An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)

It's almost Thanksgiving and the broadcast networks are STILL releasing new shows? Well, given some of the stinkers we've seen this season, we can't complain about fresh meat—and the slab we're about to sample has the potential to turn out like a nice, juicy ribeye. Wanna know why? Because it's about ROBOTS, and robots are always cool. I'm referring, of course, to Fox's much-hyped Almost Human, and since I've already seen the pilot, I'm here to help you decide whether it's for you in another edition of "So What's This Show Like, TV.com?" 

Almost Human, so this is a show about January Jones?

I guess she was pretty bad in that X-Men movie, but no. This sci-fi drama is set in the near-ish future, like during a time you could live to see if you put down the Pizza Rolls and eat a salad for a once. John Kennex is a cop in Los Angeles in 2048, and in 2048, all cops are partnered up with an android. But John doesn't really like robot people, especially because their probability-oriented logic once got some of his friends killed. Eventually he's paired up with Dorian, an outdated model that focuses on mimicking human emotions. BAM! There's your Odd Couple buddy cop drama!

Who came up with the idea in the first place, and who plays who?

Almost Human is the brainchild of former Fringe boss J.H. Wyman, who created the series and will serve as showrunner. Karl Urban, the friendly Kiwi star of Star Trek, plays the gruff human Kennex, and Michael Ealy, who starred in Sleeper Cell, Common Law, and FlashForward, plays friendly android Dorian. Almost Human's LAPD is also home to plenty of other familiar faces, with the prettiest one belonging to Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights). Lili Taylor, Mackenzie Crook, and Michael Irby round out the cast. 

When does Almost Human come off the factory line?

Fox will unbox the series with a two-night, two-episode series premiere: The pilot will air this Sunday, November 17 at 8pm, and Episode 2 will air the following night, on Monday, November 18 at 8pm. Almost Human was originally scheduled to premiere on November 4, but Fox postponed the show's debut to give it a boost from football (and probably so it could use Almost Human robots instead of Cletus, its football mascot, in sports promos). The show's regular time slot will be Mondays at 8pm; with Bones moving to Fridays, it will form an all-new Monday-night programming block with Sleepy Hollow.

What types of humans will like Almost Human?

This show is for sci-fi buffs, definitely. But there's also a police procedural aspect to it that could appease those who are less-inclined to embrace geekdom. If you liked Fringe—and you better have liked Fringe—then absolutely check it out.

What's to like about Almost Human?

I love the future world the series has created, which is impressive for a television show. It's all Blade Runner-y, and it looks way better than any network sci-fi series deserves to look. You can expect Fringe-style philosophical questions to make an appearance, as Almost Human is all about the human experience as perceived through the eyes of a grumpy man and a robot. Urban is good as Kennex, but so far I'm more interested in seeing what Ealy can do with Dorian; this role is a huge opportunity to elevate himself beyond "that guy from Barbershop 2."

What does not compute?

Sci-fi pilots tend to be pretty weighed down; with their complicated premises and unfamiliar futures, they face the rough task of introducing a new world while getting viewers up to speed, and that means exposition up the wazoo. Yep, that happens in the pilot for Almost Human. In fact, most of the pilot feels brushed over with one coat while everything is established, and that trickles down to the characters. BUT! That's pretty normal, especially in this genre, and the show's characters and storylines will (hopefully) develop and thicken as the show matures. Basically, Almost Human has some bad pilotitis.  

So, should I watch it?

Yeah! Even with a bumpy start, I've got a good feeling about the future of the series. All the pieces are there, they just need some time figure out how they all fit together.

Let's take a look at a trailer!

Okay!

Almost Human premieres Sunday, November 17 at 8pm on Fox.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

113 Comments
Comments (113)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Argghhh.... I missed the premiere last night!
Flag
Haha. I like that Not Liking Fringe is NOT an Option at all. Fringe did set a bar and set it pretty high for any TV thing that has "Future", "Aliens", "Alternate Universe" type of keywords. Oh well, I just miss Fringe so I type it down that much.

