An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
Looking back at the first season of Almost Human, a few things spring to mind. First: the evolving respects and friendship between a damaged man and an equally damaged robot; the first is part robot, the second is part human. That’s an excellent starting point.

Second and following: the inSyndicate business, the mole inside the department, John’s ex-girlfriend Anna, the Dorian-file, John’s father, to mention a few.

To me, the latter look like bait being thrown into the pond to catch big fish. As if Wyman is preparing us with seemingly random bits and pieces for the next season, in which a larger storyline will come into view. Some parts of that storyline won’t be pursued, others will get more attention. I remember from Lost that the black smoke was a big topic in the first season, including a polar bear, which kinda lost its edge and was only referred to as a mandatory we-need-to-tie-this-loose-end in the final season.

I guess that’s the downside of the startup of a series like this. The creative minds behind it can’t go too far into the future because they don’t know yet whether it will be continued. So they give us, the audience, a variety of elements that all have potential to grow into a real, good, story arc and still be able to live next to the procedural episodes. Like a sieve, the less promising items will be shifted from the good and - given time - the outcome will be satisfying, but will inevitably also leave some questions unanswered or insufficiently explained.

Which brings me basically to my plea: continue the show. It takes time to get into a new place, a new world with new people. Thirteen episodes isn’t all that much to begin with, but if it’s the upbeat for season 2 (and following) I’ll go for it.

The characters: excellent portraits by Karl Urban, Michael Ealy, Mackenzie Crook and the rest of the AH team - deserve a much longer run of this show than just one season. Their chemistry and the eagerness to put down real life people with real life ups and downs is too good to let go.

And so do we, the viewers, deserve the follow-up. In a world that is riddled with reality shows, best singer-cook-dancer-skater-whatever, it is a relief to weekly tune into Almost Human.

So yes, I say it with the utmost conviction and as a salute to the actors, Wyman & Co, Fox and us, the viewers and fans:

Of course there will a second season.
30 Comments
Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oh, but if it were true...
Flag
Or not...
Flag
boooohoeeehooeeeehoooo (weeps loudly)...
Flag
Sometimes the stories are formula, but oh wow the chemistry is fantastic.
Flag
Thank you for this great news I am so happy to know there is another season, I can't wait to see it..........
Flag
"Of course there will be a second season" is just what she would like to say to people who are asking if there will be. It hasn't been renewed yet. All we know is that its ratings are kind of low but not terrible, and that Fox has NOT given them an order for the rest of season 1 (episodes 14-22).
Flag
Regarding Firefly: so true. And hopefully Almost Human has a longer and more prosperous life ahead. However, one of the biggest differences is that AH appeals to us on an almost personal level, because it so much looks and feels like it could actually be our regular world one day, whereas Firefly was a bit Cowboys in Space (no pun intended). Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly but I think that Almost Human has better chance of landing upon a larger audience, simply because it is closer to home (again, no pun intended). Alas, ratings are still the main catalyst for a go or a no-go.
So, I'll play the ostrich, bury my head in the sand and stick to my conviction: of course there will be a second season!
Flag
@Lanthias_theShadow - Firefly nothing, what about the Futurama debacle?! FOX can display far less sense than Lindsay Lohan, on occasion =\
Flag
Great write up!! Definitely agree with all points made. I just hope Fox pays attention to the fans this time (:cough: Firefly :cough:).
Flag
Fingers crossed; great actors, good character writing, some intriguing mysteries and a visually lovely show - it would be a crime to not at least give them another 13 episodes to work with!
Flag
Great all is well in the world then. Lol
I love the show its the best scifi series on tv at the moment.
Flag
Every Firefly fan probably thought the exact same thing, and we had a better first season too. Nothing is impossible with FOX and they have disappointed before.
Flag
yep, 'course, 'cause there's always kickstarter if all else fails!
Flag
The show has grown on me. I like the interaction between the two main characters - a variation on the old buddy action movies.
Would continue watching if a second season but have seen better shows cancelled and to be honest I would not be heart broken if it did not return.
The show on the cusp that I am hoping returns is Dracula.
Flag
i really hope u right. i would love a second season. seems like the creative team was a little bit too cautious for this first season and with the episodes being aired "out of order" it didn't play in favor of the show.

AH has the potential to be a great show even greater than fringe i think. i am just mesmerized when i watch Karl Urban, Michael Ealy, Mackenzie Crook, great performances all around, these guys really get their characters.
they just need a great story now
Flag
As I promised the folks in my review, i talked to someone at FOX who was fairly forthcoming earlier (when I found out we were only getting 13 episodes). I swear he read off a prepared statement. "Happy with the numbers, grateful to the fans - a decision will be made on a second season in due time. Wish I had better news - but at least no news means there is still a chance.
Flag
I really believe there will be a second season, as well. Looking forward to it. Good write-up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members