An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
In November I wrote a post called: Will Almost Human Break the Jinx? In this post I expressed my feeling that history didn’t favour Almost Human as every sci-fi series where humans cops were assisted by humanoid (robot) cops had been cancelled after the first season.

Two days ago, we had the penultimate episode with a pretty good story. It seemed to be mostly procedural and we’re left with the feeling that there is an arc out there somewhere. We just didn’t get enough information about it. Our weekly reviewer @edshrinker, based on what he had read, expected an arc for the last three episodes of the season. He also mentioned in his last review he got the feeling JH Wyman expected to have a back nine ordered this season due to the pace of everything. But it didn’t happen. How do we feel about that?

For me the show has delivered what I had expected. The most important thing for me is that they delivered good stories where they tried to extrapolate some of the techniques to a feasible future one. Smart houses (even smart-beds), sexbots and Chromes come to mind. But there were also some they were (understandable) unable to do like the music the kids were listening to in 2047. They were using kind off the same music they are listening to now. But if they’d know what the perfect future music would be, they might now be working in a different branch of the entertainment industry.

The second thing that works is the interaction between Kennex and Dorian. Their ‘human’ vs ‘trying to be human’ conversations are great. The fact that John may seem boring to the people in 2047 maybe good for us viewers in 2014. It will make us connect to him better as we understand what he feels. The light humour between both characters gives the series something extra. We’ve got to love the conversations they have in the car. I fondly remember Kennex learning stuff about Dorian’s private parts.

We even have got our own Q! Rudy is to Kennex and Dorian what Q was to James Bond: a geek that is adorable and also is the interface between the human factor and the future/android factor. He is the wizard that takes us from our present day into the future. As we now know that he was a child model, there is some explaining to do.

And let’s not forget Stahl, we’re just getting more focus on her and I do approve of that. The quiet Chrome that is getting to be more interesting every episode. What will she become in the next season? It seems as though they’re not only showing her beauty but also her compassion and mind. And, she seems to have a backstory that might be interesting.

What I specifically like is that this series is not about a group of young, beautiful people that seem to handle themselves as if they have the wisdom of fifty year olds. That’s a treat these days.

There are still so many roads to discover, like what’s on the other side of the wall.

Over the last weeks I’ve read a lot of posts on different sites that are all asking the question f it will be cancelled or renewed. The ratings have not been the best overall, but for Fox they weren’t that bad. If you take DVR ratings in consideration, which you need to do with an sci-fi series, the figures are even a bit better (Wiki page)

What should Almost Human do better in the second season?

The episodes should have aired in order
It is not the first time Fox intentionally rearranged episodes of sci-fi shows. Most notably is Firefly which they also cancelled after 13 episodes. They also did it with Fringe. Unfortunately it messes with the original intentions and gives the viewers a few question marks like with Kennex's traitorous ex-girlfriend and Dorian's memories.

Where are we going: the arc
We still do not have the ambitious story arc that other fantastic sci-fi shows like The X-Files and Fringe have given us. We need ambitious story lines that are packed with scientific and philosophical ideas. Although we have the scientific ideas, we fall short on the philosophical ones. What do these technological inventions mean to us humans, how does it affect us and what decisions do we need to make? Are the issues ethical? Yes they are to Kennex and Dorian, but what if they would happen if they get into the grey area of those questions? What are the questions the future would like to make us think about now?

And last we’ve got an issue that I, as a European viewer, am not really familiar with. We do not have those specific evenings like comedy evenings on a network. Evenings are more balanced over here. But still we’ve got big shows other series have to compete with. Even the fact that Bones is moving back to Monday at 8pm seems to send a signal that Almost Human is done. Moving the series to Friday night might seems to make it worse, but that would mean we get a second season and that’s better than no season at all.

As we all know (us Firefly fans), Fox doesn’t have a great reputation on keeping sci-fi shows on the air. Here are some of the more prominent sci-fi shows that aired on Fox after 2000, three of which were created by prominent directors James Cameron and Joss Whedon.

Reading back what I’ve written, it almost feels like the show is doomed, but I do not believe it is. I do want a second season as I’ve had fun moments with it and I’m still watching the episodes with a lot of pleasure. Although I’m not in the US rating system, I somehow hope it will help.

What do you all think?

poll

Comments (168)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love this show, it's one of the best sci-fis since Firefly and Fringe... please don't cancel this show. My husband and I look forward to it each week and were waiting to see it again in it's second season. This show ROCKS - what the hell is wrong with the networks they keep cancelling good shows and crap stays on forever!! This show has it all good writing, great acting and a great scifi adventure in the middle of a challenging work week! I love it and am soooo disappointed it's been cancelled.
Flag
Save Almost Human has started a new initiative to get the Syfy network to pick up the show. Head over there and see how you can help. We need all of you!
Flag
I really enjoy Almost Human. I am sick of all the reality shows and like Almost Human because it is different and funny. My son just started watching shortly before the final episode and had started looking forward to it each week. I hope it will be picked up next season.
Flag
Sorry to tell you, but it has been cancelled a few days ago. I am so disappointed.
Flag
I would really like a second season to focus on those mysterious memories of Dorian's "childhood" as well as more stuff on Chromes (the whole nature v nurture stuff) like why can't Stahl be a great cop instead of whatever lifestyle Chromes are expected to have.
other questions include beyond the wall, the synthetic soul programme, John's past and other meta questions that were explored in movies like I, Robot and Blade Runner.
Flag
We need another show
Flag
Let's have at least one more season of Almost Human!
Flag
to loyal fans and viewers of almost human,

i am a fan of almost human the sci fi tv show on fox, me and my fiancee were loyal viewers until word got out that almost human was not renewed for a second season.
this show deserves a second season that should continue on the great story and chemistry of kennex(karl urban) and dorian(micheal ealy) the relationship between man and machine should be explore with these two and we deserve to know more about kennox's wife and cluster memories.

