An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
I had a brief chat with a representative of Fox who assured me they have every intention of broadcasting all 13 episodes of Almost Human. He was also encouraged by this week's ratings and as a "fan of the show" was optimistic for a season 2 renewal as long as ratings hold above a 2.0. Take all this worth a grain of salt since he obviously wants to encourage people to watch something they have paid for. I identified myself as someone who writes for an "entertainment website" (lol - one review!) so I am sure he wants to spin it positively to have me write something encouraging to fans.

I actually wrote earlier that as long it stays above the 2.0 in ratings, it has a strong chance of getting another season. FOX is loving the DVD sales of Fringe and are pleased overall in that investment. I think they will give JH Wyman a chance to bring Almost Human around, even it it's just season by season. We shall see. I'll give you guys ratings reports as they come in. And I have this dudes extension now... I may just burn his phone up! :)

PS - I was asked to look into how many eps this season as that has been hidden really well. I can confirm 13.
74 Comments
Comments (74)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 21, 2014
In general I would be more than happy with 13 episode seasons for all hour shows where the pacing and writing has more urgency.
Long seasons tend to have some filler episodes which can hurt the pace of the show. I have grown to like some of the recent series on network and cable that have shorter seasons.

Flag
Feb 21, 2014
That and all the breaks when they try to stretch a show from September to May
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
I hope the networks are finally realizing that cancelling shows without some closure will hurt DVD sales.
I think that the closure provided with Last Resort and 666 Park Place show that the Networks are thinking about DVD sales.
If Almost Human will not be renewed then I hope the creators will have a chance to provide a satisfying ending. It is in both the Networks and the viewers best interests.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Since they are done filming...if you remember how FRINGE's 1st season ended - I guarantee it's a cliffhanger.
Flag
Jan 22, 2014
I love this show. I try to promote it everywhere I hang out online! I really hope they renew it for another season.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I really like the show I hope it gets a chance!
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I hope it gets more seasons. I hope the girlfriend is hiding in some distant galaxy so that the two would have to take a two season long road trip on an intergalactic highway because their in car dialogues are the best part of this show.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
Be cool if the GF ended up being Anna Torv.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
the show has so much potential and i think if FOX give them a second season the show may find its footing and strengths, AH is better than most shows on the network its on and i hope it breaks the jink of sci fi show fates on FOX. ugh please renew it
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
Fox let JH Wyman finish FRINGE. They are happy with what FRINGE brings in views, syndication, and DVD. They gave Wyman this sucker - my thinking is they will give it every opportunity. And hey guys! Stop being so dour! It had a 2.0 rating last week. Not bad at all!
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Really good leads but it has no tension when I know no one will die and the stories will follow the same pattern, go to destination A meet character B back to the station etc. If people haven't watched it yet True Detectives episode one was excellent. Or The Shadow line BBC show a few years ago easy enough to find, seven episodes one season, very dark but again different from the usual crap.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Now that's good news. I'm also sure there will be a second season and then it will have broken the jinx as none of the detectives with robot sidekicks have until now (read the post).
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
I sure hope so, Rolamb. Imagine Fringe cancelled after an up and down first season? Now - there is no Walter Bishop to just pwn us, but there is a lot to love. Once they allow JH Wyman to start in on the awesome mythology I KNOW he has planned... I think Fox is showing more patience these last few years. I think we have a 13 ep second season with possibility for a full 22. Similar to what was already done for Sleepy Hollow. I could see these 2 back to back on a Friday schedule for years (though I don't wish them that Friday death spot). It is where SciFi seems to end up on Fox.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
I enjoy Almost Human, but i do not trust FOX, so I hold no positive expectation of the future of any show on that channel. I can only hope that Syfy, USA or some other cable channel will pick it up, if FOX drops it.
Flag
Jan 22, 2014
No, not SyFy... they are just as bad about canceling shows. I'm still mad at them for canceling Alphas! lol
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Nice one dude. Looking at the trailer for next ep suggests we are gonna find out the significance of the head/lockup story. Looking forward to it. Really hope this gets a renewal.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
I'm really disappointed in this show. There are many good things about it, the best one being Michael Ealy and the second best Karl Urban.