I am going to watch Almost Human till it canned or end.
Flag
too bad it is going up against the Broncos vrs. Cheifs game. Who would have thought KC 9-0.
Flag
Blade Runner and J.H.Wyman in the same field sounds intriguing.
Flag
I'm watching because it gives me huge Fringe vibes, and I need to fill that void while Orphan Black is gone until April. I really hope it's more than a procedural though.
Flag
Hey, Michael Ealy is also "that guy from that USA Network cop show set in LA but filmed in New Orleans that was canceled after a season, what's its name again, Bosom Buddies? ... 'Common Law', no, that doesn't sound like it."

Anyway, I'll watch this but I won't guarantee I'll stick with it, the promos have the feeling of something Fox is itching to cancel.
Flag
I think now I'll watch but give it a little time. I don't want it too much all cop stuff but since it's about future cops I'm not sure. Maybe wait to the classic 4 ep. test but will be a hopeful watch of mine.
Flag
If I want to wach a roboty procedural that will likely be boring, I watch Almost Human.
If I want to watch a serialized TV show that makes me ask What makes me a human being, I watch the much better and original swedish Akta Manniskor (Real Human).
Flag
Considering no episodes have aired yet, how can you say the Swedish one is much better? Maybe you could like and watch both...
Flag
I will but the procedural aspect of Almost Human scares me.
Flag
this show's budget run same as Terra Nova?
Flag
I'm not a fan of cop shows, but this gives me the Blade Runs...plus, along with Sleepy Hollow, the Fringe Dudes own Monday night & I'm perfectly cool with that.
Bring it on!
Flag
Why 2048? Couldn't they have gone a little further? If anyone will ever remembers this show in 25 years, they'll be like, 'Almost Human promised us android police by 2048, and I'm still waiting on my hover board from Back To The Future!'
Flag
I heard it was the end of the world last year.
Flag
Heh! I know, right?!
You remind me that Avery Brooks shares your impatience!

Flag
I like the idea that its in the future but not too far into the future, it will keep things familiar but still more technologically advanced and I could imagine there being huge technology leaps in some area but not necessarily in others, which the trailer seems to show.
Flag
Yeah, I at first thought 2048 was in 25 years too, seems like it's an age thing....makes you feel old when you think that 2048 is like in 35 years!
Flag
I can't math, but even then, people will be saying it.
Flag
You can do meth though, and maybe by then it won't be illegal.
Flag

yeah probably...technology moves fast, but not that fast
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I'll watch because I'm a genre fans, but the series itself hasn't done any favours to make me excited for it.

I mildly enjoyed Fringe, and don't hate me, but I always thought it to be very overrated. The characters were very underdeveloped in my opinion, except for the shows saving grace Walter Bishop, and it's procedural elements far outshone is serialised elements (which I enjoy more).

Unfortunately, John and Dorian (ah, was that intentional by the writers?) are cops, so this will probably have even more of a procedural aspect then Fringe did, which doesn't bode well for my tastes.