the stories i also want the producers to explore is the synthetic soul that give machines personalities like dorian, but the big question i want answers on as you do a well is when dorian creator went over THE WALL to do experiment on the synthetic souls-what the hell is behind that wall we cant see yet.

I am asking all who believe this show deserves its due then i want you or anyone who can read this and feel how i feel and loves this show then head over to

http://www.change.org/petitions/save-almost-human

or

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/fox-broadcasting-company-do-not-cancel-almost-human

lets get our show back

Flag
I've said it over-and-over again on TV.com, this show can be the gold standard for fun SF on television if only it gets the chance! Everything about it shows more potential than half the SF shows that have premiered in the last 10 yrs, but is the PTB are going to play Bogart in Treasure of the Sierra Madre what can we do?!
Flag
Fox should take a hint from ABC and Castle. Castle was almost cancelled it's first season as well but now look at it!
Flag
When you tweet this poll it doesn't even say which show you are talking about...surely it needs to be to get more interest....
Flag
Thank you for tweeting it! Completely agree with you on the interest it should get. I'm trying to get it to Fox but still haven't found the right e-mail address. I myself have no Twitter account so I regrettably can't see how it shows up.
Flag
there is a change.org petition with over a 1000 signatures at present. It won't let me post the link here but maybe you can find it. Its easy to set up a twitter account:)
Flag
I do not have twitter account by choice :-). But I would like to find the petition but it was not enough information to find it. The page can be linked via the link symbol in the header of each comment (between the striped T and the three bars).
Flag
I have sent you a pm with a 'how to'.
Flag
Ha oh dear I have no idea how you did that. I must be daft. Never mind. you found it thats the main thing:)
Flag
Found them, for further reference they bare here and here.
Flag
the link doesn't seem to show up doing what you said. The petition is really easy to find just go to the change.org website and search for almost human. there are 2 petitions at the top of the list
Flag
I thought I inserted the link but I can't see it when this posts
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
First of all, since Cory mentioned the episode order there's been too much talk and blame on it.

• For all we know, the show's creators chose this
  • Either way, there's really no difference and I don't think anyone would have noticed (had Cory not told us)
(business like bullet points, don't argue ;) )

I agree about the story arc, sort of. Another layer is needed, but also the lessons learned from previous shows (TSCC, Fringe) about the audience tell us it is not so simple. I doubt any show has had a better story arc than Fringe, but each season was a 'will it / won't it' for cancellation due to audience numbers.
Flag
Wyman has expressed himself a few times on the subject. It was not his decision, but the networks. he tweeted:

Flag
Thanks for that. I didn't know about the tweet. Still..... bullet points rule, right? ;)
Flag
Best Scifi series these days, be a crime not to renew it.
Flag
Damn Fox, I made myself promise not to care about another show on that network. They cancel everything I love and my taste is not that bad! Will Syfy take the show if they cancel it on FOX, Syfy needs more scripted series, I tired of these reality shows on now.
Flag

i am a fan of almost human the sci fi tv show on fox, me and my fiancee were loyal viewers until word got out that almost human was not renewed for a second season.
this show deserves a second season that should continue on the great story and chemistry of kennex(karl urban) and dorian(micheal ealy) the relationship between man and machine should be explore with these two and we deserve to know more about kennox's wife and cluster memories.

the stories i also want the producers to explore is the synthetic soul that give machines personalities like dorian, but the big question i want answers on as you do a well is when dorian creator went over THE WALL to do experiment on the synthetic souls-what the hell is behind that wall we cant see yet.

I am asking all who believe this show deserves its due then i want you or anyone who can read this and feel how i feel and loves this show then head over to

or

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/fox-broadcasting-company-do-not-cancel-almost-human

lets get our show back
Flag
WOW, I've noticed spamming msgs got worse lately but wth is happening..
Flag
I swear they have them up before I even hit SUBMIT on my reviews. They are a creepy, mysterious bunch, run by Rudy and his Sex/Clerical Bots
Flag
To all those who need a fix until Monday...

Flag
Just one season? I hope not. Almost Human is awesome and cancelling it when it has great potential seems rather stupid to me. I am aware that Almost Human doesn't seem to have a lot of viewers, but it's just the birth of the show and when it is better, people will be spreading the love and respect of the show to their friends, and those friends to their other friends (if that makes sense). By then, it will be a big thing, something FOX hopes to have.

