the usual procedural with the super rich being capped for being mindless arrogant morons. Really a house that can kill people just for stepping on the grass (Reference: Wesley Crush - Justice (Star Trek: the Next Generation). No understanding, no remote remorse. Nothing! Is Almost human set in some sort of weird WTF Ayn Rand Universe? or similar? Doran has embedded human memories... so and what? How about this for a theory! Almost human is based in a Randian Universe where the super rich, super arrogant elite live in ultra hi-tech enclaves excluding all the normal humans from the benefit of the advances they greedily covet (or think A Brave New World - Aldis Huxley). InSyndicate are actually free fighters rather than terrorists trying to storm the Ivory Towers. The elite believe they deserve to be immortal. The Chromes were a failed biological attempt at this process. The Chromes were not destroyed because even the elite can't kill their genetic kin. The elite discover Nigel actually holds the answer via synthetic soul. Imbed human consciousness in very repairable android shells and live forever. Nigel sees the immorality in this plan and says "No". The elite take his son as a hostage and infect him with a deadly, but curable virus to keep Nigel on track... but something is miscalculated and his son actually dies. Luckily Nigel was using his son as a template for synthetic soul, but it is unstable or incomplete due his son being killed. Hence the batch of unstable DRNs and the carnage that follows. Hence Dorian's problem. The elite can't kill Nigel because he has the prize! So they effectively neuter Nigel keeping a watch on him. However Nigel is clever and patient fixes the problem hence the Episode "Unbound". He jumps the wall to help the resistance and eventually take revenge on the elite!

I joke... perhaps? But this episode was so off track my mind made up a whole new story line...

Ed great work on your part - thumbs up! That's all the positive have on this occasion...

More+
Flag
wut?

'scratches self

;-p

That would certainly be a game changer akin to FRINGE Season 1!
Flag
Think Kennex, Dorian, etc are the praetorian guard. They just don't know it.
Flag
Sorry, but my mind just wandered!
Flag
You may not have liked it - but it couldn't have been THAT bad if it made you think THAT much! For a one-off - I was ok with it. But I REALLY wanted it inSyndicate arc heavy. I like where they are going with the Dorian arc though.
Flag
Yes - InSyndicate go the rebels! Think Brown coats verses The alliance - Firefly. Fight for fairness, balance and equity.
Flag
I'm very disappointed there was no photo of Minka Kelly in the wig....on her own,,,,without Kennex....very disappointed
Flag
Because there was no shot of her alone in the show. I would watch the spin off "Almost Human : Gawking at the many Faces of MInka Kelly" She needed to do more than hair though and went with the punk, street walker look for a disguise. We're talking about RUDY giving them both disguises - I thought for sure he'd have Minka showing her "assets"
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I beg to differ...

Flag
How the hell did I miss that? She looks a bit like Angelina Jolie in that pic
Flag
The moment i saw the SAM robot, i knew something was going to happen. He really looked creepy. Nice to have a house that can control a lot of things, but i would never want it. Too much power to the computer...
The way the couple died...like in the pool....dangerous stuff to mess with tech...
I was really looking forward to the outfits of Kennex and stahl, but that was a bit dissapointing...couldn't see it very clearly...
Loved the end in the office how all the Sams, were trying to get the cops..

Love the image storyline of Dorian. They called him the Crazy Ones in the first episode....maybe this is the reason why he had be shut down????
Very exciting!! Really like this series!!
Flag
Awesome feedback vcivi! YOu hit a n of points popping around in my "dome". I evern tried to lighten up the Jolarie/Stahlennx pics at the VR rave - it was way too dark.

Follow the Community here! I just posted the promo for "Behiolder" with some interesting questions ;-p
Flag
Terminator moment!! Too much so? I had fun, but it was VERY Terminator, especially Sarah Connor Chronicles (which was actually a brilliant show, much better than you might expect or episode 1 suggested).

I'm not really at ease with the super strength of the AI. Mainly because I think people would not accept them at all knowing a short circuit makes them so dangerous.