But it's a fucking procedural! It has absolutely nothing that makes me curious about what will happen on the next episode, because there isn't even a hint of a story. It's just a case of the week, every week.

So **** this show. I think I'm done with it. I still haven't seen the most recent episode, because I couldn't think of a reason to watch it. Why should I sit through 45 minutes when literally nothing that happens in those 45 minutes will be relevant next week?
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
I understand. I really wanted more story arc, less procedural. Wyman says the last 3-4 eps have to be aired in order - so I think we'll have the Insyndicate arc heavy eps from here on out. Fringe started really monster of the week too. They want to let ANYONE be able to jump in at first, get them interested in the characters build that fan base!! THEN they can start going into heavy mythology stuff. I can't disagree with your frustration. But we have 5 eps left - and I bet we will soon get a nice run of story arc to end it. Hang in there!
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I really don't think you can build a fan base this way. The way to get people to care about the characters is to tell a good story (Fringe season 3), or make a character so exceptionally good that people will watch the show for the character even though the stories suck (House).

The only reason why anyone would do a case of the week show is to get a ratings boost from people who don't watch every episode, and/or often miss the first or last third of the episode because they don't get home from work in time or the wife has just finished cooking dinner. You either try to please these people or you try to get real fans. You can't do both.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
Hey - I didn't say I agreed with the network Muckity Mucks - it just appears that is the way they think. It seems like every proposal I hear to networks (hell, even L O S T was presented this way) tries to assure networks the episodes will be able to stand by themselves. I don't get it either, personally. Every show I have fallen in love with gets me hooked on the big picture, the little arcs within a season, and the current Big Bad. I love seeing things unfold over a series with bits and pieces that reward us for paying attention.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Sometimes I do not understand the logic of US TV executives. I would think that a arc kind of story would get more invested viewers. If it is procedural every week, viewers can drop out easily. Even if they wanted to build base, a few episodes would be sufficient enough.

I think now things are changing. Even intelligence is having a over-arc kind of story line as early as the first 2 episodes.

The arc need not be season long, it could be 2-3 episode for a story. It certainly would benefit to make viewers excited to watch the next episode
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
"...it could be 2-3 episode for a story..."