This show has an excellent cast, engaging characters with interesting backstories and relationships, and of course plots that do make people think, even a bit (maybe not the hard-core philosophical ones, but it should come in the future). There is mystery, humour and adventure, things that appeal to people. It has light-hearted comedy that balance what is hopefully to come a big, revealing season finale - emphasis on season, not series - one with an cliff-hanging arc that will make people crave for more and demand FOX not to cancel the show.

I do agree there are somethings that the creators can improve on. I have already mentioned the need of the philosophical ideas and an arcing plot. But rather than kicking the show down because it is missing these things, FOX should be continuing it so that the creators can build them on the show. In my opinion, what the show has already over-powers what the show lacks.

I have said this once, and I will say this again: if FOX decides to cancel Almost Human, I will be extreme disappointed.
More+
Flag

or

lets get our show back
Flag
Completely agree with you on the wishlist (as I also described in the post).
Flag
I really like this show, I would have liked it better if it had run in the order the episodes were shot. The main actros have great chemistry, it has humor, good potential for developing a backstory and mythology. I hope it get another season.
Flag
I want Almost Human to continue for lotsa reasons not least of which is that Karl Urban & Michael Ealy have been busting their asses for years and never copped a break.
I'm a straight bloke but it seems to me both of those guys scrub up better than just about all other male leads and much better than any of the actors currently tryin to pass themselves off as barely post adolescent vampires/werewolves/wizards/warlocks in alla the other new dramas.
Urban & Ealy can act alla those aging teen types right off the set.

The acting in almost human has been far superior to what viewers have learned to expect from a limited budget TV drama.
I have one question mark over Mackenzie Crook (Rudy); but he has been stuck with some incongruous stories and clumsy dialog in his first US show.

This series does need an over arching mob of baddies though. Not a red john type more like some sort of illuminati mob who want to take or have taken over the world.

There is little point in going to the extra expense of moving a series into the future if all the stories are just murder/robbery of the week with slightly better tech.
More+
Flag
Although Rudy seems to be kind off a nerd, it also means this character has the biggest opportunity to grow.
Flag
I loved Dark Angel and was devastated it was canceled after season two.
Firefly was cool too and the ridiculous episode change annoying
Hope they keep Almost Human since there is much more out there to tell.

Flag
I enjoyed the show before I stopped watching. I will see the whole season, but I will likely do it over the summer and I will see it in the order in which it was supposed to follow. I hate it when networks do that crap. The show has all of the makings of a good show. Great cast, interesting premise, you can go a lot of places and do a lot of things with the future. But it needs an arcing plot, they need something big to be against, anything, a big bad, looming piece of disturbing legislation or issues. Something. Just having a day to day kind of thing leaves it open for shuffling the episode order and that is never good.
Flag
This show has such broad potential! That's what is great about well written futuristic shows, you're only limited by your imagination. I enjoy the interaction between the two main characters is very entertaining for me and I really enjoy a show that doesn't take itself too seriously (Buffy, Veronica Mars, Firefly...) I also enjoy the budding romance call me shallow but that's what I enjoy! If I want something deeper I'll watch a movie or read a book!
Flag
I like the show very much. It has everything a good sf show should have and I am ready to watch 6-7 maybe 10 seasons if they manage to keep it interesting for that long.
Flag
It seems to me as if they're missing an opportunity here, by showing us so little of the global story arch of the show. As of now, there were just a few hints and glimpses, but in general the show is just a CSI in the future. The characters are cool and I still have fun watching it, but it seems like an expensive show, I doubt just being fun can keep it afloat.
Flag
As I suggested - I think Wyman believed he would have a back 9 to tell more of the arc-ed story
Flag
Well, he should've hooked us up with it sooner, instead of believing he'll have 9 more shots. Those first pages of every book is what makes you read till the ending, not the hope that something may happen later.
Flag
I agree - bu we don't know what FOX lead him to believe. I might have been assumed he'd get 20 eps like FRINGE. The Network reserves the right to change it's mind and the are not required to tell the people making the show in a timely manner. But that is bad business.
Flag
The definition of the word FOX is Bad business :) So I will agree with you and put the "blame" on FOX, not the authors of the show.
Flag
I chose "other". I want a second season (and maybe a third, fourth, etc.) if and only if they make it serialized instead of case of the week. If they continue with the case of the week stuff, I don't want them to return.

The show has been a huge disappointment so far. (I have seen 11 of the 12 that have aired so far). I think Karl Urban and Michael Ealy are great. I think the episodes are directed and edited well enough. The nerd is OK. I think the dialogue is good, and sometimes very good. I could complain that anyone on the planet would be more convincing as a cop than Minka Kelly, but that's not a major problem. The ONLY major problem is that there's no story. Unfortunately that's a HUGE problem. It's really killing the show.

Even BAD serialized shows like The Following can make me think "I wonder what's going to happen in the next episode". But Almost Human...every week I see that there's a new episode coming, and then nothing. No desire to find out what's going to happen. No reason to watch it. Not until I've watched everything else from the same week and realize that I have nothing else to watch.