Good episode. I think the show needs to fit in more series mythology, but good nonetheless.
Flag
HIT it on the EFFING head. More mythology. It is creeping out and i KNOW that is what Wyman WANTS to do. You know ho network Asshats are - "can anyone jump in at any time and get it?" Have you read the L O S T proposal by Abrams and Lindelof? They had to swear to ABC that each ep was self ontained before they got the green light. That show would have sucked without the the amazing mystery and overall story arc. But their lie shows you what the networks want. AND THEY ARE WRONG!! Just like they think they are smart enough to reorder episodes with no input from the creator of the show.

Arrgh. Sorry for the rant.

PS - another horrible decision putting SCC in the Friday Death Slot and then not giving it another half season at least.
Flag
Rants are good when they make productive points. Yours did.

Yeah.... SCC was getting stronger (except for the weird frolic into Sarah's mind which I think may have put the nail....) and that last episode potentially led to some awesome story for John Connor.

Actually, I think SCC's big mistake was calling it The SARAH Connor Chronicles, rather than just The Connor Chronicles. It was naturally becoming more and more about John, but they had tied their hands.
Flag
That's an angle I hadn't considered. Ms Headley was the big name at the time, so it made sense they wanted it structured around her. But Conner Chronicles would have left more storytelling options.
Flag
I'm actually liking this show more now that an arc is emerging and there's more background on Dorian and Detective Hotstuff. Annoying that I couldn't name Stahl off the top of my head, I'm putting that down to her woeful underuse; hopefully she'll grow into something more than an poster girl for genetic engineering. One of the few things that (the vaguely comparable) Intelligence seems to be doing right is writing an interesting female sidekick.
Flag

ianjd - has it improved? I gave up after the 3rd episode. I couldn't handle one more poorly written, UNintelligent TV trope that they seemed to set a record pace with. But I love it when shows get a chance to find themselves. (And i will always love Sawyer). I was eye rolling in the 1st 30 seconds when Sawyer fixed is hair on a deadly and dangerous covert mission. I has been downhill from there for me.

I am sincere and would love your opinion. Is it worth giving a 4th try?
Flag
I don't personally think Intelligence is getting much better; still very dumb poorly thought out Gemini Man-level plots. It's a shame, because the cast actually seem to be wringing some chemistry out of the scripts, and the writers seem to have realised that a humourless lead is tedious to watch, but the stories themselves are really forehead-slappingly sub-par. It's nice wallpaper but a poor show, IMHO. Minimal continuity as well, so drop in later in the season, if it's still on!
Flag
Oh Ed!
I love your reviews. I LOLed so much at the Minka Kelly screengrabs that are accompanied with an adjective and then the word gene. Interogation Gene. Smouldering Gene. Hilarious! That pretty much sums up her "character".
Guess what? This procedural Natzi grump liked this episode! 😮 I really did! It had just the right amount of future tech (that we can both understand and that seems very plausible) combined with an emotional hook. These kinds of episodes are my thing. I love it when they are able to pull off sci-fi elements grounded in human, emotional stuff.
What can I say, I'm emotional (see: daddy issues and J.J. Abrams)!

Kennexs toilet humour and bro attitude is still way too shallow and juvenile for my taste but the good thing is that it's balanced out by Dorians depth. Michael Ealy is totally carrying the show - he is fantastic!
I thought that Dorians memories will turn out to be things he experienced while hanging out with Rudy during his decommissioned days. I thought maybe Rudy had a son who was sick (and died) and who Dorian used to spend time with and because of his synthetic soul (TM), Dorian grew attached to the boy. So he remains buried in his brain/storage. But since it feels like a personal memory for Dorian, it probably isn't the case. It's probably got something to do with some Insyndicate hacking or something along those lines. We shall see!

Couple of "Fringe" related notes:
- The lady who drowned at the start of the episode was played by the same actress who was Broyles' wife on "Fringe".
- The actress who played Aaron's mother was also in an episode of "Fringe" - S4E15 "A Short Story About Love". She played the widow who gets glad-wrapped (do you have Glad(TM) wrap in America too? It's cling-film.) to death by Anson Carr (played by Michael Massee) the "Pheromone Perfume" phycho.
- The ending with all of the picture of the people whose life Aaron touched totally felt like an homage to the "Where is Peter Bishop" video that fans made during the S3-S4 hiatus with the help of Ari Margolis - FOX promo video editor extraordinaire.
I just have to share it, because it's one of the best things I've ever seen....and because it makes me cry everytime I watch it. Like I said, I'm an emotional gal.