Right. If a show is about people whose job is to work cases, then don't make it one case per episode. Make them take different amounts of time. Make them overlap. Make one case last the entire season. Let them fail sometimes, and then resume the case a few weeks later when they find new evidence. The show shouldn't be 13 independent stories about cases worked by Kennex and Dorian. It should be the story of Kennex and Dorian. Things that happen in an episode should have consequences in later episodes.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Agree totally. Although I wouldn't use "Intelligence" as a positive example of anything. I don't thing that show will survive past January.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I could hardly get through the first episode of "Intelligence" I thought it was terrible!! Boring. I do like Almost Human though. Yeah, it's a bit procedural right now, but there is potential for a story arch. Plus the characters make me laugh.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Sorry but I like this show; I really hope it gets second season. The two main leads are good and their back and forth one liners are amusing. I'm going to continue watching it.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I like it too. The back and forth between the leads reminds me of Hawaii Five-0. I like procedurals if they keep me interested and this one has. So I'll keep watching. I stop watching a TV show when it gets boring and this one hasn't yet. All the future stuff is interesting and I think, realistic. (How advanced criminals are, all the technology). Anyways, I enjoy it too, and hope to continue enjoying it.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
You know I thought of Hawaii Five-0 when I watched it - that same back and forth banter they have on that show. :)
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
I promise you. The last 3 eps will make you feel glad you did.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I don't doubt that Ed, it's been good so far so if it's get better, I'm sold. :)
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
It's a great freakin' show! It should get 22 episodes per year, at the very least.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Damn right. But networks are following the cable TV model since it is so successful. Sleepy Hollow - I WANT 23 eps ...but the pace is so fantastic, I don't want filler eps. So - it may be good for AH as well. Hell - 24 is a ratings gold mine and they are only getting a 12 episode "Event" in May. DOn't consider it a lack of interest by Fox. Just a new strategy. Ratings are good. I just hope season 2 doesn't get the SCC / Dollhouse Friday death slot.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Considering the entire "TV in demand" concept, there shouldn't be any 'death' slot. People DVR what they want..
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Networks are catching on to that. But advertisers ( who essentially PAY for the show) know that DVR'd shows have folks skipping commercials. So - no commercials=no shows. Gotta remember how a network reads their bottom line. DVD/Bluray sales however - they DO think about that quite a bit.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Thoroughly enjoying the show, just a couple of things that may need addressing; it must be clear to everyone that the DRN's (OK Dorian) is superior to the MX's. Perhaps they could show some of the disadvantages or frailties that Dorian has or useful things that MX's can do. They're a bit OTT on the little cop and Rudy's roll could be enhanced.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Borg is right. Michael Ealy actually spilled that we will be seeing exactly that this season. The DRN's were too human in that they could have emotional breakdowns. Dorian's is coming....
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Good point. The closest we've gotten has been Dorian talking the mechanic DRX along on a case. Is it the human element that is the flaw in a DRN? I mean Dorian obviously has great analytical skills, as well as being a computer, as we saw in the last episode with the bullet. The show hasn't portrayed Dorian as inferior, he is the opposite, unless he is unique among the DRNs? Maybe this is something they will get into with future plots.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Just great a show like Almost Human comes along and look what happens not even been given a proper chance to find it's feet what have they got to replace it dancing with the stars or cooking with "somebody" or I'm a big shot get me out of here and this rate I won't be watching Fox for much longer.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Actually Indy - the news was good. Yeah - it would have been nice to get a full season - but this is kind of the trend. Only 13 episodes were ordered - we'll see them all. And it could be renewed.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I actually prefer 13 episodes for many shows. Usually the pace is better, and there aren't any "filler" episodes. Usually the writing is better too. Most shows on cable are 13 episodes or so and I find the quality better. Imagine how good shows like Grey's Anatomy, which is already great, could be if it was just 13 eps?
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
It has certainly served Sleepy Hollow VERY well. Excited yet sad the 2 hour finale is tomorrow. At least I know it is renewed!
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I hear you guys and thanks for the replies. It's just so annoying to see a show and then gone and the weird thing is it would be good but good is not what they are looking for. So with any luck I can look forward to seeing these guys again (and the show) for a season 2.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
best sci-fi show out there. It brings lots of interesting things about artificial intelligence, consciousness and affective computing.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks, Ed! I'm glad things are looking promising. But just once I wish a JH Wyman show wouldn't have to worry about the constant threat of cancellation.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
A-freakin-men
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
That's really cool that you did that Ed. Good for you and thank you because I really had no idea how many episodes the first season would have. Did this representative mention anything about the episode order? In other words do you know if episodes 9-13 will air in the correct order? Or when episode 4 will air?
Again, thank you so much for looking into this. Very clever btw and you should call yourself an "entertainment website writer" because I'm sure everyone loved your review.
P.S. Was it the representative who said that they're happy with the sales of Fringe DVDs? If you ever call this guy again, any chance that you could ask if they'll put out a Fringe Special Edition Complete Series Boxset? I mean I don't even know if the people at FOX would have that information or if it's Warner Bros? But if they do - it would be great to know (please?). Because the one that came out was very basic - just the 5 seasons in a black box. No fancy packaging and no extras at all.

Flag
Jan 18, 2014
All he would give me about the order of the rest of the season is it would be aired "mostly" according to production order, but he honestly wasn't sure. Whatever the hell that means. Like I said in an early comment, they aired through Ep 10 (Simon Says) which means there are 2 more to catch up on. I just have to believe Wyman built in a proper arc to finish the season, so they have to air 11-13 together to finish the season. THAT - or Fox is signing it's death warrant.