I don't understand the complaint "they should have aired the episodes in the correct order". I agree that it was a huge mistake to air the episodes of Firefly in the wrong order, but Firefly had a story. Almost Human doesn't. With Firefly, they also aired the episode that introduced all the characters pretty late. They didn't make that mistake with Almost Human.
More+
Flag
I think we have given enough concrete examples as to why it should have been. But I agree - it didn't wreck the show. It is just - when yo uhave to pay attention to details as @Rolamb and I have to do reviews and articles worth reading - you see the flow of the big picture. And I watched them in the correct order and the series just FLOWED. the things that pop up just felt organic. the relationships (especially Kennex/Dorian) just FELT more natural.

I just have to strongly disagree having watched in the correct order. Do the same and if you still disagree, then we have a solid discussion/argument.
Flag
Fringe started off as a case of the week, it wasn't until the second season that they got going on the serialized episodes, and that show turned out alright. I think whoever is making scifi doesn't get scifi fans. Nerds don't want a case of the week show, whereas general audiences do. But general audiences will never watch scifi, so they should cater to the scifi audience instead. You might have lower ratings but you'll get a hard core following who will buy box-sets, bluerays, merchandise etc. It's like the execs don't get this.
Flag
not only fringe, how about person of interest? it's one of the better shows out there at the moment imo. It also started off as a 'number of the week'-show but then pieces here and there came together in GREAT storytelling.
Flag
I watched the first couple episodes and again the case of the week didn't hold me. I'll give it another shot now. It's hard to know which show is going to develop into great serialization, and how much time to give it waiting for it to happen. Sleepy Hollow got a great balance for a new show, but I think limiting it to a shorter episode run means they push the story and we have less time wasted on filler episodes.
Flag
I love Person of Interest, the bromance going on is really good imo, character development is good. In the beginning maybe not so much but later on definitely better. I am curious about how you will find the show after watching the first two seasons :)
Flag
The Following is just a "bad" show. if we start comparing what other shows got a renewal then Almost Human should get renewals for the next 2000 years...

They have a story though, the father of all DRMs is up to something big, he went over the "wall" (huh what wall? and what's so bad on the other side?) and that was that though... and that's why you don't broadcast out of order...

Flag
Everyone knows that "beyond the wall" there be white walkers - also - Winter is Coming" - just gotta get HBO to let up on the rights to some of the GoT rights...
Flag
I was thinking huge man-eating GIANTS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2maZ_1Qyk&t=5m47s
Flag
That happened in episode 9, and it was the only episode with a case of the week that looks like it's going to have consequences later. It was also intended to be episode 9 all along. (I'm going by the production codes on Wikipedia).

The only episode that was supposed to be aired earlier than that episode but wasn't, is the one about the drug that makes people smarter. It was supposed to be episode 4 but was aired as episode 10. It didn't explain the wall.

Your comment about the wall is interesting. I thought that maybe I just hadn't paid enough attention to the earlier episodes, because something as big as the wall must be explained, right? But since you didn't know about the wall either before episode 9, I guess the writers didn't and still don't want us to know why there's a huge wall around the city. That seems like a very strange decision.

There are only a few things that I think might have made slightly more sense if the episodes have aired in order:

1. Kennex destroying robots left and right. Why is he still doing that in episode 8? Ah, it was supposed to be episode 2. It would have been a stupid scene in episode 2 as well, but when it happens in episode 8, it's much worse.

2. The scenes where they talk about the incident that happened before the show started. However, I would say that they haven't talked enough about it for the order to really matter.

3. Minor details in the dialogue between Kennex and Dorian.

I agree that The Following is a bad show, but I find it FAR more entertaining than Almost Human, simply because it's able to make me curious about what's going to happen. It doesn't do anything else better than Almost Human, but that one thing is enough. So I think it deserves to be higher rated.
More +
Flag
"The Wall" is mentioned in almost every episode - although it's usually as an aside (ie: in a radio bulletins or tv broadcasts). Episode 9 is not the first time you hear about it ... it's not even the first time you see it (The wide city shot in the intro shows it) it's just the first time you see it up close. See the Almost Human wiki for the list of mentions: http://almost-human.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wall

The show introduces the wall subtly (it's just there and an accepted part of life) and most of the audience seem to have missed all the mentions. Bit sad really.
Flag
Interesting. I've been wondering how far out the wall is since we don't see it in the opening shot of the city...but you're right, it is visible. It's just that we literally only see the city for a second, so there isn't enough time (for me at least) to notice the wall.

That shot makes it clear that it's not a wall around the city. It's a wall around half the city, and everything we've seen so far has happened outside the wall.