GREAT JOB ED! TV.com we've got a great reviewer right here - forget Corey! 😉

More+
Flag
@MirelaPilipo Nice Fringe list...... how do you remember those things? (the force is strong in this one!).

@edshrinker Thanks for the review. I still think a lot less photos would make the text stand out. And save you time.
Flag
Fringe is my religion - I could probably recite all the dialogue too. I kid you not, I have probably seen every Fringe and every LOST episode at least 100 times. These two shows are in my DVD player all the time. I will have them on in the background while I'm working or getting ready to go out. Some people put on a CD, I put on a Fringe or LOST DVD.
Also, with Fringe, I was involved with a lot of the fan campaigns during the show and I run two Facebook pages dedicated to it.
To quote Gale Boetticher from Breaking Bad: "Yes. I am a Nerd."

- May the Force be with you. -

P.S. @edshrinker I actually like the photos. They're a nice comic relief. I wouldn't mind if you did it Price Peterson style.
Flag
I haven't seen Lost.

I get you with Fringe though. It is really amazing TV. I hope through syndication it gets discovered by a lot more people.
Flag
as @MirelaPilipo stated... never before had I been more intellectually and emotional challenged by television. All the sites dedicated to try to solve the mysteries... it was so engaging. Reading all the theories were almost better than what we ended up with (althoughI was very satisfied by it). The Entertainment Weekly writer Jeff Jensen did such a great job proposing ideas - Lindelof co-wrote "Tomorrowland" with him and Brad Bird. (Movie info here). I think that is really cool.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yes, I hope Fringe keeps getting discovered and keeps on living through syndication and Netflix. I just think it's one of those shows that every human being can benefit from watching.
LOST is another one that is absolutely magical. You should definitely put it on you bucket list of must-see television. :-)
Flag
Gotcha. I have actually taken your advice on the last Farscape Watchback Recap
Flag
JJ Abrams is your father? Sweet!

It was a bit of a one-off, but the thing that was promised from the beginning - the fact Dorian is going to go off the rails like the other DRNs ...I think that big arc is now taking root.

I have a suspicion that maybe they are Nigel's son's memories. Maybe it was his way to try to save his dying son. He put them into a synthetic soul. And he is going to find out Dorian is the one with that particular soul. Just a guess.

I do love seeing Fringies show up on AH and Sleepy Hollow. Just like seeing L O S T alums show up on POI and (even though I don't watch it) Eddy Kitsis' OUAT.

Poor Cory. His mistake was underestimating our intelligence and resolve for keeping the Community going in his absence. Like I said though - 2 minutes looking in on the Community would have told him that inferring we haven't been following (like him) was insulting.

Flag
When Rudy explained the issue with the memories Dorian was experiencing, my initial thought was that Nigel used real souls from actual humans to develop his synthetic souls for the DRNs. I like the idea that perhaps Dorian possesses the soul of the little boy in the memory and that the little boy may have been Nigel's son. However, with his genius, couldn't he have just made an android clone that looked like his son and implanted his memories?
Flag
Oooh gzeigler3 I REALLY like that! I know Rudy maintains the the DRNs and MXs - but I never hear that he had anything to do with their design. Sounded like Nigel was the one who did all that. I don't see Rudy as the "concerned dad" that would do that - NIgel moreso. He was quite taken with Dorian. BUT...the idea that he used a REAL soul in Dorian instead of a synthetic one...that is effing brilliant!! Well done! I hope you are right!
Flag
That's a really good theory too! Maybe he wanted to test it on Dorian first? So now that he found out that it's possible maybe he'll try to do it with an android clone? I just hope it doesn't turn out that he's some one dimensional villain trying to make an android army.
Flag
Very true and I hope Corey knows now. :-)
That's an excellent theory about it maybe being Nigel's son. That would make a lot of sense and explain his double cross and why he's doing whatever it is he's doing on the other side of the Wall. I really hope these last two episodes are good. My expectations are pretty high considering it's Wyman - I hope FOX allows him to tell the story the way he wants it, without demanding self-contained episodes or worse - cancellation.
If it gets renewed I'm sure the story will start to grow and it'll be the second season so he should be allowed to really go for it with the big ideas.
Fingers crossed!