The Fringe sales info was from last year - a business article of all things. It was talking about the way companies look at products now, TV or Movie, and how they do take potential DVD sales in consideration (as well as syndication) when deciding to greenlight stuff. Obviously, the magic # for TV is 100 eps in order to be able to sell it for syndication. The article listed a few movies and then TV shows (including Fringe and Firefly) that brought a ton of money in after the fact with home video sales. They made good money off Fringe's syndication rights as well.

So bottom line: SciFi fans are notorious for gobbling up DVDs of their favorite SciFi. Wyman and Bad Robot has proven itself in the genre and their shows do very well in mediums other than broadcasts. So - it buys Wyman and Bad Robot a lot of wiggling room.

And hell - the ratings look pretty good. I look at some shows still hanging in with below 1.0 rating. A 2.0 isn't bad at all. Sleepy Hollow was a good lead out (last week it went up to a 2.2) - that was a solid 2-hour block of SciFi/Fantasy. Hope they stick something decent in to replace it next Monday.
More +
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah I think it'll depend on what replaces Sleepy Hollow but hopefully it won't drop too much either way. Thanks for the info though. Good stuff.

Yeah I'm one of those sci-fi fans that likes to have original special edition DVDs & Blu-Rays but I didn't bother getting the Fringe Boxset because it's literally just the exact same as buying the seasons separately (unlike L O S T who put out amaze-balls box sets for several seasons and the complete is the best) and since I had 1-4 already I just bought 5. I hope they do a 10th anniversary Boxset or something for Fringe one day. There was a lot of chatter of extra material from several episodes that never made it onto any of the DVDs or Blu-Rays so I'm really hoping they're saving it for a special edition Boxset.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
Nice bit it info.
13 is short for FOX, but maybe not that bad a number, because it gives Wyman enough time to tweak the show for season 2 and maybe improve it and it's numbers a bit.

Does anyone know where to get not just the nielssen ratings but also the dvr+7 ratings? Those seem more relevant these days....
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
From what I read they pay more attention to DVR +3. But they consider it all. It's just that advertisers who pay for commercials (which funds the show) know that DVR watchers skip commercials. Hard to get a big # for ads when you can't sell it on live ratings
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Thats why for the dvr+3 and +7 numbers they only count those who watch the show WITH the commercials. If you skip the commercials when watching from DVR you don't count, because as you said, you are irrelevant to the advertisment industry.
In the end its not about the show. nobody cares if you watch a show. the show is just a vehicle to get you to watch the commercials. thats all that counts - at least on broadcast TV. Things are slightly different on paid cable and such.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Xub - I did not know that! How do they have the means to know if you DVRd it and FF through the commercials or not? That;' what I was getting at - recording off live TV and then just hitting FF at every break. I don't know anyone who just hits "play" and lets it run through the hour.
Flag
Jan 20, 2014
I'm not exactly sure about the technical side of things. But I suspect they know the same way they know that you watched it from your dvr in the first place: the dvr tells them - one way or the other.
A couple of sources that say its the company that builds the dvr. Also very interesting about that whole business background: This roundtable of company executives - the bit about DVR numbers starts at about 15:00.

Flag
Jan 19, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
TVbythenumbers posts the dvr+7 numbers when they come out.
Flag
Jan 19, 2014
Nice. Thank you!
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
I'd say it could probably go as low as 1.8 and still be renewed.
And you might be able to wrangle yourself an interview if it does get renewed.
Good job
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks Grumpy! Glad I could help. Had some 1/2 days at work and I have had a blast playing "media guy" LOL

I think you are right - but I think my source was telling me what would assure a renewal. Is RAKE taking Sleepy Hollow's slot? That might be an even better lead in - although I think Sleepy is outdoing their highest hopes at the network. My favorite show of the Fall - going to miss it. But I do see RAKE (Kinnear is awesome!) doing really well.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
Sorry. Lead-out I mean.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    America's Got Talent Judge Cuts 2
    NEW
    NBC
  • 10:00 pm
    World of Dance The Cut 2