A wall would normally protect the inside from the outside, but here we have a wall that protects the outside from the inside. So is the inside some kind of prison? Like in Escape from New York? Maybe a quarantine zone? Maybe it's just to separate the rich from the poor.
Flag
Which is why it is all the more important to follow up on EP9 and not leave it dangling there, people even forget the guy went over the wall in the first place...
Flag
i was expecting a followup on that wall topic in the next ep but so far no, which seems wrong for me, either due to out of order broadcasting plans or bad writer decisions... the 2 separate society theme has always been one of the more intriguing classic concepts ever since HG Well's Time Machine (Morlocks vs. Eloi)
Flag
Just posting this with @Rolamb since it was not promoted and took a shitload of work. Thought you guys in the longer threads could use a fix:

Flag
I was disappointed they didn't follow up on the wall too. I love sci-fi plots that make you ponder what lies beyond a dividing point. Logan's Run, THX 1138 and the anime Ergo Proxy all share that similar dystopian future concept of a populace being shielded from the outside world.
Flag
I really hope there will be a second season as this is one of my favorite shows, and I would hate to see it resigned to the same sad fates as Dark Angel and Firefly. =/
Flag
Chose "other" from 3x given options & explaining: This kind of amazing series needs to have at least 3x season's "4x preferred minimum" cause of it's nicely made camera shots and how well atmosphere is built and never tired of convo's between Kennex and Dorian while driving :P Very well said by RoryjamesSaywer: "The Kennex and Dorian relationship is strong and a great basis for the show. Along with the strong and always interesting stories. Even just watching the convos and relationship between Dorian and John is just as interesting as the action." &-- So agree and was about to write kinda same,but was reading before my post so didn't.

It's nice to see movie screen ppl coming more to Tv screen. Karl Urban,Matthew McConaughey,Woody Harrelson and maybe more have come already,but can't recall others atm. Karl Urban fits well for Tv screen and don't know about Matthew or Woody as haven't watched their stuff,but can imagine at least Woody to fit perfectly. Oh yeah True Detective has 9,5 rating in IMDB..wiuh. Silly that Terranova got so 10m viewers in it's one and only season and then crap Alcatraz gets only bit less and gets canceled too. Terranova should've been saved by Netflix or some other tv channel.

I wonder how many viewers serie need to have for it to to be renewed ? Pls pls ppl who decide about renewing if u r reading this blog then do not cancel Almost Human
More+
Flag
This is a great show. Unfortunately, I don't see Fox giving it another chance, they already gave it as many chances as episodes aired. Maybe they cut this season on episode 13 and then they send it to burn off on Fridays for another 13 episodes.
Shows die if they don't get good live ratings. As good as Fringe used to get during seasons 1 and 2. And Almost Human is not getting those numbers.

I hope I'm wrong and Fox suddenly gets crazy and keeps Almost Human for 5 seasons... who knows...
Flag
I was kinda of hoping and expecting for a last three episode arc with the story about the other side of the wall. I was disappointed last week's episode was another procedural. I think the show need to be more ambitious. That would at least win them critics even if ratings are not good.

On a side note, I am surprised Terra Nova got 10 million viewers and the highest number among all the show you listed. It was one of my favorite show and It was cancelled even with those numbers.
Flag
A great show like Almost Human might be dropped and they keep that mindless Brooklyn Nine whatever on? AH is a very good series. There is so much potential there. But FOX needs to give it a chance. If they decide to drop it maybe the SyFy channel will pick it up. Its too good a show to ax before it can be shown the way its supposed to be........!!! Keep ALMOST HUMAN Please!!!
Flag
Here's a comparison of Average Ratings for Fox shows:

(1st No. is 18-49 Demo, 2nd No. is Viewers [millions])

1The Simpsons (renewed) 2.73 6.09
2Sleepy Hollow (renewed) 2.60 7.46
3New Girl 2.60 5.36
4Family Guy (renewed) 2.50 5.04
5The Following 2.22 6.27
6American Dad! (renewed) 2.01 4.16
7Bob's Burgers (renewed) 1.98 4.22
8Almost Human 1.91 6.29
9Brooklyn Nine-Nine 1.86 4.30
10Bones 1.84 6.94
11Glee (renewed) 1.58 4.30
12Dads 1.39 3.50
13The Mindy Project 1.39 2.78
14Rake 1.23 4.89
15Enlisted 0.79 2.46
16Raising Hope 0.71 2.16

In terms of overall viewers it's doing better than all of the other Fox shows except Sleepy Hollow and Bones. After seeing this I think we might get a second season after all and if Fox was serious about shaking things up with regards to pilots/series orders/episode counts etc. then maybe we could be looking at a 13 episodes/season sci-fi show, which I think will be great for Almost Human.

The biggest surprise up there... how the hell are more people watching the rancid shit-storm that is Dads than the charming and funny Raising Hope?
Flag
They killed Raising Hope by placing it on Friday. That's the death slot for shows.
Flag
wow, The Simpsons has pretty decent ratings for a cartoon running for 25 seasons. No wonder it keeps getting renewed.
Flag
I loved the first few episodes of Rake more than I expected. It was interesting and fun to watch !
Flag
@patsully had a very interesting graph and article posted a few days ago. It shows in what age groups the viewers for the Fox shows reside and might give some ideas where they might want to expand a bit. Except for Sleepy Hollow that they could not neglect, the only renewed ones are in their 30 - 40 audience. They seem to have little competition there so it's clear why they have been renewed already. Rake, Bones and Almost Human have a big part of their audience outside the 18 - 49 demo and might be most in danger. It reflects the figures of those shows above.
Flag
Also, that would have been a bit more interesting if The CW had been included - Fox may have had a little competition (emphasis on little).
Flag
Makes it seem a bit more obvious why Parks & Rec and Community keep getting renewed - despite the fact they are the best sitcoms on TV, but at NBC!
Flag
Fox should give this to another channel. I don't see it flourish under their wings... having said that I was skeptical before the pilot and called out the cancel axe right off the bat given the overall premise of the show. Since the pilot i have been enjoying the show quite a bit and think it deserves a second season.
Flag
Fox Accepted and supproted his Fringe, so why not Almost Human? They even gave us a final 5th season (ok, half season) to close the story line for the fans. So sometimes they deserve us.
Flag
Maybe Fringe had the numbers, Almost Human doesn't for Fox's big wings, I guess.
Flag
No, Fringe's ratings were worse for at least two years, maybe more. Even the series finale only got a 1.0, which would put it at #15 on TrevPlatt's list.
Flag
Posting this ( sorry @Rolamb ) all in the thread so I can get it to supporters of the show since TV.COM won't promoted it- copyright issues)). Spent a lot of time compiling it - wanted to make sure all the Ah fans get to see it.