P.S. J.J. Abrams murderized my father with a TV script. Now my daddy is a smoke monster that just takes up a lot of space, tosses my friends into the air whilst making a tick-a tick-a sound - and on occasion impersonates dead people. Very annoying! Thus - my daddy issues.😜
Flag
Ok. Jeez. Who hasn't had that happen during their childhood. Whiner. Suck it up.

;-p
Flag
Don't make me summon the smoke monster! Lol ;-)
Flag
OH the TV geekdom that is TV.com!!!
Flag
Ha! So true.
Flag
While this episode didn't focus on what I wanted it to focus on, I still enjoyed it. It's a slow build up and remember Person of Interest and Fringe both started off very procedural in nature and then exploded into their own mythos. I'm enjoying the procedural aspect of the show and think it is very good. I do think it will become more serialized if it gets the time. Look how long it took the other shows. I think they are building the world and the characters slowly but that is not necessarily bad imo. I really like the show as it is but I can see it becoming excellent if it gets the chance (and if it goes in the direction I think it will go).
We don't need Cory, we have you;-)
Great work as usual!!
Flag
My melon has grown to new proportions. Now I shall leave you all to go review other shows! ;-p
Flag
the real sin was programming the smart house to KILL intruders - there are approved levels of force response for police/law enforcement to use, with each level of subject offensive force matched by a corresponding level of officer response. You don't shoot someone for giving you the finger, or climbing a wall.
see use of force continuum
good idea - poorly executed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at least they staretd with a good idea this time...... even though the second story about Dorian's memories is a rip-off of Blade Runner
Flag
This is (as the monologue says at the beginning) this is in the future where criminals are winning the war with cops in the areas of Tech. We have the debate in the US right now whether drones should be used in country and whether they should be equipped with deadly force (as they are in our foreign conflicts. So in 30 years - I could see something of this nature happening. Drone fires on a suspect that may be a kid and was fasley ID'd. That kind of horrible story writes itself.
Flag
yup - but drones are under human control with mission oversight and operator options ; the smart house was programmed to kill intruders on sight - classic definition of overkill.

http://www.esquire.com/features/obama-lethal-presidency-0812
excellent article on current state of drone warfare.

last week police responded to a fatal auto accident and found a video-equipped hover-copter sending live feed of the dead man's bloody body back to a TV news channel - before 5-0 could identify body and notify next-of-kin. this is as critical a court case as drones equipped with laser-sighted weapons on American soil. Are there no privacy laws that work in the new era? WTF is taking so long to respond to the need. I see a lot shorter time frame than 30 years.
PS - Snowden should be stood up against a wall and executed by firing squad for treason - IMHO
Flag
I can't add to anything you said other than just to say: Fuck Yes.
Flag
As mentioned below, it is Philip K. Dick like, but wouldn't it rather be a rip-off of Total Recall?
Flag
mos def PKD idea - the first image that came to me was Sean Young looking at the photos of her 'childhood' and the story of the spiders. And I wondered who is blarging Dorian's brain - Rudy is so obvo; but he may be recognizing the pattern of someone else.
best ep so far.
Flag
Gotta be a Nigel connection. His kid maybe? His inspiration for synthetic (OR TRANSFERRED) souls?
Flag
good point - they can't afford to waste a talent like Johnny LaRocket; gotta bring him back for a bigger part.
Flag
I agree that the episode is not what I expected (when I read that the focus was a murder committing house I groaned) but I thought it was great. I like the little things they keep adding to really flesh out this world (those crazy fish, messenger windows, hologram butlers etc.) It wasn't until the final episode of season 1 that Fringe truly grabbed me and I still hold out hope that we've got a game changer at the end of this season too.
Flag
PS. lol to the lack of staffer review once again. Glad to see you still producing awesome work Ed!
Flag
Thanks again Coodookie! I guess it's a good thing I didn't stop doing them on account of Cory's newfound interest. Which lasted 1 week, apparently.
Flag
well done edshrinker - really liked the " I can hack the hacked hacker's hacking with my CoolGear"
Flag
While I enjoy the episode and the previous ones, they feel disjointed. I didn't find out until the last one that they were aired out of order. It really does kill the continuity. I really want it to get another season but I won't hold my breath.
Flag
It has the Firefly vibe. Whedon has more cred now, doubt t would happen. BUt Wyman? I really want them to trust his vision (and ep order) WHEN it gets season 2 ;-p
Flag
Now Ed, this is where I disagree with you. The only Firefly vibe I have is with the episodes out of order. Firefly was much more different from everything we had (have) seen and had a cast that was as a whole an intricate part of the story right away. The fact that we viewers felt that the cast were as close as the characters they were playing added so much. I do feel the same with Kennex and Dorian, but the rest isn't up to that level yet.
Flag
You aren't disagreeing actually - because I only meant that VIBE in regards to the out of order eps. The disjointed feel that was rectified when I watched Firefly in order. Everything else - no, these shows are not anything alike.
Flag
It never aired over here so I only watched it in the correct order :-).
Flag
Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, I found this episode very underwhelming and disappointing. Eleven episodes in, I finally feel like the arc should be going somewhere... and it's not.