And I've never been a fan of Karl Urban's, and find him extremely painful as Dr. McCoy in Star Trek. He's just too gruff all the time, and here he looks no different.
Flag
I wish people would get over January Jones' supposedly bad acting in X-Men: First Class. That movie was released almost two and a half years ago, it's like people just wanted something to complain about about the film, and when it turned out good, they zeroed in on her.
Flag
Oh, I get it, the title is a reference to the fact that the human is more robotic, and vice versa.
Flag
Honestly it looks so unappealing. I recently watched Urban in the surprisingly not-terrible Judge Dredd remake and the more trailers I watch the more Almost Human just looks that Dredd meets iRobot. But I lived and died for Fringe, so what am I to do but watch?
Flag
After The TomorrowPeople and Agents of Shield , this series was the one I was most looking forward to. But Agents of Shield and Tomorrow People have been meh at most, I pray this doesnt go the same way.
Flag
Always like a sci-fi glimpse at the future, so I'll definitely try it out; that eight-minute-preview already got me curious. Also, I wonder how it'll do rating-wise and how much patience Fox will have with it (after all that advertising...)!
Flag
another robocop show? may not even see the end of season 1. why should it?
Flag
Do not confuse cop + robot (humanoid) for a robocop. This are two different characters and not one. Gives another kindd of interaction. Better in my opinion.
Flag
not confusing anything. robocop theme applies. whatever interaction follows remains to be seen. well at least the trailer looks good.
Flag
Holy hell in a hand basket this looks awesome!
Flag
What should I drink while I'm watching?
Flag
Staff
Orange Juice+Vodka. Also known as a Screwdriver
Flag
Staff
@TimSpot Should I watch Fringe?
Flag
You must watch Fringe, but just as a warning, first 5 6 episodes are NOT the Fringe we talked about. Those episodes have their good side but the real BANG start happening after those several relatively low-type (compare to entire series) episodes. So stick with it. It is worth it.
Flag
Yes x1000.
Flag
Yes
Flag
Yes
Flag
Been waiting for this. Of course I'm going to watch it.
Flag
J.H Wyman? Enough Said.
Flag
FINALLY IT'S HERE!
Flag
I wish someone would come up with something different than another police procedural. If you are going to do an android sci fi thing why can't you reboot Questor. The last of an alien android race sent to guide humans out of their adolescence and keep them from destroying themselves. The twist is that the humans have screwed up his programming and he needs a human to guide him while they evade the law ala Fugitive aliens. Thank Gene Roddenberry for the idea.
Flag
I think you are missing the point a bit with your suggestion. I would watch it, sounds great, but we already know sci-fi is a hard thing to sell to viewers (no idea why, probably most others have too little imagination). So they need to wrap it in something familiar, and everyone is watching cop shows, even though there have been a lot.
Flag
"But there's also a police procedural aspect to it that could appease those who are less-inclined to embrace geekdom."

That's very disappointing. Isn't it more likely to irritate us than to appease them?
Flag
Of course I will watch it. SciFi, homanoids, burned out main character, dark world, it is like Blade Runner as you mentioned. Because Syrinx and I saw this coming we made a post about the themes in the work of the writer of the book behind Blade Runner (Philip K. Dick: A Mastermind, But Underrated for Television? ) and we will discuss films and tv-series in a few days.
Flag
It's exactly what I want to watch, but I'm just worried if it will ever make it past season one. I hated when you reached the ending of a Fringe-season and didn't know if there was going to be more or not.
Flag
I'm sorry, I can't even take this as a serious question.
How can you not give this show a try??!!
Flag
I know right? HOW!!!!!! lol
Flag
Michael Ealy!!!!

That's a yes from me.
Flag
Any man who can carry a movie with his voice alone is welcome on my TV screen, and Michael Ealy is also never bad. Can't wait for this weekend!
Flag
I didn't like Fringe, like at all, but from what I've seen from the trailer and sneak peaks, I'm definitely watching the premiere episodes; plus, I'm a sci-fi geek, so we'll see.
Flag
Sorry, ALL sci-fi geeks liked Fringe since it was the best sci-fi we've ever had.
Flag
It's silly to suggest that everybody from any group would all like anything. And it's pompous for you to suggest it. You don't speak for everyone.
Flag
In that case, I strongly suggest you give Fringe another try. You could be missing something that you'd start to love.
Flag
I don't think that starting this late will be good for show's ratings.
Flag
I am interested in seeing how this works out but I think this should be a killer ratings night for the show.

At first glance, it looks like both nights of Almost Human are going against what are likely to be the highest-rated regular season games for the NFL this year: Broncos vs. KS on Sunday night and New England vs. Carolina on Monday night. That's a losing proposition for any show.

However, Almost Human will be more than halfway done before kickoff on Sunday night so most viewers will likely stay with the episode until the end, and if Sunday night's premier is successful, the show will blow MNF on ESPN out of the water.