Flag
not weird at all, you linked ratings for the final ep season 5. I was quoting viewer numbers for season one as we want to compare season 1 numbers here... google for "fringe viewer numbers" ;)
Flag
Weird. I thought that 1.0 sounded too low. I got it from here. It was the first hit I got when I googled "fringe ratings".
Flag
not sure about that as wiki says fringe ended with 10m viewers allover for season1 which would put it ahead of almost human as far as mere viewer numbers go but then again, doesn't necessarily mean fox wont renew, i hope they do...
Flag
I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with Almost Human. The show has a fantastic premise which could tackle some of the most interesting themes there is and yet it continues to barely brush past them.
However, I believe that FOX has a lot to do with it. They wanted this show to be a procedural and nothing more. Which in my opinion is a real shame. J.H. Wymans imagination wasted on a procedural? Sorry but that's the main problem.

I still really hope the show gets a second season if for no other reason then to see if FOX allows it to be what the creators intended it to be - something much bigger & better.

Your paragraph sums up my issues with the show perfectly:

We still do not have the ambitious story arc that other fantastic sci-fi shows like The X-Files and Fringe have given us. We need ambitious story lines that are packed with scientific and philosophical ideas. Although we have the scientific ideas, we fall short on the philosophical ones. What do these technological inventions mean to us humans, how does it affect us and what decisions do we need to make? Are the issues ethical? Yes they are to Kennex and Dorian, but what if they would happen if they get into the grey area of those questions? What are the questions the future would like to make us think about now?

More+
Flag
Thanks for the kind words.
Flag
Thank you for this article! I'm so glad there are people out there who really want to give this show the chance that it deserves. Here's hoping we get a second season. :-)
Flag
It's a great show with great casting. I just love the car scenes with John and Dorian they just add such humor to the show.
Flag
They are surprisingly good intermezzo's with lots of comic relief. They also give us some extra information on new technologies like that smart bed.
Flag
Excellent post and I agree with all of it.
So are we getting a season 2?
Flag
I put my penny in, now Fox have to do their part.
Flag
I'm loving Almost Human. Part procedural part story driven and character based. The Kennex and Dorian relationship is strong and a great basis for the show along with the strong and always interesting stories. Even just watching the convos and relationship between Dorian and John is just as interesting as the action. The characters alone are strong enough to carry the show but with other great aspects too this show is super solid. So it better get renewed. Season 1 has been really strong and built a great foundation for future stories and seasons.
Flag
Rolamb, may I quote: &&
Spot on! I'm sick and tired of the 'young and beautiful' who manage to save the world. I'd go for messed up types like Kennex, tech geeks like Rudy and slightly derailed androids like Dorian any time. People with flaws make for much more interesting material.
Next to that, it seems that SciFi is and will always be the odd one out. I'm from Europe too, and stating out loud that I like SciFi (as a woman too!) raises quite some eyebrows and is always good for mild mockery.
Not that I mind, I'm mentioning this to illustrate that SciFi will never score really, REALLY high ratings. That said, I'm hopeful that Fox gives AH a second season. The interaction between Dorian and John is great, the acting superb. I strongly believe that real life chemistry between actors makes for better tv. Almost Human is proof of that.
The fans are making themselves heard, fortunately. So FOX, renew the show, please? Give us more of Kennex, Dorian, Stahl, Maldonado, Paul and Rudy?

Flag
You may quote me, although I do not know what && stands for :-).

At least stating you like SciFi will give you something to talk about and to be honest, I would rather take you for a drink then I would mock you.
Flag
Thank you Rolamb, very kind.
Errr.... that's odd: quote: What I specifically like is that this series is not about a group of young, beautiful people that seem to handle themselves as if they have the wisdom of fifty year olds. That’s a treat these days.
End quote. :-) Hence me climbing the barricades. Go Rolamb!
I find great comfort in the fact that all the clever guys from The Big Bang Theory are completely into SciFi. That makes me either a nerd or a clever girl ;-)
And what's not to like about Kennex? I wouldn't kick him from my bed, that's for sure!

Flag
I like this show. What really bothers me is that it is run out of order and that screws up the storyline and makes me feel jangled when watching because the characters are acting unnaturally towards each other. The natural progression of their relationships shifts causing an irritating flow. Fortunately I love the characters and want to get to know them more. I also want more about the environment especially a continuation about the wall around the city. I really hope it is picked up.
Flag
And this is a shameLESS plug (cause it's not for ME) for @Rolamb's Farscape review coming tomorrow on the Farscape Community page.