If 3 more episodes is all they have left, I expected 3 STRONG episodes. This was not one of them, so I don't foresee the last 2 being game changers (although, I believe it was the end of season 1 of Fringe that really was the game changer).

That being said, I believe the TV landscape is better with Almost Human than without it, so I hope they get picked up for a second season. But I hope in the meantime they do some "synthetic soul-searching" and breathe some life into this story.

My guess for the memories of the sickly boy with the truck- Dorian's creator's perhaps dead son... or something like that. Something that served as an impetus for him to "create" synthetic soul and somehow keep the memory of his son alive. But I hope it's not that predictable.

I hope I'm wrong about the last 2 eps. I've enjoyed the show for the most part, but it's starting to feel like it doesn't want to tell meaningful stories.
More+
Flag
I can't lie shunsai - I had the same feelings. On 2nd watching for the review I mentally dropped my expectation of what I thought it should be and I enjoyed it more. YOu said it perfectly - I am glad we have this show - it's average is better than 90% of anything else.

Wyman loves shocking game changers. I still believe we are going to get that - much like FRINGE waited to do til the very end of season 1.
Flag
I've just seen the episode and it is still sinking in. In general it was a good one, not a really great one. I do hope they reserved that for the next two episodes.

For the rest you described my thoughts and expectations very well!

I still like they try to extrapolate some of the techniques to a feasible future one. I was also amazed that kids in 2047 still listen to the same music they do now. But when other series try to make futuristic music, it always is some kind of electronics and and those are worse.

I had hoped Nico would have been able to stop the oxygen threat at 007 seconds as a reference to when Bond stopped the bomb countfown at exactly 007 seconds in Goldfinger.

Flag
They worked a white tulip in, this reference would not surprise me. With Bad Robot,, I am always looking for some iteration of 4 8 15 16 23 42
Flag
Now I'm lost, what would that reference be? ( :-))
Flag
I'll tell you i another life, brotha.
Flag
No REPLIES left under y'all (stupid to have thread restrictions) so I'll do it here. As Rolamb and I have brought up...there are no original ideas really. There are original ways they are applied, however.AH is very "Blade Runner-ish". There was a shot last week I almost put in my review of Kennex going downtown where there was a huge vid dispay with a suggestive Asian woman. Now - I have seen that before. In fact - you could say Firefly ripped off Blade Runner by having so much Asian influence in the presented "Future". So - I don't get aggrivated by images and themes I have seen or read before - if they are used in a cool, unique way. AH is a TV show, not a movie. So it is inherently different right there. I loike seeing the Blade Runner themes injected in TV. Would have loved to seen Blade Runner done for TV...maybe this is as close as we get.
Flag
@phxcowbot As a self proclaimed fan of Blade Runner (see our posts on the subject here1 and here2, sorry for the plug), I did not get that reference. Putting false memories in androids is something that has been done in many stories and indeed Philip K. Dick always liked the idea very much. Or did you want to point out something different? I very much like the idea of any reference to Blade Runner though.
Flag
did no one else get that the second story about Dorian's memories is a rip-off of Blade Runner?!?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members