I also don't think the holiday's will adversely affect the show.
Overall, it seems like a highly calculated decision.
Flag
premiere not premier
holidays not holiday's
Flag
Did you really need to reply to correct this person's spelling? Get a life.
Flag
I think the network probably figures the audiences for this show and the NFL games are completely different. But those games will probably be over by the time this show airs on the west coast, so there won't be a conflict.
Flag
I really hope that I adjust to Dorian's name quickly. Right now I keep thinking of "Dorian" as a synonym for making mistakes. "That robot cop just malfunctioned. How Dorian." "The robot's head is sparking. Clearly its last repair job was total Dorian."
Flag
What I'm more concerned about is the fact that the pair, a police partners, are named John and Dorian. Because that won't sound weird at all when other characters are calling on them together.
Flag
Didn't JD stand for John Dorian in Scrubs? Cause now thats what I'm going to be thinking about.
Flag
2 words AT LAST
Flag
J.J. Abrams...Karl Urban...androids...aaaaaand Michael Ealy!!!! I've already given this show a permanent slot in my DVR lineup. The show would have to seriously bomb for that to change. Not to mention, it's the lead in for Sleepy Hollow. Monday will likely replace Thursday as my favorite night for TV.
Flag
I wanna see Michael Ealy as much as Karl Urban. Ealy was hilarious and irritating at the same time on Common Law.
Flag
Staff
You'll be very happy with Ealy in the pilot, then.
Flag
Oh geez, I hope that isn't an indictator that he's irritating here, because he was really annoying on Common Law - granted, that was the writing, but he certainly leaned into it.
Flag
Staff
No, I think Ealy's terrific in the pilot.

I didn't see him in Common Law; I'm really only familiar with him from his stint on The Good Wife.
Flag
Oh thank goodness.

I had not realized he was Derrick Bond on The Good Wife for some reason, he was a real douche there too but again, that was the point of the character.
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I have been waiting a long time to watch this show. YIPPIE!!!!
Flag
Definitely watching this one! Can't wait!!!
Flag
I saw the pilot at NYCC and it was really good. Extremely enjoyable. I've been waiting for the series to start ever since.
Flag
Oh and yes, if the show starts off a bit weak like Fringe did, but develops in the same way as Fringe developed for the stellar season 3 (and subsequent ones), then we are in for a real treat. God I need a great new show (Sleepy Hollow is okay and fun, but it suffers from everythingitis).

Flag
I hear everythingitis is fatal, which is why I've sort of stopped watching Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
We'll see, I give them a chance to shape the first season, maybe there's a plan.
Flag
"If you liked Fringe—and you better have liked Fringe " <3
Flag
So, Monday night is now post-creators of Fringe night. Love it!
Flag
Good point! Makes Monday nights all the more special.
Flag
This isn't even a question, it's a no-brainer! Fringe was one of the best shows on television, period.
Flag
Sounds like this owes a lot to Isac Asimov and his very good novel The Caves Of Steel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caves_of_Steel) If so I hope they do as good a job as Asmiov did, will definitely keep my eyes open for the Australian release date.
Flag
I loved Fringe, and since this show's also coming from Wyman and Abrams, hell yea I'm gonna watch it!!
Flag
Karl Urban! nuff said.
Flag
I will watch the first two episodes to see how it is. If it sucks, then I will stop! Trailers and previews didn't look good though. :( Your move, FOX.
Flag
Should i watch........ ?

J.H. Wyman
J.J. Abrams

What more needs to be said?
Flag
Everything about this is right up my alley. A sci-fi procedural from Wyman and staring Urban and Ealy - really, this was tailor made for me. Someone dug around in my skull and pulled this together, it's the only explanation. This is the show I've been the most excited for this fall. Not that I'm complaining about Fall's new slew of TV shows. There are more shows this season that are still on my viewing list than this same time last year. And now Fox is finally adding the pièce de résistance!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members