Flag
Thanks
Flag
Just a heads up if you missed it and the evidence for my grand conspiracy re: Kennex Sr. - next weeks's preview:

Almost Human: Straw Man (Finale)

Also a shameFULL plug for my review for the latest episode, as Rolamb was so kind to mention:

Almost Human: “Beholder” (PHOTO RECAP)
Flag
Staff
Hey @edshrinker, that first link doesn't seem to work for me. Can you repost the link?
Flag
I hadn't seen it (those downloads do not include those promo's), but the link doesn't work. So, this is one that does.

Flag
I love Almost Human's touch of humanity to a very advanced alien-looking world. It's a flashy world but we go to know about it slowly as characters solved the cases around the city instead of throwing us headfirst in the look at this modern wonder gadget kind of scenario. This laid-back approach is quite right and I like it as it builds the face of a city with a character than just a bunch of skyscrapers full of lights. We know it has underground hackers and medical practitioners. Human connection has reduced, chromes are literally at top of everything and the concept genetic perfection based discrimination has been introduced. Police presence is quite heavy in this world, as is the presence of radical organisations against the rise of tech if you remember the hostage episode who could or not belong to the other side of the wall. Yes I want a story arc heavy season 2 but still not at the cost of this very detailed and real world building that JH Wyman has in mind for us,
Flag
I like that you see all those fine details that pop up in those episodes and not only see the two detectives doing detecting. It makes the world so much more colourful.
Flag
It does and all those gadgets are icing on the cake!
Flag
First of all: thank you for all the work (looking up viewer numbers and series creators and comparing the ratings to other shows on Monday night)!

So I chose "other", apparently the first one. I'm not sure whether or not I like the show. I really enjoyed some of the episodes and stories: especially the XRN-storyline in episode 9, the big reveal of Dorien's memories in episode 11, the bits and pieces of John's girlfriend. And then the show goes 99% procedural with its penultimate episode.
I don't know about you guys, but I was disappointed. Sure, it was nice to finally get an episode where Stahl is not just standing in the background looking pretty, but it felt off. Like it should have aired before. And also what about that wall? Did I miss an explainer in one of the first episodes? Or was the only information the one we got in ep 9? And the preview for next episode left me with mixed feelings. I hope it won't just focus on some random old case of John's father or some serial killer, but with the 30 second preview it's hard to tell. I hope the robotics theft has something to do with Dr. Vaughn.
More+
Flag
Thank you for the kind words. Up to now, you're still the only one with 'other' (130 votes in). As I wrote in the post, we believe Wyman thought he would get another 9 episodes for a whole season and had planned his first season thus. So after 13 episodes the arc would not be that visible and episodes #13 could be more of a procedural. Watch the second season and I believe everything comes together.
Flag
I do hope it gets renewed. I too am a European viewer and don't really understand the US networks gung-ho attitude to cutting something that doesn't seem to be doing that badly.

I'm really liking all the little touches they are adding to this world each week (I really want some holographic fish!) and would love to see more. The cast have great chemistry too (Ealy and Urban in particular).

Saying that, if they are renewed I would like to see a little more focus on an overall arc. I prefer shows with more going on long term than standalone stories.
Flag
I have to believe that (like FRINGE) if Wyman has their confidence, they will give him more say about the mythology and episode order. Fingers crossed.
Flag
As you said, the show certainly can be improved, but it's really enjoyable and I'd love to see a second season. Then again, I'm really worried, because we all know Fox has THAT reputation, and if they cancelled Firefly, which was so much more perfect than Almost Human, I can't help but feel quite pessimistic about this new series fate.
Flag
A friend once told me a pessimist is an optimist with life experience. I think we should remain being optimistic as they also have given Fringe the 5 year run. AH is not yet up to a Fringe level, but Fox should give it a chance. And also, the ratings are not that bad for Fox ratings. They need something better if they want to replace it.
Flag
"They need something better if they want to replace it."

Totally agree here, and I'll do my best trying to stay optimistic!

I guess I was carried away by Rust Cohle's phylosophy :D

Flag
A couple of things they could learn from Firefly;

Human protagonists in more danger, Malcolm Reynolds and crew were in a lot of mortal danger even Malcolm losing an ear in an episode, don't need a clinical safe CSI 2047 type show, even when Chrome girl got kidnapped it felt harmless.

Some unsettling endings, Fringe had some ominous endings that had you feeling the sinister forces were insurmountable and even Firefly felt like survival for one more day or so, in a world where law enforcement can't keep up with crime there's a lot of drinks after the case of the week, is this a blade runner-esque future or Ally Mcbeal?

I want Kennex to shoot at a fleeing Zhora orhave his fingers broken by Roy Batty or Minka attacked by a shapeshifting nurse after re-learning to load her gun. They got the acting chops, just need the scripts to up the stakes a little.

That said, I'm impressed with some of the more sentimental episodes, Kennex's revenge arc and Dorians ability for both the levity and the serious action stuff when it's all on the line.

Flag
"I want Kennex to shoot at a fleeing Zhora orhave his fingers broken by Roy Batty or Minka attacked by a shapeshifting nurse after re-learning to load her gun. They got the acting chops, just need the scripts to up the stakes a little."

Yes, yes. We absolutely need more action. I remember I was totally amazed the first time Dorian literally threw a car aside. LOL They're trying so hard to keep it human that I almost forget he CAN do this kind of things, which are pretty cool!

So yeah, they should also exploit the potential of the Chrome subject and give us more drama, so we can appreciate even more the great humor they're able to deliver!
Flag
I am particularly attracted to the idea of Minka fighting for her life. That would make a great picture. She would survive, but as a Chrome she should be able to make it into some gracious fight.
Flag
Yeah there has got to be some anti-chrome group out there, I resent and dislike chromes now :-) Or maybe a Chrome splinter group that Minka can pitch her chrome enhanced intelligence and skills against to save her own life or Kennex's
Flag
More focus on the DRN's v MX's is a must. Dorian is obviously much better than the ineffectual MX's. We've had glimpses of Dorian's programming flaws, they need addressing with the help? of the inventor over the wall. Kennex will have to explore what is out there.
Rudi and Stahl featured more, plenty of scope for season 2, here's hoping.

Flag
I completely agree with you that they set up so much more to enhance on. These 13 episodes have been used to set up the new world, the characters, the flaws and possibilities and now we need to get some kind of fulfilment for those expectations. As we did not get a full season, we at leats need to get a second one.
Flag
I put in the comments of my review, but the adjusted numbers really put Almost Human in a good light as far as Fox Mondays are concerned. It was Fox's most watched show (beating The Following) and although a 1.6 bites, CBS sitcoms and The Voice will always be a tough ratings challenge. I am pragmatic, but I think AH gets a season 2, 13 episode run on Fridays with a back 9 if it keeps above the 1.6 area. Just IMO.
Flag
The Following has also not been renewed yet, so no comparison there yet.
Flag
10 seasons! This and Helix is my go-to sci-fi, there are still some bumps here and there, but things are looking good :D
Flag
I like your enthousiasm, but I'll setlle for six seasons and a movie.
Flag
Rolamb - the charts are great. They give perspective on the numbers instead of (this is bombing because it is a 1.8). As for the story arc - if my theory is correct, then we would have seen that jaw dropping reveal this spring. FRINGE did it in the last of their FULL SEASON (23 eps?). To have that ready in episode 12 or 13 would not be logical if Wyman thought he had all spring to get to it. I mean, think about the pace of the show. They really have been in no rush to get anywhere - and that goes against the logic of today's TV. Intelligence (or lack there of) spilled it's load 3 episodes in.

Your article is SPOT ON. Let's hope FOX learned it's lesson from the DVD sales of FRINGE and gives AH some time to build it's story and finish it. So much potential. And so LITTLE good sci-fi. Let's hope it gets the chance to shine.
Flag
I see @vr182 mentioned the same thing - so we are not alone. Amen, brother/sister!
Flag
They've hinted at a few things that could potentially be the main part of the story-- primarily The Wall, then the chromes, and then there's still Kennex's almost completely dropped character arc with his ex girlfriend. I imagine these things will come together more at the end of the season finale.

Oh, I also noticed Kennex's drivers license said "Quadrant Four". So something's up with that.
Flag
I do hope and expect these things to come back in the second season as they are now just hanging in mid air and Wyman is not known for doing that.
Flag
And the plot dropped about Kennex's dad stealing robotics from evidence. It is in line with Danica's head and Nigel on the other side with his DRNs and all those Synthetic Souls. We could see a game changer as epic as FRINGE's if it gets some time.
Flag
And who's side do they eventually take?
Flag
@phxcowbot All those ideas are great and could be used in the series. It would involve detetcives, new technologies and even those philosophical questions I like so much. If the other side of the wall needs energy, steals it to make some people survive, how will Kennex and Dorian react of they find out the real reason for the theft? Interesting question.
Flag
Johnny LaRocket's Nigel could have an alternaverse - like Fringe did - on the other side of that wall, and they could start - - - raiding for parts? kidnappings? Taliban guerrilla warfare against the government? stealing energy resources? threaten an EMP to take away wifi and that very cool golf VR set. the possibilities are HUGE. I'd like to see the pitch meeting with FOX for a second season of AH. Feels to me like a coin toss as to whether it comes back.
Flag
I just watched Monday's episode, and I was impressed. That's the kind of stuff this show needs to be airing at least every other episode. As much as I want to love this show, the out of order airings, lack of focus on a season long arc, and minimal character development has been an issue.

I do believe this show can pull through. I really think that if they're given a second season, it'll be a similar result to that of Fringe. Fringe didn't even get its show long arc really going till the end of season 1. And Almost Human seems to be following the same pattern. They have all of the elements for a solid tv show here. They just have to execute accordingly.
Flag
Fringe had 20 episodes in it's first season, so seven more to establish a base and get an arc going. As @edshrinker, I believe that Wyman only got to establishing the base and now hopes to get a second season to get to the arc. Lots of small indications have been shown, now how do they come together?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members